Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 6th September 2010, 10:34   #181
Senior - BHPian

Default Running-In

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
We were surprised to find more than a liter of Water inside rear diff!! Root caused the problem to the left rear FFRA axle. The oil seal had conked off, this water and hub grease became a gel toothpaste and started to ooze out and mess the Tyre/rim!! This had caused the water to spiral/whirlpool into the diff when doing water fording.
Quote:
The Longer Shackle has given a ~2 inch chassis lift. Ride is now SUPER HARD and bouncy and bone jarring. Shockers are extended out by the ~2 inches and will Affect Articulation - means search for longer ones!! 215/75/R15 look tiny, need to plan for 31-32"ers...]
Hi Santosh,

1) Where is the rear Diff-Breather?
Time to Re-route and get custom Breathers(Front/Rear/G-Box & T-Case)

2) Shackle Binding. Have you checked is the Shackle is Pivoting freely in the Chassis.

Take it for a articulation drive and then check if the suspension improves. A bit of flexing will free the Shackle and Leaf Spring.

3) Also consider upgrading the TRE as the Steering Drag-Link has gotten steeper

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 14:54   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma9292 View Post
Upload pics of the full jeep so that we can see the lift properly.
Sorry dude, I will post proper pics soon.

Hi Arka,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
1) Where is the rear Diff-Breather?
Time to Re-route and get custom Breathers(Front/Rear/G-Box & T-Case)
I dont have any breather anywhere in my jeep. My bad!! Yes, next thing ASAP to be done, else have a lot to loose.

Quote:
2) Shackle Binding. Have you checked is the Shackle is Pivoting freely in the Chassis. Take it for a articulation drive and then check if the suspension improves. A bit of flexing will free the Shackle and Leaf Spring.
I think the binding is present. I need to loosen it up a bit. Since the original design was for the silent bush dia, I lathed it to accomodate the grease type bolts. Looks like I need to run in a lot more with some articulation tests/drive.

Quote:
3) Also consider upgrading the TRE as the Steering Drag-Link has gotten steeper
Arka, Regd "Tie Rod Ends", How can I upgrade them? Please advise. Are there bolt on kits? Or Can I get a longer bell crank?

----------Cross Referencing from Tejas's---------

Quote:
...we just cover the Snorkel Dome with a Plastic bag, and tape it below the Dome and rev up the engine slightly, if the engine stalls...
Arka, My jeep has the stock oil bath filter (without Snorkel). Is there any 'washer/rubber ring' between the fixed part and the bottom oil sump part? I tried something like what you explained above, the engine still ran, albeit with a differnet hissing noise, like it is sucking air out of some secret passage!! The rubber hose is OK, I feel it is the oil bath filter leaking air from the center joint.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 15:30   #183
Senior - BHPian

Default Upgrade

Quote:
I dont have any breather anywhere in my jeep. My bad!! Yes, next thing ASAP to be done, else have a lot to loose.

I think the binding is present. I need to loosen it up a bit. Since the original design was for the silent bush dia, I lathed it to accomodate the grease type bolts. Looks like I need to run in a lot more with some articulation tests/drive.

Arka, Regd "Tie Rod Ends", How can I upgrade them? Please advise. Are there bolt on kits? Or Can I get a longer bell crank?

Arka, My jeep has the stock oil bath filter (without Snorkel). Is there any 'washer/rubber ring' between the fixed part and the bottom oil sump part? I tried something like what you explained above, the engine still ran, albeit with a differnet hissing noise, like it is sucking air out of some secret passage!! The rubber hose is OK, I feel it is the oil bath filter leaking air from the center joint.
Hi Santosh,

1)You could have gone ahead with the silent block bush for the shackles.

2) TRE you can use the Pickup Type, but don't buy the full kit only Indivdual Items (Ball-Joint TRE) otherwise you will have to make your Steering Drag Link & Track Link all over.

3) Try the Pit Man Arm from Tata Estate/Sumo and Bolero maybe the Work, also the Older M&M Van Pit-Man Arm may work.

4) AFAIK the CJ3B Type Filter did not have a rubber O-Ring, but the Later Oil Bath used in MM540/Armada, had a O-Ring.

Regards,

Arka
Old 12th September 2010, 23:14   #184
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation

Quote:
2) Shackle Binding. Have you checked is the Shackle is Pivoting freely in the Chassis
Shackle is pivoting freely, checked today.

Quote:
Take it for a articulation drive and then check if the suspension improves. A bit of flexing will free the Shackle and Leaf Spring
Did it, hope to repeat it few more times. Do you think I should remove a leaf from the set?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma9292 View Post
Upload pics of the full jeep so that we can see the lift properly.
---------------------------------
1) Please note the BLUE Gabriel shock-absorber fully extended - thus inhibiting more articulation. Please recommend a better one please.
(I kept my shoe intentionally beneath the front tyre to highlight the tyre in air situation.)

2) Also in 1 pic, please note the Negative camber of the front left leaf. Anyone seen a -ve camber in a jeep!! I have not ever. Will it break?
-----------------------------------

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_1869.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_1871.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_1872.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_1873.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_1874.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_1876.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_1877.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_1889.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_1894.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_1896.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_1897.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_1900.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_1901.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_1902.jpg

Name:  DSC_1903.JPG
Views: 1224
Size:  383.6 KB

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_1904.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_1905.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_1908.jpg

Last edited by svsantosh : 12th September 2010 at 23:28.
Old 13th September 2010, 10:03   #185
Senior - BHPian

Default Shock!!!!!

Quote:
---------------------------------
1) Please note the BLUE Gabriel shock-absorber fully extended - thus inhibiting more articulation. Please recommend a better one please.
(I kept my shoe intentionally beneath the front tyre to highlight the tyre in air situation.)

2) Also in 1 pic, please note the Negative camber of the front left leaf. Anyone seen a -ve camber in a jeep!! I have not ever. Will it break?
-----------------------------------
Hi Santosh,

1) Tempo Traveller - Rear Shock. or Bolero Rear

2) Yes -ve Camber is quite common under articulation, but please give the vehicle a water wash and lube the leaf pack with old engine oil, some prefer gear oil. Apply the oil with a brush, drive it for a day and wipe the excess oil.

Regards,

Arka
Old 13th September 2010, 10:40   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bolero Rear
Hi Arka, Is there a difference in length of the Bolero front and rear? What if the rear are longer and are installed on front and rear of a 3B? Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 11:31   #187
Senior - BHPian

Default Eye or Pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Hi Arka, Is there a difference in length of the Bolero front and rear? What if the rear are longer and are installed on front and rear of a 3B? Regards,
Hi Fazal,

I'm not sure about the Difference in Length, but the front Shock Absorber is an Eye to Pin Type for the IFS and the rear is Eye to Eye, similar to the JEEP.

Regards,

Arka
Old 13th September 2010, 11:56   #188
Senior - BHPian

+1 ^^ Fazal Saab, its not just the shock absorber length, the stroke length and the damping coefficients (rates) need to be considered. There are umpteen types of shock absorbers (some still present in Boleros) right from the Armada days. Be careful when you select the shock absorbers.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 12:38   #189
Senior - BHPian

Default Shock Absorber/Telescopic Damper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
+1 ^^ Fazal Saab, its not just the shock absorber length, the stroke length and the damping coefficients (rates) need to be considered. There are umpteen types of shock absorbers (some still present in Boleros) right from the Armada days. Be careful when you select the shock absorbers.

Spike
+100

Hi Spike,

Can you give us comparative chart for the Shock Absorbers in JEEPs (CJ3B vs CJ500D vs MM540 vs MM550XD etc) and older vehicles.

The following information will be very useful to us.

1) Extended Length
2) Compressed Length
3) Bore
4) Damping Co-Efficient.

Regards,

Arka
Old 13th September 2010, 14:20   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1 ^^ Fazal Saab, its not just the shock absorber length, the stroke length and the damping coefficients (rates) need to be considered. There are umpteen types of shock absorbers (some still present in Boleros) right from the Armada days. Be careful when you select the shock absorbers. Spike
Hi Spike, Yes, like Arka I too agree that this info will help us, for eg. what would be the better shock for a CJ-3B (if we want to deviate from the stock) from the present Mahindra range or any other if we would like to upgrade...one with extra stroke length for increased articulation or a better one for on/off road performance. Thanks,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 15:10   #191
Senior - BHPian

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Hi Spike, Yes, like Arka I too agree that this info will help us, for eg. what would be the better shock for a CJ-3B (if we want to deviate from the stock) from the present Mahindra range or any other if we would like to upgrade...one with extra stroke length for increased articulation or a better one for on/off road performance. Thanks,
Fazal saab, I had done a small study for analyzing the rolling problem in Suresh Stephens NGCS Armada which taught me a few things. Can compose and share the info (specially on Dampers) if really needed.

Quote:
Can you give us comparative chart for the Shock Absorbers in JEEPs (CJ3B vs CJ500D vs MM540 vs MM550XD etc) and older vehicles.

The following information will be very useful to us.

1) Extended Length
2) Compressed Length
3) Bore
4) Damping Co-Efficient.
Hi Arka,

Instead of the extended length and the compressed length I will mention only the Stroke length and mounting dimensions, will that be enough. Which bore dia do you want? Also do you need the info for all these models? Finding out data for all these models will be a pain, but I will do if required.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 15:46   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fazal saab, I had done a small study for analyzing the rolling problem in Suresh Stephens NGCS Armada which taught me a few things. Can compose and share the info (specially on Dampers) if really needed.

Hi Arka,

Instead of the extended length and the compressed length I will mention only the Stroke length and mounting dimensions, will that be enough. Which bore dia do you want? Also do you need the info for all these models? Finding out data for all these models will be a pain, but I will do if required.

Spike
Hi Spike,

Since you are the only one who has access to such information do post them up on a SUSPENSION & SHOCK ABSORBER thread.

Also do post up about your research on the Rolling Armada.

And since its of much older vehicles, I hope it does not put you in a spot.

Why I am asking for a range of vehicles is interchangeability to improve suspension characteristics.

I'm running Tempo Traveller Rear Shocks all-around (4nos), and that has improved the handling very much, but I think its is a Little bit bumpier with LP1109 & 7.50X16 and quite pleasant with 7.00X16 NDMS on Regular JEEP rims.

Bore of the base valve and piston.

Regards,

Arka
Old 13th September 2010, 18:56   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Santosh,
1) Tempo Traveller - Rear Shock. or Bolero Rear
Hi Arka,

Thanks for the suggession. Does Gabriel make the TT's rear shocks? Any Idea on the approx cost for a new one? I was thinking only imported ones like bilstein, etc will solve my issue? They cost approx 60$ a piece. Landing cost will exceed 300$ for 4 (approx 15K INR). I am sure the TT idea will be far lesser, at say 2K per piece???

I will do the leaf-mopping with oil ASAP. Please let us know what are the disadvantages of a rusting leaf-set?

Santosh
Old 13th September 2010, 23:53   #194
Senior - BHPian

Got some much needed equipment.

Air Compressor powered by a 12V socket. (Chinese made) - Rs.1150 (Got at car automobiles, later realized I got ripped off a good 300 at least!!. Few others had this @ 800~

1990 M&M Cj340-13092010035.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-13092010038.jpg

2 Ton hydraulic jack. Works quite smoothly, liked it a lot. Rs.1350 @ Deluxe tools and equipments (Off JC Road).

1990 M&M Cj340-jack1.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-jack3.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-jack2.jpg
Old 14th September 2010, 00:15   #195
Senior - BHPian

Great stuff dude...full on shoppin eh mate?

Shackles are awesome but seem to be a bit of a overkill dude, your leaf springs dont seem to have any room to flex anymore Cornering stability might also be highly compromised dude, be very careful.

Compressor and jack...must have stuff, good ones you got actually!
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote