Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 12th March 2010, 07:53   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
5. There is a headlight angle adjusting switch with 5 positions. 2 up, 1 mid and 2 down. Haven't seen this on other Gypsies.
#5 has been mandated by law and all cars have this now. Depending on your load level you can adjust the headlights so that do not end up pointing at sky with higher load at the rear. One piece of advice : Get your head beams adjusted(focussed) with level switch at middle position rather than zero position. Will be helpful in hills. Normally th adjustment is at zero position. If they are now doing mid+2up+2down it is indeed a welcome change.

Enjoy the ownership.

Last edited by sudev : 12th March 2010 at 07:56.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 09:13   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
Waiting for the pics of your gypsy.
I'll get the videos across today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
With regards to the stepping boards, they are standard fittings on a hard top Gypsy for easy access to rear benches from the front doors. The front passenger seats should be collapsible for the same reason
That is what the workshop manager at the stockyard told me but I'd never seen ANY Gypsy with the step-boards before so I was a bit mystified. They are coming off anyway - easier to enter through the rear door anyway and all I need to do is install a grab-handle to make it easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
#5 has been mandated by law and all cars have this now. Depending on your load level you can adjust the headlights so that do not end up pointing at sky with higher load at the rear. One piece of advice : Get your head beams adjusted(focussed) with level switch at middle position rather than zero position. Will be helpful in hills. Normally th adjustment is at zero position. If they are now doing mid+2up+2down it is indeed a welcome change
Will do Sudev

I've just pointed out some stuff that I haven't seen on any of the Gypsies so far. I am sure most of the Gypsies are modified but it is nice to see a stock vehicle to draw comparisons.

Heading to the RTO in an hour's time. Wish me luck!
gsferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 11:04   #93
BHPian

Best of luck!

Also, thanks for the suggestion Harjeev!
I think I will take your advice and go for the hella map reading light!
ladak.imran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 12:08   #94
BHPian

Quote:
3. They have installed stepping boards on both sides of the vehicle. These look like an afterthought and totally detract from the look of the vehicle. They will be the first victims of the modding process.
The stepping board should be there only on the navigator side. There are no stepping boards at the back. When you say on both sides, do you mean, you have a stepping board on the driver's side too?
Quote:
5. There is a headlight angle adjusting switch with 5 positions. 2 up, 1 mid and 2 down. Haven't seen this on other Gypsies.
I think, because of this, the Head light units are no longer glass ones.
This makes it difficult to upgrade to higher wattage bulbs.
Anyway, congratulations on the new Gypsy. Hope to see some pictures soon.
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 12:45   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
...because of this, the Head light units are no longer glass ones. This makes it difficult to upgrade to higher wattage bulbs....
Plastics offer a better and much wider choice in construction and shapes. People have een using Xenon's in plastics so why higher wattage is not possible?
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 12:49   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Plastics offer a better and much wider choice in construction and shapes. People have een using Xenon's in plastics so why higher wattage is not possible?
Because people here have reported that the higher heat causes reflector damage. In the case of the Gypsy. Maybe the plastics are of poor quality.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 13:37   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
The stepping board should be there only on the navigator side. There are no stepping boards at the back. When you say on both sides, do you mean, you have a stepping board on the driver's side too?

I think, because of this, the Head light units are no longer glass ones.
This makes it difficult to upgrade to higher wattage bulbs.
Anyway, congratulations on the new Gypsy. Hope to see some pictures soon.
Cheers,
Deepak
I went with GS (am his brother) to the yard, and can confirm that the stepping board is only on the navigator side. It protrudes quite a bit, and is lower set than the door (between the body and the ground). This will definitely grind against any obstacles, and needs to go asap. It is ugly, and folds up, the board is bolted to the frame via a parallel bar. There is no stepping board for the back, where it is actually required, and a grab rail is also needed at the rear to assist people climbing in, without this, people may support their weight on the door, which is not desirable. The plan is to remove the navigator board and move it to the rear.

Cheers,
Sriku
sriku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 13:42   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
The plan is to remove the navigator board and move it to the rear.
Perfect, that is exactly what i was about to suggest.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 14:53   #99
BHPian

Guys - Looking for some quick Photoshop visuals. The stock hard-top is ALL white. I was under the impression that the hard-top is in Grey color. The Gypsy in stock form looks like an Ambulance and I need to re-spray the hard-top immediately.

Can someone do a Photoshop with the following colors and post here?

1. Camouflage (sandy and jungle)
2. Sand Brown
3. Light Blue
4. Light Grey

Any other color you like...even 2-tone.
Old 12th March 2010, 15:22   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Have you seen cougar's gypsy? Looks pretty nice!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 15:35   #101
Senior - BHPian

@ phamilyman - true but its blue na, he will not get a good idea of the grey since his is white.

And i think the best choice will be camo..

Quote:

Can someone do a Photoshop with the following colors and post here?

1. Camouflage (sandy and jungle)
2. Sand Brown
3. Light Blue
4. Light Grey

Any other color you like...even 2-tone.
Ramie your help is needed here, hope you are reading this.

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 12th March 2010 at 15:37.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2010, 00:08   #102
Senior - BHPian

i agree with you on the ambulance bit, i still get the feeling when it see it from the front. from the sides with the HT, it isnt so bad
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2010, 03:27   #103
BHPian

There is always a trade off while buying a Gypsy hard or soft top. Hard top is more practical but you have to sacrifice in looks department and soft top is vice versa.
Amar82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2010, 11:17   #104
BHPian

I have decided to get a canvas top in camouflage (sandy or green) with an insulating inner coat. This will go over the hard-top and it will have fasteners to hold it in place. This will look better than a paint-job, easy to experiment with different looks (just make a different one whenever you feel the need for change) and it will offer protection from the blazing sun. I can also have roll-up windows on the outside directly over the inner glass windows for that "military" look while retaining the benefits of the inner hard-top.

I need to speak with a competent person who can execute this for me with the highest quality. Any suggestions?

If you don't get the idea - think of it as draping a canvas soft-top over the existing hard-top and using fasteners and velcro to hold it in place. Thats it...
Old 13th March 2010, 11:29   #105
BHPian

Buddy where are the pics and video's of your new gypsy?

Putting a canvas top on hardtop will look funny. May be i haven't seen it before.

Last edited by Amar82 : 13th March 2010 at 11:31.
Amar82 is offline   Reply With Quote