Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2010, 10:44   #106
Senior - BHPian
 
vinod_nookala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 410 Times
Default

Do all jeeps have front inner side grease nipple? I mean even MM540? I remember greasing rear, but front i will check.

See this is how you learn!:-))

Also experts can you comment why transfer case had water and not gear box? I think breather pipes for both are located at the same level. Correct me if iam wrong.

p.s Iam happy you took water fording so seriously and got every thing done proactively.

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 4th January 2010 at 10:46.
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 13:56   #107
Senior - BHPian
 
beejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Nilgiris
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Do all jeeps have front inner side grease nipple? I mean even MM540? I remember greasing rear, but front i will check.
The CJ340 has inner side grease nipple on the front.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 22:16   #108
Senior - BHPian
 
svsantosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hosur
Posts: 3,308
Thanked: 1,252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Do all jeeps have front inner side grease nipple? I mean even MM540? I remember greasing rear, but front i will check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
The CJ340 has inner side grease nipple on the front.
Actually, all Jeeps have 12 shackle nipples. If you see the CJ3B greasing tip picture, the inner 4 shackles are highlighted.

Quote:
p.s Iam happy you took water fording so seriously and got every thing done proactively.
thx, I will take it as a compliment. I badly wanted to find a competent mechanic in my town, I somehow still get a feeling that none in bangy are 100% good. Gurus say in Bangy that with trail and error you will get a sincere and competent one, I cant experiment so much. End result, I am happy I found Babu and his boyz...
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 20:33   #109
Senior - BHPian
 
svsantosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hosur
Posts: 3,308
Thanked: 1,252 Times
Default

Since the past few months I have been facing a situation. There is a "THUD" noise with a "BASS" effect coming from the rear of the Jeep.

It arises when...
1) When I am downshifting from 4-3, 3-2 at slightly higher RPMs.
2) When I am starting the Jeep from StandStill @ signals, etc.
3) The "Dhummm"!! noise is very rare and it comes only in the above situations. I have still not visited my mech to get it sorted.

What do you suggest it may be? It is very clearly somewhere near the rear diff/axle assy.

While running, the Jeep is perfectly fine, only when the Speed changes with momentum it shows up.

PS - This existed BEFORE the water fording and continues till now...
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 12:37   #110
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,490 Times
Default

Check you rear shackles and see whether they have free movement. May be a worn out shackle bush.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 20:18   #111
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,440
Thanked: 1,932 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Since the past few months I have been facing a situation. There is a "THUD" noise with a "BASS" effect coming from the rear of the Jeep.

It arises when...
1) When I am downshifting from 4-3, 3-2 at slightly higher RPMs.
2) When I am starting the Jeep from StandStill @ signals, etc.
3) The "Dhummm"!! noise is very rare and it comes only in the above situations. I have still not visited my mech to get it sorted.
When does the hum come: under power or when coasting in gear. What happens when you cycle power ie power and coast?

Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 19:23   #112
Senior - BHPian
 
svsantosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hosur
Posts: 3,308
Thanked: 1,252 Times
Default

Today morning I had to run a 50Km errand along with wife. I noticed a very NEW VIBRATION noise right under my feet, I checked for all possible loose metal but couldnt figure it out. Even declutching - clutching did not ease it out... I did not get a Silent place in the highway to trouble shoot.

So came back home late afternoon, its in a very silent locality. Parked the jeep on a flat surface, let the engine running and with a few rocks for wheel blocks, went under the jeep on all 4's. Ear picked the noise from the gearbox cross member. To my saw the member's 2 bolts were loose on side, and the other side 2 were so loose that I could tighten them by hand and the vibration went away.

Immediately went to the neighbourhood mechanic and since it was a simple job, risked him. Also asked him to check the U-Clamps and steering box and other imp bolts...

He charged me 100rs for tightening 8-10 bolts. Hosur would have been so much more cheaper!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Check you rear shackles and see whether they have free movement. May be a worn out shackle bush.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
When does the hum come: under power or when coasting in gear. What happens when you cycle power ie power and coast?
Also took him around for a 2Km TD for the above Bang/Thud noise...

He immediately pointed out to the rear diff pinion-backlash. It made sense. The noise was in-out while clutching-accelerating-stopping. He quoted 600Rs for removing the rear axles, diff housing, adjusting the pinion and putting all back together. I am gonna wait until next few weeks (busy), and if my Hosur mech (whom I trust) comes up with a diff story or not - I will get it done there...

Meanwhile - Can I drive around in CITY (traffic) with pinion-backlash - OR stop ASAP.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 20:41   #113
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,440
Thanked: 1,932 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
He immediately pointed out to the rear diff pinion-backlash. It made sense. The noise was in-out while clutching-accelerating-stopping. He quoted 600Rs for removing the rear axles, diff housing, adjusting the pinion and putting all back together. I am gonna wait until next few weeks (busy), and if my Hosur mech (whom I trust) comes up with a diff story or not - I will get it done there...

Meanwhile - Can I drive around in CITY (traffic) with pinion-backlash - OR stop ASAP.
Hi,
I know others will come down on me like a ton of bricks, we we used to just ignore the backlash.

"Removing" backlash (tail crown freeplay) is one thing. Maintaining proper contact patches is something else again, and in my experience, most mechs don't know anything about it.

If you plan to do it, take a day off work, and arm yourself with some engineers blue!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 23:20   #114
Senior - BHPian
 
svsantosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hosur
Posts: 3,308
Thanked: 1,252 Times
Default

Just bumping my old thread. Got rid of the fully corroded roll cage, or what ever it was. It was so flimsy, that I could break the welding joints by hand. Time for a new and much stronger roll cage, am thinking on the lines of a exterior roll cage which will look different and may be much rigid also. Lets see, till then its the open 'Lorry' look.

Name:  DSC08230.JPG
Views: 1025
Size:  79.3 KB

Name:  DSC08231.JPG
Views: 999
Size:  92.6 KB

Name:  DSC08232.JPG
Views: 1006
Size:  83.2 KB

Name:  DSC08234.JPG
Views: 988
Size:  105.8 KB
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 09:41   #115
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Time for a new and much stronger roll cage, am thinking on the lines of a exterior roll cage which will look different and may be much rigid also.

Maybe something on these lines???

I have been thinking of something similar for my CJ3B.

Name:  CJ3B Rollcage 20735_247065326804_520546804_3693327_926150_n.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  45.6 KB

Name:  CJ3B Rollcage 20735_247065351804_520546804_3693330_6721065_n.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  31.2 KB

Name:  CJ3B Rollcage 20735_247054651804_520546804_3693158_5308972_n.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  34.2 KB

Name:  CJ3B Rollcage 20735_247065301804_520546804_3693324_1972728_n.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  71.4 KB
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 21:05   #116
Senior - BHPian
 
svsantosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hosur
Posts: 3,308
Thanked: 1,252 Times
Default

some updates on a few things done...

1) FIP and 4 injectors serviced at Bosch authorized service center : 2000Rs bill

This was done at mechanic's suspicion of water inside FIP. Was true, also, to address excess black smoke and low FE. I will give a detailed report post a few hundred KMS, initial observation is very low smoke achieved.

2) Engine oil, oil filter, diesel filter, air filter cleanup, valve adjustment and tuning, new rubber tube for nozzles - all done. Total material bill was 1200Rs. Labour for above tasks, including FIP/Nozzle removal-refitting-tuning - was 500Rs. I tipped the mech boy who single handed my jeep 150Rs.

Breakup:
Purolator Oil filter - 130
Puro Diesel Filter (2) - 140
Diesel Pipe Kit - 40
Cotton Waste - 10
Servo Engine oil 15W40 5Litre can - 820
1 Bulb - 35
Super Glue - 5
Araldite - 20

Out of bill expenses are -
1Ltr Kerosene - 50Rs
1 FIP Packing paper - 10Rs
250Ml loose oil for air filter - 30Rs

I got 2 used AutoPal 3" clearlens focus lights for 100Rs a Pair. Gladly bought them from the garage's electrician.

-------------------------Ps-----------------
While I was at the garage the whole day, noticed the shops' electrician attend to 2 or 3 sumo's/jeeps for starter motor problems. I saw how quick he dismantles a starter motor, changes the bendix and puts it back together - all under 30Mins.

He charges 200Rs labor for a starter motor overhaul and 150Rs labor for a alternator overhaul. I found it very affordable.
-------------------------------------------

Last edited by svsantosh : 30th April 2010 at 21:17.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 21:58   #117
Senior - BHPian
 
trammway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,122
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
some updates on a few things done...

1) FIP and 4 injectors serviced at Bosch authorized service center : 2000Rs bill

This was done at mechanic's suspicion of water inside FIP. Was true, also, to address excess black smoke and low FE. I will give a detailed report post a few hundred KMS, initial observation is very low smoke achieved.

2) Engine oil, oil filter, diesel filter, air filter cleanup, valve adjustment and tuning, new rubber tube for nozzles - all done. Total material bill was 1200Rs. Labour for above tasks, including FIP/Nozzle removal-refitting-tuning - was 500Rs. I tipped the mech boy who single handed my jeep 150Rs.

Breakup:
Purolator Oil filter - 130
Puro Diesel Filter (2) - 140
Diesel Pipe Kit - 40
Cotton Waste - 10
Servo Engine oil 15W40 5Litre can - 820
1 Bulb - 35
Super Glue - 5
Araldite - 20

Out of bill expenses are -
1Ltr Kerosene - 50Rs
1 FIP Packing paper - 10Rs
250Ml loose oil for air filter - 30Rs

I got 2 used AutoPal 3" clearlens focus lights for 100Rs a Pair. Gladly bought them from the garage's electrician.

-------------------------Ps-----------------
While I was at the garage the whole day, noticed the shops' electrician attend to 2 or 3 sumo's/jeeps for starter motor problems. I saw how quick he dismantles a starter motor, changes the bendix and puts it back together - all under 30Mins.

He charges 200Rs labor for a starter motor overhaul and 150Rs labor for a alternator overhaul. I found it very affordable.
-------------------------------------------
Good going Santhosh. I'm happy for you
trammway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 22:11   #118
Senior - BHPian
 
svsantosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hosur
Posts: 3,308
Thanked: 1,252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Good going Santhosh. I'm happy for you
Anna - remember the 4th nozzle leaking... it still is leaking. I need to go to mech again tomm and get 2 more packets of fevikwik
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:56   #119
BHPian
 
manish.thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kottayam, kochi
Posts: 52
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Hi Santosh,

Which mechanic did you go to initially, while in Chennai? I am from Mogappair and I felt you must have visited somebody very close to my home. Now that I am getting stung by the JEEP thing, seriously considering getting myself one.

I was on a trip to Bangalore this weekend and had an opportunity to drive IRONWOLF's MM540. It FELT GOOD.
manish.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:02   #120
Senior - BHPian
 
svsantosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hosur
Posts: 3,308
Thanked: 1,252 Times
Default Juggad...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Anna - remember the 4th nozzle leaking... it still is leaking. I need to go to mech again tomm and get 2 more packets of fevikwik
This time he didnt use any glue!! He took a few inches from a (clean) cotton waste, rolled it into a washer kinda thing - kept it between the steel pipe and the nozzle head and tightened it. It worked!! His verdict is; the nozzle body needs to be changed.

--------Post FIP Overhaul--------

Very little smoke, pickup is slightly less. I get that feeling because, earlier it was set high and caused lot of black smoke. FE looks Ok, didnt check it yet, but looks like it is back to 10-11 range, which is better.
------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish.thomas View Post
Which mechanic did you go to initially, while in Chennai?

Bharani in Mandaveli

I am from Mogappair and I felt you must have visited somebody very close to my home. ...

Alacrity Apt's, are you near it?

It FELT GOOD

You bet
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra: Difference between a Classic and CJ340 bhoise 4x4 Technical 80 17th July 2017 16:35
Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family Samurai 4x4 Vehicles 1469 6th July 2017 14:42
CJ3B & CL340 CJ340 (Mechanical Differences & Similarities) harjeev 4x4 Technical 42 28th August 2011 10:10
CJ340 conquers the hill... Samurai 4x4 Excursions 29 11th August 2008 22:06
Upgrading brakes on CJ340 Samurai Modifications & Accessories 54 18th June 2008 08:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:29.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks