Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 27th February 2011, 09:31   #451
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.

Something I learnt regarding the shudder during start/stop -dont excessively tighten the xfer-case mounting - it is bad. I should be a little easy to open and not lock tight.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th February 2011 at 09:38. Reason: Spelling
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011, 09:53   #452
Senior - BHPian

the work looks really detailed.

after the drive-train overhaul the reliability will increase surely.

& thanks for the information regarding the shock absorber. (specially for the armada ones)

NOTE: sorry for reporting your posts, you know the reasons.
jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 10:26   #453
Team-BHP Support

Yup so far so good and hopefully i will get him back by weekend. Engine has come out really well, when i drove Frankenstein's jeep i was amazed at the power and refinement and all envy.

Right now i can confidently say the engine side DwArF is pretty close to Frank's CJ

Need to buy a new battery, so off to the offroad battery thread.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 19:04   #454
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu - I don't know if you have already mentioned - but mind sharing what was done on the engine in detail?
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 21:39   #455
Team-BHP Support

Complete tune up, starting from tappet setting to timing to carb tune up. That is it, atleast that is what Gopal told me I attribute the difference to his fine hands and meticulous approach, no short cuts.
Old 3rd March 2011, 09:28   #456
BHPian

Congrats Jaggu , so finally your CJ3B is coming up well. What is the next phase of work you have planned?

How are the bolero shocks doing, is the ride become harder or softer?

PS , please get NDMS tires , it does not deserve ill treatment .
Frankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 10:43   #457
Team-BHP Support

I had a brief test drive and shocks were "definitely" better compared to the old ones, but then old ones (3 of them) were shot. But nowhere close to your CJ Frank coz my springs are not set up like that. I already have NDMS only issue they are 6x16. But one thing am sure, moment my cash reserve is better, they are out

I believe in using newer technology wherever possible, if it helps. No point in sticking to age old stuff just for authenticity sake. This is an offroader jeep for me and i will use best possible stuff to make it more capable.

The same avaloconda trail with trepadors on, in DwArF before work, was a breeze. No fuzz, no wheel spin, do i need more evidence? Theoretically atleast, now it should be even better.
Old 3rd March 2011, 23:17   #458
Senior - BHPian

Saw your dwarf today, bonnet was up, not sure what he was doing, though I asked for a status casually but did not insist he was busy working on the exhaust of the other jeep parked in the other bay.
Old 4th March 2011, 00:07   #459
Team-BHP Support

Yeah we plan to move DwArF out this weekend, if everything goes well. If you remember, me and Gopal were going through the list again last weekend, i wanted some fine tweaks, including fixing proper clips for the fuel lines, re-routing the coolant tank etc. Maybe that is why the hood was up.
Old 4th March 2011, 00:36   #460
Senior - BHPian

As of earlier today, your jeep was 2nd in his list of to-do Jeeps, mine was 3rd or even later.. He was attending to the other jeep which had Patrol and Petrol stickered on it.. with chrome front grille. I was tempted to ask when will mine be taken up - but refrained! simply took his permission to click his and his garage pics and watched him work on the muffler of that jeep and got home.
Old 4th March 2011, 10:22   #461
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
As of earlier today, your jeep was 2nd in his list of to-do Jeeps, mine was 3rd or even later.. He was attending to the other jeep which had Patrol and Petrol stickered on it.. with chrome front grille. I was tempted to ask when will mine be taken up - but refrained! simply took his permission to click his and his garage pics and watched him work on the muffler of that jeep and got home.
I had warned you earlier itself, so be patient The other jeep is all minor stuff, should move out fast. Mine also coming close to finishing, so next week your baby should get undivided attention.
Old 4th March 2011, 19:33   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I had warned you earlier itself, so be patient The other jeep is all minor stuff, should move out fast. Mine also coming close to finishing, so next week your baby should get undivided attention.
Here are a couple of pics. Ole` Man was very busy with your dwarf. Hope you dont mind me posting pics of WIP on your jeep.

And yes, the other jeep is gone! I guess its all done.. thankfully!
Attached Thumbnails
Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-g1.jpg  

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-g2.jpg  

Old 5th March 2011, 23:27   #463
Team-BHP Support

This was a surprise for me ^^. The flex pipe for exhaust

Unfortunately we hit a minor road block, the new electronic fuel pump was so bad that it chocked the fuel supply even to the OE pump. Left the jeep back at garage, and I want to find the source of the transmission vibration while decelerating. Might be the front prop or can it be the 4x4 not getting fully disengaged. NDMS tyres really not helping.

But the short drive I had was superb, now I know when DKG termed the CJ3B to be a go-cart !!!
Old 6th March 2011, 01:00   #464
BANNED

Oops... Do i see the coolant tank on the firewall, next to the fuse box....?

Wrong placement, please have it removed from there.

The Flexible exhaust hose is a good modification, it avoids lots of vibrations, my mech has done the same thing on my M-800 too

Where is the electronic fuel pump located/placed in your Dwarf...? It better be below the fuel tank, since the work of fuel pump is to perform a PUMP function rather than SUCTION.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 11:30   #465
Team-BHP Support

Coolant tank was moved next to radiator yesterday and fuel pump is next to the tank. Sits on the underbody, away from heat and close to tank.