Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 30th September 2009, 16:57   #16
BHPian

Default hi

Hi Atul,

Its really a rare find and good to see that you are planning to restore it to its own glory. Congrats and All the best for your restoration.

Go for Original engine.

Tarkesh
Ricky_3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 17:03   #17
BHPian

Thanks Taarkesh, F-head it shall be. But i need a 4 or 5 speed box which gives me better cruising. I'm not looking for very high speeds, just relaxed engine speeds when its turning at its optimum in the power band.
Thanks for such die hard support.

atul
ATUL SINGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 17:08   #18
BHPian

Sorry Tarkesh, i got your name spelt wrong in my last post.
Apologies.

Regards,
atul
Old 30th September 2009, 17:08   #19
BHPian

KMT-90 stands for Kia Motor Transmission-90. It was developed by Kia motor company from original T-90 in order to fill the large gap between the first and second ratio of T-90 as Sabareesh has more correctly illustrated. The T-90 is essentially a Borg and Warner design and product (this I learnt just now looking for more info on the subject). Both T-90 and KMT -90 are paired with divorced T-18 transfer case. That is the transfer case is an independent entity and can be taken off or put on as per requirement. In your Jeeps case, since its a 2wd convert the transfer case must have been removed and rear wheels powered by the gearbox itself.

BA-10 is a peugeot design(Just came to know about it). It is a 5 forward one reverse ratio gearbox. Dont know about its ratios and not sure if it can be mated to a hurricane engine. Will need more help on this topic.
diesel_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 20:30   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUL SINGH View Post
Will the BA10 mate well with the F-head. Then the TC, will it come as a part of the BA10 or will i have to source it seperately? Which TC for the BA10? jasvinder, are you still there? Gosh, the amount of info that you guys-sorry-pals (in case there's some one here from the fairer sex) can churn up as tech advice is mind boggling. For a railway mech engineer its fantastic getting such comprehensive info directly at the push of a few keys. You guys really have me hooked on.

Regards,
atul
Atul,

Information on the net states that the BA-10 came mated with NP-207 and NP-231 Transfer cases. A BA-10 coming off an army disposal will most probably come with a transfer case, but you might have to consider the alignment of transfer case output point with regard to front and rear differentials. Plus the issue of its adaptability with Hurricane still remains. I am sure an adapter plate can be fabricated to mate both of them together.
Gear ratios for the BA10/5 are: 3.39, 2.33, 1.44, 1.00, 0.79, for first through fifth gears, respectively. The ratios should not create much of a difference in the ride as they wary between T-90 and KMT-90's range. I hope this information is of some help.

I enjoyed looking all this up on the net. Really got to learn a few things myself.

regards
diesel_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 20:40   #21
BHPian

Dear Athul, you have stumbled on a treasure. Please go for the original Hurricane with 3 speed gear box if you wish to get the spirit and charm of the 3B. Had you been particular on economy, you could have easily bought a CJ 500 for the same price. Follow your heart!
Ashley Nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 22:20   #22
BHPian

Jasvinder, you're a peach...going to all the trouble to search out the information on the net.
Ashley, i'll try to come up to your expectations of keeping the 3B lineage. thanks for the encouragement.

Regards,
atul
Old 1st October 2009, 10:14   #23
BHPian

Hey Atul

Congrats on your new jeep. Retain the original engine and gearbox. It will be back to the original glory. This should also be ok since as you say yo are fine with 8-9 kmpl. I dont think engine will be straining but again I am not very sure (Still a lot to learn from here!) I am sure there are other gurus here who can shed a light on this.

Nishanth
hgnishanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 11:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

Default Military CJ3B

Hi Atul,

Congratulations on your CJ3B. It getting difficult finding one.

I would suggest.

1) Restore to Original Military Specs/Looks
2) F4-134 with T90

Regards,

Arka

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...violent-3.html (Silent, But Violent)

Mahindra Military Jeeps on The CJ3B Page
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 11:50   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUL SINGH View Post
Sorry Tarkesh, i got your name spelt wrong in my last post.
Apologies.

Regards,
atul
No issues Man!! while pronouncing it is like that only.

Anyways its good that you have decided to go for F head . Great Going !! All the best.

Tarkesh
Ricky_3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 11:52   #26
BHPian

THANKS ARKA,
I know 3B's are hard to come by. there is another rusted civilian 3B lurking in delhi i made a reference to in one of my earlier posts. A '69 model, with J&K number plate, used by the Rlys in their valley project. However the RC will not be handed over and only a sale advice from the rly's will be given. the builder's plate may be destroyed/removed from the vehicle. if somebody can manage registration from a far away place which still does'nt follow stage II/III pollution norms then it can be a bargain at around 35k. the engine is intact F-134, the axles are in place and only the TC is missing. The body will need extensive work, specially the floor and bonnet areas. By the way what's the cruising speeds for the 3B with the T-90 and the maximum speed for a well tuned jeep?

Regards,
atul
Old 1st October 2009, 11:57   #27
BHPian

Thanks Tarkesh.
By the way, whats the standard headlight bulb used on the 3B. is it 60/55W on 12V or is it something different? What output does the original dynamo pump out? is there any way of laying my hands on an owner's manual on the mahindra CJ3B RHD, either hard or soft copy?

regards,
atul
Old 1st October 2009, 12:59   #28
BHPian

Captain, in addition to the Rly 3B at delhi there's another 3B lying at Faridabad. its a '72 model RHD. it has gone thru certain mods- nissan engine, roll over bar, dog eared fenders. 2WD since i could'nt locate the front differential. the engine has gone kaput, i think the head or something. its currently lying at a mechanics place and the owner was willing to sell it around 50-60k. body has some rust but i never did a detailed study. Registration was done at Rohtak and later transferred to Loharu (Haryana)i'll try to get some snaps and post them soon.

Regards,
atul
Old 8th October 2009, 11:29   #29
BHPian

hi atul,
was a pleasure to speak to u . get the 3b going with hurricane , as its addictive and driving 50 kms as u plan will seem much shorter than what u wish it would be.
docfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 15:56   #30
BHPian

Sharad,
it was nice talking to you and it was very thoughtful of you to share such intricate details & experiance of your 3B. Have you posted snaps of your jeep in this forum?

atul