Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 17th March 2011, 22:40   #526
BHPian

Default Re: Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

Spikee the Munnar jeep had a custom prop? Where is that Star?!
Are you asking for star joint(UJ) or me??

it would have been chopped from 540's. AFAIK the original one has the pipe dia smaller than the one shown by spikey and feels like a rod instead of hollow tube. I remember getting a original one from ShivajiNagar for my friend's cj3b which was thinner than this and when i checked with rear, its length and dia was same.

Are the front and rear have same length in a CJ3B??
star_aqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 08:14   #527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Are the front and rear have same length in a CJ3B??
AFAIK, it is the same. Thats the beauty of the 3B
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 08:50   #528
BHPian

My CJ-3B has the thin rod-like prop-shaft up front. Ignite Raghav was telling me that he wasn't so sure of it's strength so getting a thicker tube type prop-shaft now.
gsferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 10:06   #529
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Prop shafts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
This is the second most important part- "Imbalance". Can you share how this is done? How do they locate regions of high / low mass?

Off late I have seen a few incidents of propeller shaft twisting, does it have any connections? Have a look:-

Attachment 518969

Attachment 518970

Here, the leaf springs seem to have contributed but still.
Hi Spike,

I have not seen how they check for imbalance/unbalance.

Just saw the Prop-Shaft pro's welding small strip so I enquired.

The Above pic is quite similar to what I faced Aavalakonda 2010.

When the Differential Pinion pitches severely 10,20,30 degrees due to Leaf Spring failure, or spring saddle failure, then the Prop-Shaft is bound to shear.

It is best to grease the Prop-Shafts 3-4 Times a wear, and once immediately after a water dunking.

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by ex670c : 18th March 2011 at 10:09.
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 12:07   #530
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
My CJ-3B has the thin rod-like prop-shaft up front. Ignite Raghav was telling me that he wasn't so sure of it's strength so getting a thicker tube type prop-shaft now.
Same here front is diff and rear is thicker. You can rewind 2 pages to see the pics and the difference.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 12:52   #531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
It is best to grease the Prop-Shafts 3-4 Times a wear
Arka, couldnt understand, did you mean a year?
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 12:57   #532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Arka, couldnt understand, did you mean a year?
Santosh Saar!!!!

What do you think

Grease the Prop-Shafts 3-4 Times a YEAR.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 17:01   #533
Team-BHP Support

Progress has not happened since old man was busy with Shubz jeep. Though we started and ran the vehicle on jack. First gear vibration cannot be made out, video in first gear.

But when top gear is engaged while slowing down it can be felt. Also the earlier problem of slight ticking can be heard at 2 and 3 gear, good that it was easily replicated. Now gopal can attend, earlier Raju had put in 2 set of packing for gear box lever top to stop this. The assembly unit though new is the suspect.

Now the question that comes to mind is whether the bigger dia shaft cause this. What is the effect of bigger dia? Will it increase such vibration or reduce it. ie if i first rule out any phase issues and balance the shaft, will it work?

The shaft running on DwArF is 2.5 inch dia (approx), where as the Shubz 60 CJ3B has 1.8 inch dia shaft.

I measured both, picture of Shubz CJ3B's propeller shaft.
Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-eng0012.jpg

Vs DwArF's 2.5 inch, mine is bigger
Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-gbtc0005.jpg

Also the picture of engine mount.
Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-eng0004.jpg
Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-eng0003.jpg

Rear shackles.
Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-eng0005.jpg
Old 19th March 2011, 20:40   #534
Senior - BHPian

Shubz prop shaft looks a genuine piece. And i'll leave it to the experts to comment on yours
Old 19th March 2011, 21:28   #535
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Shubz prop shaft looks a genuine piece. And i'll leave it to the experts to comment on yours
Ok and i would need help in identifying the shaft in my vehicle also. It has weight attached, which indicates its an OE thing, also the welding it cant be a local lathe job. Is it the prop from CJ340?
Old 21st March 2011, 10:47   #536
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Jaggu - I am giving some clarifications on CJ3B. If pictures 3,4 and 5 of your thread number 485 are of DWARF, then your rear propeller shaft diameter is incorrect. As per original specification, it must be 44.45 mm outside diameter, means 1.75 inches. This one seems to be locally made by a lathewallah. It will not work properly. Further, engine inclination of CJ3B hurricane in North South direction is zero. The cross member mounts directly below the long member with a very thin spacer as correctly mentioned by Arka. If you play around with wedges, you will spoil the carburettor float position as well as the clutch cross shaft orientation, so please don't do it. Vibrations are also caused by incorrect transmission mount, especially the big cross bolt which is supposed to be mounted with an internal spacer to allow a little bit of flotation, but our great "ustad" mechanics ruin the dynamics completely. I had this problem on our R&D CJ3BLHD MRG7962 in 1981 and I had solved it so I know. I was able to simulate and eliminate vibration by playing around with the vehicle like this. As far as 6 degree wedge is concerned, when we did the first CJ3BRHD/LHD with XDP4.90 engine, we introduced this as it was required to lift the front of the engine to prevent interference with the front axle on layout.

Dear Pratheesh - it is good that you have dug out the original drawings. You may come across my handwriting in some places. If you see, please show me. The handwriting on the drawings you have posted seem to be of Murlidhar Garware / Sunil Patil. Garware has retired. Sunil still works in Kandivli plant.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Jaggu - answers to all your recent queries are given here. Please revert if you need any more information.

PLEASE REPLACE DWARF'S PROPELLER SHAFT. IT IS NOT ORIGINAL. I CAN SEE IT IN THE PHOTOGRAPHS.

Don't worry, your vehicle will become good like Sharath's vehicle. Only thing is that finally almost everything will get replaced. It's a Jeep thing so it's worth it. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 12:32   #537
Senior - BHPian

@DB Sir: How and where do we get the "original" parts for a vehicle like the "original" 3B?

Or is the local fabricator the only hope for a "original" part
Old 21st March 2011, 13:32   #538
Team-BHP Support

Yeah same question, and am in coimbatore for next 2 days. Any leads for shops where i can hunt for the prop shaft?
Old 21st March 2011, 15:23   #539
Senior - BHPian

^^ If you are in Coimbatore, get in touch with Rohan aka Jeep George, he must be having local contacts there.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 16:38   #540
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Jaggu - in Coimbatore, go to Alagendran Motor Stores. It is a huge auto parts shop on the main road. The owner's name is Srinivasan. Exactly 11 years and one month ago, I had purchased Maruti 800 parts worth more than Rs. 1 lakh from him (don't ask why, you may take an educated guess though. This is what we mean when we say that everything is before people's eyes but they still don't look! Now think of a similarity which exists in the model that we are giving you today). Alagendran Motor Stores is a very resourceful place full of surprises, so give it a try.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote