Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 25th August 2009, 10:59   #16
BHPian

Default you can get a power steering

Hi
you can think of getting a power steering setup in your gypsy as well as I have done if you check out the 2 links here :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ing-gypsy.html (Power steering for Gypsy.)

I have not had any problems after facing some teething issues but you will void the warranty (which u will anyway do if u go ahead with any modification) so you can very well think of getting this conversion done.

Regarding the tyres, the BF Goodrich 215/75/15 isalso a very good option which I think of having on one of my gypsies.

my 2 cents

regards,
Dr. Abheek Ghosh
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 11:45   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster 4x4 View Post
News, News! Maruti Suzuki seems to be outdoing itself on every score with this purchase. Good Omen. The dealership just called me to say the KING is ready (and my deposit cheque has not even hit my account yet!). I'm now rushing through with the loan approaval! Been walking around with a very grossly misunderstood smile on my face.

Rehaan Thanks for that immensely informative video. Some very practical suggestions that can come only from experience. I'm drawing up my wishlist for "Phase I" and will incorporate some of these. Will put it out shortly.

Yesterday I was talking to a friend who's been in the raid a few times but in the 2 wheeler category. He told me that Raid participants do not use tubeless (only tubes). Any thoughts on this?
the participants use only tyres with tubes, cause they are easy to replace and fix the puncture, which can be done by anyone on the road side! people carry extra tubes with them and in case of a big puncture, its easy and cheap to replace a tube then a tubeless tyre!

not all road side people can fix a tubeless tyre puncture with perfection! and if not fixed properly it will trouble you through out the RAID!

if you want any more info, you can ask Raj in performance auto, cause he is a vetern of RAID!
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 08:34   #18
BHPian

Ok, an update. It almost didn't happen when on Thursday, SBI played party pooper. I won't go into the long (ridiculous) story, but anyone trying to get a car loan from SBI, pls talk to me first so you are not rejected!

Thankfully my longtime bank HDFC saved the day (surprising because they had categorically refused to fund a Gypsy about 3 months back when I had first tried this exercise). So its all done now. I am looking forward to picking it up today! Can't wait!
But looks like the Yoko Geolanders are not in stock anywhere around in Gurgaon. Have a tyre dealership trying to arrange them but he has had no luck so far.
Jeepster 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 13:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hey jeepster 4x4 please do post the pics once you get your baby in hand...awaiting a detailed first drive review
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 11:43   #20
BHPian

Its here... Pictures to follow very shortly. Got in very late last evening and had to leave really early today morning. But can't drive it yet till the tyres are changed. My dealer is still trying to get the Yokos. In the meantime, any idea what should Yoko Geolander 215/75 R15 cost me and what would be a fair trade in price for 30 km CEAT F78/15 HT 85?
Old 31st August 2009, 15:45   #21
BHPian

Congrats Jeepster! Do post the pics. Yoko Geos of your asking size in Mumbai are around Rs. 4900
Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 16:22   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
Congrats Jeepster! Do post the pics. Yoko Geos of your asking size in Mumbai are around Rs. 4900
Yeah. In the meantime did some research at my own end. The stock CEAT tyres are retailing for around Rs 2750/- in NCR while the Yoko Geo AT/S is retailing for Rs 4600/-. To my mind a reasonable difference for a set of 5 should be around 10,000/- considering that these guys said that they would give a market price less 300 for old ones (which is very resaonable). Yet, the best difference I've been able to negotiate so far is Rs 13000/-. 1 dealer is giving the proper market price for CEATs and inflating the Yokos and another one;'s doing exactly the opposite. Is there any way to escape this unfortunate situation? Net net, the difference is 13000/- when it should really be Rs 10,000/-. I'm still at it though.
Old 31st August 2009, 20:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah. In the meantime did some research at my own end. The stock CEAT tyres are retailing for around Rs 2750/- in NCR while the Yoko Geo AT/S is retailing for Rs 4600/-. To my mind a reasonable difference for a set of 5 should be around 10,000/- considering that these guys said that they would give a market price less 300 for old ones (which is very resaonable). Yet, the best difference I've been able to negotiate so far is Rs 13000/-. 1 dealer is giving the proper market price for CEATs and inflating the Yokos and another one;'s doing exactly the opposite. Is there any way to escape this unfortunate situation? Net net, the difference is 13000/- when it should really be Rs 10,000/-. I'm still at it though.
A couple of weeks back and I might have been able to help you in some way!!!

You see a friend of mine purchased 4 stock tyres of the gypsy. So you could have given your tyres to him and then tried to negotiate with the dealer who is quoting the lowest price to you!!!
Anyways the 3k that they are charging extra, I think that is their profit margin and it might me difficult to get them agree for 10k exchange offer. Try negotiating about 11.5k or something.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 10:43   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
the participants use only tyres with tubes, cause they are easy to replace and fix the puncture, which can be done by anyone on the road side! people carry extra tubes with them and in case of a big puncture, its easy and cheap to replace a tube then a tubeless tyre!

not all road side people can fix a tubeless tyre puncture with perfection! and if not fixed properly it will trouble you through out the RAID!

if you want any more info, you can ask Raj in performance auto, cause he is a vetern of RAID!
@ Jeepster 4 X 4, @ Parm - Regarding the tubeless tires, from my experience this is the way to go for the raid. Did the Raid Adventure in my Gypsy with Tubeless and was one of the few guys without any flats throughout. Just keep 2 spares and you're home. The guys who beleived that tube tyres were better had endless trouble with punctures. Convinced a friend who drove the Desert Storm to run tubeless and he too had no puncture problems throughout.

Just my 2 cents!

Regards

Shyam
shyammg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 18:10   #25
BHPian

OK Parm, Got your message loud and clear from all the plaques you were waving at me~

Here goes!
Attached Thumbnails
Countdown to my Rally Gypsy-img_1843.jpg  

Countdown to my Rally Gypsy-img_1844.jpg  

Countdown to my Rally Gypsy-img_1847.jpg  

Countdown to my Rally Gypsy-img_1848.jpg  

Countdown to my Rally Gypsy-img_1849.jpg  

Countdown to my Rally Gypsy-img_1850.jpg  

Countdown to my Rally Gypsy-img_1851.jpg  

Countdown to my Rally Gypsy-img_1852.jpg  

Old 1st September 2009, 18:43   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
A couple of weeks back and I might have been able to help you in some way!!!

You see a friend of mine purchased 4 stock tyres of the gypsy. So you could have given your tyres to him and then tried to negotiate with the dealer who is quoting the lowest price to you!!!
Anyways the 3k that they are charging extra, I think that is their profit margin and it might me difficult to get them agree for 10k exchange offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Try negotiating about 11.5k or something.
This is what i'm gunning for. The dealer is expected to restock by tomorrow, so hopefully, the king will have his new shoes by this time tomorrow
Old 1st September 2009, 18:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

congrats
she is a beauty\beast
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 20:12   #28
BHPian

Default Congrats!

Quote:
OK Parm, Got your message loud and clear from all the plaques you were waving at me~

Here goes!
So Jeepster4x4, finally you manage to post pics and with lots of pushing from parm?

Thanks for pics and she is a beauty.

Now waiting for the pics with rollcage and cabin! When are you taking it to Raj? Have you been there recently? Did you notice there is another white Gypsy King getting rollcage and cabin?

JeepCaptain
JeepCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 20:58   #29
BHPian

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
So Jeepster4x4, finally you manage to post pics and with lots of pushing from parm?

Thanks for pics and she is a beauty.

Now waiting for the pics with rollcage and cabin! When are you taking it to Raj? Have you been there recently? Did you notice there is another white Gypsy King getting rollcage and cabin?

JeepCaptain
Never visited Raj, have only spoken to him a few times. Is that other one yours?? As for rollcage & cabin, that may have to wait just a wee bit! I am scheduled to drive up to Spiti with a bunch of biker & cager friends mid September. I wanna take this baby for a ride with me if I can - so don't wanna rush it. My first priority after the tyres is to get an AC fitted with a cooling system upgrade. In the meantime, I'll let Raj ponder on my wishlist for a cabin.

I want a cabin, but I also want a setup that allows optional backseats with a soft top so this can double up as a small "family vacation" car as well without too much hassle. Raj thought it was doable with some innovative thinking. Meanwhile if anyone else has any ideas, do let me know.
Old 1st September 2009, 21:12   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Hi Jeepster

Congrats on your choice to get a new KING! Hope the loan works out quickly for you.

Keep the stock rims and upgrade to 215/75 R15. This is the best size for the Gypsy. I had these for many years and never faced any probs, OTR or tarmac. Keep a spare tube though just in case.

Raj Kappor is a very knoledgable person. He is the best person to go to for Gypsy mods.

Keep it as standard as possible for some time to get a feel of the vehicle. What mods you want to do will come to you automatically.

Cheers
Ankit
Aye .

More so after I test drove another Gypsy today. The GM at the Maruti dealership I went to, is an auto enthusiast as well. Today he let me test drive his 15 year old Gypsy. This one was almost standard with some very minor tweaking here or there. The steering was so soft, it seemed as good as a power steering. And the ride quality was very very smooth.

He credited the smooth ride to a simple leaf spring lift! He still has to divulge the secret of the smooth steering wheel. So I hear you about the "Go slow" part.

Meanwhile, any thoughts on this leaf spring lift this guy was speaking about?