Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 21st March 2011, 16:45   #541
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.

Oh i know Alagendran's. Have been to them couple of times in the past, about a decade back will check up. I had mentioned the same name to SVSanthosh when i called him up yesterday lol
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 17:24   #542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Now think of a similarity which exists in the model that we are giving you today

Sir, What model - what similarity - THAR? Even then what about Wheel Base?
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 17:52   #543
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Vikram - I purchased Maruti 800 psrts 11 years back. Please put 2 and 2 together. You will get the answer. As far as Thar is concerned, similar analogy applies to something that everybody wants on Thar.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 19:27   #544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yeah same question, and am in coimbatore for next 2 days. Any leads for shops where i can hunt for the prop shaft?
Also try aditya auto stores, they are also a part of alagendra.

Ask anyone in Coimbatore and they can guide you.

If you have time also try visiting Ukkadam market. Second hand market, sometimes you are bound to find many interesting things there.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 19:59   #545
Team-BHP Support

Ok I tried both the shops, Alagendran is now known as Dhanam and they wanted to know the length. So I called up UBS and he took the pain of getting down and measuring the actual length!!! Now you know why we all adore him

Length of the tube between welds is 8.5" and yoke to yoke around 18.5 after slight expansion of spline. Dhanam guy went in and fished a shiny piece, but tube is 9.5 and fully collapsed is 19+". They have no clue which model this is for, cost 3200 approximately. Decided to check some more option, bit of enquiry pointed me to Aditya.

Shared the length and the guy appeared with a scarred piece, but same issue fully collapsed length is 19" and tube itself between the weld is 9.5". Did some close inspection which revealed that it is from a MM540, it had a faded hand written label. Cost 2300 bucks.

Dia looks like it's 1.8" but both the shops were advising that I pick it up and chop it, but then why purchase a new piece and that too from here?

After a bad sleepless journey yesterday, I did not have the energy to hunt further. Called up few others in between but they were not available . Updated UBS about my hunt and he has offered to help me procure a good piece if need be. Have taken a rain check for this, will trouble him as a last resort.

Would like to share my appreciation for UBS for all the assistance he offers to us jeepers! Really he is truly a great person!

EDIT: saw Arka's post in CJ3B thread, it says length as 19 and 7/8" end to end (I assume) if so the shafts that I saw would be 1 to 2 inch longer. Since I measured from the centre of joints and the joint at tc end itself is addition. One twisted idea, since DwArF is standing taller, will a 540 shaft squeeze in?

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st March 2011 at 20:19.
Old 22nd March 2011, 01:05   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Jaggu - in Coimbatore, go to Alagendran Motor Stores. It is a huge auto parts shop on the main road. The owner's name is Srinivasan.

Alagendran Motor Stores is a very resourceful place full of surprises, so give it a try.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
I fully second Behramji. They are full of surprises. It is one of the shops in India where you can still pick-up parts for Yamaha RD 350.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 08:12   #547
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm

I fully second Behramji. They are full of surprises. It is one of the shops in India where you can still pick-up parts for Yamaha RD
2 wheeler is different shop from 4 wheeler and that too has changed name.
Old 22nd March 2011, 16:22   #548
BHPian

just checked my prop length its slightly more than 50cm as posted by arka and also look much thinner than what urs look like jaggu as i couldnt measure the dia so i am just takin a visual comparison.
the round drum like thing at the anterior end of the prop in the pic u posted is for the handbrake? i dont have one, so i am trying to confirm, as in my setup the prop leaves from the t case without that drum like contraption attached.

my jeep is off for a fuel tank hange so the pics arent there but soon shall post them.

jaggu u have brought the lmelight on the props for sure
docfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 18:00   #549
Senior - BHPian

My prop shaft is now on yours. Gopal still not happy. Now my tires would go on to yours. Will have to see the result.
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 18:37   #550
Team-BHP Support

Oh so did it make a difference? Any idea? As in you drove, coz you will only know if it's feeling like your jeep?
Old 22nd March 2011, 18:49   #551
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately I did not drive. But the look on Gopals face told me he is not happy. So lets see what unfolds. If you want me to go there tomorrow and drive it, I could do it for you.
Old 22nd March 2011, 18:55   #552
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
My prop shaft is now on yours. Gopal still not happy. Now my tires would go on to yours. Will have to see the result.
Gopal is leaving nothing unturned here, nice to know about the swap and test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Oh so did it make a difference? Any idea? As in you drove, coz you will only know if it's feeling like your jeep?
I can arrange for a TD of a STOCK 1955 LHD CJ3B if you need.

Maybe it would make things easier by making a thorough inspection of actual stuffs in Actual places.

Do let me know if you need to.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 19:30   #553
Team-BHP Support

@Shubz: spoke to Gopal now, yes he is not very happy but mentioned that after the tyre change things are much better. I am planning to visit tomorrow during lunch time and take a test drive along with Gopal. Will meet up if you are there, also if you are visiting at some other time feel free to take it for a spin and comment.

@Pavan: thank you, will buzz you if we need further reference, one way am glad that Shubz jeep is there it has all the stuff and in right place.

Plot thickens and shaft needs to be thinner! Lol
Old 22nd March 2011, 20:03   #554
Senior - BHPian

Glad to be of help! I will be there by 1 pm max (hoping even earlier) and we can discuss it together. Am glad you are nearing the end of your prop shaft saga!
Old 23rd March 2011, 18:58   #555
Team-BHP Support

So i visited Gopal and DwArF was standing there with OE prop shaft a different set of tyres and rims. The difference was there, the vibration at slow speeds (10-30 kmph) while decelerating is almost nill and while accelerating i could not figure out, so its definitely improved.

So what do we do with prop shaft to make it OE, coz it sure is contributing to the trouble.

Meanwhile just for comparison the two yokes, the one on left is from shubz jeep where as one on right is from my jeep. Latter is thicker and longer, adding to weight at the least. next was shaft, the tube part is shorter but thicker in dia. Same with yoke at other end, its bigger. Both the yoke and shaft had markings of MES or something? and from the looks of the weld the job really looks good. If its a lathe job, is it possible to achieve such a good weld job? Not even color change on the metal, atleast at the border of welded area??

There is a saying in malayalam. Nanaju irangi, ini kulitchu keraam. Means: Anyways we got wet, now lets get drenched! and fix it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd March 2011 at 19:21.