Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 6th March 2011, 14:15   #466
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.

Had to go to that side of town, so dropped in at the workshop also. Fueling issue was sorted, old pump had a lose wiring, that was attended to also. But the mechanical pump is enough since it works well, the electric pump acts as a back up.

Meanwhile the vibration is being attended, and the rear prop is the culprit, this was not checked in detail this time, since previously i had serviced it. Anyways old man is in charge and he wants to set it right. It was easy to identify the issue, just by jacking up and running itself one could observe it.

This how you tune it When the mixture is right you get the condensation at the tip, especially at the first start. With 130 jet the power and mixture seems to be perfect. PrabhuAV had a test drive and his comments were that the jeep is like a rabid dog when you touch the accelerator.
Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-img_0262.jpg

New battery, Amaron Harvest 75 amps.
Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-img_0264.jpg

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th March 2011 at 14:36.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 00:55   #467
Senior - BHPian

I wish I was around. Would've loved a test drive too! That would've helped me get mine done as good as yours!
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 09:46   #468
Team-BHP Support

lol don't get into comparison business! jeeps are always unique, each with its own set of quirks Your jeep is one of the genuine piece with most of the original parts intact, mine is quite ulta with me replacing the woriginal stuff with newer bits wherever possible
Old 8th March 2011, 20:58   #469
Senior - BHPian

Oh I was only talking about the way your engine is tuned. No other comparison. Thanks for finding my Jeep a "Genuine piece" I should thank Andy (Grace), Hemings, UBS sir, Behram sir among many more for helping me with this jeep.

BTW - I had been to the garage today, and Babu was underneath, they had dismantled the drive shaft, gb covers, gear levers etc.
Old 9th March 2011, 15:19   #470
Team-BHP Support

Just spoke to Gopal. Vibration is a misalignment issue of engine gearbox. I remember Spike reminding me to check this, sorted 95% but Gopal is still not fully satisfied, yet.
Old 9th March 2011, 15:40   #471
Senior - BHPian

You too Brutus...!!

Mine was screwed up twice, and now I am at peace with my jeep. Thank GOD you have a petrol; A Diesel would have amplified the mis-alignment to very irritating levels.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 10:34   #472
Team-BHP Support

Coming to think of it, this might have been the reason why things were failing on the gearbox. Joints, bearings would have been taking serious abuse thanks to the vibrations caused.
Old 11th March 2011, 02:56   #473
Senior - BHPian

And when are you taking your Dwarf home? Today your Dwarf was parked outside and he was working on the engine of the red oldie

Mera number kab aayega!!!

Last edited by Dippy : 14th March 2011 at 17:23. Reason: Deleting extra smiley. Only two smilies per post please
Old 11th March 2011, 10:36   #474
Team-BHP Support

Hopefully tomorrow. Shubz i had warned you, don't make frequent visits for your sanity. I used to drop in, just 1 day a week

Heard from Prabhu, he was there in between, that the gearbox and tc were sitting too high and this was the issue, some correction at cross member etc had brought down the vibrations. Fine tuning was going on when he left.

So technically my vehicle should be ready, hoping.
Old 11th March 2011, 19:48   #475
Senior - BHPian

I am not visiting and asking him for updates on my jeep. I just visit once or twice a week. My visit was on Tuesday and Thursday and since I picked up the starter motor from a friend, went today to give it to him. Without my asking, he tells me what he has found (whatever little) with my Jeep. And I am a very patient person - at least on the outlook.

I did visit today to give him the starter motor. Your jeep is ready. It seems there is a weeee bit of misalignment but Gopal said it should be okay.

I (without your permission) sat on the wheel and cranked your jeep (like I crank my jeep). Gopal said - don't crank that much, try giving it a small crank.

I give it less than 1/4th of a crank and whoa... the engine springs to life! Amazing job done!
Old 12th March 2011, 15:40   #476
BHPian

jaggu, the tag of "rabid dog" best describes it. i got my air filter and jets of the carb cleaned and boy , is the dog as rabid as ever....
the thing you wrote about the condensation in the exhaust is quite correct, infact at times you will note quite a bit of water dripping out initially and also the exhaust note as described by UBS is the "fire of the hurricane"
the more i drive my jeep after the rebuild, more silent and potent its becoming. almost done 7k km and its getting more addictive, its perhaps as the engine opens up and becomes more relaxed.
docfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 13:00   #477
Team-BHP Support

Ok i got the vehicle out for few days of trial usage. The vibration has reduced considerably, but still there. At speeds of about 30 kmph you can feel it. Gets killed when you are cruising, accelerating etc over this speeds. Its super silent and only the hurrciane engine sound is audible. Again when coming to halt, vibration comes in, when it really slows down. If you cut the clutch it will reduce a lil bit, coz tranny is disengaged.

Then 2-3 odd rattles, now that vehicle has become silent even small rattles are becoming irritating

Plan to drive around for few more days, note down all the finer tuning stuff and then return.

Any easy way to align the shafts and get the right angles or readings of these angles?

I suspect that when DwArF was released from military service, some parts would have been removed and later down the line, he was put together with bits and pieces available and that is where the real problem is.
Old 14th March 2011, 13:38   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
If you cut the clutch it will reduce a lil bit, coz tranny is disengaged.
Jaggu,
Did you change the transfer case foundation rubber (round) and the main gear box rubbers? I presume you must have also changed the engine foundation rubbers to new.

It is extremely easy to align the engine and GB after the above steps, however if there is a backlash in your gears, there will be a noise emanating from the GB and vibration too, since you mentioned de-clutching starts the sound again.

The green 3B was tuned to such perfection that you could hear each whiff of the four blade metal fan and when you stand about 4 feet away with hood closed the engine was hardly audible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfreak View Post
the thing you wrote about the condensation in the exhaust is quite correct, infact at times you will note quite a bit of water dripping out initially and also the exhaust note as described by UBS is the "fire of the hurricane"
docfreak,
Do not miss the ice chill of the carburetor float tank after starting and droplets through the exhaust, the smell of semi rich burnt fuel...these are the signs of a well tuned carburetor, engine and perfectly set distributor.

Ah! yes, the resound of the fan in the radiator cowl and the sound of the original Lucas starter.

Long live the Hurricane.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 14:24   #479
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Jaggu,
Did you change the transfer case foundation rubber (round) and the main gear box rubbers? I presume you must have also changed the engine foundation rubbers to new.
Fazal saab i need to check, but these were already new if am not mistaken. But i think i need to ask Gopal to double check since it was done by earlier mech And things can sometimes slip past him.

Quote:
since you mentioned de-clutching starts the sound again.
No, when you apply clutch ie declutch the vibrations die down. That is what am doing now.

Quote:
The green 3B was tuned to such perfection that you could hear each whiff of the four blade metal fan and when you stand about 4 feet away with hood closed the engine was hardly audible.
Engine am quite happy, cant make out its turning while at idle, i have to now refer to oil pressure light to see if engine is running while sitting at a signal

EDIT: Any idea what angle should the rear prop be in a CJ3B? When i looked under i felt that its lil too aggressive right now, the angle.

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th March 2011 at 14:36.
Old 14th March 2011, 15:55   #480
Senior - BHPian

Unless you did something to the shackles there is little chance of shaft angle increase (assuming engine/GB perfectly fit). Check the rear diff leaf mounts for any sign of re-weld.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote