Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 23rd May 2011, 13:59   #151
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: MM550 Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
Going slightly OT ,

Jannaiah aka cheddi mestri makes kamaans ( leaf springs) for Jeeps.

There are mixed reviews on this gentleman

Nobody advises him here locally and strongly advise not to get conned for reasons best known. The Jeep collectors as well as the experienced offroaders strictly stay away from him .

I have seen his work mostly on JEEPS which are used to carry load (beedi leaves) and how the owner becomes a laughing stock very soon for paying him 20k.

A friend of mine got conned and had to suffer a sagging leaf spring just after a week.

How ever i have not come to a conclusion since he has a good reputation here at TBHP and would like to meet Fazal bhai and check out his JEEP.

Fazal bhai where is your JEEP in Bhahadhurpura ?

Tejas , i guess you are fitting 33" tires in your next project which needs atleast 3" lift for proper suspension flex.

I have ordered skyjacker 4" lift kit for my CJ6 and i guess that is another option you can look at.
Frankenstein,

I am not doing any kind of PR for Janaiah, just giving him his due.

There are many here in Hyderabad who will swear by one mechanic and others will curse the same guy to death, it is more of hearsay than personal experience, but mostly due to the reason that we can afford to do so because we have the luxury of many choices, here.

There are quite a many (no names) seasoned off roaders I know, who will not go to anybody else but him, there are restorers too who will not leave their precious Jeeps with anyone else, a blanket statement stating otherwise, minus your personal experience, is not a right thing.

It is another thing that not all can afford him, as his charges are double of what others here charge. Heard people cribbing about the cost but never his quality of work.

Also, as none other can manufacture this helper spring, they declare it as 'FAILED', after having trying and failed themselves. Fact.

I pay for quality and quality costs, this I learn' t the hard way too.

The first helper spring job ever done was on my cousins orange 540, this Jeeps still regularly drives to Ooty and back, always with a trailer, effortlessly, no complaints, 3+ years.

I have done 5 Jeeps with helpers and 3 with regular springs and yet no complaint from anyone, but Siva.

His set up on Classic had 2 extra leafs in each set (his requirement) and was too stiff. Extra leafs equals to a thicker pack, on SPuA, it brought the U bolts and its plate to lower than the diff pumpkin level, the plate and U bolt fastener's were touching the rocks all over Avalakonda. That was his problem, no sagging or failure of the springs.

My personal experience with the helper spring has been good, about Janaiah and his innovation, I have shared on the forum, never endorsed his springs to anybody including Shibu or Siva.
Though, I have given them my feed back, like here.

Yes, my Jeep is at Bahadurpura and you can see it anytime and I too need to meet you. Read a lot about your Jeep.
Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 23rd May 2011 at 14:17.
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:21   #152
Team-BHP Support

What is the main advantage of helper spring, as i understand they help to increase the load capacity right?
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 17:23   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Frankenstein,

I am not doing any kind of PR for Janaiah, just giving him his due.

I pay for quality and quality costs, this I learn' t the hard way too.

The first helper spring job ever done was on my cousins orange 540, this Jeeps still regularly drives to Ooty and back, always with a trailer, effortlessly, no complaints, 3+ years.

I have done 5 Jeeps with helpers and 3 with regular springs and yet no complaint from anyone, but Siva.

His set up on Classic had 2 extra leafs in each set (his requirement) and was too stiff. Extra leafs equals to a thicker pack, on SPuA, it brought the U bolts and its plate to lower than the diff pumpkin level, the plate and U bolt fastener's were touching the rocks all over Avalakonda. That was his problem, no sagging or failure of the springs.

My personal experience with the helper spring has been good, about Janaiah and his innovation, I have shared on the forum, never endorsed his springs to anybody including Shibu or Siva.
Though, I have given them my feed back, like here.

Yes, my Jeep is at Bahadurpura and you can see it anytime and I too need to meet you. Read a lot about your Jeep.
Regards,
Dear Fazal Sir, Thanks for the clarification. Thanks very much indeed for your help in getting me the Janaih springs. So far I have never had any issues even after severe abuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
What is the main advantage of helper spring, as i understand they help to increase the load capacity right?
Dear Jaggu Advantage of Janaih springs is not just increased load capacity. Thats actually a secondary thing. For me below are the advantages.
1) Made the 550 more stable and smooth over bad roads and potholes and especially during OTR's. ( Dont ask me the reason, May be Fazal Sir can explain more.)
2) Body Roll is reduced considerably.
3) I found a big difference in the overall handing of the vehicle
4) And for testing I removed the Janaih springs and put OE 550 springs and asked many of my Jeep friends to drive and they all agreed that Janaih springs was much better than OE springs.

Also fyi- AFAIK this is not a new technology from Janaih. These was used in Willys MB Jeeps. But only on the front left side. Check out the pics below. Janaih springs uses support leafs on all four sides.

All pics courtesy respective copyright owners.

Willys MB Torque Spring front LHS

Name:  MB_TA_Spring_from_behind3.jpg
Views: 5466
Size:  60.0 KB

Name:  MB_TA_Spring_from_behind.jpg
Views: 5009
Size:  53.2 KB

From Willys MB Assembly Line.
Name:  MB Torque Spring _large_1.jpg
Views: 3774
Size:  57.3 KB

Cheers
Shibu Varghese
JeepCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 19:05   #154
Team-BHP Support

Question i have is why was it used? Willys MB had soft springs that could buckle under extreme conditions?

Remember UBS mentioning original willy spring being soft and supple and will be almost flat compared to our Indian avatars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
Also fyi- AFAIK this is not a new technology from Janaih. These was used in Willys MB Jeeps. But only on the front left side. Check out the pics below. Janaih springs uses support leafs on all four sides.

All pics courtesy respective copyright owners.

Attachment 549602

Attachment 549603

From Willys MB Assembly Line.
Attachment 549620

Cheers
Shibu Varghese
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 00:19   #155
BHPian

Jeepcaptain and Fazaladil , i have never stated that you guys are doing any PR or something in the first place.

Fazaladil there are only 4 people i know off who are considered top class mechanics i.e

Bharath motors Narayan anna
GTY Ghouse bhai
Raju
and Ahmed bhai .

There are for sure no good mechanics in Bahadhurpura except body wokers namely Younis etc.

I have no where mentioned or made blanket statements , but just mentioned what i have heard and seen , but also stated that i did not come to any conclusion and therefore wanted to see your JEEP.

Sir this set up is very much there in the Willys MB , ford gpw , i shall personally show you this setup in our CJ2A . Just that he does this set up on all four sides.

I checked the Beedi JEEP and it was rock hard , IIRC even Trammway mentioned that even after removing the extra leaf the ride was worst.

Dont get me wrong , i was just trying to clarify things and value your experience with this setup.

I guess we Hyd guys value quality work and hence spend 1.2L just for denting body work(tinkering).

Please PM me you contact number.

Last edited by Frankenstein : 24th May 2011 at 00:22.
Frankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 04:23   #156

I am based in Mumbai and I own a 1942 ford GPW, which I wish to restore. I learnt that the best jobs on jeeps are done in Hydrabad. Could I get the name and contact numbers of best garages which could do a complete job on the jeep for me.
Thanks
abajla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 23:33   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abajla View Post
I am based in Mumbai and I own a 1942 ford GPW, which I wish to restore. I learnt that the best jobs on jeeps are done in Hydrabad. Could I get the name and contact numbers of best garages which could do a complete job on the jeep for me.
Thanks
Mumbai also has a few good places where you can get your GPW done. I would suggest Arun Bhai who is based out of borivili for you engine and mechanicals.
davids4x4mm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 23:39   #158

Could you share the contact number pls?
Old 11th October 2012, 21:11   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abajla View Post
Could you share the contact number pls?
Hi abajla,
Send me a PM and I will send you my contacts. Cheers.
JC
JeepCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2013, 08:49   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids4x4mm550 View Post

Mumbai also has a few good places where you can get your GPW done. I would suggest Arun Bhai who is based out of borivili for you engine and mechanicals.
Hey, could I get the contact details of Arun Bhai pls
Old 17th May 2013, 12:05   #161
BHPian

Pardon my ignorance,

Slight off topic.

But i want to know about the Turning radius of CKBJ Vs OKBJ.

If someone has CKBJ, is it good for city driving, tight corners, provided it is equipped with power steering.
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote