Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 1st March 2010, 17:27   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post

Ceramics are not easily available.I am on the hunt for them and will change as soon as I can lay my hands on AUTOLITE ceramic holders for the gypsy
Also experts please enlighten me

I bought the complete set from an army vehicle.

From what I have read and talked to people who are using K&N's I have come to the conclusion that it improves FE and performance. I am not installing the headers as that really changes the exhaust and I do not want to do that at present. Reason being that we frequently go to Corbett NP and I wish to use my Gypsy there whenever I go.
Are the Lumax easily available and are you using them??? What is the difference in the price??
I plan to go in for the same shock but dont want to tinker around with the leafs!!!
For ceramics holder, you can try ROOTS. I am using it with 130/100 halogen.

Since you are planning to go for air filters. Try out Green cotton too. I feel that they are far better in terms of filteration. There are two types of filters. Wind and Storm.

If you are not going for a upgrade for a output above 100 bph, go for Wind.

If you are planning to upgrade your engine above 100 bhp, then go for the Storm.

It is better you try out Green before you zero out on K&N
tharakan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 17:56   #137
BHPian

Hey, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a couple of questions..

I have a stock 2005 Gypsy (it has an automech ffe, thats all), and I want to make the on road ride smoother. A little height would be more than welcome too.. How about if I were to change the shocks?
In an earlier post, Khan_Sultan suggested monroe gas filled shocks - are there any other options? Do longer shocks = increase in height as well?!

Thanks in advance!
ladak.imran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 18:14   #138
Senior - BHPian

@tharakan9
Thanks buddy for the reply. My Answers and further queries in BOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharakan9 View Post
For ceramics holder, you can try ROOTS. I am using it with 130/100 halogen.
Are the roots ceramic holders easy to fit in an MPFI vehicle setup. I mean are they bolt on or some changes are required???

Since you are planning to go for air filters. Try out Green cotton too. I feel that they are far better in terms of filteration. There are two types of filters. Wind and Storm.

If you are not going for a upgrade for a output above 100 bph, go for Wind.

If you are planning to upgrade your engine above 100 bhp, then go for the Storm.

It is better you try out Green before you zero out on K&N
Are you using green cotton in your vehicle? How much does it cost. I will try to find more about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladak.imran View Post

I have a stock 2005 Gypsy (it has an automech ffe, thats all), and I want to make the on road ride smoother. A little height would be more than welcome too.. How about if I were to change the shocks?
In an earlier post, Khan_Sultan suggested monroe gas filled shocks - are there any other options? Do longer shocks = increase in height as well?!

Thanks in advance!
@ladak.imran
I have no idea buddy, I am a total novice when it comes to technical knnowhow. however lift kits and suspension kits are available for the Gypsy to make the ride smoother, higher, etc. What are thee pro's and cons of each I am not sure. Experts will be able to comment
Cheers
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 22:27   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladak.imran View Post

Thanks in advance!

If you want to make your ride smoother, add a resistance free air intake. Try out the above mentioned air filters. If you just need just a little heght go for a tyre upgrade. The stock tyres for the gypsy are 205/70/15. Try 215/75/15
Old 1st March 2010, 22:43   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
@tharakan9
Thanks buddy for the reply. My Answers and further queries in BOLD

@ladak.imran
I have no idea buddy, I am a total novice when it comes to technical knnowhow. however lift kits and suspension kits are available for the Gypsy to make the ride smoother, higher, etc. What are thee pro's and cons of each I am not sure. Experts will be able to comment
Cheers
The roots ceramic holders are a easy fit. You dont have undergo any alterations to the holder. But since you are using a high power bulb, I would say that you need to add a four point relay and use a seprate wiring with a better gauge. By doing so, you wont have to disturb the original wiring. This is a good thing and i would say its a must for mpfi engines. Its always better not to alter the company wiring.

I have used both K&N and Greens. I did like the green better for my gypsy. I was using the wind. The cost of the filter was Rs. 4150 but just the filter was not enough. I had to buy the silicon tube and part of the dynamation kit.The total cost came up to 6300.

The price for the K&N was also around 6k or so. I dont remember the price exactly.
Old 2nd March 2010, 03:06   #141
BHPian

Thanks for the reply Tharakan and Harjeev..
I'm running BFG 215/75 - guess I shouldve mentioned that earlier!

Increasing the on-road ride comfort is not prime concern for me, but it would be a welcome change - I guess what I really want to know, is whether I can replace the shocks, with something that'll be better for my occassional (though increasingly regular) offroading, whilst simultaneously improving the on-road ride as well..

Later on in the year, I plan on installing rear CFLS as well..
ladak.imran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:14   #142
BHPian

My experience in Harjeev's gypsy was amazing,he drives pretty well,infact like a pro,the gypsy performed brilliantly as it does always,but i would like to request harjeev here to share the experience of being stranded in the middle of nowhere with no fuel in the gypsy,and got saved by his 5star rated thread on team bhp,.We got rescued by Mr.Harjeev's dashing personality which is pretty much in existance in remote areas too.Harjeev,do share the incident.
renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 20:31   #143
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys

Since long I wanted to get the feel of the gypsy without the rear seats, rear bars and the soft top.
So guess what. I had a little time on my hands today evening and removed the complete structure!!!
A couple of pics. Will take more tomorrow in the daytime and upload

Name:  IMG_2906.JPG
Views: 2155
Size:  97.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2907.JPG
Views: 2036
Size:  105.2 KB
Old 24th March 2010, 00:22   #144
Senior - BHPian

Looks much better with those parts removed. Any plans for a sealed front cabin?
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 00:28   #145
BHPian

NIce The more you strip a gypsy the better she looks. I think black rims would look better
davids4x4mm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 09:20   #146
BHPian

Looks great buddy.

Do share the Stranded experience would be interesting. Looking forward to more Pics and driving experience.

Cheers

Nishanth
hgnishanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 10:34   #147
Senior - BHPian

@bigman

Satnam the plan for a sealed cabin is surely on the cards but a little further down the line!!! But will definitely get it done sooner than later
Quote:
Originally Posted by davids4x4mm550 View Post
NIce The more you strip a gypsy the better she looks. I think black rims would look better
Thanks David
Yaar I want to keep it as stock as possible. If you remember I had the alloys earlier. So before selling it off I thought I might get them matt black power coated but decided against it.

@Nishanth
Not getting enough time these days as the year closing in the office is keeping me quite busy. But will definitely get down and jot the experience!!!
Old 15th May 2010, 16:13   #148
fk7
BHPian

For Sale???????

Why paaji, what happened??

firoz
fk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 16:47   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fk7 View Post
For Sale???????

Why paaji, what happened??

firoz
Dont get your knickers into a twist now. He said he is selling the alloys or the wheels or whatever. Not the gypsy.
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote