Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 22nd November 2010, 12:35   #241
Senior - BHPian

^^ My new hood lock is the exact same as above.

Battery lock - thanks for the design. But are my eyes seeing the battery is outside the jeep? Somewhere near the front bumper? Is yes, why?
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 14:25   #242
BANNED

Talking Its an unusual love story

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
^^ My new hood lock is the exact same as above.

Battery lock - thanks for the design. But are my eyes seeing the battery is outside the jeep? Somewhere near the front bumper? Is yes, why?
Hmm, its a long story , many many years ago ( somewhere around late 80s ) M&M produced some very few good Jeeps ( ours is among that lot ) .
But you see roads/offroads & US ( owners ) didnt allow them to run smoothly .So there were few breaks here & there . among those few 8/10 parts was the battery bracket . It used to fell ( really ) in love with engine ( of which vibrations encouraged it )
I got tired of this affair ( three times I tried to keep them away ,by good welding ) but the battery didnt listen ,So one fine morning I permanantly separated them.
Now for the last 15 years the Battery is living happily ,so is the engine & Me . You are right the battery is in front section ( outside engine bay )

Sudarshan

P.S. ok you can do this locking arrangement with the current setup also

Last edited by Sudarshan : 22nd November 2010 at 14:26.
Sudarshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 21:57   #243
Senior - BHPian

Default re: 1990 M&M CJ340

New Avtaar. Got the box idea from Sharat and Tejas, so made it 2 boxes. Does hold nearly all needed stuff for offroading..!!

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_0006.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_0007.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_0008.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_0009.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_0010.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_0011.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_0012.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_0013.jpg  

Old 20th December 2010, 08:12   #244
BANNED

Dear Santosh , I would like to know the difference in length of the stock & extended shackle . Also I would like to know the difference in overall handeling it has made .

Your New look is more pro for pure off roadings , looks good also .

can you please show a closeup pic of your seats , those are loooking very practical for an open Jeep . Any other particular advantage of that design ?

Sudarshan

PS Paint that box on left wing in body colour, will look good .
Old 20th December 2010, 10:39   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Dear Santosh , I would like to know the difference in length of the stock & extended shackle . Also I would like to know the difference in overall handeling it has made .

Your New look is more pro for pure off roadings , looks good also .

can you please show a closeup pic of your seats , those are loooking very practical for an open Jeep . Any other particular advantage of that design ?

Sudarshan

PS Paint that box on left wing in body colour, will look good .
Hi Sir,

The new/long is around 4 inches from bolt-bolt. It is at least twice the length of the OE one.

See page 12 and 13 in this thread for more info and comments from me and expert opinions.

Ride is gone for a toss, not entirely, but the driver needs to be more careful. C.O.Grav has become higher, so cornering makes the body roll more pronounced.

I had to remove 1 leaf from rear for a better ride.

I have heard from a owner/user (here) that the leaf-camber goes for a toss under heavy OTR'ng.

Few say the articulation improves, but I have shown in 13 it reduces. Unless one gets a longer shock and -ve flexes the leaf a lot, I cant see how the articulation improves...!! This shackle extends out the normal shock by at least 2 inches thereby taking away a % of the articulation in normal-standing position itself..!

Thanks for your comments on the looks, and the box isnt the only thing that needs a paint job-- the whole jeep does No funds now.

Seats - Legend has it some brainy chap in coorg (KA) got such seats in his jeep, idea spread from person to person and I finally saw these in a bangy jeep. Learnt they are from any Indian Lorry (LOL). These are 8-way adjustable seats and offer good options for supporting your lumbar. I chose these purely for the abuse they can take. You know some call these Mother-In-Law seats!! Not good for neck/upperback support, but blend with the hose-down design of a CJ class jeep.

Front (knee side) part goes up and down, so does rear (bum side) = (4)
+
Incline (acute/obtuse) and seat goes back and forth = (4)
== 8 way adjustable.

Picked these for 2+2 = 4K from a friend, used condition. Heard they still hold that price around bangys gujri markets...
Old 24th December 2010, 20:34   #246
Senior - BHPian

Got some goodies for my CJ.

1st is a DC - AC converter. Rated wattage is 600W. Clip the red/black to a battery and use the 3-pin at the other side to draw AC current to drive any appliance. Useful while camping, outing in dark, etc.

Name:  10122010100.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  112.0 KB

1990 M&M Cj340-10122010102.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-10122010103.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-10122010106.jpg

Also, got a front diff guard from swastikviji. Hope it saves the front diff cover plate some day.

1990 M&M Cj340-red.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-red1.jpg
Old 25th December 2010, 10:27   #247
BHPian

Wow Santosh the DC AC converter is a cool gadget.
Where do you manage to get these goodies from ?
Your Jeep is purely built for off road performance man, Just love the grit power.
catchkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2010, 22:45   #248
Senior - BHPian

^^duh..!! you need to drive a lot of other jeeps/gypsys around town. Dont worry, just join the bangy guys for more Otrs in near future.

The DC--AC was a gift from Suid-Afrika
Old 25th December 2010, 23:17   #249
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Those seats are very uncomfortable. It is like sitting on a rope.

Quote:
Seats - Legend has it some brainy chap in coorg (KA) got such seats in his jeep, idea spread from person to person and I finally saw these in a bangy jeep. Learnt they are from any Indian Lorry (LOL). These are 8-way adjustable seats and offer good options for supporting your lumbar. I chose these purely for the abuse they can take. You know some call these Mother-In-Law seats!!
Now that rang a bell... I think I made that comment just last year.

That brainy chap in Coorg happens to be Jagat Nanjappa. This was shot last year.

Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2010, 07:01   #250
BANNED

Smile re: 1990 M&M CJ340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Those seats are very uncomfortable. It is like sitting on a rope.

Now that rang a bell... I think I made that comment just last year.

That brainy chap in Coorg happens to be Jagat Nanjappa. This was shot last year.
I remember woven plastic mesh seats ( plastic cane , household chairs are done like this ) , on trucks specially from south( leyland & tn plate) , those must be good for sweaty conditions .

I particularly saw this( santosh's) suitable for open cabins ,are they really much uncumfortable ? ( means worth trying or not ? )

@ Santosh you are doing a good job for the Jeep , this is actually the correct method doing things one by one ( saves money also ) Rather then doing at one go . One gets time to think & implement correctly , Nice work & dedication. One of the few jeeps on bhp treated with passion .(Samurais included )

& About Jagat Nanjappa , I still remember his photos riding in rallys with his wife on a moded Yezdi ( a beautifull bike yet tricky to handle ) A man with real Qualities .

Sudarshan
BTW : I found out this is my 300 th post , happy its for some meaningfull purpose

& one more thing @ Santosh think of cutting off that extra length of U clamps, that is above the nuts ( seen in pics ) thease get you stranded on rocks.

Last edited by Sudarshan : 26th December 2010 at 07:08.
Old 26th December 2010, 10:39   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I remember woven plastic mesh seats ( plastic cane , household chairs are done like this ) , on trucks specially from south( leyland & tn plate) , those must be good for sweaty conditions .

I particularly saw this( santosh's) suitable for open cabins ,are they really much uncumfortable ? ( means worth trying or not ? )

Sudharshan,

I did see similar seats used in Dr.Jones's PROWLER jeep, I found him saying it is much comfortable too. The seat has cushion on the edges of both side and the back rest is completely cross taped. When I tryed sitting in the Jeep, it felt good. Here are pictures of the same type of seat in prowler.

Name:  38714_473765371678_621441678_6544639_644232_n.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  98.5 KB

Name:  prowlerseat.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  95.7 KB

Last edited by trammway : 26th December 2010 at 10:42.
trammway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2010, 13:52   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Those seats are very uncomfortable. It is like sitting on a rope
Not 'very', but yes, surely not very comfortable. Neck support sorely missed. Great sense while parking in open, takes a lot of dirt and abuse, can we soaped up and hosed down... let the sun/wind dry it.

Quote:
...on trucks specially from south( leyland & tn plate) , those must be good for sweaty conditions
Yes, may be for the hot Indian conditions. Also, 'harita grammer' has a long term contract for these seats to A.Ley and tata too.

Quote:
I particularly saw this( santosh's) suitable for open cabins ,are they really much uncumfortable ? ( means worth trying or not ?)
Try it just for fun, pick one seat for ~1K and if you dont like it, discard it.

Quote:
You are doing a good job for the Jeep , this is actually the correct method doing things one by one ( saves money also ) Rather then doing at one go. One gets time to think & implement correctly , Nice work & dedication. One of the few jeeps on bhp treated with passion .(Samurais included )
Money main driver for doing one at a time, but yes, gives me time to evaluate each and every mod/unmod. Humbled by the comparison with 'THE' CJ340 of the forum...

Evaluate : Just to elaborate, I can strongly state that the longer shackle REDUCES the articulation to a Great extent while it gives GREAT lift to the GB/Skid Plate. I had my left rear in the air today morning while a stock Cj would have had another 3-4 inches of articulation left..!! But it is a win-win between arti Vs B.O.Angle...

Quote:
Think of cutting off that extra length of U clamps, that is above the nuts ( seen in pics ) these get you stranded on rocks.
Yes, found out once in the avalakonda trail, and today morning I found another @#@$#%#$@! Nemesis to the CJ340's capabilities. Will post a pic of it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
I found him saying it is much comfortable too
These are slightly different and looks better than mine. But still they cant be 'much', a proper car sear is still way better.
Old 26th December 2010, 15:26   #253
BANNED

hi Santosh , regarding axle articulation & new extended shackles -
I see no apearent reason as to why the articulation has reduced/affected . I only have one doubt ,have you checked the full opening/extending/travel of the Hydrolic Dampers ( shock absorbers ) ? May be they are preventing the down travel of axles with new long shackles in place.

You can check it as follows
1) Jack up the Chassis, front or rear end at a time only , let the wheels hang , now measure the length bet axle tube/housing & chassis bump stop.

2) now do this again with the dampers removed

this will give you exact idea as if the dampers are not restricting the 'down travel of axle .

Do this at your mech's place , I think you will need some good help for this .

Sudarshan
Old 26th December 2010, 20:00   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I see no apparent reason as to why the articulation has reduced/affected . I only have one doubt ,have you checked the full opening/extending/travel of the Hydraulic Dampers ( shock absorbers ) ? May be they are preventing the down travel of axles with new long shackles in place.
You statement has the answer in itself the dampers/shocks are extended out 2 inches and need urgent replacement to longer ones. Arka has spoken about Tempo Traveller's OR Bolero's rear shocks are possible replacement, Boleros recommended over TT's. I am yet to find time and money to replace the current with gujri ones...

Quote:
today morning I found another @#@$#%#$@! Nemesis to the CJ340's capabilities
See pics, result of today morning recce of a very nice and new hosur trail.

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_2856-1600x1200.jpg

the hand brake drum was shredded over a rock, we picked up metal pieces after clearing the obstacle..!!

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_2857-1600x1200.jpg

thankfully the skid plate took most of the brunt

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_2861-1600x1200.jpg

the rear diff also took some beating

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_2864-1600x1200.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_2865-1600x1200.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-dsc_2867-1600x1200.jpg

Last edited by svsantosh : 26th December 2010 at 20:02.
Old 26th December 2010, 21:40   #255
Senior - BHPian

Swastik Viji sir, please make this kind of skid plate for front diff..!! plzplzplz

Name:  rancho.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  64.0 KB

And, who can tell if this is made in india and available in our local stores...!!

Name:  linelock.JPG
Views: 657
Size:  28.9 KB

Quote:
This brake lock will hold any vehicle with hydraulic brakes, so it has many applications. It is simple to install, has Line-In & Line-Out and comes with standard 3/16" brake line fittings & installation instructions.

(Width is 2") (Height is 1-1/2") (Depth is 1")

Easy to use: Just step on the brakes, push in the knob on the Brake Lock, and let off the foot brake and it's locked. To release just step on the foot brake and it opens automatically.