Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 8th November 2010, 16:22   #226
Senior - BHPian

Here are the Snorkel Pics. Bonnet had to sacrifice one hood clip due this position. Wanted to go Tejas's way but pipe bending guy was not experienced enough. So didnt risk it.

1990 M&M Cj340-snorkel1.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-snorkel2.jpg

Last edited by svsantosh : 8th November 2010 at 16:23.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 13:27   #227
Senior - BHPian

GB refit has sprung some leaks. Drove all the way back to Raju for fixing it. Must be minor. Also last week he had forgotten to refit the entire speedo cable assy, hope he finds it in his garage..!!

I also thought of getting a Exhaust Snorkel done.

On the way to Rajus, I took the more scenic back roads into bangy, calm and quiet early in the morning. The GB was newly rebuilt and quiet, engine normal as ever, I could hear and feel a unplesant noise, vibration from below the jeep. Definetly beyond the GB, but before the diff --> PROP SHAFT..!!

Got a bad news that the yoke-pinion is bust and needs immediate attention. So are the star/univ joint/s. Bad got worse when I learnt the front P-Yoke is also gone bust and so are the stars...!! I was seeing stars, actually counting, approx 3 & half thousand of them.

Sigh! No jeep for few more days.
Old 16th November 2010, 18:11   #228
Senior - BHPian

1st OTR after GB rebuild and new clutch.

New clutch does make a lot of difference, if one could feel it I think the old one was pretty much End of life...

I did not have time to leave the jeep at Raju's for the yoke/pinion/star-univ joint work so took it back on saturday evening just in time for a lazy sunday morning OTR.

Post OTR I left the jeep at my hosur mechanic and was pleasently surprised to learn that the rear did not need a pinion/yoke work. He assured me that few 'shims' in the rear star/univ joint will stop the noise from the prop shaft.

How true can he be? Well i will learn that tommorow evening... Meanwhile, experts please throw some light into above procedure.

The front wasnt that lucky, needs 2 new star joints. PS - Do 'star' and 'universal joint' mean the same.

This morning I woke up to some very bad news. Eager to see the prop work, I ran into the garage and began inspecting the work... I noticed the bonnet locks were open, mechanic was also amused because jeep didnt have any under-hood work.

Open the hood to see the battery missing...!!

Well, only consolation was, the battery was a Amaron Highway 80aH, that was nearly 2.5 years old. It never let me down till date, but was/maybe nearing its end in another year or so..!!

Mechanic promised to get me a 80aH Exide (Used) battery of similar vintage and asked to live with it..!! Well, could have happened even in my home parking...!! Lesson learnt, time to get some juggad hood locks ASAP..!!
Old 16th November 2010, 18:30   #229
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Open the hood to see the battery missing...!!
Now you know why I have hood lock on my Jeep.

No need for Juggad, the following setup is pretty easy to do.

1990 M&M Cj340-p7074547.jpg
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 21:29   #230
Senior - BHPian

^^ Thanks Sharath. Managed to get something done like your idea, but with a door type (navtal) lock system.

Quote:
Post OTR I left the jeep at my hosur mechanic and was pleasently surprised to learn that the rear did not need a pinion/yoke work. He assured me that few 'shims' in the rear star/univ joint will stop the noise from the prop shaft.

How true can he be?.....
Well, I am only happy (very actually) that my hosur mech spared my 3-4K...!!! It worked. 1 out of 4 joints was replaced. 3 were serviced/tightened.

1 star joint - ~375Rs
Mech Labor for working on 4 joints - 250

Oh, and I Invested in lighting system overhaul. Got new Maruti800 sealed beams, new 100/130W bulbs, wiring relay (cutout - slang), and 'JCB' worklights which sharath spoke of of in his CJ thread. Thanks a ton Samu - amazing to have on a jeep...!!

Got all from Jann's (JC Road), same place where samu got his lights from. PS - Janns is a Warehouse for ALL ELECTRICAL requirements for ANY automobile made in india (2/3/4/6 wheeler..!!)

M800 sealed beam (2) - 408Rs
JCB Lights 2 - 748rs (Price has gone UP.!!)
Ceramic bulb holder 2 - 130rs (Need ceramic for HEAT due from 100/130 bulbs)
Philips 100/130 halogen bulb 2 - 390rs
Roots Wiring Relay - 225rs
Philips 100W halogen bulb for JCB lights 2 - 210Rs

Total - 2111Rs

-----Samu, did your JCB Neo714's come with 55W bulbs? Mine did and I got two 100W bulbs for these, makes a world of difference and I dont need the headlights at all...!!-----

Last edited by svsantosh : 20th November 2010 at 21:32.
Old 20th November 2010, 22:11   #231
Senior - BHPian

Default Hands on learning with U-Clamps...!!

There are 8 U Clamps in a Jeep... 7 are identical, 1 is not. See 29 in below pic.

1990 M&M Cj340-p6120963.jpg

This is just not available in any of my town's shops. Been around to do some OTR shopping and realized that this XXL U-Clamp is a 4WD jeep specific. So much for being in a 2WD area..!!

What is the work around in case this breaks?

I hope to pick up a few in bangy on monday.
Old 21st November 2010, 20:32   #232
Senior - BHPian

^^ I doubt if it is true, if that was the case there would have been 2 different ones instead of only 1 (additional one at the LHS). The way it is mounted (as in pics) suggest something is wrong here. After market stuff??

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 21st November 2010 at 20:36.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 21:44   #233
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
^^ I doubt if it is true, if that was the case there would have been 2 different ones instead of only 1 (additional one at the LHS). The way it is mounted (as in pics) suggest something is wrong here. After market stuff??

Spike
Have a look here ( post # 34 ,2nd pic from top ) it is original

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...lutions-3.html (Offroad-Onroad failures & DIY solutions)

Very much original (ignore the spacers below the nuts )

Last edited by Sudarshan : 21st November 2010 at 21:47.
Sudarshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 21:45   #234
Senior - BHPian

Spike, very un-expected, coming from you!!
The u-clamp on the right front inner side is wider and longer than the other clamps as it mounts on the diff cage housing!
jyobeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 22:00   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^ I doubt if it is true,
Aiyooo...!! Aetaaa..!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
You know, Post 8PM on a sunday evening good food and dessert can make ones mind very relaxed

---------Got the elusive U-clamp in my town after much hue and cry!! Hate such times of owning a non-normal vehicle in these places.

So true - be a Roman in Rome..!!
Old 21st November 2010, 23:07   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The u-clamp on the right front inner side is wider and longer than the other clamps as it mounts on the diff cage housing!
Spike!!!!
Also the reason for bumpstop problems on that side.

Quote:
---------Got the elusive U-clamp in my town after much hue and cry!!
If locally made, be careful of the metallurgy.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 23:09   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Jyobeb, I was skeptical of the spacers placed below, my mistake. It is clear now

Quote:
Aiyooo...!! Aetaaa..!!
You know, Post 8PM on a sunday evening good food and dessert can make ones mind very relaxed
So true!

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 21st November 2010 at 23:16.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 08:55   #238
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
^^ Thanks Sharath. Managed to get something done like your idea, but with a door type (navtal) lock system.
Even I had requested the door type lock, but the mechanic decided to improvise.

Quote:
Oh, and I Invested in lighting system overhaul. Got new Maruti800 sealed beams, new 100/130W bulbs, wiring relay (cutout - slang), and 'JCB' worklights which sharath spoke of of in his CJ thread. Thanks a ton Samu - amazing to have on a jeep...!!

Got all from Jann's (JC Road), same place where samu got his lights from. PS -
-----Samu, did your JCB Neo714's come with 55W bulbs? Mine did and I got two 100W bulbs for these, makes a world of difference and I dont need the headlights at all...!!-----
Thanks, but aren't you going overboard with the wattage? Check this link: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1801253-post24.html

Quote:
@Jyobeb, I was skeptical of the spacers placed below, my mistake. It is clear now
Saar, that is my Jeep's underbody, that is how it looked when I just bought it.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 09:45   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Thanks, but aren't you going overboard with the wattage?
Oh, I should have clarified.

I am going to use the NEO714s only as a low beam provider. It is low to the road and the 'really wide' beam helps. And its length and breadth is good enough for speeds upto 50Kmph'ish (city/slow cruising).

The non-standard placement of my M800's lights dont help a lot in the low beam. For high beam, i will use the 130W (without the spot lights)- lights up a LOT upfront.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
If locally made, be careful of the metallurgy
It is branded Unipak, even the normal sized ones are the same brand. Is it a heard of one?

------------Edit 2----------

Quote:
Got all from Jann's (JC Road)......
JCB Lights 2 - 748rs (Price has gone UP.!!)
My bad - I was thinking Samu paid 320 for these, it was actually 390!! So @ 374 it is 16Rs lesser now....!!

Last edited by svsantosh : 22nd November 2010 at 10:00.
Old 22nd November 2010, 11:15   #240
BANNED

Talking Tools of urban warfare

Here is something for Santosh & the Jeepers

I drove & maintained my dads 540 ( 89 ) & did few things on that myself . following are photos of battery lock & bonnet lock

I hope thease will be of some use ( if they are, use the Idea Its free no copyrights )
1) battery lock
1990 M&M Cj340-dscn1010.jpg

2) the bonnet lock

1990 M&M Cj340-dscn1013.jpg
1990 M&M Cj340-dscn1019.jpg
1990 M&M Cj340-dscn1023.jpg
1990 M&M Cj340-dscn1025.jpg

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   Reply With Quote