Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 20th April 2009, 12:36   #1
BHPian

Default My Jeep. Hot Shower. Go figure.

My Jeep keeps finding new ways of surprising me. Yesterday, I was driving to my parents' place, when I noticed that the temperature gauge showed around 100! I stopped and looked into the radiator, and found there was enough water. I thought I'll give it a rest of 15 minutes, then start again. I did just that, and was trundling along, when suddenly, I heard a POP sound and hot water was spraying on my feet from the gaps behind the pedals. I stopped yet again, and found that the %$%@#$ radiator's hose has burst.

I was quite anxious to get back home in one piece. Luckily, home was close by, and I reached without further incident.

Can anybody tell me, why this happens, and how can this be avoided?
rohanarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 14:53   #2
BHPian

Maybe the radiator pipe was cracked due to something rubbing against it ? In my JEEP's case it was the fan belt which was rubbing against it. Check this link

Please post some under hood photos for our better understanding.

Last edited by Sabareesh : 20th April 2009 at 14:55.
Sabareesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 16:25   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanarthur View Post
....when I noticed that the temperature gauge showed around 100! I stopped and looked into the radiator, and found there was enough water.....
How long did you wait before opening the radiator cap?

Be very careful when doing so, as the pressure can make it open violently, and steam will exit causing burns etc.

How hot was it?

I have a suspicion that your thermostat valve might be stuck in the closed position. Check it out.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/246847-post12.html

Do also give us more details / pics.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 16:50   #4
BHPian

Radiator hoses can burst due to two reasons -

- old, worn out radiator hoses
- excess pressure in the cooling system/problem with the circulation

If the radiator hose was new, then its likely that have a problem with the cooling system.
I agree with Rehan, check the thermostat and also look at the radiator fan.

Is the fan belt driven or electric ?
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 21:05   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanarthur View Post
My Jeep keeps finding new ways of surprising me. Yesterday, I was driving to my parents' place, when I noticed that the temperature gauge showed around 100! I stopped and looked into the radiator, and found there was enough water. I thought I'll give it a rest of 15 minutes, then start again. I did just that, and was trundling along, when suddenly, I heard a POP sound and hot water was spraying on my feet from the gaps behind the pedals. I stopped yet again, and found that the %$%@#$ radiator's hose has burst.

I was quite anxious to get back home in one piece. Luckily, home was close by, and I reached without further incident.

Can anybody tell me, why this happens, and how can this be avoided?

Hi Rohan,
Long time man, wassup??? Please check the following on your jeep.
Contributors to overheating:
1> Radiator cap for correct working of pressure release springs.(it would be better not to have a radiator cap than one of suspect pressure spring quality.
2> Fan belt for slack.(Loose fan belts will slip and affect rotation of fan and water pump.
3> The thermostat valve can sometimes get stuck due to deposits and decrease the flow of water and hence contribute to increased water temp.
4> The hoses for cracks which will develop over time.So do radiator joints.
5> Leakage if any in the cylinder head gasket which allows the compression to build up in coolant system.
6> Tell tale signs of the above would also be oil in radiator and bubbling of radiator water when inspected with the cap off.
Remedies plausible In case of positive diagnosis :
7> Being No. 1, would suggest you remove the radiator cap,check and replenish lost fluid and drive.(Also remember you would lose a bit of water every time you switched off so you may need to compensate after a while.)
8> Being No 2, tighten the fan belt,perform visual check for soundness of system and proceed.
9> Being No 3,( hard to diagnose in the middle of the road) so perform suggested remedy No 7.
10> Being No 4, use a tape or cloth to bind the crack together,and repeat actions for diagnosis No7.Turmeric powder,and eggs have done very well for me while dealing with minor radiator cracks whilst driving in remote areas,in the absence of M seal.
11> Perform action suggested in No 7 as many times as you would feel right till you reach your destination.
12> Last but not the least,try and keep a couple of hoses,hose clips,water, and M seal handy.
Cheers
Jammy
MM440 is offline   Reply With Quote