Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 18th May 2010, 19:51   #91
Team-BHP Support

Have you checked if the body of the ECM itself acts as the earthing point? If so a proper grounding is what is required. Am not sure. Again what do you mean to give fuel? Fuel is coming from fuel pump inside the tank, without earth the ECM will not work at all.

As far as repairing ECM, best to stay away unless you have a very good expert and if its working fine otherwise.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 22:46   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Have you checked if the body of the ECM itself acts as the earthing point? If so a proper grounding is what is required. Am not sure. Again what do you mean to give fuel? Fuel is coming from fuel pump inside the tank, without earth the ECM will not work at all.

As far as repairing ECM, best to stay away unless you have a very good expert and if its working fine otherwise.
The electrician at MSM told me that EC gives power to fuel relay, which in turn injects fuel into the engine. In my ECM, it doesn't have ground current, which the electrician have provided from body. But I am not happy with this arrangement and want a permanent solution.

He too have offered to get it done from an outside source, but I'll prefer to get it some expert. I came across this link while searching - ECM Repair-: The Car Engineers. Mr. Shaan Ansari sounds like an expert; somebody @ tbhp too have recommended him. I will go to him this week-end discuss this issue with him.

I too am not very keen on repairing it, but a new one costs 17K; and repair will cost about 2K. Big difference, especially I have spent almost double of what I initially had in mind on the Gypsy :-)

Nitin
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 23:03   #93
Team-BHP Support

My understanding though am not an expert, ground is usually from the body or earth (which is common and might not run all over the wiring loom) and power is controlled by the ECU, so my guess the fuel pump relay wiring is not proper from the ECU. Most likely the electrician has tapped this positive lead from one of the other terminals and connected it to the relay, to power it ON, once the ignition is switched ON.

I guess the link you have posted is the best bet at this point of time.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 10:02   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
The electrician at MSM told me that EC gives power to fuel relay, which in turn injects fuel into the engine. In my ECM, it doesn't have ground current, which the electrician have provided from body. But I am not happy with this arrangement and want a permanent solution.

He too have offered to get it done from an outside source, but I'll prefer to get it some expert. I came across this link while searching - ECM Repair-: The Car Engineers. Mr. Shaan Ansari sounds like an expert; somebody @ tbhp too have recommended him. I will go to him this week-end discuss this issue with him.

I too am not very keen on repairing it, but a new one costs 17K; and repair will cost about 2K. Big difference, especially I have spent almost double of what I initially had in mind on the Gypsy :-)

Nitin
sorry for the noob question but how different is an esteem ECU from a Gypsy ECU, as per my understanding since the engine is same the ECU should be the same the only issue would be the maps, if that is so getting a good ecu in scrap would not be a problem as there are plenty of esteems in delhi/merut scrap markets. I am little against ECU repair as this would be the most unrelible repair, if ECU fails everything fails, i would suggest to explore the esteem route.

Pramod
pramodkumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 10:49   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
sorry for the noob question but how different is an esteem ECU from a Gypsy ECU, as per my understanding since the engine is same the ECU should be the same the only issue would be the maps, if that is so getting a good ecu in scrap would not be a problem as there are plenty of esteems in delhi/merut scrap markets. I am little against ECU repair as this would be the most unrelible repair, if ECU fails everything fails, i would suggest to explore the esteem route.

Pramod
Yes, I too am very apprehensive about the repair. But buying a new one means additional 15K; on top of 3.2L I've already spent on the Gypsy :-(

But I don't think a Esteem ECU can be retrofitted in a Gypsy. And even if it can, the re-mapping will cost a bomb, won't it?

Nitin
Old 19th May 2010, 11:22   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I too am very apprehensive about the repair. But buying a new one means additional 15K; on top of 3.2L I've already spent on the Gypsy :-(

But I don't think a Esteem ECU can be retrofitted in a Gypsy. And even if it can, the re-mapping will cost a bomb, won't it?

Nitin

the maps wont be much different as the 4x4 is manual, the maps would mean more of fueling application to maintain torque etc. you would not have to reflash it. both are 32 bit ecu and i belive they are the same.

Pramod
Old 19th May 2010, 11:32   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
the maps wont be much different as the 4x4 is manual, the maps would mean more of fueling application to maintain torque etc. you would not have to reflash it. both are 32 bit ecu and i belive they are the same.

Pramod
Any idea where in Delhi, I can get this done?

Thanks

Nitin
Old 19th May 2010, 11:48   #98
BHPian

Nitin - just spend the money and get a new ECM. There is no workaround. Esteem ECM is very different and it is just not about the AFR. AFR is one aspect of ECM functionality.

Get a new Gypsy ECM or search at breakers/junkyards for a suitable replacement.
gsferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 11:49   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea where in Delhi, I can get this done?

Thanks

Nitin
your best bet should be scrap yards like mayapuri(to be avoided) and jama masjid. Else if you want a little better results, to to merut, they will be cheaper and might give you an exchange option as well.

ECU problems is one reason i love the good old carb vehicles, there are hardly anyone in india who can diagnose the problems correctly and even lesser people to fix it.

Pramod
Old 20th May 2010, 22:50   #100
Senior - BHPian

A second hand ECU cost around 5k it would mostly be stolen or come out of a government auction vehicle
it would be mostly safe but check for any sign of opening/repairing
manikjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 23:32   #101
Senior - BHPian

My advise is the same as GSferrari's
When you have worked so hard on the vehicle not to mention the amount the money that you have spent, just take this as a last expense (though I personally believe that there is no such thing as a last expense on 4x4's) and get it over with.

If you remember the talk that we had initially when you were in the thought process and had almost decided to buy a MM550, I clearly told you that any jeep (MM550 or a gypsy) you buy whether its a petrol or a diesel should and will cost you around 2.75L +/- 10-20%. This is an average that all of us pay. Some pay much less and others (read novices like me) much much more.
Get a new ECU get this problem over with and start driving your baby around!!!
Cheers

Last edited by harjeev : 22nd May 2010 at 23:37.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 18:16   #102

Thumbs up great going

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 11th June 2010 at 17:43.
lok_wrc03 is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 25th May 2010, 15:56   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
My advise is the same as GSferrari's
When you have worked so hard on the vehicle not to mention the amount the money that you have spent, just take this as a last expense (though I personally believe that there is no such thing as a last expense on 4x4's) and get it over with.

If you remember the talk that we had initially when you were in the thought process and had almost decided to buy a MM550, I clearly told you that any jeep (MM550 or a gypsy) you buy whether its a petrol or a diesel should and will cost you around 2.75L +/- 10-20%. This is an average that all of us pay. Some pay much less and others (read novices like me) much much more.
Get a new ECU get this problem over with and start driving your baby around!!!
Cheers
Yes buddy, you are right. Now I too am tempted to get a new ECM. Now only two things remain - ECM and front propeller shaft. It seems the front propeller shaft isn't a Maruti genuine part, and there is little play in it. This is causing a sound from below the vehicle.

I went to GAPL to source this, and they told me that there are two parts available for it - 27102-83101 (SGP) which costs Rs. 9677.96/- and 27102M83110 (MGP) which costs Rs. 2707.00/- Both are out of stock, but if I order the MGP part, and Maruti doesn't have that in stock, it'll send the SGP and I'll have to buy it.

Would sourcing a used one from Mayapuri will be advisable? The danger is that I might not whether it's real or fake.

Also the mechanic at MotorCraft Sahibabad told me that besides this noise, there will be no bad effect of this shaft and I can keep on using it. So I am again confused, what to do :-(

Regarding the ECM, I am going to try Shaan Ansari once, he seems knowledgeable and well renowned. If he manages to repair the ECM reliably, well and good. Otherwise I'll change it.

Nitin
Old 25th May 2010, 17:10   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes buddy, you are right. Now I too am tempted to get a new ECM. Now only two things remain - ECM and front propeller shaft. It seems the front propeller shaft isn't a Maruti genuine part, and there is little play in it. This is causing a sound from below the vehicle.

I went to GAPL to source this, and they told me that there are two parts available for it - 27102-83101 (SGP) which costs Rs. 9677.96/- and 27102M83110 (MGP) which costs Rs. 2707.00/- Both are out of stock, but if I order the MGP part, and Maruti doesn't have that in stock, it'll send the SGP and I'll have to buy it.

Would sourcing a used one from Mayapuri will be advisable? The danger is that I might not whether it's real or fake.

Also the mechanic at MotorCraft Sahibabad told me that besides this noise, there will be no bad effect of this shaft and I can keep on using it. So I am again confused, what to do :-(

Regarding the ECM, I am going to try Shaan Ansari once, he seems knowledgeable and well renowned. If he manages to repair the ECM reliably, well and good. Otherwise I'll change it.

Nitin
Hey nitin
I think that once you sort out your ECM you could definitely try Mayapuri for the propeller shaft PS.
As per my experience the Mayapuri guys will not give you a fake product but might give you a repaired product if you are not careful or do not know what you are buying or what to look for. So no worries about the PS being fake.
We (NIOC gang) generally have 1 guy who does all the sourcing for us and never in the past couple of years have we been in any problem as far as the quality of the parts are concerned. He always sources the best available part in the whole of the market and gives it to us. In the process he might be keeping (I am not sure)some margin (maybe 500 to 1000 bucks, depending the cost of the part) but still the rates work out to be cheaper than if we we were to go directly and try to procure the parts ourselves. I have tested him a couple of times. Plus if the parts were to go bad in the near future they are changed by him without any fuss and further we do not have to roam around in the market hunting for parts ourselves.
So no harm done

Yes the workmanship is a different issue all together, but still installing a Propeller Shaft is a no brainer and I wouldn't recommend spending 10 grands + labor on such a part.
But then to each his own. You just see what you are comfortable at and do just that.

BTW what registration does your vehicle have. You wrote somewhere that you were successful registering the vehicle in NCR. Where exactly and how much did it cost??

Last edited by harjeev : 25th May 2010 at 17:13.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 21:52   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Hey nitin
I think that once you sort out your ECM you could definitely try Mayapuri for the propeller shaft PS.
As per my experience the Mayapuri guys will not give you a fake product but might give you a repaired product if you are not careful or do not know what you are buying or what to look for. So no worries about the PS being fake.
We (NIOC gang) generally have 1 guy who does all the sourcing for us and never in the past couple of years have we been in any problem as far as the quality of the parts are concerned. He always sources the best available part in the whole of the market and gives it to us. In the process he might be keeping (I am not sure)some margin (maybe 500 to 1000 bucks, depending the cost of the part) but still the rates work out to be cheaper than if we we were to go directly and try to procure the parts ourselves. I have tested him a couple of times. Plus if the parts were to go bad in the near future they are changed by him without any fuss and further we do not have to roam around in the market hunting for parts ourselves.
So no harm done
Please PM me the number of that guy. I will ask him whether he can source the shaft.

Quote:
Yes the workmanship is a different issue all together, but still installing a Propeller Shaft is a no brainer and I wouldn't recommend spending 10 grands + labor on such a part.
But then to each his own. You just see what you are comfortable at and do just that.
Yep, I do not intend to spend so much on the shaft. I will procure the MGP shaft (2.5K) and will get it fitted from my mechanic (50-100 bucks).

Quote:
BTW what registration does your vehicle have. You wrote somewhere that you were successful registering the vehicle in NCR. Where exactly and how much did it cost??
My Gypsy is registered in Bulandshahar - a town in UP, about 65 KMs from Delhi and part of NCR. I spent 27K on the registration, about 12K more than what people spend on PB 47 registration. But I guess it is worth the extra moolah.

Since my Gypsy is ex-UP police, it already had a UP number (UP 32 AQ 4435) and re-registering in UP didn't get it a new number, it retains the old one.

Nitin