Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2010, 11:12   #226
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 307
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: ex army MM550 in Bombay

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalini_g View Post
Hi David,

What is the total cost of Jeep including restoration and the buying price ?

Regards,
Gopi.

To be honest i have lost track.
davids4x4mm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 19:29   #227
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 307
Thanked: 55 Times
Default roll cage

4 points of the 6 point roll cage DONE DIY redoxide paint job will be painted mat black soon

The idea was to have a 6 point roll cage made without having too get rid of the doors and the b pillar and the stock soft top/fitings.

Thanks to my friend Sanjay Kale (another jeep nut)
Shaym the pipe bender.
Dinesh and gang for the fabrication.

will upload wip pics soon
Attached Thumbnails
ex army MM550 in Bombay-dsc01350.jpg  

ex army MM550 in Bombay-dsc01351.jpg  

ex army MM550 in Bombay-dsc01352.jpg  

davids4x4mm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 19:49   #228
BHPian
 
4x4army's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 114
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: ex army MM550 in Bombay

Looking Sexy in red colour!!
upload all pics of entire process.
4x4army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 11:57   #229
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 200
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: ex army MM550 in Bombay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4army View Post
Looking Sexy in red colour!!
upload all pics of entire process.
Even I would vote for Red.

Red is looking good.
Cloud_Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 16:40   #230
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 731
Thanked: 53 Times
Default Re: roll cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids4x4mm550 View Post
4 points of the 6 point roll cage DONE DIY redoxide paint job will be painted mat black soon

this look like a 4 point roll cage david.
and it does not provide much safety to the front two passengers
xtreme power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 17:09   #231
Senior - BHPian
 
chanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: APX to AP 29
Posts: 1,481
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: ex army MM550 in Bombay

Mean looking machine, love the shade. Yes a German Red would do wonders, how about the mudgaurd fenders of a Army 550's or a CJ7?

I am wishing to have a MM550 but the process of where to get how to re register is confusing and scaring me. I have lots of plans and ideas for the machine I've even started dreaming about it.
chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 18:01   #232
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 307
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: ex army MM550 in Bombay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4army View Post
Looking Sexy in red colour!!
upload all pics of entire process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud_Chaser View Post
Even I would vote for Red.

Red is looking good.
NO red on this one , its going mat black

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power View Post
this look like a 4 point roll cage david.
and it does not provide much safety to the front two passengers
Yea Right Its now got only 4 points the front part of the roll cage will be done soon as the fabricator gets time, pipes ,plates everything bent and ready to go in

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Mean looking machine, love the shade. Yes a German Red would do wonders, how about the mudgaurd fenders of a Army 550's or a CJ7?

I am wishing to have a MM550 but the process of where to get how to re register is confusing and scaring me. I have lots of plans and ideas for the machine I've even started dreaming about it.
Thanks man , wish you all the best but just dont dream just get it done
Attached Thumbnails
ex army MM550 in Bombay-img_4477.jpg  

ex army MM550 in Bombay-img_4481.jpg  

ex army MM550 in Bombay-img_4489.jpg  

ex army MM550 in Bombay-img_4496.jpg  

ex army MM550 in Bombay-img_4512.jpg  

ex army MM550 in Bombay-img_4579.jpg  

ex army MM550 in Bombay-img_4581.jpg  

ex army MM550 in Bombay-img_4598.jpg  

ex army MM550 in Bombay-img_4616.jpg  

ex army MM550 in Bombay-img_4617.jpg  

davids4x4mm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 18:32   #233
BHPian
 
Thar4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 512
Thanked: 648 Times
Default Re: ex army MM550 in Bombay

Nice Job David,
I am fan of your jeep, starting from the day you brought it from mayapuri (if I am right) till this roll cage. I was not registered member at that time.

Jeep looks dashing now.

Thanks,
Vishal
Thar4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 18:52   #234
Senior - BHPian
 
jeepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: MH24 aka LATUR
Posts: 1,521
Thanked: 941 Times
Default Re: ex army MM550 in Bombay

what kind if welding is used TIG or MIG ?
jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 21:33   #235
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 679 Times
Default Re: ex army MM550 in Bombay

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids4x4mm550 View Post
Yea Right Its now got only 4 points the front part of the roll cage will be done soon as the fabricator gets time, pipes ,plates everything bent and ready to go in
David, a few queries:-

1. What size pipes are those 1.75" or 2"?
2. What thickness mounting plates have you used, they look pretty thick. Have you provided reinforcements under the panels?

If you have plans of getting Front facing seats fitted along with Seat Belts (ELR type), you can get 7/16" UNF size threads tapped on to the roll over bar at appropriate locations (otherwise the ELR will not work properly)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
what kind if welding is used TIG or MIG ?
Looks like it is MIG welding. Can't see the filler rods also!

Spike

PS- Please use washers also if possible.

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 17th February 2011 at 21:50.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 23:03   #236
Senior - BHPian
 
navpreet318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 1,700
Thanked: 808 Times
Default Re: ex army MM550 in Bombay

I think he's using one plate on top and another under the body panel.Will the panel still need reinforcement?

Also is this the best way of installing a rollcage?Are there any more methods of installing a rollcage?
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 23:12   #237
Senior - BHPian
 
chanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: APX to AP 29
Posts: 1,481
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: ex army MM550 in Bombay

Yup for sure I will get it one day. Gun shot! for now this fella is serving the purpose with loads of happiness.
Attached Images
 
chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 18:50   #238
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 307
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: ex army MM550 in Bombay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Nice Job David,
I am fan of your jeep, starting from the day you brought it from mayapuri (if I am right) till this roll cage. I was not registered member at that time.

Jeep looks dashing now.


Thanks,
Vishal
Thanks, yup its from Mayapuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
what kind if welding is used TIG or MIG ?
Mig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
David, a few queries:-

1. What size pipes are those 1.75" or 2"?
2. What thickness mounting plates have you used, they look pretty thick. Have you provided reinforcements under the panels?

If you have plans of getting Front facing seats fitted along with Seat Belts (ELyR type), you can get 7/16" UNF size threads tapped on to the roll over bar at appropriate locations (otherwise the ELR will not work properly)



Looks like it is MIG welding. Can't see the filler rods also!

Spike

PS- Please use washers also if possible.
These are 2" seamless pipes , cold bending was done, a very good job done by the bender as there was no crumples on the pipe at all
The plates used are 5mm thick, one plate is on top and one is under the body and body is sandwiched inbetween.
Is there more reinforcements under the panels required ???

no front facing seats im going to get my bench seats cut and fited

Yup mig.

Yes washers with new nut bolts will go in once the paint job is done

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
I think he's using one plate on top and another under the body panel.Will the panel still need reinforcement?

Also is this the best way of installing a rollcage?Are there any more methods of installing a rollcage?
This is the best was hahaha well its sure is the easy way

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Yup for sure I will get it one day. Gun shot! for now this fella is serving the purpose with loads of happiness.
NICE

Last edited by mobike008 : 19th February 2011 at 09:52. Reason: Please STICK to 2 smiley per post rule.
davids4x4mm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2017, 16:15   #239
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 307
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: ex army MM550 in Bombay

Posting after a long long time... After a lot of deliberations of selling not selling I have decided to keep my 550 and get some changes done on her. First things first I have to get her registered in Pune then got some changes planned pics of where she stands right now
davids4x4mm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2017, 16:32   #240
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 307
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: ex army MM550 in Bombay

Reposting the pic as it dint upload the first time.
Attached Thumbnails
ex army MM550 in Bombay-img_20170203_125706.jpg  

davids4x4mm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wanted to get some info about an army spec Mahindra mm550 sabret00the SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 70 4th February 2016 22:47
MM550 Army 4x4 Jeeps 4x4addict 4x4 Vehicles 50 21st August 2014 14:57
Difference in Chassis Design of Army V/s Regular 4WD Mahindra MM550 offroad_maniac 4x4 Technical 28 13th July 2011 14:34
My MM550 XD Army Spec Ricky_3007 4x4 Vehicles 304 6th October 2010 17:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks