Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 18th May 2010, 18:35   #301
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Jaggu,

Unfortunately 6.00X16/7.00X16/7.50X16 are the Ideal sizes for JEEPs.

If the tyre is too broad, they is robs the vehicle of power, if it is narrow then it does not float the vehicle adequately.
Fortunately i would also agree on this.

Quote:
What about the invincible side-walls of cross-ply tyres, aren't they desirable features for an off-road JEEP?
100% yes!

Quote:
I have seen only one JEEP so far which could really churn her non-stock tyres, that is Arjun Rudra's FANTA with the 100 bhp and 30 kgm Diesel and 47:1 crawl Ratio, she can dig in upto her Hubs and still move forward in 3rd Low in Sand, churning her 31-11.50-15 Maxxis Mudzillas.
I wouldn't even compare that jeep to mine LOL

Quote:
If is from that perspective I suggest
i) 7.00X16 NDMS
ii) Maxxis Trepador
i) No, i would prefer better patterns anyday
ii) Yes 100% coz that the most VFM option next to NDMS for my OTR ideas.

Quote:
7.00X16 NDMS on a CJ3B is superb on Sand & Slush, not a problem on rocks.
How about rockz with lil bit of water?

Check with Rudra what circus i did after the breaking fiasco, at the water service center, while reversing.

Nice clean granite, no its not inside washing area where soap, diesel, oil would have been. Just normal granite but slightly wet and a wet NDMS, vehicle in 2 wheel drive and moving sideways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
7.5x16 would be dream come true if exists, it would be perfect for the guys like me who do not want super wide tires and yet achieve 31inches of height. I recollect venky saying its available. Need to cross check with him.

Thanks
--Sree--
Quote:
JEEEEYYOOOOO!!!!!!!!

If that is the case, Jaggu, please let me know the Size and the Price.

Regards,

Arka

PS - I heard it was the Kreepy Krawler in 7.00X16
Arka,

Venki or Viji are the right people since they have the first hand info. Am yet to do the window shopping.

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th May 2010 at 18:39.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 18:39   #302
Senior - BHPian

Default Ml-653

Quote:
7.5x16 would be dream come true if exists, it would be perfect for the guys like me who do not want super wide tires and yet achieve 31inches of height. I recollect venky saying its available. Need to cross check with him.

Thanks
--Sree--
Hi Sree,

7.50X16 NDMS (Diagonal) is Available.

The Catch; its 16 Ply and ech weigh 22Kgs without, tube or Wheel Disc.

Malhotra Tyres ML-653 cost Rs 4600 each with out tube.

http://www.mrltires.com/lighttrucktyre-one.html

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 18:40   #303
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
7.00X16 NDMS on a CJ3B is superb on Sand & Slush, not a problem on rocks.
Where I live, it is mostly Laterite gravel and mud.

Quote:
And as far as the NDMS trumping the Geo's then you haven't been off-roading that hard.
Ah! The standard "If you don't agree with me, you ain't hardcore enough" defense.

Anyway, for the kind of offroading I do, Geo AT/S is yet to fail me. And I am not going to push it to fail just for the sake of it.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 18:43   #304
Senior - BHPian

Default Deflate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
How about rockz with lil bit of water?

Check with Rudra what circus i did after the breaking fiasco, at the water service center, while reversing.

Nice clean granite, no its not inside washing area where soap, diesel, oil would have been. Just normal granite but slightly wet and a wet NDMS, vehicle in 2 wheel drive and moving sideways.
Hi Jaggu,

Deflate the NDMS to 10/12/15 psi and no dance or circus what so ever with "water on the rocks".

Braking Fiasco is part and parcel of JEEP & NDMS.

Regards,

Arka
Old 18th May 2010, 18:46   #305
BHPian

Quote:
PS - I heard it was the Kreepy Krawler in 7.00X16
Yes arka, it's available. Viji can give you more insight about it.

Sree
sreerajunnithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 18:57   #306
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Deflate the NDMS to 10/12/15 psi and no dance or circus what so ever with "water on the rocks".
Arka but we ideally want to limit this inflate and deflate situation to minimum right, there are trails in BLR which has like 5% distance which is completely rock and rest 95% where you need full psi and it can be scattered around. So doing it will be lil dicey at times. So am looking at a better option which has more buffer in most regular OTR situations.

Quote:
Braking Fiasco is part and parcel of JEEP & NDMS.
I know but which can be improved by using better tires, this i firmly believe. Am not saying its limited to Jeep or NDMS, even starters Gypsy howled to a stop while on the way back from annual OTR, on tarmac. But it was far more under control and that too at much higher speed, it has BFG's.

Quote:
Yes arka, it's available. Viji can give you more insight about it.
Can i see you for a minute outside!! Mr Sreeraj!!!
Old 18th May 2010, 19:13   #307
Senior - BHPian

NDMS are bloody rugged and can take on abuse like you won't believe.
For rocky terrain like Kelambakkam, I would use them.
For other terrains, One will need a different set of tyres.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 20:04   #308
Team-BHP Support

They have rugged sidewalls i agree, but how is the thread area? I have seen many of them chipped off, including my jeeps. And my jeep hasn't done any serious offroading with these tires, atleast in the history i know of.
Old 18th May 2010, 22:34   #309
BHPian

Default LED Kab ayega

Quote:
Got the jeep back after complete re-wiring and gear box overhaul.

Time to hook up some LED's

Jaggu derailing you from the serious tyre talks, when can I get to see those LED's which are to be hooked up.
Meanwhile a belated congrats for owning the dwarf.
"Late ayee vannalum latest thaan veruvae"
REMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 22:46   #310
Team-BHP Support

I have done the wiring but installation of LED is still pending, should be my DIY this weekend. The floor boards were not cooperative to 3M tape and super glue, so i have to get some acrylic sheets to mount the led blocks and then screw them on to the locations i have planned.
Old 19th May 2010, 10:27   #311
Senior - BHPian

Default Deflate

Quote:
Arka but we ideally want to limit this inflate and deflate situation to minimum right, there are trails in BLR which has like 5% distance which is completely rock and rest 95% where you need full psi and it can be scattered around. So doing it will be lil dicey at times. So am looking at a better option which has more buffer in most regular OTR situations.
Hi Jaggu,

Deflating is an Off-Road Ritual, an Absolute Must Do.
Otherwise, any terrain will damage any tyre.

Deflating helps in two ways
1) Allows the tyre to flex over rock and hard edges
2) Increase contact patch i.e Traction.

This is all the more important for Bangy Boys, since most of your OTRs are through Jungle Trails strewn with rocks.

Regards,

Arka
Old 19th May 2010, 10:58   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Jaggu,

Deflating is an Off-Road Ritual, an Absolute Must Do.
Otherwise, any terrain will damage any tyre.

This is all the more important for Bangy Boys, since most of your OTRs are through Jungle Trails strewn with rocks.

Regards,

Arka
I absolutely 100% agree with this. And the only reason we dont is because we dont have a good well functioning tyre inflator for our trails. Can we have suggestions on good tyre inflators?
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 12:53   #313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I do agree to the reasons but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
the only reason we dont is because we dont have a good well functioning tyre inflator for our trails. Can we have suggestions on good tyre inflators?
I meant deflating and then inflating, unless we have a good pump it becomes a lil too time consuming affair.

Apart from Avalaconda the rest of the trails i have heard off, are mostly tire friendly right?

Anyways end of discussion with NDMS on DwArF, they go! Period! Replaced with what and when is the only debate that needs to be carried forward.

Maxis- Choice 1
Geo's- Choice 2

And search continues.
Old 25th May 2010, 21:50   #314
Team-BHP Support

Hit a small hiccup during last weekend OTR, the fuse for one of the line started blowing. Tried 3 fuses and some minor checks and still no success, left it for the electrician. Today but curiosity overtook my laziness and i decided to give it a try myself. First thing i peeped under the dash and lol there are 3 unused wires hanging out! I had asked the electrician to tape the additional wires which we had used for fogs etc but i guess he didn't.

So took some tape and insulated them and tried the fuse, checked all the circuits and issue is resolved! Saved me 30 kms of drive.

So to celebrate the wiring success i took him around the block for a spin, actually i just missed driving him for last 2 days and needed an excuse

Meanwhile i was mighty impressed by the light weight front end and the free revving hurricane engine, this really helped me scale the ditch in pearl valley and the weak points were also exposed.

First the stock NDMS, either i need to get a pressure gauge and pump so that i can deflate the tires OR get better tires. For the sake of convenience and safety am leaning towards some Maxis. Somebody please recommend me for a decent hike

Second the safety aspect of stock seating. I need to put roll bars, seat belts and maybe a decent bucket seat.

Note to oneself: If i had flipped the windshield that would have saved me from DwArF's kiss on my forehead. Need to do a water wash and grease this weekend, after the mud bath.
Old 25th May 2010, 22:01   #315
Senior - BHPian

Slightly OT: I thought the Dwarf was being put on sale for a fast car in the garage and thought of contacting you. Damn, doesn't look like
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote