Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 23rd March 2011, 19:07   #556
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.

Looks like an oil painting, even has oil as part of the image.

What's with two different size prop shafts? I mean which one is the right one?
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 19:26   #557
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Looks like an oil painting, even has oil as part of the image.

What's with two different size prop shafts? I mean which one is the right one?
Yeah its a bloody messy greased up oil painting only

This is the OE shaft
Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-eng0012.jpg

And this is NOT, according to experts
Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-gbtc0005.jpg

And what we realized is that even the yoke is NOT, atleast it is not the one that comes in CJ's.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 00:38   #558
Senior - BHPian

So what happens now? Let me know the length of the prop shaft you need and I will check availability in Madurai.
jyobeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 00:53   #559
BANNED

This is what happens when you go to Gopal.

Its either RIGHT or it will get RIGHT........

I have seen a few engine rebuild he does, though he's not good at locating and sourcing spares, he's just great at setting things right.

One of my Doc friend needed few parts for his Mustang engine, all gopal sir did was give me a detailed explanation of the part, the way its designed and the way it works, it took me a good 4 hours to get the right thing he needed.

It may take much more longer there, but you must be assured, that the right kind of work is definately happening on your ride...
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 01:07   #560
Senior - BHPian

Pavan sir - I sincerely hope your line is not heard by the powers above (that he is not good at sourcing spares). For I am hoping he doesn't run into any issues while procuring spares (I believe he sources them from TN).

So far he has been able to source stuff like main shaft, ring gear etc (it could've been from bangalore itself). Just hoping he doesn't get stuck sourcing parts for the engine - now that it is dismantled to its last bolt.

Hope I have everybody's prayers with me

Just to add one more of my cent to PK's line - Earlier changing gears was bit of an effort. Now after Gopal sir's touch - its just "clicks" that I got to deal with to change gears.

Last edited by Eddy : 27th March 2011 at 15:20. Reason: extra smiley
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 23:13   #561
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
So what happens now? Let me know the length of the prop shaft you need and I will check availability in Madurai.
Thanks jyobeb, will get in touch if need be. Right now old man is working out something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
This is what happens when you go to Gopal.

Its either RIGHT or it will get RIGHT........

I have seen a few engine rebuild he does, though he's not good at locating and sourcing spares, he's just great at setting things right.
Thanks Pawan, so far so good and hopefully we are heading in the right direction. With my jeep work never faced any parts issue with him, he has somehow managed to get all the parts. Sometimes even repeatedly sending a fake part back, which was pushed across

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Pavan sir - I sincerely hope your line is not heard by the powers above (that he is not good at sourcing spares). For I am hoping he doesn't run into any issues while procuring spares (I believe he sources them from TN).
Yup he was confident in getting the parts, though warned of some delays if the part is very rare. I think he has managed to make good contacts over the years for oldie vehicles.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th March 2011 at 23:27.
Old 25th March 2011, 19:24   #562
Senior - BHPian

The news about Dwarf is -- He got the prop shaft weighed - it seems it is 5+ kgs - not sure what the actual weight of a worriginal shaft is. Just to check - i said, when you know it is the shaft issue - why not replace it - and Old man said - it is easy to just replace the shaft but i want to know what is causing the issue - something like root cause analysis done in the IT sector
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 19:43   #563
Team-BHP Support

5+ Kilo!!! Even the prop shaft i saw in CBE was some 3-4 kilo!! Anyway we had decided that its going out, only replacement we had not decided which route to take.

Let us see, i am meeting him tomorrow.
Old 26th March 2011, 17:00   #564
Team-BHP Support

Usual weekend visit and this time the M&M parts guy also landed up, he identified the part (prop shaft) as once sold for diesel versions. He is hopeful to get some 3B props itself, he apparently gave 8 of them to some chap from hyderabad few months back. Still he said he will try, 19 inchers when collapsed with 1.8 inch dia tube.

The gear box top has been fixed, now they slot as they should click click click with minimal throw and no krr in 2 and 3. Apparently the brand new top had misaligned forks, about 1/2 inch off from specs, which was pushing the gear wheels.
Old 27th March 2011, 13:51   #565
Team-BHP Support

Phew finally! Gopal managed to pick up a second hand but original shaft assembly, including yokes in good condition yesterday. Only the joints new one were put and vehicle ready for trial today morning.

I made a quick dash for it and am relieved. Vibrations are almost zero, need to run a lil bit and see how it works out after the joints etc set in properly. Have given him a set of fine tuning stuff, to do and mid week i should be bringing DwArF home!

Already next plans we have discussed. Disc brake with booster set up But after a while only lol

Picture of the new but old propeller shaft.
Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-img_0278.jpg

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-img_0279.jpg

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-img_0280.jpg

The older ones (thicker dia) are from diesel jeep, so Fazal saab you dont have to worry, you have the correct part in your project jeep.
Old 27th March 2011, 15:00   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Vibrations are almost zero.
The older ones (thicker dia) are from diesel jeep, so Fazal saab you dont have to worry, you have the correct part in your project jeep.
Congrats Jaggu,
So it was the shaft all along?
This shaft on my Jeep was there when I picked it up with a Hurricane, it had no vibration issues even then.
I will need to change it as the spline is stretched out and will surely encounter problems later, during articulation.

I have a 3B manual which reads exactly as below:
" When reinstalling, note that the slip joints are marked with arrows, at the spline and sleeve yoke. Align the arrows so that the yokes of the universal joints at the front and th rear of each shaft are in the same plane, when assembled to avoid vibrations".

I am showing the arrows to be aligned in red for better clarity in my
digram representation as in the manual.
Regards,
Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-untitled.jpg
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 15:27   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Phew finally! Gopal managed to pick up a second hand but original shaft assembly, including yokes in good condition yesterday. Only the joints new one were put and vehicle ready for trial today morning.
Good to know that the culprit is finally caught. I told earlier that you are very close, you and Gopal must be feeling good now

Quote:
Wait a minute! Jaggu can you give dimensions of the length (of your old propeller shaft / Shubz / new installed one) marked in the below pic? The length 'L' represents distance between welds on the tube.

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-eng0012.jpg

I may have something to add on.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 23:27   #568
Team-BHP Support

Old one was chopped up, i have to check if he has the piece with him. But i can get the dimension of Shubz and my DwArF's new one when i go for delivery. UBS mentioned it to be 8.5" from the one he measured for guiding me over phone.
Old 28th March 2011, 08:47   #569
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu, 8.5" for the dimension marked above? If yes, then the genuineness of this part is still iffy, remember me telling you regarding the spacer placed below the spring seats? (doesn't matter now as your problem seems to be resolved). The original CJ3B with 3 speed T/m had this dimension as 9 15/32" (this means your splined yoke end would be lesser extended when installed). How is it now, when the vehicle is on a level ground?

There were other similar looking propeller shafts which had different dimensions, so there are possibilities your older shaft was derived from one of them. Other models were:- CJ5 IRAN with 4G54, IRAN 80" with 4G54, CJ3B with KIA 4 speed, CJ500D 4WD 3 speed, CJ500D 2WD 3 speed, FC 150 / 160 / 360.

Spike

PS- Thank you DwArF!

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 28th March 2011 at 08:56. Reason: add info
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 12:06   #570
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Jaggu, 8.5" for the dimension marked above? If yes, then the genuineness of this part is still iffy, remember me telling you regarding the spacer placed below the spring seats? (doesn't matter now as your problem seems to be resolved). The original CJ3B with 3 speed T/m had this dimension as 9 15/32" (this means your splined yoke end would be lesser extended when installed). How is it now, when the vehicle is on a level ground?
8.5" is for the measurement between the two welds you shown ^^, is what UBS measured and informed me over phone, when i called him for info from CBE shop. I have NOT taken measurement between the 2 welds in the current prop shaft. Will do that next time i visit

The picture shows how it is when it is parked in slightly tilted to right position but on level ground Its much better compared to older shaft, though older shaft always looked extended due to the shorter length of the tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
There were other similar looking propeller shafts which had different dimensions, so there are possibilities your older shaft was derived from one of them. Other models were:- CJ5 IRAN with 4G54, IRAN 80" with 4G54, CJ3B with KIA 4 speed, CJ500D 4WD 3 speed, CJ500D 2WD 3 speed, FC 150 / 160 / 360.
Yes that is what the M&M parts dealer also told us.