Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2010, 22:40   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,575
Thanked: 834 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
I have learnt the following on the CJ3B front from experts

12. Army CJ3Bs were all had only bench seats where the CJ3B siblings CJ340 and CL340 and Classics had bucket seats as well.
Not quite. My CJ3B RCL came with front bucket seats and all Army Jeeps i have seen have the bucket seats on the front. Im suppose you meant front seats, as no jeep ive seen, comes with rear bucket seats.

I heard that the Army Version of the of the T-90 tranny on a CJ Petrol is somewhat different than the civilian version. Maybe for more pulling power in a particular gear. Im not too sure about this, will someone like to elaborate on that please.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 12:41   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 173
Thanked: 20 Times
Default army vehicle is taller

I had read that there is a hight difference, mm550 army version is taller then mm540 not sure though, can any one confirm?
GrayBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 12:46   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
vinod_nookala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 410 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
GTO do army Jeeps really have more BHP?. I am attaching a pic of specification sheet which tells the other way round. Is there any other evidence which makes you say so? Why will an oil cooler lead to an increase in BHP?

Spike
SPike,

Thanks, you have cleared a popular misconception
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 12:54   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default XD3Ps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
GTO do army Jeeps really have more BHP?. I am attaching a pic of specification sheet which tells the other way round. Is there any other evidence which makes you say so? Why will an oil cooler lead to an increase in BHP?

Spike
Hi Spike,

Now that the XD3P is "Officially Dead".

Please list of the FIPs used and the RPM restriction on each variant.
XD3PB, XD3PU, XD3P-2A (NGCS MM550XD) etc.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 18:27   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default Features

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post

2. The army jeep's front grill got 2 small rectangle plates to support the monkey light with 3 screw holes.

15. Pic axle head and holder on passenger side fender for army jeeps
Hi Siva,

Please explain these new findings, with additional description, maybe a few pics.

Rajdeep DattaRoy & VVT are definitely in for a shock.

Regards,

Arka

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1359185-post9.html
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 18:41   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 679 Times
Default

@Arka refer your post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1359185-post9.html there is nothing called as a Brush guard it is "Bush Guard" where does Brush come here?, although the insect screen serves to keep insects away from the radiator fins it is called as a "Chaffscreen", also D rings is technically called as "Lashing rings" this is for information to all fellow jeepers and forum members

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 18:57   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,240
Thanked: 600 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
I am attaching a pic of specification sheet which tells the other way round.
So with oil cooler it makes lesser power.

The civilian XD3P made 76 BHP??

Why does the spec sheet say 72.5 on my Bolero XD3P manual. Or is there another twist here too.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 19:42   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 679 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
So with oil cooler it makes lesser power.

The civilian XD3P made 76 BHP??

Why does the spec sheet say 72.5 on my Bolero XD3P manual. Or is there another twist here too.
that is why i asked GTO if there is any other evidence which states that army versions produced 76 BHP, but i am damn sure that army versions were calibrated for 4500 RPM, that means the manual with me has a typo.
Oil cooler is provided as the oil is being churned more at higher RPMs, leading to more heat loads

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 23:11   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
trammway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,122
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Siva,

Please explain these new findings, with additional description, maybe a few pics.

Rajdeep DattaRoy & VVT are definitely in for a shock.

Regards,

Arka

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1359185-post9.html
Pics for reference.

2. The army jeep's front grill got 2 small rectangle plates to support the monkey light with 3 screw holes. (blackout lights in the front grill are often referred as monkey lights and the rectangle plates to give additional support for the installation from inner side)
Name:  Image197.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  26.9 KB

15. Pic(k) ax(l)e head and holder on passenger side fender for army jeeps -- oops definitely a typo.

I'm talking about RHD Indian version of CJ3B and I was talking about the same "Pick Axe Holder Edge Head on Left Fender " - this make passenger side for RHD vehicles.
Name:  India2MtnDivFront400.JPG
Views: 1071
Size:  15.7 KB
Name:  MahindraAF400.JPG
Views: 1031
Size:  19.8 KB
Name:  SinhaBefore400.JPG
Views: 1024
Size:  27.5 KB
trammway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 23:15   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
trammway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,122
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Not quite. My CJ3B RCL came with front bucket seats and all Army Jeeps i have seen have the bucket seats on the front. Im suppose you meant front seats, as no jeep ive seen, comes with rear bucket seats.

I heard that the Army Version of the of the T-90 tranny on a CJ Petrol is somewhat different than the civilian version. Maybe for more pulling power in a particular gear. Im not too sure about this, will someone like to elaborate on that please.
Sir, Please see my post above this one with pics. I have posted few Army/Airforce jeep pics. I was thinking that these seats were referred as bench or normal seats and the one's seen in CJ340 and Classic or any other modern car that got rails to move the seat front and back and lever to adjust the back rest position.
trammway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 00:07   #26
BHPian
 
sreerajunnithan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Banagalore
Posts: 445
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Another difference in favour of the Army XD3P engines; they come equipped with an oil cooler that results in an additional 2.5 BHP (Total = 75 versus 72.5 for the civilian version).
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
GTO do army Jeeps really have more BHP?. I am attaching a pic of specification sheet which tells the other way round. Is there any other evidence which makes you say so? Why will an oil cooler lead to an increase in BHP?

Spike
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
SPike,

Thanks, you have cleared a popular misconception
As far as i know, army 550 fitted with Delphi FIPs whereas civilian ones had Bosch, Additional BHP is coming from FIP, i could be wrong here though. I think Arka's question has the answer for that.

Thanks
--Sree--
sreerajunnithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 00:59   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,575
Thanked: 834 Times
Default

I rephrase my question, still awaiting an answer from experts.

Q: Is there any difference in the gear ratios of my RCL CJ3B as compared to a normal military or civilian one?

Thanks in anticipation.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:54   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 679 Times
Default

Fuel pump for Army vehicles were rotary types with two makes Delphi-TVS with variable timing and MICO, so were the fuel filters and fuel injectors, Oil pump was of gear type with two makes UCAL and Fortuna

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:03   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default Brush

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
@Arka refer your post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1359185-post9.html there is nothing called as a Brush guard it is "Bush Guard" where does Brush come here?, although the insect screen serves to keep insects away from the radiator fins it is called as a "Chaffscreen", also D rings is technically called as "Lashing rings" this is for information to all fellow jeepers and forum members

Spike
Hi Spike,

Since we did not have a Serving M&M employee, opening up the BOM for us, I decided to use the South African/Australian name.

Brush is also a term applied to shrubs/shrub land.

When you drive through brush, you brush aside the branches and they snap back on your radiator.

Congratulations on becoming a JEEPer .

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:07   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,240
Thanked: 600 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Q: Is there any difference in the gear ratios of my RCL CJ3B as compared to a normal military or civilian one?
No.

I am no expert. So open to confirmation.

As an aside, I am aware that the American chassis one came with coil springs at the rear.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Techinical differences between Skoda vRS and 1.8TPI ? nanu28 Technical Stuff 22 9th December 2015 21:27
Huge differences in prices between cities Zappo The Indian Car Scene 36 28th October 2013 18:20
MM550 Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain JeepCaptain 4x4 Vehicles 160 17th May 2013 12:05
Differences between RE Electra X and the New Electra Twinspark bornin70s Motorbikes 18 17th May 2010 19:23


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks