Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 27th February 2010, 23:43   #46
Senior - BHPian

Why is the price not being disclosed? Please share the price.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 11:59   #47
BHPian

Gentlemen,

Any updates on the progress? I'm hooked to this thread.

Regards,
Zorro4X4
Zorro4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 13:33   #48
BHPian

Let me know if you need any help in the procurement of parts for your restoration. recently (2-3 months back) an auction was held at VF jabalpur where in a lot of jonga parts were sold. I had checked out the jabalpur scrap market after this and had seen many jonga parts there. I will send my feelers and check out if you need and parts there. We have 2 immaculately restored BRO jongas here in Nagpur. Will post pics for some ideas for you guys.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 14:41   #49
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
you are asking for the most important organ of my CJ. No i can't kill my CJ like that..
Do not worry before you land Siddu would have taken care of your CJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
WOW !! I got so many jongas to travel in for my future OTRs .
Sure....hop in any Jongas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
Congratulations Swastikviji, Sha and Star_Aqua. 3 Jongas in one thread. Would be closely following your thread as you guys bring them back to life.
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Boy View Post
Sha & Vijay X2
a fellow Tbhpian (hrishikesh) was kind enough to send me the factory manual for the Jonga, will give a copy to you guys when I meet up with you
This was for another friend who is also restoring a Jonga - He is a collector and this vehicle is in a que amongst other vehicles.
Cheers
GB
Good info, mail us the manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Congrats guys !

Do let us know the price
Will let you know the price just wait for few days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
hoping to see a detailed restoration procedure, with pictures too!
Restoration will be done slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Congratulations! Will follow this thread, Hope you people are planning to keep the Petrol engine. Its very easy to tune and highly potential engine, Only downside is its drinking habits. Many people will throw the Petrol engine, which is sad.

BTW! please don't shy away to mention the price, It will only help other prospective enthusiast.
No second thought of changing engine we will keep the Nissan engine even it gives 3KMPL. About price sure will let you know guys wait for few days we need calculate because it was bought from auction with other vehicles also just be patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Why is the price not being disclosed? Please share the price.
About price sure will let you know guys wait for few days we need calculate because it was bought from auction with other vehicles also just be patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro4X4 View Post
Gentlemen,

Any updates on the progress? I'm hooked to this thread.

Regards,
Zorro4X4
You need to have lot of patience to this thread, Restoration will be slowly .
Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
Let me know if you need any help in the procurement of parts for your restoration. recently (2-3 months back) an auction was held at VF jabalpur where in a lot of jonga parts were sold. I had checked out the jabalpur scrap market after this and had seen many jonga parts there. I will send my feelers and check out if you need and parts there. We have 2 immaculately restored BRO jongas here in Nagpur. Will post pics for some ideas for you guys.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Thanks Doc definately will let you know if any parts are required, put the photos of jonga in this thread itself.
Sha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 19:14   #50
BANNED

hi friends,i am a new member of team bhp.i had a petrol jonga i the 70s which averaged about 8+ kmpl.now i have picked nissan rd28 engine with a 4wd gearbox,so am looking for a good jonga for the transplant.
hps aulakh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 18:08   #51
BHPian

Well guys I learnt driving on my Dad's (a colonel then) Jonga in 1978-79. The torque was so awsome that you could start the vehicle in 1st or 2ndwith no problems(it had only 3 fwd gears).
The same 6 cyl straight six did duty in the Nissan 1-Ton also (now phased out) with a different gear box. So notorious was its fuel efficiency (4-5 kpl) that it gave rise to a popular saying in Army that 'the two things which have caused the maximum damage to the Indian Army are The 1-Ton and The JCO Rank'!
windiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 20:00   #52

Awesome Jeeps!! They're one of the best the Army had. The 6 cyl Nissan is no doubt a fuel guzzler but the power and reliability is unmatched. I agree, you guys really need an oil well to do an expedition on it.All the best and will watch the restoration.
thumpingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 21:30   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingbull View Post
Awesome Jeeps!! They're one of the best the Army had. The 6 cyl Nissan is no doubt a fuel guzzler but the power and reliability is unmatched. I agree, you guys really need an oil well to do an expedition on it.All the best and will watch the restoration.
Power was no doubt was fantastic, but reliability was nothing to write home about. In fact back in my Army days the 1 Tons and Jongas were the biggest slowing down factors in the convoys. Due to their weight and skinny tyres they were often getting bogged down The Mahindra CJ3B Jeeps were infinitely more reliable, lighter and could go anywhere with the 4x4 engaged.
windiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 21:31   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
'the two things which have caused the maximum damage to the Indian Army are The 1-Ton and The JCO Rank'!
I wonder why I didn't hear this connotation earlier when I was serving. This is so true!
dhondusaxena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:39   #55
BHPian

Congrats on the new buy, way to go guys, awesome beasts. Please keep us posted with the restoration work on them.
raghu4222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:18   #56
BHPian

@ Sha,
Congrats on a good buy. You have got a JONGA in a very decent condition. You may contact tbhpian abhilashn who has recently restored his JONGA to a original condition.
You can visit his website: :: My Jonga ::
dhrishikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 22:45   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps aulakh View Post
hi friends,i am a new member of team bhp.i had a petrol jonga i the 70s which averaged about 8+ kmpl.now i have picked nissan rd28 engine with a 4wd gearbox,so am looking for a good jonga for the transplant.
Lucky you. I used to get 6 - 6.5

Quote:
Well guys I learnt driving on my Dad's (a colonel then) Jonga in 1978-79. The torque was so awsome that you could start the vehicle in 1st or 2ndwith no problems(it had only 3 fwd gears).
The same 6 cyl straight six did duty in the Nissan 1-Ton also (now phased out) with a different gear box. So notorious was its fuel efficiency (4-5 kpl) that it gave rise to a popular saying in Army that 'the two things which have caused the maximum damage to the Indian Army are The 1-Ton and The JCO Rank'!
The Power Wagon, in my opinion, was one of the most underrated of vehicles. If its size is not a limiting factor, it would give tractors a run for their money, and run rings round our current crop of 4x4s.

Quote:
Power was no doubt was fantastic, but reliability was nothing to write home about. In fact back in my Army days the 1 Tons and Jongas were the biggest slowing down factors in the convoys. Due to their weight and skinny tyres they were often getting bogged down The Mahindra CJ3B Jeeps were infinitely more reliable, lighter and could go anywhere with the 4x4 engaged.
Finally!!! I was feeling like the odd man out here (see post # 33).
However, don't agree with your assessment of the Power Wagons capabilities. Don't know anything about its reliability.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 23:00   #58
BHPian

Ha Ha ! Do I see a CJ3B vs. Jonga (constructive) thread in the offing.

But honestly they are breeds apart,..one (CJ3B) is like a feather weight boxer,...you know the kind that moves like a butterfly and stings like a bee

The other (Jonga) is like a super-heavy weight,...who is an out and out slugger,..where one well aimed punch is all you need for a TKO....!
Torque-ative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 20:18   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^
And in this context the Gypsy is a .......

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 09:56   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^
And in this context the Gypsy is a .......

Regards
Sutripta
Mountain Goat! Ibex
dwaraka is offline   Reply With Quote