Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2009, 20:44   #226
Senior - BHPian
 
rkbharat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gurgaon/New Delhi
Posts: 1,590
Thanked: 606 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan View Post
Recently I had been to Ladakh ,where I fractured my leg trying to take a good photo .
Rahul, we must take our Gurkhas to Leh ,Ladakh,Khardungla as the drive would be one which we would always remember.
This place is a haven for off-roaders.
Hills,rugged terrain and beckoning slopes would greet you.
I cant describe you enough,just imagine a small kid's joy let lose in Disneyland.
I saw the use of an ice chain for the first time on a military vehicle.
So lets start making plans for the next year in advance,as now it would be very cold and icy and roads are mostly blocked.
I have already worked out a plan.
I know of a place in Leh where we could get good food,drinks and stay at a very economical price.I am in contact with a local who could guide us to less visited sites which we could cover with our Gurkhas.At some places we may have to stay in Tents
As I have seen the terrain and it's difficulties I know what gear we would need.
I saw many garages in Leh catering to all vehicle types including "Force" should we have any problems.
Leh's very low on Oxygen,but we may not have any altitude sickness as we would take a gradual ascent via Manali-Surchu-Leh. The problem of altitude sickness is real and one couple had to abort their travel and take a flight to Delhi for severe headache.
Grewal has reported a problem about Gurkha's cold start,we may have to face that too.
let me know.
Don't miss the off-road opportunities at Gata Loops and ascent towards changla, just after Sakti. And if you plan to stay at spangmik, offroad is unavoidable
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 21:04   #227
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,990
Thanked: 354 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan View Post
Recently I had been to Ladakh ,where I fractured my leg trying to take a good photo .
Rahul, we must take our Gurkhas to Leh ,Ladakh,Khardungla as the drive would be one which we would always remember.
This place is a haven for off-roaders.
Hills,rugged terrain and beckoning slopes would greet you.
I cant describe you enough,just imagine a small kid's joy let lose in Disneyland.
I saw the use of an ice chain for the first time on a military vehicle.
So lets start making plans for the next year in advance,as now it would be very cold and icy and roads are mostly blocked.
I have already worked out a plan.
I know of a place in Leh where we could get good food,drinks and stay at a very economical price.I am in contact with a local who could guide us to less visited sites which we could cover with our Gurkhas.At some places we may have to stay in Tents
As I have seen the terrain and it's difficulties I know what gear we would need.
I saw many garages in Leh catering to all vehicle types including "Force" should we have any problems.
Leh's very low on Oxygen,but we may not have any altitude sickness as we would take a gradual ascent via Manali-Surchu-Leh. The problem of altitude sickness is real and one couple had to abort their travel and take a flight to Delhi for severe headache.
Grewal has reported a problem about Gurkha's cold start,we may have to face that too.
let me know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Don't miss the off-road opportunities at Gata Loops and ascent towards changla, just after Sakti. And if you plan to stay at spangmik, offroad is unavoidable
Also not to forget the desert safari at Hunder Sand dunes, Diskit to Wari La, Descent from Wari La
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 00:03   #228
BHPian
 
mohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mumbai.
Posts: 298
Thanked: 368 Times
Default @rk bharat ,milecruncher

Wow! You guys have already gone through this excitement. Hope we could all join up, to meet those lofty heights,in a newer perspective.
mohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 23:19   #229
BHPian
 
rhandle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 554
Thanked: 107 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan View Post
Wow! You guys have already gone through this excitement. Hope we could all join up, to meet those lofty heights,in a newer perspective.
This would be really great. Lets plan a trip.

We had a great OTR this Saturday. My Wife joined me and she did one climb and Gurkha made it look so easy for her. I was even able to climb this hill in reverse gear which was fun, though few Jeeps struggled to climb over it, making me realise climbing this hill would not have been this easy for my wife had it not been a Gurkha!.

rhandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 12:47   #230
Senior - BHPian
 
vinod_nookala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 411 Times
Default

rhandle,
Wonderful Video. I could see the confidence build up in your wife as she was doing it all over again. Couldnt stop laughing when she prayed to god just before her first descend:-))))

Great to see your wife enjoyed the drive of Gurkha as much as you do:-))
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 13:32   #231
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,338
Thanked: 14,168 Times
Default

Were the diff locks used during this routine, either one or both?
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 14:41   #232
BHPian
 
rhandle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 554
Thanked: 107 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Were the diff locks used during this routine, either one or both?
No Diff. Locks were used sir.

Had a real use of them some time back, when my front left tire went in to a ditch dug by Metro in Noida. So the diagonal opposite tires were in air with no ground contact. Pulled in both Diff. Locks and 4wd Low Reverse - the vehicle came out as if it was on plane ground.
rhandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 15:33   #233
BHPian
 
rhandle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 554
Thanked: 107 Times
Default



Another video going down, this was a kind of tricky. Thanks to Sarviner's guidance I was able to do it.
rhandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 16:01   #234
BHPian
 
Prithvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 301
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
This would be really great. Lets plan a trip.

We had a great OTR this Saturday. My Wife joined me and she did one climb and Gurkha made it look so easy for her. I was even able to climb this hill in reverse gear which was fun, though few Jeeps struggled to climb over it, making me realise climbing this hill would not have been this easy for my wife had it not been a Gurkha!.

CONGRATS on getting your wife to do some off roadin! Now lets see if I can convince my wife to do the same in the Land Rover Defender 110. First will have to carry her into it or get a ladder so she can get inside Oh! but then will she be able to see the front as the huge tyre is on the bonnet.
Prithvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 16:40   #235
BHPian
 
mohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mumbai.
Posts: 298
Thanked: 368 Times
Default @Rahul,

That video was fantastic.
I mean, it's great to see a beginner and a woman(Excuse me here! I don't mean to do any gender profiling but is not off-roading a male domain?) making a steep climb and a descent,going by her demeanor, for the first time in style and pomp.!!.
It looked as though from the video and the commentary that other vehicles had hard time
I think Mrs.Anu would have learned first-hand why Rahul is all praises for his GURKHA.
So Congrats Anuji and hope to see more off-roading videos from you.

Rahul,in the second video ,what made your GURKHA go sideways while descending,was it a boulder or was it just slippery?
Had you deflated your tires and if so to what psi?

Last edited by mohan : 16th November 2009 at 16:53.
mohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 16:53   #236
BHPian
 
Souvik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 100
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

@Rahul: I do not know what to say. After work, my wife and I sit together and go over the off-roading experience that you and your wife are doing. Trust me, we have no words.

Souvik
Souvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 17:10   #237
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,338
Thanked: 14,168 Times
Default

Souvik, offroading is a great family sport. There are many such offroading couples on the forum. BHPian Chandan's wife is a seasoned offroader, Khan_sultan's wife drives offroad on and off, M.P.Sreeni's wife is a regular too, my wife doesn't drive but is a regular offroad passenger. There are many other spouses who are regulars, but I can't recall them.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 17:38   #238
Newbie
 
A.P.S.Grewal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 22
Thanked: Once
Default leh

Gurkha
just came a month back.
204 days trip
coverd Hunder end, Pangon lake end
Attached Images
               
A.P.S.Grewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 18:00   #239
BHPian
 
Souvik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 100
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Thank you Samurai. You know how it feels, is when you have a Swift and you look at these threads and then think, oh my God, wish we could do the same. It is that feeling that my wife and I am going through now.

We want to do a lot more but there are blockers and we are clearing them on the go. Just wish that we can do some of these soon, very soon. We are planning Ladakh next year, to break the shackles of blockers and "just do it". May be, just may be, we will be able to upgrade to off-roading in a couple of years.

Souvik
Souvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 18:10   #240
Newbie
 
A.P.S.Grewal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 22
Thanked: Once
Default correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.P.S.Grewal View Post
Gurkha
just came a month back.
204 days trip
coverd Hunder end, Pangon lake end
its not 204days
its 24 days trip
A.P.S.Grewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dummies Guide to Driving a Town Bus wildsdi5530 Commercial Vehicles 11 5th November 2010 00:43
FIAT Palio 1.2 NV Sport EDIT - 17000 kms Update neoonwheels Long-Term Ownership Reviews 16 15th March 2010 10:25
17000 Watt Car Stereo abhibh In-Car Entertainment 7 6th December 2007 05:08
Formula One Racing For Dummies milindbajekal Int'l Motorsport 2 23rd February 2005 15:29
Car Hacks and Mods for Dummies milindbajekal Modifications & Accessories 2 9th February 2005 10:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks