Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2013, 07:47   #511
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,201
Thanked: 821 Times
Exclamation Re: An impulsive buy- 1999 Mahindra Classic; Now Sold. Another project now in the off

I M H O Aluminium Chequered plates is the wrong choice for Interiors , except for floor or Luggage bays .

These are abrasive in nature ,meant to hold / grip your footwear sole ( where it becomes slippery )

I have seen people using it on door panels,and it has failed . Imagine a passenger's knee is resting against such door panel for a ride of say an hour & later he discovers that the panel has rubbed a hole in it ( Yes it has happened in an old Land Rover of a friend's )

It looks KOOL though

Anyways , dont you think that Dashboards in modern Jeeps like yours need to have cushioned surfaces ? Days of the hard dashboards are gone because of safety purposes . Padded & soft Dash will also be effective for insulation purposes ( AC )

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 10:39   #512
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,947
Thanked: 4,765 Times
Default Re: An impulsive buy- 1999 Mahindra Classic; Now Sold. Another project now in the off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
I M H O Aluminium Chequered plates is the wrong choice for Interiors , except for floor or Luggage bays .

These are abrasive in nature ,meant to hold / grip your footwear sole ( where it becomes slippery )

I have seen people using it on door panels,and it has failed . Imagine a passenger's knee is resting against such door panel for a ride of say an hour & later he discovers that the panel has rubbed a hole in it ( Yes it has happened in an old Land Rover of a friend's )

It looks KOOL though

Anyways , dont you think that Dashboards in modern Jeeps like yours need to have cushioned surfaces ? Days of the hard dashboards are gone because of safety purposes . Padded & soft Dash will also be effective for insulation purposes ( AC )

Sudarshan
Absolutely true. Allan who had the checkered plate as side cladding for this doors told me the same thing.

Therefore, we have used the checkered plate only at the top dash level where the knees are not touching. Everywhere else including doors we are using a smooth plate.

And yeah, it looks nice, therefore i thought we'd have it just here.
Want to use it as a daily drive and therefore added more creature comforts as well.

Other than having a foam and rexine cover, any other ideas to make the soft padding? Am worried about the foam rotting after a wash.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 10:49   #513
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,201
Thanked: 821 Times
Default Re: An impulsive buy- 1999 Mahindra Classic; Now Sold. Another project now in the off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post

Other than having a foam and rexine cover, any other ideas to make the soft padding? Am worried about the foam rotting after a wash.
Hmmnn , at basic DIY level like mine ? Nope no other Ideas yet .

But it does not rot that way unless the body is leaking or you are hosing the Dash ( that will be wrong for the electricals Too ) .

But such Workshop by your side to Aid you , just try the rexine + Foam combo for some time .

Since you are doing all the effort , why hard metal in front of passengers ?

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 15:05   #514
Senior - BHPian
 
svsantosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hosur
Posts: 3,308
Thanked: 1,252 Times
Default Re: An impulsive buy- 1999 Mahindra Classic; Now Sold. Another project now in the off

Hmm no one noticed!

Why two temp gauges? Is the voltmeter on the way?
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 15:35   #515
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,947
Thanked: 4,765 Times
Default Re: An impulsive buy- 1999 Mahindra Classic; Now Sold. Another project now in the off

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Hmm no one noticed!

Why two temp gauges? Is the voltmeter on the way?
Good Catch. Yes for voltmeter. These were just to check placement.

Considering an ampere meter as well.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 18:57   #516
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,201
Thanked: 821 Times
Default Re: An impulsive buy- 1999 Mahindra Classic; Now Sold. Another project now in the off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post

Considering an ampere meter as well.
If you come across any Amp meter that is around 150 amps & suitable for Auto use ( + & _ function in same dial ) please inform me .

Currently , the available meters in market are not of any use if the alternator is above 50 Amps capacity . ( AFAIK )

* Yes Volt meter is a good thing to show alternator malfunctions .

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 11:09   #517
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,947
Thanked: 4,765 Times
Default Re: An impulsive buy- 1999 Mahindra Classic; Now Sold. Another project now in the off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
If you come across any Amp meter that is around 150 amps & suitable for Auto use ( + & _ function in same dial ) please inform me .

Currently , the available meters in market are not of any use if the alternator is above 50 Amps capacity . ( AFAIK )

* Yes Volt meter is a good thing to show alternator malfunctions .

Sudarshan
Last i found was a pricol unit which was upto 80 if you are interested.

Also, isn't the ammeter an indicator of the charging functions and voltmeter for battery condition? I could be wrong, but that's what i always thought.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 13:39   #518
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,201
Thanked: 821 Times
Default Re: An impulsive buy- 1999 Mahindra Classic; Now Sold. Another project now in the off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Last i found was a pricol unit which was upto 80 if you are interested.
Hmmnn , the current unit I have is 125 amps output , so Nope ( for the vehicle at least , but will be good for other experiments ).

Also ( this is a afterthought of the previous post ) even if I get a larger Amp meter ,say a 150 one .It wont be much of use. Who is going to tackle the thick wires ( cables 50 sq mm ) needed for that kind of current , let alone the switch-gear needed for that . Fitting a volt meter is the practical thing above 50 amps operations , as it only needs a pair of normal wires, one of which is grounded at nearest spot .

Quote:
Also, isn't the ammeter an indicator of the charging functions and voltmeter for battery condition? I could be wrong, but that's what i always thought.
AFAIK ( there is much to add ) & in short Amp meter is useful in showing charge discharge figures , but volt meters can pinpoint the circuit health in volts . any downfall ( even upward beyond say 14 v ) & you need to be alert . But in Amp meter there is no certain way to check the battery condition .

Check about the rule of Voltage /wattage/amps ... I am less informed here as all I know has come from years of experience ( Better word is Dhakka Khana )

Watch the volt meter while cranking if it dips below 9 v you need to worry about the battery condition . The Amp meter does not give you 'that ' Information . This is the distinct advantage a volt meter has , as the starter wiring cannot be routed through the amp meter ( for that you will perhaps need a 400 Amp rating meter )

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 2nd April 2013 at 13:47.
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 20:11   #519
Senior - BHPian
 
svsantosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hosur
Posts: 3,308
Thanked: 1,252 Times
Default Re: An impulsive buy- 1999 Mahindra Classic; Now Sold. Another project now in the off

Doc

Dont waste time in the ammeter concept, too risky if it breaks down (and it will!)

Did you see my LCD voltmeter from china. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post3079234 (2000 Armada Grand 4WD)

Any # above 12V means battery is charging (over and above load like AC, lights, etc), if below 12V means battery is discharging PS - If its below 12V even in high RPMs and load (like AC) it means you are drawing over and above the ALT capacity.
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 21:31   #520
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,947
Thanked: 4,765 Times
Default Re: An impulsive buy- 1999 Mahindra Classic; Now Sold. Another project now in the off

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Doc

Dont waste time in the ammeter concept, too risky if it breaks down (and it will!)

Did you see my LCD voltmeter from china. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post3079234 (2000 Armada Grand 4WD)

Any # above 12V means battery is charging (over and above load like AC, lights, etc), if below 12V means battery is discharging PS - If its below 12V even in high RPMs and load (like AC) it means you are drawing over and above the ALT capacity.

Yup i considered the digital one. You even get a combined amp and voltmeter with a shunt that hopefully negates the need to run thicker cables. Frankly was not sure if the calibration would be right and ditched the idea.

I think i'll stick with the voltmeter and ditch the ammeter.

OT: i got the same inclinometer as yours. Just saw it in your pic.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 01:03   #521
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Madikeri
Posts: 121
Thanked: 86 Times
Default Re: An impulsive buy- 1999 Mahindra Classic; Now Sold. Another project now in the off

Tejas,

Good reading your thread for the third time again.Lots of inputs taken on the learning side. Would want to know couple of things, if its not too much of a hassle. Asking straight, since I see all the experts and stalwarts keepimg mum on some of the queries being asked or is Team-BHP missing some off-late. Anyways trying to learn the hard way.

1) With the lift that you have in your vehicle , how has it performed on road and offroad? What is your take from the mentioned mod?

2) What is the current status on your build ? Eagerly waiting to see the recent build and specs relating to the same and your feedback on this regard

Thanks and Regards

Last edited by jmvivek : 19th July 2013 at 01:04. Reason: typo
jmvivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2013, 18:08   #522
BHPian
 
Sabareesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ambarnath
Posts: 328
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: An impulsive buy- 1999 Mahindra Classic; Now Sold. Another project now in the off

Hi Tejas,

When do we get to see your new Jeep's thread. Its been pending for long.
Sabareesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2013, 23:53   #523
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,947
Thanked: 4,765 Times
Default Re: An impulsive buy- 1999 Mahindra Classic; Now Sold. Another project now in the off

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvivek View Post
Tejas,

Good reading your thread for the third time again.Lots of inputs taken on the learning side. Would want to know couple of things, if its not too much of a hassle. Asking straight, since I see all the experts and stalwarts keepimg mum on some of the queries being asked or is Team-BHP missing some off-late. Anyways trying to learn the hard way.

1) With the lift that you have in your vehicle , how has it performed on road and offroad? What is your take from the mentioned mod?

2) What is the current status on your build ? Eagerly waiting to see the recent build and specs relating to the same and your feedback on this regard

Thanks and Regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post
Hi Tejas,

When do we get to see your new Jeep's thread. Its been pending for long.
No issues on or off the road. Ofcourse, you must remember you are driving a lifted jeep and keep your expectations reasonable.

Current status is quo. Some other priorities have to be taken care of so the work is stopped as of now.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 19:46   #524
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,947
Thanked: 4,765 Times
Default Re: An impulsive buy- 1999 Mahindra Classic; Now Sold. Another project now in the off

My classic was at the Wayanad Thrills event. Was a pleasure to see her immaculately maintained and she performed very well as well. Also got a chance to drive her and was fun!

Photo Courtesy: eldho via FB.


An impulsive buy- 1999 Mahindra Classic; Now Sold. Another project now in the offing!-1441169_466712700106823_1744078920_n.jpg
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 08:24   #525
BHPian
 
genesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 764
Thanked: 288 Times
Default Re: An impulsive buy- 1999 Mahindra Classic; Now Sold. Another project now in the off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
My classic was at the Wayanad Thrills event. Was a pleasure to see her immaculately maintained and she performed very well as well. Also got a chance to drive her and was fun!

Photo Courtesy: eldho via FB.
Arreee. Can't be. I rode her in Gokak. Looks like I found the missing twin ...

Name:  IMG20131109012603.jpg
Views: 1288
Size:  105.6 KB
genesis is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold manveet 4x4 Vehicles 591 14th August 2017 18:18
Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched Aditya The Indian Car Scene 938 18th June 2015 22:53
EXO Mahape OTR- An Impulsive Outing At A Classic Location genesis 4x4 Excursions 34 2nd October 2010 13:53
Mahindra Classic (To Buy or Not to Buy) Abbas 4x4 Vehicles 26 31st December 2009 13:36


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks