Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 18th May 2012, 20:02   #511
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 1990 M&M Cj340

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
started work on ^ - line lock, but with a completely different part, pray it works by evening...
Cross referencing for complete ownership history - JAMAR linelock not used, instead got this.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...line-lock.html (DIY - Simple Hand brake for Jeeps - Ball Valve as a Line Lock)
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 21:07   #512
Senior - BHPian

Contd of the PTO posts - never posted the completed underbody pic of the pulley, belt and the PTO...

1990 M&M Cj340-photo0191.jpg
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 14:51   #513
Senior - BHPian

Couple of updates

Renewed third party insurance for 3200~Rs till aug-13.

After last OTR here (Bidaraguppe OTR 16th Sept) I used the PTO air-comp for a good 10~ minutes without any issues to refill air in the tyres.

Also the ball-valve-handbrake was put to good use in the trail

Winch had a dry run at car park to make sure it works fine - it does!

Engine oil is less than 500Km old but around 12 months old. Mech insists nothing would have gone wrong, but I am still going ahead with a oil change this month when time permits.
Old 6th September 2012, 15:30   #514
Senior - BHPian

I got a surprise call from the previous owner of my CJ340 last week. Turns out he is back from a 3 year on/off UK/US stint and now shuttles between bangy/chennai for a IT major. We plan to meet up along the jeep sometime soon. I remembered he was a week old dad when I got this jeep 3 years ago and he was glad I recollected it

Now, the lil' son needs a jeep and what a full circle my jeeping world has taken. I am helping Mr.A in searching thru ads/pics for a 540 - project class or full-roadworthy class... anyways - that is another point here!

As jeepers, we chatted away on a choppy cellular connection over the time the CJ spent with him, the things he did, etc etc and came up with some interesting points which were not discussed at time of purchase. No, he didnt try to hide it, just that it didnt really matter for him. His work-related-travel took up most of the 18~ months the jeep was with him in Chennai and his cousin/brother(?) took care of the jeep and only sent bills to him

Chennai witnessed a major flood around 2007/08 (I dont recall) and it was this flood where TRAMMWAY's CLASSIC helped him save his home/family - It was a good jeep. My CJ wasnt so lucky and ended up with a 50-60K bill (possible full or top end XDP4.90 job) and miscelaneous work. So may be thats why my CJs engine runs so smooth without any back-compression which is common on many-many end-of-life jeeps.

Also spoke of other experiences, and how he spent 30K for brand 5 new pirelli scorpion tyres and the struggle to transfer RC owner from Ooty to Chennai and update taxes/insurance, et all...

Till the end I was gentleman enough not to ask how much he had paid for the jeep when he got it - it doesnt matter, does it?
Old 22nd November 2012, 20:52   #515
Senior - BHPian

Default Same Duty, different address...

From this threads perspective nothing changes... except the owner!

Gave the Jeep its last customary wash, a thorough one! Literally hosed down the interiors, seats, floor, dash with high pressure wash...

1990 M&M Cj340-img_20121121_084213.jpg

1990 M&M Cj340-img_20121121_084233.jpg

Greased up all the points, filled her up and off to the office for one last drive without the top...

She always was the darling of the team who knew nothing other than maruti's and hyundais, and each had a small 'round' in it!!

1990 M&M Cj340-team.jpg

The new owner of the Jeep is from Salem, a upcoming metro in TamilNadu, about 200Kms from Bangalore... Its famous for Yercaud, a weekend hillstation getaway and its numerous hidden offroad trails.

The owner just got a Thar Crde a few months back and fully kitted it out with our SwastikFabs Viji sir... after all that he decided a Old school Jeep is what he wants for hardcore offroading and picked up mine.

I kept the winch and diff guards and snorkel head for my AG, and gave the rest as it is, all papers intact for the 22 year old vehicle.

--------

The fitting day for handover was coinciding with Run-Arun-Run, a Kargil-Kanyakumari on foot effort by Arun, and UBS's backup and his 550, FC, trusted mechanics, Son-Adhi, friends Hero Sen, etc etc...

1990 M&M Cj340-img_20121122_130707.jpg

The new owner in his black Thar and his driver in the red Cj (yes, by now the deal was over) drove upto the highway and metup with the convoy and greeted them... sadly the runner had passed the town and we were late, some jeep issue in FC (it always is naa) and we tried to help finding a welder, et all...

-----------

At the end of the day....

No bargain, no negotiation, no adverts, no haggling, it was a pure Jeeper to Jeeper transaction, just like friends and It was a pleasure handing over the jeep to its new owner. I said a number, and the response was 'are you sure you dont want more', I was like 'Eh!', and he was like 'yes - I bloddy sure dont want to miss out on this jeep, have seen 3 other crap buckets of SWB's and none impressed me'... (My Dear Sharat, Samu-San - for a reference point, I handed over my Cj for 3Lakhs INR)

At the end of it, I felt this was a proper way to part with her. Any thing close to a online sale, bargaining, low balling would have only under meant my hardwork, effort etc etc in bringing her up, also would have been a insult to the magnificent machine itself...

Nothing comes close to a SWB Diesel Jeep - Period!

-------

1990 M&M Cj340-cj20340.jpg

---------------

The End...

Last edited by svsantosh : 22nd November 2012 at 20:56.
svsantosh is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 23:12   #516
Team-BHP Support

Strange, you sell your Jeep on the day I announced my intention to do the same.

I have realized something in the past few months. Selling an old Jeep is different from selling any other car. You know why?

Usually, once you buy a regular car, you use it until it deteriorates and then sell it off for a depreciated price.

The old Jeeps on the other hand are continuously pampered and upgraded until cows come home, and they go out in a much better shape than they came in. I feel that is the duty of a Jeep owner.

And we both have fulfilled that Duty.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 10:28   #517
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Strange, you sell your Jeep on the day I announced my intention to do the same. I have realized something in the past few months. Selling an old Jeep is different from selling any other car. You know why? Usually, once you buy a regular car, you use it until it deteriorates and then sell it off for a depreciated price. The old Jeeps on the other hand are continuously pampered and upgraded until cows come home, and they go out in a much better shape than they came in. I feel that is the duty of a Jeep owner. And we both have fulfilled that Duty.
Dear Sharath - this post of yours is the best tribute we can ever give to Jeeps in general and the maginficent CJ340 in particular. I bought my vehicle brand new in January 1995, sold it in January 1996 to buy a house in Pune. I had tears in my eyes then, I have tears in my eyes now.

If I had a parking place in Mumbai, I would have bought your CJ immediately. Nothing comes close it, absolutely nothing!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:04   #518
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Same Duty, different address...

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
From this threads perspective nothing changes... except the owner!

Gave the Jeep its last customary wash, a thorough one! Literally hosed down the interiors, seats, floor, dash with high pressure wash.
Dude, I would say, You got a strong heart! I couldn't think of it it even today.

I really haven't visited here for sometimes, looks like lots of things have happen.

Last edited by GTO : 24th November 2012 at 10:51. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users
trammway is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 09:16   #519
BHPian

Santosh, I know there must have been tears in your eyes when writing that post but it is the BEST way to part with a Jeep and one that is almost part of what we are. It is the Jeep in which I learnt offroading and will always hold a special plcae in my heart. Folks, please raise a toast to one of the most honest Jeepers and human being I have ever known.
madhkris is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 09:28   #520
BHPian

Totally agree with you sir....TO the most honest down-to-earth man ever.
rakchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2013, 12:25   #521
Team-BHP Support

This is how the Jeep looks now.

1990 M&M Cj340-p1250105.jpg

And this is the new driver (Owner's friend).

1990 M&M Cj340-p1260247.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 31st January 2013 at 13:39.
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2013, 13:05   #522
Senior - BHPian

1990 M&M Cj340-1.jpg

Actually, Dr.Vijaykumar (striped tee) is the owner, Shiva is his good friend and the only trusted person to drive the Jeep. Dr seldom drives the jeep, he is content with his thar for now

1990 M&M Cj340-2.jpg

Dont miss the lemons under the wheels

Last edited by svsantosh : 31st January 2013 at 13:10.
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 23:30   #523
Senior - BHPian

27-Sep-2013, Friday

I bunked office and dashed to Salem with 2 jeepers in a comfort of a chilling Quanto... to see a Spoa LWB of a tbhpian. Though i cldnt drive that monster i stopped over at the new CJ owners place for the 1st time after the sale, Doctor just handed over the keys and I happily drove her around for a few Kms bringing back good memories - people all over turning heads, at signals, right of way etc etc...

While delivering her back i spoke of some mechanical works and later this week learnt her original factory fit heart may give way for a better and quicker army xd3p.

God speed... CJ!!
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 10:02   #524
BHPian

Nice to see the CJ is in the hands of a person ready to give TLC to the Jeep it so deserves. The Jeep lives on...
madhkris is offline   Reply With Quote