Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2011, 06:16   #256
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,348
Thanked: 1,007 Times
Default re: Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Additionally, got a pair of free wheeling hubs installed. Makes me wonder as to why din't i do it all this while

Deepak
Hi, can you describe a bit about just what the FWH do for you as a driver, other than the possibly slightly better FE?

With new 215 section tyres my car is now easier to steer in terms of effort, and I don't like to mess with the stock car unless I am sure that the benefit will be more than the loss of reliability.

Thanks.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 10:09   #257
BHPian
 
starter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 898
Thanked: 261 Times
Default re: Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Recamber for front or rear? If front go for additional plate instead.
Thanks a lot Jaggu. I guess, recambering is necessary only for front, at the moment.
Would the additional leaf not make the ride more hard Jaggu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Hi, can you describe a bit about just what the FWH do for you as a driver, other than the possibly slightly better FE?

With new 215 section tyres my car is now easier to steer in terms of effort, and I don't like to mess with the stock car unless I am sure that the benefit will be more than the loss of reliability.

Thanks.
Hey Sawyer,
Additional to the better FE, the steering feels lighter, from a driver's view. Additionally, lesser wear on the front axles is what i read.
Loss of reliability, i am not sure. It is actually a MGP. You can check on their parts catalogue and you would find FWH from Aisin and it costs somewhere around 10K. But the ones i bought are from Lambda.
I did hear/read about the bolts getting loose. But, the MASS where i got these installed, told me that they've taken care to ensure that they don't get loose.

Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 11:53   #258
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,491
Thanked: 6,768 Times
Default re: Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Thanks a lot Jaggu. I guess, recambering is necessary only for front, at the moment.
Would the additional leaf not make the ride more hard Jaggu?
Lil bit it can become hard but my guess you might not even notice with those shackles. Are the springs flat or gone negative? If its flat just leave it as it is for the time being, unless you plan to do lot of OTR driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
I did hear/read about the bolts getting loose. But, the MASS where i got these installed, told me that they've taken care to ensure that they don't get loose.

Cheers,
Deepak
Fix them with proper spring washer and they will stay locked. If you use normal washer chances of bolt getting lose is high.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 06:14   #259
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,348
Thanked: 1,007 Times
Default re: Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post


Hey Sawyer,
Additional to the better FE, the steering feels lighter, from a driver's view. Additionally, lesser wear on the front axles is what i read.
I am not sure I need the benefit of the lighter steering, because I find that once the car is in decent motion, the steering is pretty effortless even now. It is only at parking speeds that one needs to haul hard on the steering wheel, and at those speeds I can't see the FWH making any difference.
Lesser wear, probably, but on balance, with also the need to remember to lock the hubs in advance of encountering any 4x4 situation, I will stay away from them.
Thanks for the input and good luck with yours.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 08:44   #260
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,156
Thanked: 345 Times
Default re: Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Additionally, got a pair of free wheeling hubs installed.
Neat looking Gypsy there! Pardon my ignorance, but I thought that Gypsy comes with factory-fitted FWHs - is that not the case?
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 11:15   #261
BHPian
 
starter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 898
Thanked: 261 Times
Default re: Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Neat looking Gypsy there! Pardon my ignorance, but I thought that Gypsy comes with factory-fitted FWHs - is that not the case?
Thanks.
It used to be factory-fitted on the early MG410 models, as far as i know.
Not on the Gypsy King.
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 14:16   #262
BHPian
 
Harbir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 909
Thanked: 963 Times
Default re: Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms

Just read through the entire thread. great stuff. I have been wanting a red gypsy for years while in the US and having just returned and having considered a Pajero SFX and put it on the back burner, I am back to the Gypsy again. I am determined that it has to be new and it has to be red. I am a bit disturbed to find that the fitting A/C to the fuel injected versions isn't a possibility. Also not thrilled that the hard top gypsies no longer have the front facing seats. I am heartened however to see that the aisin free wheeling hubs can be retrofitted. I was not at all happy to see that the gypsy doesn't have these as OE anymore. Finding out that I cannot fit an A/C has put a big damper on things. I live in Delhi and 8 months of killing heat with no A/C is going to be tough. maybe I can remove the hardtop, fit that fabric cover over the front two seats, remove the doors and just drive it like that. atleast in the pre-monsoon season......
Harbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 19:19   #263
BHPian
 
starter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 898
Thanked: 261 Times
Default re: Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Finding out that I cannot fit an A/C has put a big damper on things. I live in Delhi and 8 months of killing heat with no A/C is going to be tough. maybe I can remove the hardtop, fit that fabric cover over the front two seats, remove the doors and just drive it like that. atleast in the pre-monsoon season......
Hey Harbir,
Sorry, just saw your post.
You can definitely fit an AC in the Gypsy. It is just that there have been many cases of overheating issues after AC installation. So, a little paranoid
But, Guru's (gsferrari) new Gypsy has an AC already and it looks like a fab job and i haven't heard of any over heating issues from him.
With the setup you have in mind, the AC would be even more effective.
So, all the best with your buy.
Cheers,
Deepak

PS: Might bug GS to hook me up with Sripad for an AC install in the next months.
starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 20:43   #264
BHPian
 
gsferrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 842
Thanked: 131 Times
Default re: Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms

AC - no problems with engine overheating. In fact vehicle runs cooler when the AC is on because the condenser fan compliments the radiator fan. I have a separate switch to turn the condensor fan on even when the compressor is OFF. I use this in slow-moving situations such as during OTRs (not enough airflow over radiator) to force air through the radiator. REALLY works.

@Starter - you can hit me up re:Sripad anytime. He is usually very busy but I can put in a word. I paid a lot because my AC is covered under dealer warranty + I configured my AC with different components.

You can read my thread to find out more.
gsferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 22:02   #265
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 826
Thanked: 113 Times
Default re: Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I am not sure I need the benefit of the lighter steering, because I find that once the car is in decent motion, the steering is pretty effortless even now. It is only at parking speeds that one needs to haul hard on the steering wheel, and at those speeds I can't see the FWH making any difference.
Lesser wear, probably, but on balance, with also the need to remember to lock the hubs in advance of encountering any 4x4 situation, I will stay away from them.
Thanks for the input and good luck with yours.

I agree. I am opting out as well. MASS just made my steering absolutely featherlite during 2nd service Almost like power steering now.

--Ragul
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 23:13   #266
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,491
Thanked: 6,768 Times
Default re: Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms

Get the FWH it will save your front axle also. Its worth it, only thing remember to engage them once in a while, just like you would the 4x4 system.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 18:00   #267
BHPian
 
shk 8896's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CLT/CBE/TVM
Posts: 379
Thanked: 172 Times
Default re: Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms

Your gypsy looks clean ,Deepak.Even though I hate Hard Tops of Gypsy,I love your Gypsy's Hard top.The Redf and white combination looks nice.Why are you not getting alloys for your Gypsy??If you are not intending to get alloys ,why not paint the rims in Black.Do update
Sreehari
shk 8896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 11:25   #268
BHPian
 
starter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 898
Thanked: 261 Times
Default re: Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk 8896 View Post
Your gypsy looks clean ,Deepak.Even though I hate Hard Tops of Gypsy,I love your Gypsy's Hard top.The Redf and white combination looks nice.Why are you not getting alloys for your Gypsy??If you are not intending to get alloys ,why not paint the rims in Black.Do update
Sreehari
Dear Sreehari,
Thanks! I am glad you like my Gypsy.
I bought a hard-top for some reasons, but now it no longer is a priority
I am buying metal wheels in black from Swastik and shall be replacing the stock wheels with them soon.
Just waiting for some good MT tyres to hit the market..
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2012, 10:33   #269
BHPian
 
starter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 898
Thanked: 261 Times
Default Front facing rear seat

Dear Friends,
When i bought my Gypsy, Khan gave me spidey's front facing rear seat.
I replaced my side facing seats with these.
They were a lot more comfortable than the side seats.
Thanks a lot Khan for gifting me with these seats.

Now, I no longer would need them since my parents would travel more in wifey's Polo.
Hence, I would like to offer these to another Jeep/Gypsy owner.
I've put some extra cushion and fabric seat covers and got the legs painted.
They can be fitted straight away.
Please let me know if somebody is in need of it.

Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2012, 10:51   #270
BHPian
 
satan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 355
Thanked: 801 Times
Default re: Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Dear Sreehari,
Thanks! I am glad you like my Gypsy.
I bought a hard-top for some reasons, but now it no longer is a priority
I am buying metal wheels in black from Swastik and shall be replacing the stock wheels with them soon.
Just waiting for some good MT tyres to hit the market..
Cheers,
Deepak
Hi Deepak,

Can you pl share a snap of the black metal wheels you are planning on fitting. Are these similar to the offset wheels that came with Samurais abroad.

Thanks,
Neville
satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swift DZire VDi - 20000 Kms Update - Few Problems SumitBahl Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 27th March 2011 18:35
Maruti Gypsy MG413W - King Pin Bearing issue gsferrari 4x4 Technical 86 9th March 2011 17:25
Buying the new MG413W HT (Gypsy King): Now bought a Bolero sriku SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 20 18th July 2009 13:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks