Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2010, 16:29   #526
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: in a Toyota!
Posts: 2,686
Thanked: 591 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
So does that mean its c-in-c up front till engine bay & then constant section box till the end. From the underbody pics it looks like so.

Below is the image that might suggest the same fact, as we can see a fish plate as marked. may be that is where the Scorpio's C-in-C chassi & Boleros Constant section Box chassi are welded together. If that is the case , then hope it will take all the beatings of offroading for years to come.

(Note: Again, it may not be the case, as that can be an extra plate welded just to support the body mount pt.?? More can be revealed in Bangalore event)
i would like to support the bold part of your reply.

here is another angle of the same fish plate welded on the Chassis. i dont see any joint in the chassis to make C in C!
Attached Images
 

Last edited by khan_sultan : 19th January 2010 at 20:54. Reason: fixed quotes
Parm is offline  
Old 19th January 2010, 17:59   #527
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 679 Times
Default fish plate???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
So does that mean its c-in-c up front till engine bay & then constant section box till the end. From the underbody pics it looks like so.

Below is the image that might suggest the same fact, as we can see a fish plate as marked. may be that is where the Scorpio's C-in-C chassi & Boleros Constant section Box chassi are welded together. If that is the case , then hope it will take all the beatings of offroading for years to come.

(Note: Again, it may not be the case, as that can be an extra plate welded just to support the body mount pt.?? More can be revealed in Bangalore event)
i would like to support the bold part of your reply.

here is another angle of the same fish plate welded on the Chassis. i dont see any joint in the chassis to make C in C!

Parm- what is a fish plate? what is its use?
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline  
Old 19th January 2010, 18:12   #528
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,491
Thanked: 6,768 Times
Default

I think fish plates as in railway track fish plate

I also dont think its a fish plate underneath, more like body mounts being incorporated as suggested earlier.
Jaggu is offline  
Old 19th January 2010, 18:26   #529
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: in a Toyota!
Posts: 2,686
Thanked: 591 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Parm- what is a fish plate? what is its use?
i just used the words which 'offroad maniac used to describe the welding joint!
Parm is offline  
Old 19th January 2010, 18:36   #530
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 679 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I think fish plates as in railway track fish plate

I also dont think its a fish plate underneath, more like body mounts being incorporated as suggested earlier.

Jaggu, I also think it is a body mounting bracket or something
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline  
Old 19th January 2010, 18:43   #531
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,947
Thanked: 4,765 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post

(Note: Again, it may not be the case, as that can be an extra plate welded just to support the body mount pt.??
If that's the case, why is the extra plate only welded to support the one marked by the square and not the one that i have circled?
Attached Images
 
Tejas@perioimpl is offline  
Old 19th January 2010, 19:00   #532
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 679 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
i just used the words which 'offroad maniac used to describe the welding joint!
A fish plate is a temporary joint (joined by mounting bolts which can be dismantled and removed) whereas a welding is a permanent joint which technically cannot be removed, only option to remove a welding joint is by cutting it apart
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline  
Old 19th January 2010, 19:31   #533
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,889
Thanked: 2,305 Times
Default

Just speculating but that is also the point where the torsion bar for the front suspension is hooked up to the chasis so maybe the additional strengthening is for the Torsion bar set up.

Looking at the under body pictures that engine oil sump scars me. It seems to be arching down to make contact with a rock. Wish they revise the design of the sump to make it protrude less.
4x4addict is offline  
Old 19th January 2010, 20:43   #534
BHPian
 
georgev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KL-05
Posts: 233
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

MM should launch as many versions and options on Thar to widen the market for it
georgev is offline  
Old 19th January 2010, 20:43   #535
BHPian
 
offroad_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Thane-Mumbai
Posts: 453
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
If that's the case, why is the extra plate only welded to support the one marked by the square and not the one that i have circled?
This is also a valid point.
Infact this area in below pic (by the looks of it) will be subjected to more stress under heavy load, vehicle jumping etc as there are more joints concentrated in small area.... there is no additional plate welded (something that we can see in Gypsys).

So the plate welded @ the front might be the Hybrid point between Scorpio & Bolero chassi as suggested earlier by fazalaliadil. & that engine oil sump surely needs some protection.

Anyhow, no worries ! As it will be more than capable than the initial anticipation as Thar has been thoroughly tested off the road by Mr. Behram himself, & that too I guess since july 2009? (I think that RHD, black, doorless Thar photo was taken during that period).

But its really long time, that there is no more hint or reply from Behram sir... it makes me wonder that next post will bring some good news regarding launch date.
Attached Images
 
offroad_maniac is offline  
Old 19th January 2010, 20:51   #536
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,491
Thanked: 6,768 Times
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
If that's the case, why is the extra plate only welded to support the one marked by the square and not the one that i have circled?
1) Smaller weld is aftermarket "rock slider" installation mostly done in a hurry to prepare the vehicle for "show"

2) To dissipate load better the body mount is a wider plate

3) Too much of tolerance variation in the primitive body shell and needs so much of space to stuck that darn bolt down!

But seriously guys do you think by "hybrid chassis" its as simple as welding 2 halves together fish in plate or not??! i personally DONT think so!

EDIT: Serious thought i think it might be something to do with torsion bar set up? Maybe even something to do with only this specimen also. My guess good as anybody elses

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th January 2010 at 20:53.
Jaggu is offline  
Old 19th January 2010, 21:08   #537
BHPian
 
offroad_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Thane-Mumbai
Posts: 453
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

Note: Again, please don't blast me for raising such stupid question, as I have no idea about Chassis strength & design. Its just some curious thoughts )
as I also dont know how Scorpio & Bolero chassis can be made into one Hybrid chassis (Both are different in construction).
Where as M&M already have a Striker chassis with IFS setup.

Edit: Ok. Now I remember that someone had posted earlier that, Striker Chassi cant be used as NEF CRDe Engine cant be fitted in it.

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 19th January 2010 at 21:22. Reason: Brain powered by Intel Core2Quattro :P
offroad_maniac is offline  
Old 19th January 2010, 21:16   #538
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kerala
Posts: 4,555
Thanked: 2,757 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
1) Smaller weld is aftermarket "rock slider" installation mostly done in a hurry to prepare the vehicle for "show"

2) To dissipate load better the body mount is a wider plate

3) Too much of tolerance variation in the primitive body shell and needs so much of space to stuck that darn bolt down!

But seriously guys do you think by "hybrid chassis" its as simple as welding 2 halves together fish in plate or not??! i personally DONT think so!

EDIT: Serious thought i think it might be something to do with torsion bar set up? Maybe even something to do with only this specimen also. My guess good as anybody elses
I agree. I don't think this is two halves welded together job, that's for local mechs. This ought to be a proper chassis built from scratch incorporating both Scorpio and Bolero subframe and suspension design and tid bits.

Jaggu if you look closely the torsion bar starts from near behind the chrome bar (rock slider) mount. So that extra re-inforcing can't have anything to do with torsion bar. If the plate is welded for load dissipation of the body then the body mount near the chrome bar mount is welded directly to the C section chassis without extra plate over the chassis rail.

When this hits the market... wish i could own one
Sankar is offline  
Old 19th January 2010, 21:18   #539
Senior - BHPian
 
fazalaliadil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 2,022
Thanked: 623 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
So does that mean its c-in-c up front till engine bay & then constant section box till the end. From the underbody pics it looks like so.
Below is the image that might suggest the same fact, as we can see a fish plate as marked. may be that is where the Scorpio's C-in-C chassi & Boleros Constant section Box chassi are welded together.
Note: Again, it may not be the case, as that can be an extra plate welded
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
i would like to support the bold part of your reply.
here is another angle of the same fish plate welded on the Chassis. i dont see any joint in the chassis to make C in C!
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
This is also a valid point.
Infact this area in below pic (by the looks of it) will be subjected to more stress under heavy load, vehicle jumping etc as there are more joints concentrated in small area.
So the plate welded @ the front might be the Hybrid point between Scorpio & Bolero chassi as suggested earlier by fazalaliadil. & that engine oil sump surely needs some protection.
Guys,
What I meant, hybrid of Scorpio and Bolero: A new chassis developed, and not one half of one and the other half of the other welded or integrated together. As you all are aware that the weakest point in the chassis would be at the welded area however strong the weld is and the jeep can snap into half under stress.
When a manufacturing major like Mahindra and brain like Mr. Behram are behind the R&D, do not expect welded chassis on this state of the art new generation THAR.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline  
Old 19th January 2010, 21:25   #540
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,491
Thanked: 6,768 Times
Default

@sankar: rear had 2 mounts front has only soooo! i was just!

we can all speculate, lets not get into that!!!

@M&M: where is the vehicle and when are you launching it at an affordable price!!!
Jaggu is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why I won't buy a Thar... booked Thar! desertfox 4x4 Vehicles 740 2nd April 2015 22:28
Taking the Thar to the 'Thar'. 2000 kms, 3 childhood friends & an epic roadtrip Vroom barabar! Travelogues 30 25th March 2013 18:42
Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2! GTO 4x4 Vehicles 668 5th January 2011 17:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks