Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 17th January 2010, 12:34   #16

@jyobeb , @Blue Thunder @beejay, @Ashley Nair @SPIKE ARRESTOR @Samurai, @crazyjeeperk, @cool_dube, @harjeev, @TheARUN

Thanks for your comments.

Hi, I had a talk with another mechanic yesterday and he told me it was not a classic. I paid 1.25 L for it. The car right now is in the Mechanic’s garage as I had to get a new steering and the engine work done.

It is not a 4X4 for sure. But I was wondering should I get it converted to a 4X4 ? Also, should I retain the Imposter classic look to it or should I retain the CJ340 look?

I don’t plan to do any serious offloading. The roads in Ahmedabad were dug up a lot last year so no need to go off-road. However, that’s changing now.

I don't have any engine pics, but heres a pic from front and side.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th January 2010 at 21:15. Reason: External hosting of images are not allowed, please go through Announcement section, Thanks
Ab3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 20:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

COngrats on the purchase

My comments to your queries in BOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab3d View Post
@jyobeb , @Blue Thunder @beejay, @Ashley Nair @SPIKE ARRESTOR @Samurai, @crazyjeeperk, @cool_dube, @harjeev, @TheARUN

Hi, I had a talk with another mechanic yesterday and he told me it was not a classic. I paid 1.25 L for it. The car right now is in the Mechanicís garage as I had to get a new steering and the engine work done.
1.25 lacs is not a bad price, in my opinion. Maybe a little on the higher side, but hey some people have paid way more...
It is not a 4X4 for sure. But I was wondering should I get it converted to a 4X4 ?
Very Easy

Also, should I retain the Imposter classic look to it or should I retain the CJ340 look?
Totally your choice.

I donít plan to do any serious offloading. The roads in Ahmedabad were dug up a lot last year so no need to go off-road. However, thatís changing now.
If you do not plan to do any off-roading then why do you want the 4x4, just asking.
If still you plonk in the 4x4 you would need a transfer case along with the front differentials etc. Please also take some pictures of the engine bay as if the gear box and the engine is a Mahindra then its quite easy, but if the engine is changed then you would have to find the 4x4 transfercase that matched with the very gearbox you have in your vehicle.
What engine does this vehicle have???

harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 23:56   #18
BHPian

Quote:

Hi, I had a talk with another mechanic yesterday and he told me it was not a classic. I paid 1.25 L for it. The car right now is in the Mechanicís garage as I had to get a new steering and the engine work done.
It is not a 4X4 for sure. But I was wondering should I get it converted to a 4X4 ? Also, should I retain the Imposter classic look to it or should I retain the CJ340 look?
I donít plan to do any serious offroading. The roads in Ahmedabad were dug up a lot last year so no need to go off-road. However, thatís changing now.

1.The cost u offered is not too high but not a cheap buy! The money you spent is to full fill your desire so be happy on your dream coming true.If u spend a 50k-1L(depends) you will get a stock condition jeep!

2.Do what your heart says and not your mind.
crazyjeeperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 14:52   #19

I am not sure what my heart wants. I donít want a classic impostor for sure. I noticed quite a few CJ340s in this forum and they all look good. Will probably try to follow that style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Whether it is a classic or not, this jeep definitely needs some love and care. The previous owners had absolutely no taste or very good taste :-)..
@4x4addict -I do agree this jeep needs lots and lots of love. The previous owner it seems abused it like hell. (Hence the weird graphics and the look of jeep). There should be a law against jeep abusers more like SPCA Ė SPCJ Ė Society for prevention of cruelty against jeeps.

@ TheARUN - I like the idea for wheels. Any other idea for wheels which might look good. I like the wheels for MM440 (kandisa's Jeep)

@harjeev - Thanks for your comment.
It has a Inter petrol engine which was switched to a diesel engine. I am posting some pics of the engine. I am posting some pics of the engine.
finally bought a (rusty)mahindra classic-img_0309.jpg
finally bought a (rusty)mahindra classic-img_0310.jpg
finally bought a (rusty)mahindra classic-img_0311.jpg
finally bought a (rusty)mahindra classic-img_0312.jpg

I had a talk with the mechanic and the cost for changing the 2X2 to a 4X4 would be around 30K. Thatís lot considering I still will have to spend around 50-60K for the jeep cleaning, engine restoration (I am sorry for the layman terms), new paint job, seats and wheels.

I am not sure regarding the dashboard. I love the classic dashboard but am not sure if it look good inside this jeep.

I donít dig the 3bars on top of the jeep near the windshield but the mechanic says they are needed otherwise the windshield will vibrate when the car is driving.
finally bought a (rusty)mahindra classic-jeepside.jpg
Old 20th January 2010, 16:32   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure what my heart wants. I donít want a classic impostor for sure. I noticed quite a few CJ340s in this forum and they all look good. Will probably try to follow that style.

@4x4addict -I do agree this jeep needs lots and lots of love. The previous owner it seems abused it like hell. (Hence the weird graphics and the look of jeep). There should be a law against jeep abusers more like SPCA Ė SPCJ Ė Society for prevention of cruelty against jeeps.

@ TheARUN - I like the idea for wheels. Any other idea for wheels which might look good. I like the wheels for MM440 (kandisa's Jeep)

@harjeev - Thanks for your comment.
It has a Inter petrol engine which was switched to a diesel engine. I am posting some pics of the engine. I am posting some pics of the engine.
Attachment 268908
Attachment 268909
Attachment 268911
Attachment 268912

I had a talk with the mechanic and the cost for changing the 2X2 to a 4X4 would be around 30K. Thatís lot considering I still will have to spend around 50-60K for the jeep cleaning, engine restoration (I am sorry for the layman terms), new paint job, seats and wheels.

I am not sure regarding the dashboard. I love the classic dashboard but am not sure if it look good inside this jeep.

I donít dig the 3bars on top of the jeep near the windshield but the mechanic says they are needed otherwise the windshield will vibrate when the car is driving.
Attachment 268913
Parishram it says on the back door.
But thats exactly what you'd need to get it back in shape.
Plenty of Parishram and patience. But best of luck.
And also do enlighten me who restores your beast in Ahmedbad.
nairanupg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 19:12   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairanupg View Post
Parishram it says on the back door.
But thats exactly what you'd need to get it back in shape.
Plenty of Parishram and patience. But best of luck.
And also do enlighten me who restores your beast in Ahmedbad.
Hi Nairanupg, It is indeed taking a lot of Parisham to get this baby back in shape.

Ahmedabad is no Mayapuri, Rajasthan or kerala and there aren't many jeepers in Ahmedabad.(Correct me if I am wrong).

I don't know of any expert jeep mechanics here in Ahmedabad but am getting it done by a mechanic near NID, Paldi. He is not a jeep expert but he is old school and I think he knows what he is doing.

The car as some may say is Khicdi. Finally had a look at the registration papers and found the chassis dated way back in 1975. The car is made to look like a classic but is not. The car has Bhavnagar passing and the passing is around 1985ish.

Right now am getting all the mechanics cleaned up. I will let it be a 2X2 for now, and once I have some decent cash, will switch it to a 4 X 4.
Old 25th January 2010, 22:11   #22
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 268913
Hello

In my opinion if you are not blindly in love with this Jeep you should get rid of it and search for a better piece. you will get lot more decent CJ340s or probably a classic itself if you look at the right place at the right time. It is not easy to bring this baby back to life and you will need a lot of patience and parishram as others mentioned and you will need a steady supply of Vitamin M . Believe me it will drain you out. I am telling you out of experience . Yes you will get the kick of giving rebirth to a old machine but ask yourself if you want to do it.

If you still want to do it please go ahead and do it in the right way and restore her to the stock condition. It is an exhilarating experience and you will love it.

Babu
Baburajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 23:51   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Nairanupg, It is indeed taking a lot of Parisham to get this baby back in shape.

Ahmedabad is no Mayapuri, Rajasthan or kerala and there aren't many jeepers in Ahmedabad.(Correct me if I am wrong).

I don't know of any expert jeep mechanics here in Ahmedabad but am getting it done by a mechanic near NID, Paldi. He is not a jeep expert but he is old school and I think he knows what he is doing.

The car as some may say is Khicdi. Finally had a look at the registration papers and found the chassis dated way back in 1975. The car is made to look like a classic but is not. The car has Bhavnagar passing and the passing is around 1985ish.

Right now am getting all the mechanics cleaned up. I will let it be a 2X2 for now, and once I have some decent cash, will switch it to a 4 X 4.
Hi guys if this jeep was registered in 1975 and had a petrol engine i think that this could well be a CJ3b right hand drive version which was lanched by Mahindra after the Willys. Correct me if i am wrong guys but if i am right Ab3d you have found yourself a sheep in ? or should i say wolf in sheep's clothing. Hey Ab3d if its a cj3b just restore it to its old glory you will love and get respect for it than converting it to look alike classic. One more thing convert it to 4x4 you will never regret, do it in stage 2 if its not fitting in your budget right now. All the best for your restoration.
whicked wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 00:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

it is probably a mahindra (willys) CJ3B, @ Ab3d, restore her back to original form. it's easy to get a petrol engine.

this will help- The CJ3B Page
amit V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010, 13:09   #25

Hi,

I have been occupied with work and with the jeep "restoration" so could not post earlier.

@Baburajs - I am not blindly in love with her but I do love her. I totally agree that apart from Parishram, I will also need a steady supply of Vitamin M to bring this baby to her past glory. Parishram without Vitamin M is futile.

@ whicked wheels : Thanks for your comment. I donít know if itís a sheep or a wolf.

@ amit V8 Ė I will definitely consider your proposal. Thanks for the link.

Right now, the only thing that remotely relates to 1975 is the Chassis. Rest everything (read everything) is a mix and may or may not belong to the original body. I do feel it would be much better to get an original (even though totally rusted) 1975 CJB and restore her to her original glory.

At present, I don't intend to change the mechanical's or the engine. The engine is working OK so will leave it as it is for now.

Below are some pictures of the jeep work in progress.
The engine has been painted an all pipes fitted are brand new. New lights on the front and rear. Waiting for the seats.

Taken with Iphone: Sorry for the poor quality
finally bought a (rusty)mahindra classic-img_0345.jpg
finally bought a (rusty)mahindra classic-img_0346.jpg

Taken with my camera:
finally bought a (rusty)mahindra classic-pix-014.jpg
finally bought a (rusty)mahindra classic-pix-018.jpg
finally bought a (rusty)mahindra classic-pix-021.jpg
finally bought a (rusty)mahindra classic-pix-023.jpg

This is the reference I have tried to recreate:

Dashboard
I have tried to recreate the original style but have opted for the ignition key near the steering wheel.
Dashboard Reference:
finally bought a (rusty)mahindra classic-dashboard.jpg

Steering Wheel
For the steering wheel, I am opting for a standard Mahindra steering wheel as compared to the original one. I had a talk with the mechanic and a couple of other ppl as well and the original petrol steering wheel might be a bit hard getting used to.

Front headlights and sidelights:
I am opting for the same guard as the classic.

Windshield
In the original jeep, the window actually opens while in mine it does not. I am having a hard time finding the original at the moment so will change it once I find it.
Original Windshield:
finally bought a (rusty)mahindra classic-cjb_dkg_11.jpg

JEEP symbol
The jeep symbol on the front and the rear will be embossed later on. You have to buy the actual piece and again I can't seem to find it right now. Will change it later once I find it.
Original Symbol:
finally bought a (rusty)mahindra classic-1967_cjb_01.jpg

4X4

I will be doing the conversion from 2X2 to a manly 4X4 later on. Once the moolah starts coming in.

Seats:
Will be using the same seats in the original but getting them redone completely.New fabric, new dunlop.

Tires:
Still deciding.

Paint:
Already painted Matte Black.

Accessories remaining:
-rear view mirrors
-fog lights
-additional headlights
-rear tail hook
-etc

Thanks again,

Abhinav