Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 5th February 2011, 17:54   #436
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.

Brake, diff and minor patch work is done. Suspension work is almost done, getting Bolero DI rear shocks all around. We measured the travel and it is 8", should be more than enough.

GB is also almost ready, the crack at the casing has been sorted out. Top gear was procured but the finish of the teeth is still not upto ol mans expectations. So he is trying one more time to procure a better part.

Another 2 weeks i guess Anyways off peak time for OTR's and am not in a hurry this time.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 12:43   #437
Team-BHP Support

Update inching towards delivery

Gearbox finally has been put together, have decided to give it a coat of paint also. Ol man took a long time, but found out almost all woriginal spares for this, except for one particular wheel. Which he feels is not OE but was good, so decided to move on.

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-photo-3-2.jpg

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-photo-4.jpg

OE Handbrake assembly was also overhauled and set up and it works!! Need cable though or will have to mod the system accordingly.

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-photo-2-2.jpg

Next was the clutch, initially ol man had planned not to open. Then he himself thought it is better to open, especially after seeing the situation of the GB. It was a wise decision. The pressure plate is from matador diesel. Look closely, there is a releaser attachment in the forks. Have got the OE jeep set up which does not have these. Instead the clutch release bearing will go and touch the forks.

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-photo-1.jpg

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-photo-2.jpg

Fly wheel needs some facing and the center bush replacement.

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-photo-1-2.jpg

Though the clutch plate seems to be in good condition, this is new high speed plates if am not mistaken.

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-photo-3.jpg

The joints and shafts also are being serviced and hopefully this week the first trial starts before other minor works.

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-photo-5.jpg

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st February 2011 at 14:41.
Old 21st February 2011, 13:18   #438
Senior - BHPian

Your CJ seems to be getting back to top-shape. Once done totally, I'm sure it will last a long time with regular TLC.

BTW if you don't mind asking, how much hole is all this drilling into your pocket

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 14:43   #439
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Your CJ seems to be getting back to top-shape. Once done totally, I'm sure it will last a long time with regular TLC.

BTW if you don't mind asking, how much hole is all this drilling into your pocket

Cheers
Thanks man, yes what i am attempting is to get DwArF into shape. Slow and steady and dont ask me about the hole. But so far i would have spent ~ 2.7 lakhs on the jeep which includes purchase price i guess.

This is one bloody expensive CJ3B i say he he he. This is not about the money for me.
Old 21st February 2011, 15:28   #440
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu, check with Gopal if the latest 'diaphram' clutch system will fit the hurricane's flywheel (given it will fit inside the T90's bellhousing). It is more advanced than this old 'coil spring' type. It will surely improve driveability and power delivery, no clutch slippages in the new type. This old one will cause some amount of slippage under extreme stress.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 16:36   #441
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Jaggu - PLEASE DO NOT "FACE" THE FLYWHEEL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. IT WILL COMPLETELY SPOIL YOUR CLUTCH SETTING / FINGER HEIGHT. AS PER THE PHOTOGRAPH, THE FLYWHEEL LOOKS GOOD TO ME. FOR FURTHER DETAILS,PLEASE CALL ME. Clutch diameter for petrol vehicle is 8.5 inches.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 16:44   #442
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Jaggu, check with Gopal if the latest 'diaphram' clutch system will fit the hurricane's flywheel (given it will fit inside the T90's bellhousing). It is more advanced than this old 'coil spring' type. It will surely improve driveability and power delivery, no clutch slippages in the new type. This old one will cause some amount of slippage under extreme stress.
Will check but i think the job might have been done by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Jaggu - PLEASE DO NOT "FACE" THE FLYWHEEL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. IT WILL COMPLETELY SPOIL YOUR CLUTCH SETTING / FINGER HEIGHT. AS PER THE PHOTOGRAPH, THE FLYWHEEL LOOKS GOOD TO ME. FOR FURTHER DETAILS,PLEASE CALL ME. Clutch diameter for petrol vehicle is 8.5 inches.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Oops too late Behram, this would definitely have been done by now Was given to lathe on saturday. Actually the picture does not say much, there are two grooves running around and hence thought of facing it, very mildly.

Thank you for the clutch plate dia, will check up on both of this, if it has not been put back.
Old 21st February 2011, 17:43   #443
Team-BHP Support

Update: GB had been put back onto the vehicle, though ol man offered to remove it again. I told him not to, let us see how this clutch works.
Old 21st February 2011, 18:23   #444
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Update: GB had been put back onto the vehicle, though ol man offered to remove it again. I told him not to, let us see how this clutch works.
Very much surprised by Gopal's pace.

You must be very lucky, if the jeep comes back to you in the coming week

The hand brake cable - Toyota Qualis ( i had used it on the 1943 Willys MB )

What color are you spraying on the Gearbox and engine????

Actually CJ3B engine came Racing Blue and Gearbox in dull black heat proof paint.
Attached Images

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 21st February 2011 at 18:34.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 18:28   #445
Team-BHP Support

Black for GB, engine right now only the valve covers will be painted since am not planning to dismantle it at this point of time. Pavan am not at all worried with the pace, point is i want a pucka work! i dont want to worry about GB once its done. Atleast this time around

EDIT: I dont expect the jeep to be back this weekend, i want it to be running that is all. Lots of nick nacks yet to attend.

Gopal is only for people who have tons of time. Anyways till rains come no OTR business also lol

EDIT 2: Thanks for the pics! So i was right, when i do engine painting etc i will go for the other colors. And even i was thinking in term of Qualis handbrake

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st February 2011 at 18:53.
Old 21st February 2011, 19:09   #446
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu -> And the same Gopal guy is going get your Dwarf painted? Does he have a painting set up/man power etc?

Edit: Also please do PM me the ol man's details. I could visit him sometime without having to bother you, if it is not an issue. Thanksu

Last edited by Shubz : 21st February 2011 at 19:15.
Shubz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 10:40   #447
Team-BHP Support

Shubz: He has a full set up in his garage, body, mechanicals and paint. Though he mostly monitors, certain vehicles which catches his attention he personally work upon.

Regarding painting, am not planning on painting apart from the gear box and axle (which is already completed) and maybe touch up for the area where patch work was done.
Old 22nd February 2011, 19:14   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Shubz: He has a full set up in his garage, body, mechanicals and paint. Though he mostly monitors, certain vehicles which catches his attention he personally work upon.

Regarding painting, am not planning on painting apart from the gear box and axle (which is already completed) and maybe touch up for the area where patch work was done.
Would love to know where he has put up his shop. Wish to show my Jeep to him once and hope it catches the ol` mans attention. Mind sharing the address?
Shubz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011, 23:31   #449
Team-BHP Support

Took a test drive today and man the jeep is really moving! Need to sort out some more minor niggles, and need a new battery too

Gearbox is lil tight right now and have a shudder while coming to a stop, checking the hand brake system and propeller before proceeding. But boy oh boy DwArF just gained 20bhp according to my butt dyno!
Old 26th February 2011, 23:55   #450
Senior - BHPian

Good going Jaggu! All this work should mean a reliable workhorse for some time at least!!!
jyobeb is offline   Reply With Quote