Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 10th January 2010, 08:56   #1
BHPian

Default It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE

The "Jeep" 4x4 and offroad bug has been catching up very fast now a days and had caught up with me as well since last few months.

It all started first when my cousin Chandan got his green gypsy last year and we went for a short OTR just on the approach road to his farm in sakleshpur. In a few weeks after this i think in Aug last year i went for my 1st OTR with TBHP frinds. Within a few months another cousin of mine Roshan bought a mm540 and i went for few more OTRs with him as well. By this time the "Jeep"/OTR bug had REALLY caught up with me full time and i had decided to pick up a 4x4. "Jeep" was the obvious choice for me. Initially decided to buy a mm540 but Roshan by then told me "Before you decide which vechile, just read a couple of army 550 restoration threads", and then it strated. Reading these restoration stories I was hooked. Big time hooked to MM550 army spec. I started my search of the 550 with a lot of help from Roshan. Contacted Harjeev in Delhi who was also very helpful and the original plan was to fly down to delhi along with Roshan and Vijay (Star_Aqua) and pick up a 550. But in between when i was on bord my last ship to cut a long story short lot of things happned and in the end it was the other Vijay (Swastikviji) and Roshan who helped me in getting my very own MM550 Army spec.

The first look at my jeep on the 8th Jan late night. Pictures below.
It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1080627.jpg
It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1080626.jpg
It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1080625.jpg
It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1080622.jpg

09th jan : Today we (Roshan n I) landed up at the Jeep in the morning. Met up with Viji, Shanawaz and Ajay(Gypsy Boy) there
First Daylight pictures.
It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1090629.jpg
It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1090630.jpg
It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1090631.jpg
It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1090632.jpg
It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1090633.jpg

And then we had to tow it to my garage in Banashankari from the unloading place. We towed it with Roshan's 540 with Ajay trailing behind.
The towing pictures.
It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1090634.jpg
It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1090637.jpg
It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1090639.jpg
It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1090641.jpg
It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1090642.jpg
It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1090645.jpg
It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1090649.jpg
It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1090650.jpg

The first task after getting the jeep at the workshop was to try and start the engine. Upon initial inspection found
1. Starter motor defective: Given for service, will receive monday morning.
2. Fuel filter not working : Changed with spare, which roshan had.
3. Glow plugs not working : Changed with new 4 plugs.
It's a 'Jeep' Thing!" - Army Spec MM550 - Restoration in Bangalore - PHASE 1 COMPLETE-p1090654.jpg

On monday we will try to start the engine move it around in the garage and decide what all other works are needed.

Cheers
Nishanth
hgnishanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 09:33   #2
Team-BHP Support

Nishanth, All the best :-) Was fun at the workshop yesterday and am sure after restoration this will come out very good and a capable machine.

Cheers.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 09:42   #3
BANNED

Congrats nishanth on your prized ex army 550.

also congrats on being JEEPED!

what kind of restoration you have in mind? any inspiration from THAR?
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 10:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Well congrats on ur buy man. Could you tell us how much the costs were the buy and transportation part?

Well after a long time we come up wit a restoration thread as the thar had made the steam cool for a bit
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 10:43   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the jeep nishant. It looks to be in waay better condition than most of the recent army disposals i've seen. if you don't mind, can u pls share how much u got it for?
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 11:01   #6
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Nishanth, don't remember seeing an army disposal in such good condition.

I thought Army MM550s had FFRA, this one doesn't.

Last edited by Samurai : 10th January 2010 at 11:02.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 12:36   #7
BHPian

Congrats on your new acquisition, Nishanth! I have never seen an army disposal in such good condition. The body lines seem better than the jeeps we get in the used car market here!

OT: which Co. are you sailing with?
james is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 13:18   #8
BHPian

Nishanth,
Congrats on your new priced possesion and welcome to the club!

Thats one clean looking 550 you have got. Overall it looks in very good condtion and that means less money and time for restoration!
Shibu
JeepCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 16:10   #9
BHPian

@hgnishanth : Congratulations for this nice acquisition and I think the project will keep you busy in next days. Hope you enjoy the restoration.

I have a query regarding the RTO registration in Bangalore. Is it a straightforward thing or involves a lot of headache ?

Thanks,
Ravindra
Ravindra M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 19:00   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Nishanth, All the best :-) Was fun at the workshop yesterday and am sure after restoration this will come out very good and a capable machine.

Cheers.
Thanks Shanawaz. Looking forward for any tips and guidance from a very experinced offroader like yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Congrats nishanth on your prized ex army 550.

also congrats on being JEEPED!

what kind of restoration you have in mind? any inspiration from THAR?
Thanks Parm. Yes I do have quite a plan for restoration but all in good time. At present focus is on getting the vechile in running condition and getting it regestered. Then slowly i can get the modsi have planned done one by one. I am planning on making the roll cage on the lines of the Thar but later in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Well congrats on ur buy man. Could you tell us how much the costs were the buy and transportation part?

Well after a long time we come up wit a restoration thread as the thar had made the steam cool for a bit
Thanks, Yeh even i have been following almost all the restorations here. Its been quite some time. About the costings i was not around in bangalore till the Jeep reached here. Viji has helped me in this. I myself dont know the exact costings yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Congrats Nishanth, don't remember seeing an army disposal in such good condition.

I thought Army MM550s had FFRA, this one doesn't.
Thanks Sharath. Sorry but i do not know what is FFRA? Can you please expand and let me know what it actually is and what is it used for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Congrats on your new acquisition, Nishanth! I have never seen an army disposal in such good condition. The body lines seem better than the jeeps we get in the used car market here!

OT: which Co. are you sailing with?
Thanks James.
OT: Was sailing with Wallem HKG, Currently in offshore with Greatship(India) Ltd.
Are you also in the MN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
Nishanth,
Congrats on your new priced possesion and welcome to the club!

Thats one clean looking 550 you have got. Overall it looks in very good condtion and that means less money and time for restoration!
Shibu
Thanks Shibu. Your restoration threads has also been quite an insperation for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
@hgnishanth : Congratulations for this nice acquisition and I think the project will keep you busy in next days. Hope you enjoy the restoration.

I have a query regarding the RTO registration in Bangalore. Is it a straightforward thing or involves a lot of headache ?

Thanks,
Ravindra
Thanks Ravindra. Not much Idea about regestration yet. Will let you know in due course.

Cheers

Nishanth

Last edited by hgnishanth : 10th January 2010 at 19:03.
Old 10th January 2010, 19:11   #11
Team-BHP Support

FFRA = Full Floating Rear Axle.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 21:39   #12
BHPian

Thanks. As far as I know the Army 550 comes with Semi floating rear axles.

Cheers

Nishanth
Old 10th January 2010, 23:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

Body tub looks in good condition. Hope it starts up OK tomorrow.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 08:01   #14
BHPian

Congrats Amigo from all of us here in Mexico ! Jolly good and wish u fun times in the restoration!
plimsollmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 11:10   #15
BHPian

keep it coming, nice jeep. Look forward to more info.
Prithvi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote