Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread

Old 7th January 2010, 12:14   #151
Senior - BHPian

Here is a link to the Thar and other Mahindra vehicles at the Auto Expo:

Mahindra at the Auto Expo 2010

Last edited by Dippy : 7th January 2010 at 12:45.
Old 7th January 2010, 12:21   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydriver84 View Post
Just a small confirmation needed: is the THAR coming in as a 4x4, coz when I checked out the display model at the expo, it was a 4x2 and no transfer case for the 4x4 as well.
Mr. Dhabhar has clarified it in the other thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...s-pg-16-a.html

See his reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM
I KNOW THAT YOU GUYS WANT A NO NONSENSE 4*4 AND NOTHING ELSE. YOU SHALL GET IT, AND GET IT SOONER THAN YOU THINK AND IT SHALL BE AFFORDABLE TOO. IT SHALL ALSO MEET CMVR.

Don't worry guys, stay cool, things shall happen ! Come to the Auto Expo, 3 days, starting tomorrow. I look forward to meeting all of you.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 7th January 2010, 12:25   #153
Senior - BHPian

The THAR looks essentially nice - far too much bling all over though and plastics.
since this appears to be the LHD export version they will certainly give it a lot more care in terms of quality - however, the 'watered-down' version that finally lands up here for us consumers, will probably have a lot of compromises made in it to meet the target price!

thats where all our Indian vehicle manufacturers seem to go wrong - by trying to push the vendors and suppliers to the brink of death in terms of price, compromise hugely on quality inputs, finish etc and cause alarm and consternation and disgust in the mind of the consumer!

They could easily dispense with a number of the non essential cosmetic bling things and instead concentrate on functionality, comfort, capability, quality and value instead.
Old 7th January 2010, 12:32   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The THAR looks essentially nice - far too much bling all over though and plastics.
since this appears to be the LHD export version they will certainly give it a lot more care in terms of quality - however, the 'watered-down' version that finally lands up here for us consumers, will probably have a lot of compromises made in it to meet the target price!

thats where all our Indian vehicle manufacturers seem to go wrong - by trying to push the vendors and suppliers to the brink of death in terms of price, compromise hugely on quality inputs, finish etc and cause alarm and consternation and disgust in the mind of the consumer!

They could easily dispense with a number of the non essential cosmetic bling things and instead concentrate on functionality, comfort, capability, quality and value instead.
Please read the last few pages of the below mentioned thread properly. Mr. Behram has clearly stated that this is a concept and not a production version and has categorically stated that the bling will not be there in the final product and requested to stop this debate and start talking only about technicals.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...s-pg-16-a.html
Old 7th January 2010, 13:11   #155
Team-BHP Support

Let's keep all the Mahindra Thar at Autoexpo discussion in one place, Thanks.

The Autoexpo discussion on Thar had already hit 11 pages of discussion before Team-BHP's onsite team could get to Mahindra stall. Says a lot about the frenzy we are having for this partially mythical vehicle.

Last edited by Samurai : 7th January 2010 at 13:49.
Old 7th January 2010, 13:38   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydriver84 View Post
Just a small confirmation needed: is the THAR coming in as a 4x4, coz when I checked out the display model at the expo, it was a 4x2 and no transfer case for the 4x4 as well.
Krazydriver: Just curious how you figured that the display model is 2WD? From the pictures posted, I can clearly see the 4x4 transfer case lever and the front differential.
Old 7th January 2010, 14:06   #157
Senior - BHPian

Default Why live axle was not opted

Behram sir,

One wish list which could not be honoured was live axle requirement upfront for off road use age. The reason i presumed was too large sump /engine to accomodate the bigger CRDe engine. But picture doesnt suggest that. The sump is way behind the front axle hosted by the cross member. And even if this had front live axle the maximum point of location wouldnot have been higher than where it is now.

So, was IFS given primarily for handling reasons than packaging reason?
Attached Images

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 7th January 2010 at 14:09.
Old 7th January 2010, 14:15   #158
DKG
Senior - BHPian

With much of that engine sitting behind the front axle you should have a very stable ride, ease of changing directions and over all better weight distribution
Old 7th January 2010, 14:18   #159
BHPian

Wow thats excellent news, Thanks a bunch Behram Sir and others.
Out goes my plans for buying a Scorpio this year and out would also go my SwifDy when Thar is in.

Yipppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
PS: Time to learn about 4x4s, now

Edit: Rating it 5 star for the confirmation from Behram Sir

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 7th January 2010 at 14:29.
Old 7th January 2010, 14:31   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Krazydriver: Just curious how you figured that the display model is 2WD? From the pictures posted, I can clearly see the 4x4 transfer case lever and the front differential.
Front shaft (yellow) 4X4 Transfer case (red)
Name:  4X4 transfercase  shaft.JPG
Views: 3730
Size:  86.9 KB
Front differential.(red)
Name:  front diff.JPG
Views: 5122
Size:  97.8 KB
Front differential (red) Front Shaft (yellow)
Name:  front diff and shaft.JPG
Views: 4705
Size:  80.2 KB
Old 7th January 2010, 14:36   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
The plastic wheel arches near the parking light, looks like its falling off.
Sadly they look very cheap. MM could have done a better job.
Old 7th January 2010, 14:41   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - thank you for all your very correct comments. So, now you have seen the vehicle at the Auto Expo. This is great. I will be at the stall next to my beloved project vehicle for 3 full days, starting tomorrow. Now, to clear some of your comments, I may like to mention as follows:
=======================
Don't worry guys, stay cool, things shall happen ! Come to the Auto Expo, 3 days, starting tomorrow. I look forward to meeting all of you.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Serious discussion here Sir, where do I send the money? for the vehicle. And a request Please keep the front end , the recessed lights look good.
Do we get Diff lock for front and rear option?
Would have loved to meet the man behind a dream JEEP [at least for me] after a failed attempt on a MM540 to convert to IFS and big engine.But work is getting over next week. So can do that, Hope we can meet some time later.

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th January 2010 at 18:44. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire large post for short reply, Thanks.
Old 7th January 2010, 16:00   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Behram sir,

One wish list which could not be honoured was live axle requirement upfront for off road use age.
So, was IFS given primarily for handling reasons than packaging reason?
As I've stated before, I agree with the IFS decision. Along with handling also comes active safety. From MMs point of view, rough road daily users will seriously outnumber true blue OTR enthusiasts. The OTR enthusiasts can now have a new pasttime: - how to rip out the IFS, and put in a live axle!

Anyone have any idea on the weight distribution?
And can anyone post the weights of the various Mahindra engines?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 7th January 2010, 16:10   #164
Senior - BHPian

Final clearing of any doubt about its 4X4 prowess. (red circle)
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-lever.jpg
Old 7th January 2010, 16:19   #165
Team-BHP Support

I saw somebody comment that IFS won't take as much abuse as the live axle setup. That may not be true. I put my Grand Vitara IFS suspension through lot more abuse than the Jeep, yet I have not seen any problem in two years.

I am happy to see stock skid plates under transfer case and diesel tank. But the sump is left unprotected.

Closed Thread