Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 15th March 2011, 13:17   #496
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Jaggu, let me put this is another way:-

Is the Engine mounting / Inclination for CJ3B (petrol) & CJ340 same? If the front portion is same, the rear must also trace a similar path.

Spike

PS- If you are not clear, please don't do R&D on personal vehicles (finally you will have to pay, others will quietly observe and you will suffer). It's your call now.
Spike,
My observation (post #489) how wrong am I? Please feel free to correct as it will only help Jaggu.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 14:08   #497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is the Engine mounting / Inclination for CJ3B (petrol) & CJ340 same? If the front portion is same, the rear must also trace a similar path.
Isnt the engine mounting/incline angle partially decided by the GB mounts in a Jeep?

My reason why I asked Jaggu to follow the wedge is I thought all M&M did on a CJ3B Vs CJ340 is change the engine and NOT the GB/shafts angle... So this led me think the 6-degree wedge was part of the original CJ3B, of course Arka's pic shows it the other way around.

Jaggu, time to call the person who was involved in the conversion of CJ3B to CJ340 - Behramji?
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 15:53   #498
Team-BHP Support

Question Re: To wedge or not?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Jaggu - here is how my jeep is supposed to be setup... just for the sake of it (since it seems right) try it and see.
=========
Mine was 'perfectly' file when it rolled out from Raju's and after 500 or 600Kms it was royally back to normal... trust me, it is not a good feeling.
Thanks man, exactly same experience i had. When the gear box was built by Raju it had bad vibrations, along with all sorts of noise thanks to worn out parts which remained unattended. Next time when i took it there Raju managed to reduce the vibration to small extent. I think he played with joints to do this. But moment i used to lift off from speed, it would be doing brrrrrrrrr, vibrating the day lights out of the vehicle.

I ran the vehicle like this for 1600 kms when gearbox started leaking and finally took it to Gopal.

Same fiasco i want to avoid this time around.

Good thing Gopal also understands this and is also quite upset that vehicle is not perfect after the first go. Shubz was there and i was feeling embarrassed with his honesty. Gave some pep talk and came back.

Oh vehicle is already IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Jaggu,
Did you have this "vibration" issue when you bought your JEEP?
When i bought the vehicle, the whole vehicle was in a sad state. I somehow managed to drive it to garage. Then after the first minor build i noticed that GB was a mess, grinding noise, vibration and what not. And then finally decided to do a complete overhaul.

Yes after this the vibration was there, as explained above. On throttle its ok, off throttle while decelarating, as speeds reduce brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr starts.

This has come down to a "great extent". Hence i also doubt the angle of the shaft. Will explain more below.

Quote:
You will notice that part.no 5 is metal plate, listed as Spacer, engine, rear support cross member (2WD) for CJ4, CJ4A, CJ500D & CJ520.
Yes i noticed this 2 wd part later on. But hand book is as unclear as it can be. They have all the model spec in one sheet that anybody can get confused lol

Quote:
Please remove both the spacer on the cross member and on the Axle Tube and drive the vehicle for a few days.
I drove without this (spacers) first. It was vibrating and making sound (noise from body due to vibration) like nobody's business. Same as old times. I knew and so did Gopal that this was not right! and that is why we decided to figure a way out.

What we did was:

1) To eliminate front prop playing up - Disconnected the same and ran the vehicle on jacks. No change in vibration.

2) Removed the rear prop and drove - Super smooth. Technically tranny is fine, ok its not in load but still.

3) Looked at the angle and it was not very healthy. So first started with spacer at axle. Little reduction in sound and vibration.

4) Added at GB mount - Reduction again, this time a major one.

5) Minor change in the angle of whole gb tranny mounting - Further reduction.

All these reductions were visible with just wheels jacked up. Gopal had warned me that it had not gone fully but i also wanted to see how it feels and how the rest of the vehicle is also. So took it out for few days.

Quote:
PS - Please read the Tom Wood's High Angle Drive line article, they have explained basically how to set up drive line angles. Have you followed that?
Will do Arka.

Quote:
You mean if front mount is at an angle, rear also should be? I think it is at an angle in front, atleast from the looks of it and to my untrained eyes. Spikee please guide me in totality instead of riddles. Am bad at that.

Quote:
If you are not clear, please don't do R&D on personal vehicles (finally you will have to pay, others will quietly observe and you will suffer). It's your call now.
I know that and my learning from the suffering is, i cannot run the vehicle with this vibration. It has to be fixed. Hence i asked for help.

We dont have service support from M&M for this vehicle otherwise it would be in one and i would be kicking their butt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Spike,
My observation (post #489) how wrong am I? Please feel free to correct as it will only help Jaggu.
Regards,
Fazal saab i feel you are spot on, its the wrong angle at prop shaft that is inducing all this vibrations. I was afraid that i had wrong parts in my jeep, since its a army auction previous guys would have mixed and matched parts to get it running. Feared that i would have to play with diff pumpkin angle as a last resort. Till i saw Santhosh's and your post.

Quote:
Isnt the engine mounting/incline angle partially decided by the GB mounts in a Jeep?
Yup this is what i also was thinking and agreed in the conversation with you. Moreover the angle of prop shaft has to be minimal as per the reading up i was doing. Which is not the case in DwArF

Quote:
My reason why I asked Jaggu to follow the wedge is I thought all M&M did on a CJ3B Vs CJ340 is change the engine and NOT the GB/shafts angle... So this led me think the 6-degree wedge was part of the original CJ3B, of course Arka's pic shows it the other way around.

Jaggu, time to call the person who was involved in the conversion of CJ3B to CJ340 - Behramji?
Exactly! my doubts continue with:

1) Was this part introduced in our desi CJ3B's. Maybe they had an inherent problem of worn out joints and did r&d to find this solution?

2) My vehicle even the original spacer plate is not there (from Arka's manual). Then again it might be only for 2WD

3) Putting this in rear prop might be ok, but will it then affect the front prop shaft? Ok i might even not know since its running FWH and will work only at offroad under slow speeds.

4) What are the other issues with engine GB at an angle?

5) A 6 deg wedge at cross member, how much will it change the engine mount angle?

6) IS THERE A BETTER APPROACH OR WAY OUT??!

Yes am shouting

Status update: Vehicle in garage, parts ordered. old man fired up to FIX this!

So the question is still to

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-15032011072.jpg
Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-15032011079.jpg

Or NOT!

ps: Santhosh stealing the pics from your post

Last edited by mobike008 : 16th March 2011 at 11:42. Reason: Edited an extra smiley :)
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 16:03   #499
BHPian

Jaggu, this is the major disadvantage of buying a JEEP and using it with some repairs. Basically the whole process becomes never ending and you are never sure of the vehicle.

Somehow the mechanics would make you change each and every part from A-Z and when you think everything is new and replaced, you come back to square one of replacing the first part you did again.

A ground up restoration would save you time, money and frustration.
Frankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 19:29   #500
Senior - BHPian

Post Confusion hi confusion hai!

Quote:
Jaggu,
There should be wedges on both side of the cross member, between it and the chassis which are missing (red arrow in your photograph, attached).
Yes, wedges must be on both sides in a CJ340DP / Classic. Have a look:-

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-cj340-dpclassic.jpg

Quote:
This wedge is to bring down the GB cross member so as to align with the rear diff and to reduce the inclination of the PS.
Correct! It also maintains the engine inclination from the front to the rear.

Quote:
A high degree of inclination as in your Jeep will result in excessive strain on the cross joints, rough ride and vibration.
Correct!

Quote:
Spike,
Regards,
You are absolutely correct regarding the inclination part. I see a lot of confusion all around, will try and explain with whatever I found out today.

Quote:
No sir, engine is packaged first then others follow suit. If you see this pic the GB center-line is following the engine center-line.
Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-cv-joints.jpg

The spacers / wedge mentioned here are to ensure this geometry is satisfied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yes i noticed this 2 wd part later on. But hand book is as unclear as it can be.
Arka is correct. If you see this link http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...mchassis02.jpg the part no. 018047 is Frame Assy for CJ4A 2WD; this has a different spacer setup, have a look:-

Name:  CJ4A 2WD.jpg
Views: 1344
Size:  32.2 KB

CJ4A 2WD had these spacers (made from 3.8 mm thick MS), CJ3B / CJ4A 4WD DID NOT have them, have a look:-

CJ4A 4WD Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-cj4a-4wd.jpg

CJ3B 4WD Name:  CJ3B original.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  14.4 KB

Quote:
All these reductions were visible with just wheels jacked up. Gopal had warned me that it had not gone fully but i also wanted to see how it feels and how the rest of the vehicle is also. So took it out for few days.
Rear wheels jacked up, does that mean pinion angle had changed -> resulting in reduced vibrations?

Quote:
Spikee please guide me in totality instead of riddles.
Lol! I will guide you partially

Quote:
I know that and my learning from the suffering is, i cannot run the vehicle with this vibration. It has to be fixed. Hence i asked for help.
I think the root cause is just around the corner, we will figure it out. There are so many guys with original 3B's, wonder why no one is posting pics of this part in question.

Quote:
Feared that i would have to play with diff pumpkin angle as a last resort.
Even I have my doubts, is your spring seat, shackle, differential all original? Can you post some pics of these (showing shackle angle etc) ?

Quote:
1) Was this part introduced in our desi CJ3B's. Maybe they had an inherent problem of worn out joints and did r&d to find this solution?
I am asking again, are the engine mounts similar? I doubt, otherwise the same wedge would have been seen in CJ3B's also.

Quote:
2) My vehicle even the original spacer plate is not there (from Arka's manual). Then again it might be only for 2WD
Yes, it was found on the 2WD version of CJ4A's, see this pic (dug out from the original drawings)

Name:  CJ4A 2WD.jpg
Views: 1344
Size:  32.2 KB

Quote:
4) What are the other issues with engine GB at an angle?
Usually they are supposed to be at an angle (depending on the design), if this angle is maintained, there will not be any issues.

Quote:
5) A 6 deg wedge at cross member, how much will it change the engine mount angle?
Answered reason above

Quote:
6) IS THERE A BETTER APPROACH OR WAY OUT??!
Jaggu, which shock absorbers are you using now? I see that your slip joint is well extended in unladen condition. The UJ joint angles I presume are equal and in phase.

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-gbtc0003.jpg

Spike

PS- As an Engineer, I would blindly trust the drawings any day, but when it comes to Jeeps BD Sir/ UBS Sir would be the last word for me
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 20:21   #501
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Confusion hi confusion hai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
A ground up restoration would save you time, money and frustration.
No fun then! Its a bangalore specialty to spend weekends after weekends, spent all your money on emi to mechs, risk being orphaned by family and then term it A JEEP THING!

But seriously i cant afford 4-5 lakhs restorations, am better off with few thousands here and there every quarter at this point of time. More over i get to learn alot of things. This is the best part of owning a jeep for me.

When i get the moolah in place i would buy a brand new zuki and restore DwArF for my showcase.

Quote:
Yes, wedges must be on both sides in a CJ340DP / Classic. Have a look:-
Dang!

Quote:
Correct! It also maintains the engine inclination from the front to the rear.
Correct!

You are absolutely correct regarding the inclination part. I see a lot of confusion all around, will try and explain with whatever I found out today
Dhuk dhuk......

Quote:
No sir, engine is packaged first then others follow suit. If you see this pic the GB center-line is following the engine center-line.

The spacers / wedge mentioned here are to ensure this geometry is satisfied.
dhuk dhuk dhuk dhuk dhuk......

Well if you are wondering its not the GB vibration, its my heart racing. Please forgive for the ..... posts!

Quote:
Arka is correct.
==============
CJ4A 2WD had these spacers (made from 3.8 mm thick MS), CJ3B / CJ4A 4WD DID NOT have them, have a look:-

Quote:
Rear wheels jacked up, does that mean pinion angle had changed -> resulting in reduced vibrations?
No, more since axle is articulating? I think. But yes when i first test drove with Shubz and junior mech i felt vibration marginally less due to the weight/spring compression. Don't say it is the springs!!!

Quote:
I think the root cause is just around the corner, we will figure it out. There are so many guys with original 3B's, wonder why no one is posting pics of this part in question.
Dear sir you taking time is causing me heart ache, which will soon turn into heart attack and then finally result in money!!! Spill it out!!

Quote:
Even I have my doubts, is your spring seat, shackle, differential all original? Can you post some pics of these (showing shackle angle etc)
Spring OE with 10 counts, slightly cambered. Shackles are those flat thin shiny variety which are bent at edges. But length is not doggie bone kinds, so i will call it stock. Shackle is standing ok, at a small angle projecting away from the axle? Is this correct. Vehicle is parked away so cant post pics now.

Also these parts have never been changed after i bought, so apart from re-camber process nothing has changed. Re camber did not change the vibration also. Hope this info is useful.

Quote:
I am asking again, are the engine mounts similar? I doubt, otherwise the same wedge would have been seen in CJ3B's also.
Arre baba i really dont know, and for all that matters it might have been swapped with a diesel mount by someone over the years. But i vaguely remember Raju checking these and replacing one with OE petrol ones (according to him and vague memory).

Quote:
Usually they are supposed to be at an angle (depending on the design), if this angle is maintained, there will not be any issues.
Ok that i know, but what angle for M&M CJ3B 1985 model and where should i measure that?

Quote:
Jaggu, which shock absorbers are you using now? I see that your slip joint is well extended in unladen condition. The UJ joint angles I presume are equal and in phase.
Bolero DI shocks, one which i had discussion with someone remember? Slip joint was always like this. Maybe re-cambered spring also is contributing?

Quote:
As an Engineer, I would blindly trust the drawings any day, but when it comes to Jeeps BD Sir/ UBS Sir would be the last word for me
Shame on us folks till date nobody has learned anything from them!! Chalo i will have to make call to the real men tomorrow! Just kidding.
Old 16th March 2011, 00:39   #502
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
Jaggu, this is the major disadvantage of buying a JEEP and using it with some repairs. Basically the whole process becomes never ending and you are never sure of the vehicle.
Time for you to help, is it possible to take some pictures of the Gearbox, gb main member, mounts, both the propeller shafts, joints, axles, springs and shackles of your CJ3B and post?

Same request to other CJ3B owners with no issues with transmission. Please.

Just want to do a comparison to a great jeep and get some pointers/ideas on how to resolve the issue with mine
Old 16th March 2011, 08:55   #503
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Jaggu - I am giving some clarifications on CJ3B. If pictures 3,4 and 5 of your thread number 485 are of DWARF, then your rear propeller shaft diameter is incorrect. As per original specification, it must be 44.45 mm outside diameter, means 1.75 inches. This one seems to be locally made by a lathewallah. It will not work properly. Further, engine inclination of CJ3B hurricane in North South direction is zero. The cross member mounts directly below the long member with a very thin spacer as correctly mentioned by Arka. If you play around with wedges, you will spoil the carburettor float position as well as the clutch cross shaft orientation, so please don't do it. Vibrations are also caused by incorrect transmission mount, especially the big cross bolt which is supposed to be mounted with an internal spacer to allow a little bit of flotation, but our great "ustad" mechanics ruin the dynamics completely. I had this problem on our R&D CJ3BLHD MRG7962 in 1981 and I had solved it so I know. I was able to simulate and eliminate vibration by playing around with the vehicle like this. As far as 6 degree wedge is concerned, when we did the first CJ3BRHD/LHD with XDP4.90 engine, we introduced this as it was required to lift the front of the engine to prevent interference with the front axle on layout.

Dear Pratheesh - it is good that you have dug out the original drawings. You may come across my handwriting in some places. If you see, please show me. The handwriting on the drawings you have posted seem to be of Murlidhar Garware / Sunil Patil. Garware has retired. Sunil still works in Kandivli plant.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 11:32   #504
Team-BHP Support

Thank you, thank you sirji So my pain doubles now! Time to make a call to Gopal.
Old 16th March 2011, 12:53   #505
Team-BHP Support

Update: Spoke to mech about points put forward by BD. He thanked for the info that came through, he was also fishing around for info on Petrol jeeps to understand better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Jaggu - I am giving some clarifications on CJ3B. If pictures 3,4 and 5 of your thread number 485 are of DWARF, then your rear propeller shaft diameter is incorrect. As per original specification, it must be 44.45 mm outside diameter, means 1.75 inches.
He will measure and double check before proceeding further.

Quote:
This one seems to be locally made by a lathewallah. It will not work properly. Further, engine inclination of CJ3B hurricane in North South direction is zero. The cross member mounts directly below the long member with a very thin spacer as correctly mentioned by Arka.
One thing i wanted to mention, though am also not sure if it was made or not. But the shaft is looking bad coz it was kinda scrapped off the paint, so that we can paint it properly later. I remember it had original military green on it. So looks can be deceptive. Anyways will come to know only after measurement is confirmed.

Quote:
If you play around with wedges, you will spoil the carburettor float position as well as the clutch cross shaft orientation, so please don't do it.
Plan is put on hold for now. We will try to check the shaft first, then get it back to lathe to see if its properly balanced, since there seems to be some amount of work done on it over the years. If it is a minor repairable job it will be fixed OR hunt for a replacement.

Quote:
Vibrations are also caused by incorrect transmission mount, especially the big cross bolt which is supposed to be mounted with an internal spacer to allow a little bit of flotation, but our great "ustad" mechanics ruin the dynamics completely.
Gopal also confirmed the same about mounts. So he is aware of it and will be double checking on the aspect.

Quote:
I had this problem on our R&D CJ3BLHD MRG7962 in 1981 and I had solved it so I know. I was able to simulate and eliminate vibration by playing around with the vehicle like this. As far as 6 degree wedge is concerned, when we did the first CJ3BRHD/LHD with XDP4.90 engine, we introduced this as it was required to lift the front of the engine to prevent interference with the front axle on layout.
Good info for others, if it is petrol don't bother, but diesel double check. Part is still available in shops, so it can be fixed if diesel owners want to.

Old man has taken it up as a challenge, in his words he wants to use whatever little intelligence he has to fix this. Assures me DwArF will return with a drive similar to a petrol car

Right now our suspect is drive shaft since vibrations happen in a particular speed, next is the joint assembly and the ends at gear box and differential.
Old 16th March 2011, 20:51   #506
Senior - BHPian

I am learning and also wondering.

CJ3B does not have wedges.

What should be done to take care of the steep incline angle of the propeller shaft in Jaggu's 3B?

Is it alright for it to continue to be the way it is?

How to solve the vibration issue?

There have been inputs from gurus...Arka, Sir Behram, Spike on what to do and what not to do and they are very valuable, many things we never knew.

Lets take Jaggu's case individually, I am sure he is more confused than before.

The shaft is available here if you need it.

Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 21:50   #507
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The shaft is available here if you need it.

Regards,
This is good news! Will come to know if i need to bug few people or not by weekend. Hoping it would be sorted out without the need of one, but you never know its a jeep thing
Old 16th March 2011, 22:02   #508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Further, engine inclination of CJ3B hurricane in North South direction is zero.
Quote:
CJ3B does not have wedges.
Reason for it is written above ^^, so some amount of literature study (I realized now I've found a gold mine) taught me a few things, which is now confirmed.

Quote:
How to solve the vibration issue?
Vibrations through a propeller shaft can be due to:-

a) Higher operating speed (not applicable here)
b) Improper slip length (not applicable if shaft is of original spec)
c) High / unequal operating joint angles (most probable cause with aftermarket parts)
d) Higher unbalance / run-out (quite possible)
e) Lack of grease (possible)

Quote:
What should be done to take care of the steep incline angle of the propeller shaft in Jaggu's 3B?
Frankly, the wedge placed below the spring seat fails to impress me, it should not be there in the very first place. Need to understand why?

Quote:
Is it alright for it to continue to be the way it is?
No, if it is not as per design. Some amount of slack can be tolerated but not more. Stressing again on pics of similar area in "Original CJ3B's"

Quote:
Lets take Jaggu's case individually, I am sure he is more confused than before.
Jaggu, don't loose heart see how things are getting clearer now.

I presume your engine mounts are original / as per spec, that means your set up till the gear box mounting cross member looks OK. If that is the case we need to look into the rear axle / suspension layout. What say?

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 01:26   #509
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
e) Lack of grease (possible)
Rule this out since i did re-grease with proper white grease, though it was already packed.

Quote:
I presume your engine mounts are original / as per spec, that means your set up till the gear box mounting cross member looks OK. If that is the case we need to look into the rear axle / suspension layout. What say?

Spike
I really dont know, right now i have entrusted the old man. Let us see what he comes up with. Then will decide and no not disheartened at all. Right now i have all the time and an old man who is also obsessive
Old 17th March 2011, 09:12   #510
BHPian

hi jaggu,
saw your updates after a hiatus from team bhp.
i faced similiar problem of vibrations while decelerating. the issue with my 3b was that the joints were loose and worn out. changed them and it decreased substantially. now it happens only if i suddenly take my foot off from the accelarator pedal suddenly at speeds in excess of 60kmph, else not. i presumes they must be due to high rpm with sudden loss of throttle input.
will post pictures today for sure of my setup and also will follow this to see if the remaining bit of vibration can be ironed out.
cheer up buddy...its a 3b and it wil always be in a state of evolution
docfreak is offline   Reply With Quote