Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2010, 01:18   #181
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 123
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

Congrats. Fantastic machine. Good to see an enthusiast thread with so may followers. I really wonder why Maruti has not enhanced the Gypsy? The other day I was discussing about this with an old friend - what if Maruti thrusts some life back on to the Gypsy; gives engine options, maybe a multijet diesel. Imagine a top end 4x4 Gypsy with a diesel heart, oodles of torque, PS, Alloys, ABS etc. Now if priced right, it would be one heck of a purchase.
gaurav911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 08:47   #182
BHPian
 
starter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 898
Thanked: 261 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewire View Post
Hey - the front facing rear bench looks really comfy. I know getting in and out is a tad difficult, but its something that one can live with. So gentlemen, any ideas where can I get my hands on such a seat in delhi are welcome.
Hey Kunal,
Thanks. Like i've mentioned, these are original gypsy's front facing seats of Shahnawaz. Newer gypsies do not come with holes to get these seats fitted. So, i had to bore holes on the body to get these fitted. That is it.

Quote:
Also the water leaks from the recess between the door and wind screen frame (where you will see a tacky piece of sponge stuck) try getting a silicon filling there..wont stop it, but will defi reduce the water seepage.
Thanks for the tip Kunal. I shall try to get this done. I still think that the leakage is happening somewhere under the dashboard.
Anyway, I got this tip from Condor. You can buy a tube of Anabond and keep it in the Gypsy. It is this silicone kind of adhesive that you can use to plug small leaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav911 View Post
Congrats. Fantastic machine. Good to see an enthusiast thread with so may followers. I really wonder why Maruti has not enhanced the Gypsy? The other day I was discussing about this with an old friend - what if Maruti thrusts some life back on to the Gypsy; gives engine options, maybe a multijet diesel. Imagine a top end 4x4 Gypsy with a diesel heart, oodles of torque, PS, Alloys, ABS etc. Now if priced right, it would be one heck of a purchase.
Hey Gaurav,
Thanks a lot!
You are so right about these add-ons for a Gypsy.
Hope, Maruti listens to us. A diesel heart would be a welcome change.
I would like to stay a bit away from unwanted electronics in this vehicle. So PS, Alloys, ABS, i can live without them.
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 18:53   #183
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

@Starter
Buddy your gypsy looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewire View Post
hey harjeev - thanks for the feedback ..but had heard that the mayapuri seats are strictly ok...got mine done from one of the guys whos a gypsy specialist - but his wor has tuned out to be ok types. But anyways, am gonna go and check out whats available in mayapuri.
buddy, why dont you check out the market opposite hotel hayat, bikaji camma place. In that market there's this guys (the name escapes my memory) but this guy did a wonderful job on Rahul's(motorcraft) gypsy. I intended to go there long back but I am lazy as a bum (due to the extreme heat these days) , so no luck!!!
what I am advising you to do is now do not buy new seats as you already have it. What you can do is get the re-fabricated, it wouldn't cost a bomb and would give you much better and comfortable experience if you decide to get it re-fabricated!!!
Best of luck
Cheers

Quote:
Hope dont get any radiation laden seats : )
hahaha!!!
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 19:15   #184
BHPian
 
starter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 898
Thanked: 261 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
@Starter
Buddy your gypsy looks great.
Hey Harjeev,
Thanks a ton buddy!
How is your Gypsy doing?
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 18:53   #185
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Hey Harjeev,
Thanks a ton buddy!
How is your Gypsy doing?
Cheers,
Deepak
Great! Not driving it much these days. The eat is killing. One doesn't feel like getting out atall!!!
Just got it serviced last weekend (was pending since I brought it back from desert storm). Found a good garrage near my home. Just the normal oil change, washing, injector cleaning etc!!!
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 11:38   #186
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 826
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Hey Starter

Very useful thread. A few questions

1. Did you manage to fit an A/C finally?
2. Is there local Bangalore expertise to fit A/C without encountering over-heating issues?
3. If local dealer refuses to fit A/C, can we do it from another MASS center and still retain warranty? Like in Chennai or wherever the expertise is available?

Thanks
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 12:46   #187
BHPian
 
starter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 898
Thanked: 261 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Hey Starter

Very useful thread. A few questions

1. Did you manage to fit an A/C finally?
2. Is there local Bangalore expertise to fit A/C without encountering over-heating issues?
3. If local dealer refuses to fit A/C, can we do it from another MASS center and still retain warranty? Like in Chennai or wherever the expertise is available?

Thanks
Hey Ragul,
Thanks buddy. Am glad, you found my thread useful.
Now, coming to your questions:
  1. Nope, i've not got an AC installed in the Gypsy. I guess, am learning to live without it. Most of my friends including my service advisor have told me that there would be over heating issues. One of the main reasons for buying Gypsy was its reliability. I don't wanna screw it up unless it becomes unbearable to live without AC.
  2. There is definitely expertise to fit AC Ragul. Over-heating issues will surface but it isn't something that cannot be fixed. I enquired for AC at the following places:
    1. Aditya A/C: The one at Koramangala. Quote was 30K for all new parts. Sanden 507 Compressor.
    2. Sagar Automobiles: My dealer. Quote was about 45K. Compressor from Swift, an AC duct for the back too!!
    3. Suraksha: My service place. Quote was about 25K. Sanden 507 Compressor.
  3. My dealer himself told me that if they install AC, the warranty will get void. Come to think of it now, if you develop a good relationship with your MASS, you could still claim warranty if need be.
Feel free to ask any questions you would have. I shall try my best to help you.

Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 13:05   #188
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,985
Thanked: 351 Times
Default

@Starter & Ragul: Technically the warranty will be void if you fit A/C but I remember speaking to Guru Subramanium aka gsferrari who also has bought a new Gypsy that his dealer fixed A/C without voiding the warranty. So I'msure there is a way around.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 13:11   #189
BHPian
 
starter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 898
Thanked: 261 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
@Starter & Ragul: Technically the warranty will be void if you fit A/C but I remember speaking to Guru Subramanium aka gsferrari who also has bought a new Gypsy that his dealer fixed A/C without voiding the warranty. So I'msure there is a way around.
Yup MC. You are right about the warranty getting void.
The way around it is what i was talking about in my post.
So, if it has to work, it must be 'coz you've maintained a good relationship with your dealer/MASS.
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 13:17   #190
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,821
Thanked: 1,431 Times
Default

Hey Starter, here goes a pretty impertinent question. What is the FE you are getting from the Gypsy and at what speeds in the city and the highway? What tire pressures do you maintain?
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 13:38   #191
BHPian
 
starter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 898
Thanked: 261 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Hey Starter, here goes a pretty impertinent question. What is the FE you are getting from the Gypsy and at what speeds in the city and the highway? What tire pressures do you maintain?
Hi Dev,
Not at all!
Fuel Efficiency of Gypsy isn't too bad.
I take it to office almost daily, Banashankari 3 Stage to Whitefield (35 kms one way, 70 kms a day), completely in bumper to bumper traffic. It returns me anywhere between 10 & 10.5 kmpl.
On the highways, it returns me around 12 or 12.5 kmpl.
To be honest, i haven't checked it very seriously. So, there might be a + or - 0.5kmpl error.
I am really very light on the pedal. The speeds in which i get these figures would be about 30 or 40 kmph within city and about 65 or 70 kmph on highways (average speed).
Tyre pressure on my BF Goodrich 215, 75, R15, would be about 28 PSI and 25 PSI in summers.
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 15:34   #192
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 826
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Hey Ragul,
Thanks buddy. Am glad, you found my thread useful.
Now, coming to your questions:
  1. Nope, i've not got an AC installed in the Gypsy. I guess, am learning to live without it. Most of my friends including my service advisor have told me that there would be over heating issues. One of the main reasons for buying Gypsy was its reliability. I don't wanna screw it up unless it becomes unbearable to live without AC.
  2. There is definitely expertise to fit AC Ragul. Over-heating issues will surface but it isn't something that cannot be fixed. I enquired for AC at the following places:
    1. Aditya A/C: The one at Koramangala. Quote was 30K for all new parts. Sanden 507 Compressor.
    2. Sagar Automobiles: My dealer. Quote was about 45K. Compressor from Swift, an AC duct for the back too!!
    3. Suraksha: My service place. Quote was about 25K. Sanden 507 Compressor.
  3. My dealer himself told me that if they install AC, the warranty will get void. Come to think of it now, if you develop a good relationship with your MASS, you could still claim warranty if need be.
Feel free to ask any questions you would have. I shall try my best to help you.

Cheers,
Deepak

Thanks. So ones service station need not be the dealer, and despite the dealer voiding warranty, the service station may still honor it? Agai nif the person who committed to honor is no longer there, there is a risk.

Did the dealer also say warranty on suspension was void because of up-sizing tires? The dealer I inquired with told me so.

Thanks
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 22:48   #193
Senior - BHPian
 
Desmosedici's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,381
Thanked: 405 Times
Default

Hey Deepak,

Know what i became a member somewhere in November last year but somehow missed this one yaar. read through the whole thread now in one go. Amazing experience that you have shared and so many good discussions in it.

I am just trying to work somethings to smoothen the ride. CFLs, Better Shocks and found a guy who is ready to do a coil conversion, but i am not so keen on that, a good chance to screw up the vehicle dynamics.

Keep it going...

Cheers,
Raj
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 02:06   #194
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 168
Thanked: 58 Times
Default

BFG's have greater rolling friction. There fore , average goes down. If you put highway terrain or keep stock tyrtes, gypsy will return mileage more than 16 km/ltr. on highways.

We also use farm tyres during OTR's, the mileage goes down to 8 km/ltr
wanderhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 11:47   #195
BHPian
 
starter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 898
Thanked: 261 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
So ones service station need not be the dealer, and despite the dealer voiding warranty, the service station may still honor it? Agai nif the person who committed to honor is no longer there, there is a risk.
Yes, you are right Ragul.
Quote:
Did the dealer also say warranty on suspension was void because of up-sizing tires? The dealer I inquired with told me so.
Thanks
My dealer did tell me that it would void the warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Hey Deepak,

Know what i became a member somewhere in November last year but somehow missed this one yaar. read through the whole thread now in one go. Amazing experience that you have shared and so many good discussions in it.

I am just trying to work somethings to smoothen the ride. CFLs, Better Shocks and found a guy who is ready to do a coil conversion, but i am not so keen on that, a good chance to screw up the vehicle dynamics.

Keep it going...

Cheers,
Raj
Hey Raj,
Thanks a lot!
Coil conversion?? But if he gets it right, articulation and ride quality on your Gypsy would be something to die for!!
So, what have you decided for suspension upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
BFG's have greater rolling friction. There fore , average goes down. If you put highway terrain or keep stock tyrtes, gypsy will return mileage more than 16 km/ltr. on highways.

We also use farm tyres during OTR's, the mileage goes down to 8 km/ltr
Hey Wanderhermit,
Gypsy returning 16 kmpl is really news to me.
Which farm tyres do you use? Could you kindly share details about it?
Or by farm tyres, do you mean MT?

Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swift DZire VDi - 20000 Kms Update - Few Problems SumitBahl Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 27th March 2011 18:35
Maruti Gypsy MG413W - King Pin Bearing issue gsferrari 4x4 Technical 86 9th March 2011 17:25
Buying the new MG413W HT (Gypsy King): Now bought a Bolero sriku SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 20 18th July 2009 13:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:51.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks