Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2009, 13:35   #1
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: in a Toyota!
Posts: 2,686
Thanked: 592 Times
Default Meerut - Supplier to Mayapuri Jeep Market?

hey guys i was wondering that we had talk about ex-army disposal jeeps in all kinds of cities and towns in north india....

....dabwali, mayapuri etc.....but has anyone been to Meerut for the availability of ex-army disposal jeeps?

remember there is Meerut Cantt with huge army depot and base there.

please comment if anyone has been there already to source the jeeps. because i know most of the jeeps we see in Mayapuri, come from Meerut Cantt.

Major Sandeep can elaborate on this topic!
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2009, 13:48   #2
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 304
Thanked: 240 Times
Default

The scrap market of Meerut called soti ganj is probably the largest scrap market up north. Here you can get any and every spare part/body part for your car. And what tops it that unlike Delhi's mayapuri or jama masjid these people are very honest!! They will never try to con you.
It sits right on the Delhi Meerut road running through meerut. When going to Meerut stick to this road and enter the town (don't take by-pass) and you will know when you are there trust me .

They don't stock army disposals though Meerut is the largest cantonment area near Delhi and the recent e-auctions held up north (this February only) had all the vehicles stationed at Meerut. Best you can find here is mm540's and cj3b's. These are in Meerut in plenty but most of them converted to 4x2.

But this market is surely worth a visit. Last time I was there shopping for my fiat I was able to source the replacement door in the same color as mine for just 400 bucks complete with glass and handles and lock!!. Just had to get it rubbed and fitted.

cheers
vishwas
vishwaschettri is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 10:42   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
Kandisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Noida
Posts: 1,041
Thanked: 204 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
....Best you can find here is mm540's and cj3b's. These are in Meerut in plenty but most of them converted to 4x2.

...But this market is surely worth a visit. Last time I was there shopping for my fiat I was able to source the replacement door in the same color as mine for just 400 bucks complete with glass and handles and lock!!. Just had to get it rubbed and fitted....
cheers
vishwas
Wow thats really some deal! I also have heard about the market but couldn't manage to go till now. How far is it from Delhi/Noida (kms)? I am interested to pick a pair of good comfortable seats.
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 11:09   #4
Team-BHP Support
 
khan_sultan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,631
Thanked: 2,947 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Wow thats really some deal! I also have heard about the market but couldn't manage to go till now. How far is it from Delhi/Noida (kms)? I am interested to pick a pair of good comfortable seats.
This would be ~50 kms from Noida.

The amount you would save on seats, you could end up spending in fuel & time there. Also, parking would be a HUGE hassle there in this market and you would leave your vehicle at your own risk there.

But yes, Meerut scrap market is one of the biggest and the scrap dealers of Meerut are involved in scrap of not only automobiles but also whole factories etc.

Also, I have heard that lots of stolen vehicles from delhi end up in meerut as spares.


Cheers,
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 11:14   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
Kandisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Noida
Posts: 1,041
Thanked: 204 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
This would be ~50 kms from Noida.

The amount you would save on seats, you could end up spending in fuel & time there. Also, parking would be a HUGE hassle there in this market and you would leave your vehicle at your own risk there.
...Also, I have heard that lots of stolen vehicles from delhi end up in meerut as spares.
Hmm, thats a point. Actually i heard that its possible to get good condition seats from high end cars at a much lower price out there. And yeah Meerut does have the tag of a dumpyard of stolen cars from NCR.
-regards,
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 23:16   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 304
Thanked: 240 Times
Default

As Mr. Khan put it, it is approx 50~60 km from Noida.
Now assuming your other option would be Mayapuri (~ 35 km?) or Jama Masjid (~ 25 km?), I think for NCR people on this side, Meerut would makes more sense as you would take almost same time to reach there and just a little bit more fuel.
Also this market is way bigger than jama masjid and mayapuri so more option and prices are lower as well.
I found them pretty honest as well. They will tell you about the exact condition of the part as far as they know.
I bought a tank for my rx and they clearly told me which were repainted/repaired and which one were as it is. Found one for 250 rs. another 250 to paint it and it is better than any OE tank available. Bargaining and not looking posh is the keyword.
If you are paranoid about safety of your vehicle than you can park it in a cinema hall 'filmistan' which will be on your right as soon as this market will start. It should be safe there though the hall itself looks pretty shady .

Cheers
Vishwas

p.s. As for stolen cars ending there, actually this market is the last resort for thieves as these dealers are very ruthless and pay very less for stolen vehicle. The word is, a stolen M800 fetches 5000 rs here. Also the margins are very low in scrapping a vehicle. Best bet for car thieves is to resale it with forged documents in other states and that is what they do mostly.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Hmm, thats a point. Actually i heard that its possible to get good condition seats from high end cars at a much lower price out there. And yeah Meerut does have the tag of a dumpyard of stolen cars from NCR.
-regards,
vishwaschettri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 08:41   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

This is great
I too heard about the Meerut scrapyard but had not idea that it would be this huge.
I would love to visit this sometime in the future.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 09:39   #8
Team-BHP Support
 
khan_sultan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,631
Thanked: 2,947 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
...
Also this market is way bigger than jama masjid and mayapuri so more option and prices are lower as well.
Yes. that's true.

Quote:
..I found them pretty honest as well. They will tell you about the exact condition of the part as far as they know.
I would put it this way: they are blunt & straight forward. They speak their mind -- but in a 'not so rude' manner

Quote:
If you are paranoid about safety of your vehicle than you can park it in a cinema hall 'filmistan' which will be on your right as soon as this market will start.
Many many years ago, this hall used to be called 'Bansal' IIRC -- just after the roadways bus stand.

A nostalgic thread for me atleast -- as I belong to Meerut and know these areas like the back of my hand.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 12:06   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 304
Thanked: 240 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Many many years ago, this hall used to be called 'Bansal' IIRC -- just after the roadways bus stand.

A nostalgic thread for me atleast -- as I belong to Meerut and know these areas like the back of my hand.
So did I. Spent better part of my life there . I think you are right it is Bansal only.

cheers
vishwas
vishwaschettri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 12:14   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 613
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

This market is a great place to pick up used alloys. You can get a set of 4 for about 4-6K.

\N
ntomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 13:18   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
Kandisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Noida
Posts: 1,041
Thanked: 204 Times
Default

Good source of info there @Khan & @viswas. How is the bargaining part? Do they quote leaps and bounds initially? The same way as in mayapuri?
@ntometer, the alloys at this price range are in good shape?
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 13:54   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 613
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
@ntometer, the alloys at this price range are in good shape?
Mostly these alloys are from stolen cars and are in great shape.

And it's ntomer, not ntometer :-)

\N
ntomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 15:07   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
Kandisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Noida
Posts: 1,041
Thanked: 204 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Mostly these alloys are from stolen cars and are in great shape.

And it's ntomer, not ntometer :-)

\N
Oh, that explains it! Sorry for the error, noted sir
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 16:58   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NOIDA
Posts: 252
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

if anone interested, we can make a plan to go to meerut over this weekend, on maybe saturday, post lunch, i know meerut well too, studied at the medical college there.
kandisa,harjeev...
docfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 18:26   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfreak View Post
if anone interested, we can make a plan to go to meerut over this weekend, on maybe saturday, post lunch, i know meerut well too, studied at the medical college there.
kandisa,harjeev...
Sharat,
I am game. There just this thing that I might get my jeep either this sat or sun, so will be at my workshop. I will come to know by thursday or friday. Will let you know by then.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ZF moves to buy TRW - Shake up in the supplier market batterylow The International Automotive Scene 1 16th August 2014 12:02
MAYAPURI Jeeps - Radiation leak in army disposal market fazalaliadil Shifting gears 21 30th April 2010 19:32
Fire in Meerut and BraveHeart Javed !! man23ish Shifting gears 1 15th April 2006 22:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks