Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 14th September 2010, 06:34   #196
BHPian

Wow Santosh.. Thats some shopping spree. Buddy hows the ride quality post the mods?
madhkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 09:05   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Shackles are awesome but seem to be a bit of a overkill

your leaf springs dont seem to have any room to flex anymore

Cornering stability might also be highly compromised dude, be very careful.

Compressor and jack...must have stuff, good ones you got actually!
1) Hoping to under kill by using 31" tyres

2) they do flex more, I think Arka meant that. But it needs the $12 blue pill A.K.A longer shocks to flex them more. Since the shock travel ran out of length, it just took off the ground on a simple looking 2 foot rock!!

3) HeHe, as such there is no stability on proper roads..!! why bother about the other stuff, I never drive above 50. But yes, a concern indeed.

4) Thx, sorry, will send the other 'pic' before installation ASAP. Just forgetting a lot..!!
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 09:07   #198
BHPian

Wow , cool.
How big is this jack? I am thinking of buying one as I do not have any jack. Is this better or the normal hydraulic jack.

PS: i need a jack for puncture repair
livyodream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 11:21   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
1) Hoping to under kill by using 31" tyres
Yup, you must upgrade the shoes...

Quote:
2) they do flex more, I think Arka meant that. But it needs the $12 blue pill A.K.A longer shocks to flex them more. Since the shock travel ran out of length, it just took off the ground on a simple looking 2 foot rock!!
LOL, blue pill??!!! HAHAaaa

You were planning ranchos, what happened?

Quote:
3) HeHe, as such there is no stability on proper roads..!! why bother about the other stuff, I never drive above 50. But yes, a concern indeed.
No dude, the concern will be negligible if you arent looking at travelling longer distances but if you plan even a 300kms trip it could get highly exciting

Quote:
4) Thx, sorry, will send the other 'pic' before installation ASAP. Just forgetting a lot..!!
Got it, I replied too

Last edited by The Wolf : 14th September 2010 at 11:23.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 19:56   #200
Senior - BHPian

^^ why rancho's when wangdu's will work the TT's I mean.
Old 14th September 2010, 20:01   #201
BHPian

Santosh, I got the same jack for 900 Rs . Me and Gypsy boy had been to J.C road today .

Last edited by GTO : 18th September 2010 at 13:17. Reason: STRICTLY no SMS language on this forum please. Corrected
Old 14th September 2010, 20:02   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
hows the ride quality post the mods?
Bumpy to say the least. But it is known, let time tell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
How big is this jack?

I am thinking of buying one as I do not have any jack.

Is this better or the normal hydraulic jack.
hmm, big as in length of the box? is approx 2 feet long, 0.5 feet high, 0.5 feet breath (approx). Just go to JC road Deluxe and ask him to show one. PS - It IS HEAVY!!! Around 8Kilos!!

Never drive any 4 wheeler without a spare and a jack/spanner!!

What is a normal one? Do you mean the maruti/hyundai provided scissor jack? That is manual and not hydraulic, this is far TOOO easy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
You were planning ranchos, what happened?
Why rancho's when wangdu's will work the TT's/Bolero's... I mean.

--------------------------------------Edit-----------------------------

Quote:
Santosh, I got the same jack for 900 Rs . Me and Gypsy boy had been to J.C road today .
Good deal man, is it red in color? Or the same Big Bull black colored one? Which shop. Put it up in 'where to buy' thread.

Last edited by GTO : 18th September 2010 at 13:17. Reason: Correcting quoted post
Old 14th September 2010, 20:12   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Good deal man, is it red in color? Or the same Big Bull black colored one? Which shop. Put it up in 'where to buy' thread.
Dont remember the shops name. Its on the 1st right on the Journalist colony.
And no its not Big bull thing. Its red in color without any name.But same casing etc.
Ill try to take picture of it.
Red of black, anyways none of them have any ISI mark on it nor reputation of the brand .
Old 14th September 2010, 20:19   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And no its not Big bull thing. Its red in color without any name.But same casing etc
Not to break your heart, next time you visit that area, try to lift the black one Vs the red one. The black one is VERY heavy and the gauge of steel in the lift arm is at least 2MM thicker in this big bull. But no issues, it will do its job perfectly and one will hardly use these things.

Just dont give it to a jeeper/scorpio/safari guy, why risk it? Gypsy is hardly a tonne.

------------Edit
Hey aakash, lets catch up in this weekend trip, than you can compare them both.

Last edited by svsantosh : 14th September 2010 at 20:21.
Old 16th September 2010, 13:39   #205
Senior - BHPian

Continuing the shopping:

Pair of gum boots from Shivaji Nagar - 450Rs
1 blue colored plastic/tarpaulin sheet (wrap around the leaky soft top) - 200Rs

Spares
1 fan belt - 150Rs
1 clutch cable - 50Rs
1 accelarator cable - 100Rs

Getting the wiper arm/blade/motor fixed currently - 300Rs
Old 17th September 2010, 16:01   #206
Senior - BHPian

Arka, gurus,

My recent mod of converting to FFRA in the rear is giving me a constant trouble. The rear left flange is leaking grease and the wheel looks nasty, I really dont care about the looks, but would like to solve the issue. Also of the 6 bolts that hold the cup' flange cover, 2 or 3 of them constantly loose, and any amount of torqing them back becomes undone after a 20Km drive. Do I need lathe bigger holes into the hub and get bigger bolts in place? Please advise.
Old 19th September 2010, 22:31   #207
Senior - BHPian

Default Single wheel drive - locker and FFRA kick @$$ advantage

^^ In addition to the above post...

After the 18/19 OTR, while I was returning home, i noticed a clang-clang sound from the same axle. Got down and noticed 5 bolts missing and the axle cover cup was hanging from the 6th bolt - which was also half loose. Since i was less then 50 meters from home just limped back home, and after a hour and DIY - I got new 6 bolts and tightened the axle myself. After a good water wash, headed out to hosur home to park the jeep and halfway around 8PM the same noise.!!! same situation!!

Then I remembered reading somewhere about locker and FFRA advantage. I just pulled out the left rear axle, kept inside the jeep and slowly drove at 40Kmph for the next 30Kms... Not possible in a open diff, right? It was a new experience and a good one. But, around 15 mins into the drive I suddenly realized the diff is TOTALLY exposed from outside and the 2liter diff oil could have nearly dried up..!! But thankfully no - not a drop oozed out and have currently parked my jeep home, will need to wait a week until I can touch her again.

The reason for all this trouble - all the 6 holes in the hub are either 1/2 worn out smooth or nearly 3/4th worn out. So when you tighten, the spanner stops at a point, but the constant cork screw affect of the axle on the hub just shreds the remaining thread 1-by-1 and eventually I am left with 1 or none nuts..!!

I am caught between a lathe-rebore job or a new drum!!
Old 20th September 2010, 08:21   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Santosh - please post photographs, I will giude you in totality. Except for current Bolero design, nothing will work, irrespective of anybody saying anything so don't waste your money on nonsense. This is a very old issue, I know everything about it, which I will tell you after I get to see the photographs. You have written "axle cover cup". We called this as "Nagaraj cup" (the designer's name was Mr.Nagaraj), it was designed somewhere in 1981/82. There was a huge fight which lasted for years. HaHaHa.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 20th September 2010 at 08:24.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2010, 09:00   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
This is a very old issue, I know everything about it, which I will tell you after I get to see the photographs.
Thanks a lot sir, plz give me about 10 days, I am traveling north to the 'THE Cauldron' on 24th sep 2010. Once I am back (if I make it ), I will post all the pics and seek help from you and all...
Old 20th September 2010, 10:02   #210
Senior - BHPian

Default Ffra

Quote:
Arka, gurus,

My recent mod of converting to FFRA in the rear is giving me a constant trouble. The rear left flange is leaking grease and the wheel looks nasty, I really dont care about the looks, but would like to solve the issue. Also of the 6 bolts that hold the cup' flange cover, 2 or 3 of them constantly loose, and any amount of torqing them back becomes undone after a 20Km drive. Do I need lathe bigger holes into the hub and get bigger bolts in place? Please advise.

Hi Santosh,

The cause for the Leak are :-

1) Poor Design.

2) Excessive Grease in the bearings

3) If there are no Breathers, then the Axle Oil, will leak Diff-Oil into the hubs, because of the pressure created inside the diff assy.

4) The Left Axle i.e Long Axle can be replaced with the Flanged FC Van Axle Straight Fit we have done that on 2 CJ3B's in Chennai(I'll give the exact details in a few days.)

5) Check if the Splines on the Hub Flange are worn out. While fitting the Flange cover the bolt threads with Teflon Tape and tighten the bolts in a star -pattern.

The Hub bolts can be shaken loose if the Spindle is not installed correctly i.e the spindle has a step which is press fitted into the axle tube if that is not fitting properly or if the spindle/carrier plate bolts are loose/worn out the hub will shake itself loose.

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by ex670c : 20th September 2010 at 10:04. Reason: typo
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote