Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2009, 16:29   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,240
Thanked: 600 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Di turbo is 63 bhp and some 18@1500 -1800 rpm torque. Xd3p Euro II is derated at 68 bhp and torque is 13.5 kgm@2000 rpm
Oh yeah, thanks now i remember.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 16:29   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
vinod_nookala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 410 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
done, bull bar removed, front tyres changed to Apollo Hawkz AT, and yes 4 WD is working
Wonderful. How did it start working? what was the problem? Post some offroading pics, articulation etc etc....

In my opinion you should have gone for mechlin 235 the tyre headers has on his gypsy. Apollo hawkz not good in slush. Anyway momentum is the key. Do consider removing the foot boards if you plan some serious offroading. they hit ground very easily!
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 17:19   #18
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,890
Thanked: 2,316 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
here is a photo of my bolero 4WD with shift on fly 4wd
I still prefer the squared look of your Bolero to the rounded out look of the current version.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 17:27   #19
VEA
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cochin
Posts: 140
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
@ VEA what are you going to doing with your 540...keep it or sell it :-)
Yes Jango, I will be selling the 540 after getting the bolero or armada.
VEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 17:49   #20
VEA
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cochin
Posts: 140
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
VEA,
Nice choice of 4wd vehicles you have there! Here in chennai we dont have such good choice. Please post the pics of these vehicles for us to evaluate the options.
Even I was surpised at the choice available. Most of these are located in Idukki district, the high ranges in Kerala. Unfortunately, I didnt click pictures of these vehicles or would have posted them here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
DI-Turbo Bolero 4WD for the following reason
1) MDI3200TC
2) NGCS
3) OKBJ & FFRA
4) Power-Steering
5) NGT520 (5+1)
Thanks Arka, Even I'm keen on it. Its a 2006 Di Turbo which has done 60K. Asking price is 3.75 Lakhs. Is the price ok? The stock tyre dia I beleive is nearly 27". Is it possible to upgrade it to 31" and without any mods other than differential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
exactly the same reason i changed my MM550 XDP 4WD, and every1 ridiculed me. i am now a proud owner of a Bolero 4x4 XDp and its beautiful./
it cant compare very well with the mm540, but then it climbs, dont worry
You cant be blamed. I sold off my Gypsy King mpfi and bought the 540 thinking the Gypsy bounces too much. Well, the 540 does'nt bounce as much, but it has its own problems. Jeeps are fun and capable, but the fact is that you'll start to dislike it if you are forced to use it instead of you choosing to drive it.
VEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 18:25   #21
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,890
Thanked: 2,316 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEA View Post
Thanks Arka, Even I'm keen on it. Its a 2006 Di Turbo which has done 60K. Asking price is 3.75 Lakhs. Is the price ok? The stock tyre dia I beleive is nearly 27". Is it possible to upgrade it to 31" and without any mods other than differential?
If the mileage is genuine 60K is not much for the DI engine. These are hardy engines and should do atleast 2 lakh km, if not more.

If you go with 7.50 x 16 army tires (apollo bullet, mrf sandgrip, JK LT 4x4, etc), you can get 31" tires without any changes to the wheel well. However, if you want to go for regular radials you will have to go for 31x10.5x15 or 265/70/16. I think both these will require some modification to prevent the wheels from scraping the inside of the wheel arches. The diffs obviously will have to be changed to compensate for the larger tires otherwise your pick up will drop.

Regarding the price, since there are hardly any 4WD Boleros available, it is difficult to get a fair market value comparision, so I would suggest finding the price for simlarly equipped 2WD Bolero and adding about a 50K premium for the 4WD.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 21:46   #22
VEA
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cochin
Posts: 140
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
If you go with 7.50 x 16 army tires (apollo bullet, mrf sandgrip, JK LT 4x4, etc), you can get 31" tires without any changes to the wheel well. However, if you want to go for regular radials you will have to go for 31x10.5x15 or 265/70/16. I think both these will require some modification to prevent the wheels from scraping the inside of the wheel arches. The diffs obviously will have to be changed to compensate for the larger tires otherwise your pick up will drop.
Is it because of the tyre width that the regular radials doesnt fit in? I have a plan to fit 15 inch tyres, if possible on the stock rim itself.
VEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 22:00   #23
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,890
Thanked: 2,316 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEA View Post
Is it because of the tyre width that the regular radials doesnt fit in? I have a plan to fit 15 inch tyres, if possible on the stock rim itself.
235/75/15 should be okay but from what I hear that will cause the tires to scrape the inside of the wheel arch under load. This tire however will give you about 28.8 inches not the 31 inches you like. I was saying that if you want to go to 31 inch diameter tire, the narrowest you will find is the 7.50x16 army mm540 tires. Most other tires that have 31 inch overall radius have a cross section width of 255+ mm which will definitely rub the inside of the tire well.

You could try to source 235/85/16. This is the OEM tire for the Landrover Defender and the Landcruiser 70 series. However these are very hard to find. Beboy was able to get the Nankang importer to get him these tires. You can see pictures of his jeep in progress.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 00:44   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,985
Thanked: 351 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEA View Post
Is it because of the tyre width that the regular radials doesnt fit in? I have a plan to fit 15 inch tyres, if possible on the stock rim itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
235/75/15 should be okay but from what I hear that will cause the tires to scrape the inside of the wheel arch under load. This tire however will give you about 28.8 inches not the 31 inches you like. I was saying that if you want to go to 31 inch diameter tire, the narrowest you will find is the 7.50x16 army mm540 tires. Most other tires that have 31 inch overall radius have a cross section width of 255+ mm which will definitely rub the inside of the tire well.

You could try to source 235/85/16. This is the OEM tire for the Landrover Defender and the Landcruiser 70 series. However these are very hard to find. Beboy was able to get the Nankang importer to get him these tires. You can see pictures of his jeep in progress.
As much as I understand the Xenon 4x2 tyres are LandRover spec tyres specialist in Mud and slush. don't remember the spec but I think they might be a good fit

P.s: Might be 205 R16.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 11th June 2009 at 00:48.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 00:58   #25
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,890
Thanked: 2,316 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
As much as I understand the Xenon 4x2 tyres are LandRover spec tyres specialist in Mud and slush. don't remember the spec but I think they might be a good fit

P.s: Might be 205 R16.
No need to speculate. Information is on the Landrover defender website. Base tyre is 7.50x16. Upgrade and higher end versions get 235/85/16.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 01:09   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,985
Thanked: 351 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
No need to speculate. Information is on the Landrover defender website. Base tyre is 7.50x16. Upgrade and higher end versions get 235/85/16.
Sir not speculating about Landie but about teh Xenon tyres. The exact specification is 205 R16. No profile or as such.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 02:32   #27
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,890
Thanked: 2,316 Times
Default

I was referring to your comment that the Xenon tire is the same as the Landrover spec. I was just highlighting that it is not.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 03:25   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dharamsala
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 694 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Do consider removing the foot boards if you plan some serious offroading. they hit ground very easily!
Vinod, please forgive this but the correct name for this is

"running board" not foot board. The name comes from horse and carriage days when a step up into a carriage was needed. Servants used to travel on these. They were actually wood in early automobiles. There is such a thing as a foot board but it is part of a bed, the opposite of head board.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 11th June 2009 at 03:27.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 04:30   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
deepclutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Muvattupuzha
Posts: 1,119
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEA
Even I was surpised at the choice available. Most of these are located in Idukki district, the high ranges in Kerala. Unfortunately, I didnt click pictures of these vehicles or would have posted them here.
I guess it is Thodupuzha?Regularly seeing ads of Jeeps in local news paper from that part.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 13:42   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
vinod_nookala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 410 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Vinod, please forgive this but the correct name for this is

"running board" not foot board. The name comes from horse and carriage days when a step up into a carriage was needed. Servants used to travel on these. They were actually wood in early automobiles. There is such a thing as a foot board but it is part of a bed, the opposite of head board.
Dan,
thanks for correction! Didnt know running boards had so much of history
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2000 Armada Grand 4WD svsantosh 4x4 Vehicles 217 14th January 2015 14:43
Mahindra Armada - 2WD to 4WD conversion possible? powertrain 4x4 Technical 48 15th October 2013 20:10
Armada Grand wildsdi5530 SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 28 17th December 2010 07:40
Rolling Armada Grand Suresh Stephen 4x4 Technical 2 28th July 2010 14:36
Armada Grand 4WD Modifications 4x4addict 4x4 Technical 17 15th April 2009 12:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:20.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks