Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2010, 17:17   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Hey Nishanth
Congrats on your acquisition. It surely looks like a god piece. BTW how did you manage to tow the vehicle as I think as the MM550 come with power brakes was it not difficult to apply the brakes when you had to stop the vehicle??? When I bought mine I had to tow it by a tow truck specifically for this reason!
Also whats the update on the engine starting!!!
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 03:16   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 307
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

Thats a good jeep you got there bro . All the best with your resto...
Get used to the words like " yeh nahi hai, Isko change kar diya delhi vale, isko chage karna padega lol

Thats what i have been going thru, good fun
davids4x4mm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 05:42   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 173
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Nice looking Jeep Bro, Congrats.
Keep us posted on all modification / restoration. I would like to know how and where you picked it up from?
Have fun,
GrayBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 06:47   #19
BHPian
 
hgnishanth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore / High SEAS
Posts: 186
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Thanks guys.

Update of works on 11th Jan:

Got the starter after servicing but the fuel filter borrowed from Roshan too had issues so the engine refused to start. Took the fuel filter to Sarvana Diesels and got it serviced. After fitting the serviced fuel filter the engine started. Kept the engine running for more than an hour in idle and then took it out for a spin.

Observations during the trial run.
1. Smoke from the exhaust and also from the valve/hose on top of the engine (dont know the technical name) Also oil coming out of the top valve of the engine.
2. Needed to rev the engine bit for taking small inclines.
3. Steering very hard.
4. Braking seems less.
5. Clutch seems ok.
6. Gear box seems ok and smooth
7. Transfer case, was able to shift it in all 4L, 4H and 2H shifting from 2H to 4H and then to 4L was with great difficulty
8. Suspension needs overhauling.

Conclusions/ Repairs to be done:
1,2&3: Piston rings weak. Back compression, so white smoke and little oil spray from the top valve. Need to change piston rings. Tomorrow when the engine is opened will know if sleeve needs to be changed.
4: Check Master brake cylinder for proper functioning and complete braking system overhaul
5: Looks like clutch is ok but will get it inspected all the same.
6: Gearbox, just change the oil. rest all ok.
7: Minor work required in the transfer case lever for smooth shifting. Oil change.
8. Complete suspension overhaul and change required parts.
9. Radiator overhauling.

Other than this electrical s, changing of minor things like beadings, door handles, indicators, rear tail lamp etc and complete repainting.
Other changes planned are changing the rear tail gate to New post 2000 army type with extra bar for taking the spare wheel/tyre weight. Present door has a slight crack. Harjees kindly has offered to help me out in sourcing one and send it to bangalore. And also planning on 15x8j wheels.

About costings still need to confirm with Viji. Most of the time when all the Jeep acquisition works were happening I was on board, so basically he handled everything. This was picked from Pune auction.

Cheers

Nishanth

Last edited by hgnishanth : 12th January 2010 at 06:56.
hgnishanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 09:39   #20
BHPian
 
hgnishanth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore / High SEAS
Posts: 186
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey Nishanth
Congrats on your acquisition. It surely looks like a god piece. BTW how did you manage to tow the vehicle as I think as the MM550 come with power brakes was it not difficult to apply the brakes when you had to stop the vehicle??? When I bought mine I had to tow it by a tow truck specifically for this reason!
Also whats the update on the engine starting!!!
Harjeev

Have just mailed to the parts list. Thanks.

About towing yes even though this has power brakes the brakes were working just about enough to stop the vehicle. So we were towing it very slowly. The distance the jeep had to be towed was also not much.

cheers

Nishanth
hgnishanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 08:54   #21
BHPian
 
hgnishanth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore / High SEAS
Posts: 186
Thanked: 4 Times
Default WIP Update

Latest Update

The engine has been completely dismantled and sent to lathe for re boring.
Also replacing 4 pistons, piston rings, Con rod bearings, Main bearing and Cam rod. Head also sent for pressure testing.
Fuel pump given for servicing along with fuel nozzles.

Brakes removed. All brake pads front and back to be replaced. Brake discs to be sent to lathe. Rear drums also will be sent to lathe. Rear brake pads will be replaced with one over size. King pin bearings and wheel bearings will be replaced. Front RH King pin housing will be replaced.

Replacing clutch plate and pressure plate.

Body has been stripped of all accessories. Dents removal and body putty application in progress.

Some of you wanted to know about the costings. Like I had told earlier as everything was handled by Viji and Roshan i dont have the breakup of the jeep cost, transport, taxes, bribes etc etc.. but in total i paid 1.7 lakh to Viji for the Jeep.

Here are some of the WIP pics.

Cheers

Nishanth
Attached Thumbnails
It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1120624.jpg  

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1120630.jpg  

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1120632.jpg  

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1120634.jpg  

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1120635.jpg  

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1120637.jpg  

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1120638.jpg  

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1120640.jpg  

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1130644.jpg  

It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1130645.jpg  

hgnishanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 10:48   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
joshguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,358
Thanked: 88 Times
Default

Hi Nishant

You are yet to reveal the cost to us.

How much did you buy it for?
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 10:59   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnishanth View Post
Some of you wanted to know about the costings. Like I had told earlier as everything was handled by Viji and Roshan i dont have the breakup of the jeep cost, transport, taxes, bribes etc etc.. but in total i paid 1.7 lakh to Viji for the Jeep.

Nishanth
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi Nishant

You are yet to reveal the cost to us.

How much did you buy it for?
He just did!!!

1.70Lacs!!!
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 12:13   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 173
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

What would be the mileage on army disposal Jeeps?
GrayBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 13:40   #25
BHPian
 
Ricky_3007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 381
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnishanth View Post
Latest Update

The engine has been completely dismantled and sent to lathe for re boring.
Also replacing 4 pistons, piston rings, Con rod bearings, Main bearing and Cam rod. Head also sent for pressure testing.
Fuel pump given for servicing along with fuel nozzles.

Brakes removed. All brake pads front and back to be replaced. Brake discs to be sent to lathe. Rear drums also will be sent to lathe. Rear brake pads will be replaced with one over size. King pin bearings and wheel bearings will be replaced. Front RH King pin housing will be replaced.

Replacing clutch plate and pressure plate.

Body has been stripped of all accessories. Dents removal and body putty application in progress.

Some of you wanted to know about the costings. Like I had told earlier as everything was handled by Viji and Roshan i dont have the breakup of the jeep cost, transport, taxes, bribes etc etc.. but in total i paid 1.7 lakh to Viji for the Jeep.

Here are some of the WIP pics.

Cheers

Nishanth


Hi Nishanth,

Congrats on your Jeep and All the very best for restoration...

Hey, whats this on your dash board near special swith? I have circled it.

Tarkesh
Attached Thumbnails
It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p11206341.jpg  

Ricky_3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 14:11   #26
BHPian
 
JeepCaptain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dubai / Gods Own Country -Kerala
Posts: 864
Thanked: 468 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnishanth View Post
And also planning on 15x8j wheels.
Nishanth
Nishanth, I can see that you are progressing well with the restoration. Keep the updates and pics coming.

BTW - which model year is your 550?

Regarding your plan for 15 x 8J tyres. I personally dont recommend it if you want to do regular offroading. 15x8j wheels are lighter but reduces the GC compared to stock 550 wheels and tyres.

I was there for an OTR in kerala last month and we had a MM550 in our group with 15x8J wheels and 225 tyres IIRC and was getting stuck even at the easiest trail or obstacles.

If you really want to go with 15x8J wheels go for 265 or bigger size tyres on them.
Shibu
JeepCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 20:23   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

@Tarkesh
I think the button should either be the starter but most likely I think that it can be the horn too!!! But on other thoughts it may be anything fogs, cabin light switch

@Shibu
You are right. 275/75/R16's are equal to 31" height. but 265/75/R15's come to 30.64 inches which still ok.
Where are o 235's are way to short for off roading.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 20:31   #28
BHPian
 
crazyjeeperk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: cuddalore
Posts: 115
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Hey, whats this on your dash board near special swith? I have circled it.
It may also be a trip switch for high and low(head light), form your picture i find the head light switch is missing below the steering. kindly forgive me if i am wrong!
crazyjeeperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 02:50   #29
BHPian
 
hgnishanth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore / High SEAS
Posts: 186
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi Nishant

You are yet to reveal the cost to us.

How much did you buy it for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
He just did!!!

1.70Lacs!!!
Hi JoshGuy as Harjeev pointed it out I Paid 1.7 Lacks to Viji for the jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Hi Nishanth,

Congrats on your Jeep and All the very best for restoration...

Hey, whats this on your dash board near special swith? I have circled it.

Tarkesh
Thanks Tarkesh, I have been following your thread too and was an inspiration to me. So did you change your soft top yet? To be honest i still havent figured out what switch is it. But FYI the switch is spring loaded so can be heater switch??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
Nishanth, I can see that you are progressing well with the restoration. Keep the updates and pics coming.

BTW - which model year is your 550?

Regarding your plan for 15 x 8J tyres. I personally dont recommend it if you want to do regular offroading. 15x8j wheels are lighter but reduces the GC compared to stock 550 wheels and tyres.

I was there for an OTR in kerala last month and we had a MM550 in our group with 15x8J wheels and 225 tyres IIRC and was getting stuck even at the easiest trail or obstacles.

If you really want to go with 15x8J wheels go for 265 or bigger size tyres on them.
Shibu
Yeh i agree with you Shibu. I am planning on maintaining 31" dia of the army tires. So i am planning on 31-10.5/15" Yoko Geolanders. BTW my jeep 1999 model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
@Tarkesh
I think the button should either be the starter but most likely I think that it can be the horn too!!! But on other thoughts it may be anything fogs, cabin light switch

@Shibu
You are right. 275/75/R16's are equal to 31" height. but 265/75/R15's come to 30.64 inches which still ok.
Where are o 235's are way to short for off roading.
Harjeev as i had mentioned on the phone to you planning on 31-10.5/15 Yoko geolanders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeeperk View Post
It may also be a trip switch for high and low(head light), form your picture i find the head light switch is missing below the steering. kindly forgive me if i am wrong!
You mean the right hand side combination switch right? No its not missing. In the pic just covered up by the steering wheel.

More updates and pics tomorrow.

Cheers

Nishanth
hgnishanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 04:20   #30
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 173
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBerry View Post
Nice looking Jeep Bro, Congrats.
Keep us posted on all modification / restoration. I would like to know how and where you picked it up from?
Have fun,
hgnishanth & harjeev
Usually at what mileage does army auction these Jeeps??
GrayBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wanted to get some info about an army spec Mahindra mm550 sabret00the SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 70 4th February 2016 22:47
My MM550 Army Spec Restoration Project papaboost 4x4 Vehicles 31 18th September 2013 22:01
Project MM550 Xd Army Spec jeepsan 4x4 Vehicles 38 22nd March 2013 16:09
My MM550 XD Army Spec Ricky_3007 4x4 Vehicles 304 6th October 2010 17:05
My Army Spec "Demon Gypsy": Project Complete KSM-Vtec 4x4 Vehicles 204 22nd March 2010 12:00


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks