Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2009, 17:16   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
svsantosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hosur
Posts: 3,308
Thanked: 1,252 Times
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
....I have not really done anything up for the CJ3B expect collecting few more parts that may be required during the restoration.
Well well, why do these pics seem familiar?

Coz we went shopping together. You made my day on saturday. Too bad I never bothered to ask for a TD of the Navigator. Next time please let me drive a short distance, Never driven a petrol Jeep.

PS - Are you going to keep the Navigator's seats or change them?
svsantosh is offline  
Old 24th August 2009, 23:05   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
trammway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,122
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Well well, why do these pics seem familiar?

Coz we went shopping together. You made my day on saturday. Too bad I never bothered to ask for a TD of the Navigator. Next time please let me drive a short distance, Never driven a petrol Jeep.

PS - Are you going to keep the Navigator's seats or change them?
You are the question and you are the answer.

TD for sure, any Jeeper for that matter.

Navigator seat will remain same even though I change all other stuffs, I'm bit comfort freak when it comes for seating.
trammway is offline  
Old 7th September 2009, 22:43   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
trammway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,122
Thanked: 210 Times
Question

The body and complete mechanical restoration project of my CJ3B has been scheduled for 25th of this month.

Today I took the jeep for a small round and found the brakes were jammed, could not even move, immediately saw the water boiling and finally the jeep stalled.

I remember about a month back we did clean the break cylinder etc, but again the break jammed so what is the root cause for this?

That made me come to a schedule fixing term for the project kick off. I have almost collected all the required parts except the soft top frames and canvas.

Now questions to all the petrol jeep experts

1. Which is the best carburetor for Hurricane (Maximum possible Mileage and Power are essential) without overflow issues

2. Will you guys suggest me to convert the break system to disc and servo assisted ?

3. Best possible color as I'm planning to restore this Civilian one with military fitments. Does anyone seen light grey and black combination with military fitments? how is that ?

4. I need decals for data plate and gear/transfer case information, anyone got any hint where/how can i get them ?

5. Finally is there anyone who got an information about availability of brand new body tub and bonnet? if yes, how much ?

6. Converting the petrol jeep to dana 44/9 differentials and KMT-90, any pros and cons ? What about bell housing if I change the gearbox to KMT-90? Will I be able to use the existing bell housing with KMT-90 gearbox too ?

7. I need a military generator or water pump or air compressor to be installed on my Jeep with PTO assisted power, any light on whereabouts ?(I have a PTO and managed to get Sprocket also), I need the applications now.


Sorry for too many questions, I really appreciate your time in answering my questions.
trammway is offline  
Old 9th September 2009, 13:09   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
trammway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,122
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Any inputs for the above questions ?
trammway is offline  
Old 9th September 2009, 14:17   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
vinod_nookala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 410 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
The body and complete mechanical restoration project of my CJ3B has been scheduled for 25th of this month.

Today I took the jeep for a small round and found the brakes were jammed, could not even move, immediately saw the water boiling and finally the jeep stalled.

I remember about a month back we did clean the break cylinder etc, but again the break jammed so what is the root cause for this?

That made me come to a schedule fixing term for the project kick off. I have almost collected all the required parts except the soft top frames and canvas.

Now questions to all the petrol jeep experts

1. Which is the best carburetor for Hurricane (Maximum possible Mileage and Power are essential) without overflow issues

2. Will you guys suggest me to convert the break system to disc and servo assisted ?

3. Best possible color as I'm planning to restore this Civilian one with military fitments. Does anyone seen light grey and black combination with military fitments? how is that ?

4. I need decals for data plate and gear/transfer case information, anyone got any hint where/how can i get them ?

5. Finally is there anyone who got an information about availability of brand new body tub and bonnet? if yes, how much ?

6. Converting the petrol jeep to dana 44/9 differentials and KMT-90, any pros and cons ? What about bell housing if I change the gearbox to KMT-90? Will I be able to use the existing bell housing with KMT-90 gearbox too ?

7. I need a military generator or water pump or air compressor to be installed on my Jeep with PTO assisted power, any light on whereabouts ?(I have a PTO and managed to get Sprocket also), I need the applications now.


Sorry for too many questions, I really appreciate your time in answering my questions.

Hi siva
Infact i dont qualify to post on petrol jeeps at all as i have limited knowledge on it-

1. Carburator no idea man. Talk to suresh stephen, UBS sir, jammy on this. They will help you. Arka has some imported carb (i think webber) on his 3B.

2. Converting to disc brakes is entirely your choice. But i feel suspended pedals severely limit the leg room. But safety comes first. i would say go for it, else best option is go for later model MM540 brake drums as they were bigger and also change it to MM540 type master cylinder.

3. refer to V16's thread. some suggestions have come up there. will help you on colour

4. No idea man...one option steal it !

5. For body tub check out with Ramesh tinker. May be he will help you

6. KMT 90 will give you better tractability in 1st gear, thats it! It is not going to improve top speed. I suggest stick to 3 speed gear box

7. No idea

Over to the real experts on petrol jeeps!

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 9th September 2009 at 14:23.
vinod_nookala is offline  
Old 26th September 2009, 13:58   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
trammway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,122
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

The Jeep has been pushed out for a final drive with the current condition last week, but I really could not do as I expected because the brakes were jammed. So, as a first work the jeep brake overhauling has been completed successfully along with change of bearings in the front and rear.
Mahindra (Kaiser) CJ3B RHD 1969 Petrol power-image0091.jpg
Mahindra (Kaiser) CJ3B RHD 1969 Petrol power-image0101.jpg
Mahindra (Kaiser) CJ3B RHD 1969 Petrol power-image0111.jpg
Mahindra (Kaiser) CJ3B RHD 1969 Petrol power-image0131.jpg

As scheduled earlier the jeep restoration has been kick started yesterday and now all the dress material on the jeep has been removed.
Mahindra (Kaiser) CJ3B RHD 1969 Petrol power-image009.jpg
Mahindra (Kaiser) CJ3B RHD 1969 Petrol power-image010.jpg
Mahindra (Kaiser) CJ3B RHD 1969 Petrol power-image011.jpg
Mahindra (Kaiser) CJ3B RHD 1969 Petrol power-image013.jpg
Mahindra (Kaiser) CJ3B RHD 1969 Petrol power-image012.jpg

Rust, Rust and Rust everywhere. I couldn't get any good information about the availability of the body tub so decided to do the tinkering now and right now the job is going on in a fast track.
Mahindra (Kaiser) CJ3B RHD 1969 Petrol power-image017.jpg
Mahindra (Kaiser) CJ3B RHD 1969 Petrol power-image018.jpg
Mahindra (Kaiser) CJ3B RHD 1969 Petrol power-image019.jpg
Mahindra (Kaiser) CJ3B RHD 1969 Petrol power-image016.jpg

Anyone know what is this door under exhaust manifold which leaks oil in my Hurricane Engine ? what is the purpose of this door?
Mahindra (Kaiser) CJ3B RHD 1969 Petrol power-image022.jpg

The rest of the story will continue in due course.

Last edited by trammway : 26th September 2009 at 14:07.
trammway is offline  
Old 26th September 2009, 20:40   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
svsantosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hosur
Posts: 3,308
Thanked: 1,252 Times
Default

Exhaust valve spring cover

pic source - CJ3B Page
Attached Images
 

Last edited by svsantosh : 26th September 2009 at 20:57.
svsantosh is offline  
Old 26th September 2009, 20:56   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
svsantosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hosur
Posts: 3,308
Thanked: 1,252 Times
Default The door is needed in a re-build

See the real use of the door (or the space inside it)

--------------

The installation of the valve spring, keeper and locks. The spring is being compressed so the valve locks can be installed. Engine assembly lube is sticky enough to hold the valve locks in place until the spring compressor can be released.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 2061
Size:  17.1 KB


This is a wider view of the C-clamp valve spring compressor, which will work with valve-in-block or with overhead valve springs, but the cylinder head must be removed first. There are two other types that will work with the cylinder head in place on the engine. One only works on valve in block springs and the other only works on overhead valve springs.


Name:  2.jpg
Views: 2028
Size:  17.7 KB

The exhaust valves are all installed.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 2024
Size:  18.5 KB

Last edited by svsantosh : 26th September 2009 at 20:58.
svsantosh is offline  
Old 29th September 2009, 20:17   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,548
Thanked: 424 Times
Default

Hey Siva, Firstly Congrats on your acquisition.


Quote:
1. Which is the best carburetor for Hurricane (Maximum possible Mileage and Power are essential) without overflow issues
Try the Mikuni ones from the maruti stable - they are the most user friendly!
Quote:
2. Will you guys suggest me to convert the break system to disc and servo assisted ?
Not required for this vehicle - just convert to double wheel cylinder from the single one and braking should be more than sufficient!
headers is offline  
Old 14th October 2009, 15:30   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
Ramsagar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore-Nellore
Posts: 1,318
Thanked: 38 Times
Default

Trammway:why can't you choose mud color,green had become quiet common. Looks good with all the decals written on the jeep.
Ramsagar is offline  
Old 11th December 2009, 23:37   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
trammway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,122
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

while we working on the body tub (removed from the chassis) to repair the rusted areas, a Major issue shook me. The jeep's chassis requires almost replacement as I have seen many of the areas in the chassis got patched and shackle mount place is completely eaten by rust.

Just having discussion with West and North to find any available SWB RHD CJ3B chassis, I'm sure in couple of days I need to bring the project back to my schedule. If any one knowing any information about a chassis do let me know for a quick fix.
trammway is offline  
Old 13th December 2009, 09:12   #42
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,438
Thanked: 1,928 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
.......
1. Which is the best carburetor for Hurricane (Maximum possible Mileage and Power are essential) without overflow issues
..........
Original was a Carter. Later indigenised to Solex (M34PBIC IIRC).

I'm fairly certain the Carter produced more power, but MM never changed the power output specs.

Any carb, of the right size, can be made to work, provided you can/ know how to set it up. Not worth the R&D. Stick to the Solex. You will get jets and repair kits for it. Not for the Carter.

Power and mileage normally don't go hand in hand!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is online now  
Old 13th December 2009, 11:27   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,964
Thanked: 261 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutripta
Power and mileage normally don't go hand in hand!
+1.
Especially with carbs.
nitrous is offline  
Old 14th December 2009, 08:19   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,548
Thanked: 424 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
+1.
Especially with carbs.
Why only carbs, even in MPFi engines or any IC engine, power and FE do not go hand in hand!
headers is offline  
Old 16th December 2009, 21:50   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
trammway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,122
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Original was a Carter. Later indigenised to Solex (M34PBIC IIRC).

I'm fairly certain the Carter produced more power, but MM never changed the power output specs.

Any carb, of the right size, can be made to work, provided you can/ know how to set it up. Not worth the R&D. Stick to the Solex. You will get jets and repair kits for it. Not for the Carter.

Power and mileage normally don't go hand in hand!

Regards
Sutripta
This is what exactly I asked for. So as you suggested I need to stick with Solex for considering the parts etc.

I was only asking about Solex or Carter, Sorry I have not mentioned it in my query.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
+1.
Especially with carbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Why only carbs, even in MPFi engines or any IC engine, power and FE do not go hand in hand!
Well said, see my reply above I was trying to get some comparison picture about cater or solex.

No to engine transplant, I'm trying to restore it to the stock and mostly Army CJ3B(RHD) specs.

Guys I'm still waiting for any lead on the chassis requirement. Let me know if any one come across CJ3B RHD chassis, preferably a Army one(the difference is is reinforcement seen on the shackle mount areas)

Last edited by trammway : 16th December 2009 at 21:52.
trammway is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Jeep Bride - Mahindra Willys Petrol CJ4A ( CJ3B sibling ) - Ground up restoration abheekg 4x4 Vehicles 68 9th September 2016 11:49
Queries about my two Mahindra 550s and a '71 Kaiser Willys melsingh 4x4 Technical 4 29th November 2010 23:20
1969 CJ3B but not quite the same anymore gsferrari 4x4 Vehicles 9 5th June 2010 17:22
Project "Gravel Pit", a Universal(kaiser) Cj3B Built Brutus 4x4 Vehicles 14 7th January 2010 12:54
whats better than an original cj3b?? two original cj3b's. 0333 4x4 Vehicles 33 5th March 2009 11:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:27.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks