Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 26th October 2009, 10:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpatra View Post
....The main motivation for this discussion after detail review of Darbar Sir’s tread what u need in a 550 /540 and Kandisa’s tread.kandisa 's Initiation to make the jeep for urban use is really admirable....
Thanks Srinivas. Basically my jeep is supposed to satisfy the second car requirement hence the efforts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svpatra View Post
..The conclusion of this discussion will lead to make a jeep for cruising may not be at 100 but at a comfortable speed on highways.......
Now that is pretty much possible. If you go through the top-speeds of the jeeps bhpians have mentioned in another thread, cruising in the range of 70-80 is quite common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu
One most important factor i have noticed that goes against a jeep for cruising is the engine sound and vibrations. These two things make you more tired than the ride itself. And with a petrol engine (mm440, though i haven't driven any) i believe the engine sound is almost null compared to the noisy and vibratory Peugeot s and this makes your ride comfortable by almost 50%
Agree 100% with that. I had a short drive of one 540 and one 550 (not XDB) and the noise & vibrations are bound to make the drive way too fatigued. May be it felt more after getting used to the petrol jeep but a more or less properly tuned petrol jeep is way too better in these factors. My 440 makes almost same vibration or less than the Alto in neutral!! As per improvements are concerned, i have seen this blue petrol monster performing way better than most of the jeeps:

Name:  i12546.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  74.2 KB

It had Original magnaflow exhaust (direction changed later than what you see here), K&N rally filter, original APC seats, a proper roll cage and all these were done way back around four years ago. Though its performance was even increased due to the driving skill of the person who built it! At least for me, the petrol heart, all synchro 5-speed gearbox, comfortable seat with seat belts, roll cage, good quality top have really enhanced the comfort and safety level in jeep standard. If i can be capable of any help in any concerned things you can always let me know.
-regards,

Last edited by Kandisa : 26th October 2009 at 10:39.
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 13:49   #17
BHPian

Hi All,

I think my dreams are not very far, in one of the tread I came to know that the new THAR has got the same thing what I was planning for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
Finally!! We can buy the '540'. getting impatient , i was all set to build my own 'thar'. I've already bought a Scorpio chassis and was waiting for a Scorpio engine. Now , I guess I'll wait.
So it will be same suspension ,chassis and the Heart ( Scorpio Motor CRDE) this is exactly what was planned by 14000rpm.
Thanks Kandisa for your input
regards
Srinivas
svpatra is offline   Reply With Quote