Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 28th March 2011, 16:16   #571
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.

Dear Jaggu - now that you have caught the culprit, , please conduct one more trial after removing the rotating hand brake drum. You will be very surprised at the result. By the way, you have still not provided the answer of the total slip available and the extended slip seen outside the yoke in static condition. Please conduct articulation test and verify that length is adequate. As seen, the length seems inadequate.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 16:29   #572
Senior - BHPian

Hi Behram Sir,

After getting my HB drum slightly damaged in a Obstacle I decided to remove it. The whole unit was close to 5-7Kgs. That much dead weight on the Prop Shaft should have weighed things down, right? I cant really say what is better now (earlier GB bearings were busted), but I am assuming the vibrations, if any, would go away?
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 16:54   #573
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Santosh - ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. YOU ARE AN EXPERT.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 28th March 2011, 17:27   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Santosh - ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. YOU ARE AN EXPERT.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DB Sir, A silly question..
If the HB drum causes such issues, why is it on the prop shaft and not on the rear wheels?

Hope your creation [read THAR] has the HB working on the rear wheels.

Please clarify
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 18:04   #575
Senior - BHPian

Behram sir, please dont bring a embarrased look on my face, I have learnt a lot from you... but thanks

And Behram, to answer Vikram, was it the diesel pot that made the vibrations more pronounced and thus ensured a R&D'd solution on the classic?
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 20:43   #576
Team-BHP Support

No more experiments now. Get the smaller niggles fixed and drive around. When finance minister approves, go for front disc and rear bigger drums. At that time i might be able to chuck out the drum brake at gearbox and move to proper rear hand brakes. For now i need hand brakes!

DB i never got the time or was present to measure anything, so right now i dont have any figures. But surely will try to post up in couple of days, for both your's and spikee's listed items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Jaggu - now that you have caught the culprit, , please conduct one more trial after removing the rotating hand brake drum. You will be very surprised at the result. By the way, you have still not provided the answer of the total slip available and the extended slip seen outside the yoke in static condition. Please conduct articulation test and verify that length is adequate. As seen, the length seems inadequate.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 21:20   #577
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Jaggu for having the sound issue resolved! The parts guy seemed reliable unlike many we have seen who always say "yea yea I got it all" but deliver nothing!

Glad to know the DwArF would be rolling out of the kaccha road and on to more kaccha terrains!
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 21:35   #578
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Santosh - if you feel that I have offended you in any way, I assure you that it was not intentional, so dude, sorry! . And yes, please see the Thar DI thread. Same comments apply there also.

Dear Vikram - there is nothing like a "silly question", so don't worry. When CJ3B was designed, the "Great CMVR' was not even born. Today, we have to meet a plethora of tests which were unheard of at that time.

Dear Jaggu - enough R&D has been done on your vehicle, just drive the DWARF now and enjoy it. I'll try and find some time to drive it when I am in Bangalore next time. Just tell your technician to remove the handbrake drum. It is a 15 minute job if done properly. Even if the drum is there, the handbrake is not going to be very effective but by driving before and after removing the drum, you and I will learn, and I will never stop learning. Please tell himto refit the propeller shaft "exactly" as he had removed it, even each nut going in the same spot. If threads are insufficient, add 4 washers of equal thickness and diameter to act as spacers.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 28th March 2011, 22:45   #579
Team-BHP Support

@DB: For the time being hand brakes stay, and my technician has done a pretty decent job and made it pretty efficient also. We will do this study with next phase, now its time for DwArF to run circles around _ _ _ _ in mud instead of garage's

Certain someone has to give me the tyres also!!! I seriously want to throw the NDMS away!
Old 28th March 2011, 23:09   #580
Senior - BHPian

Let me know when the FM approves! I can send you a 4.88 ratio front diff assembly with discs and a LSD rear diff (but with centered pumpkin), both off my 550!
jyobeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 00:38   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
@DB: For the time being hand brakes stay, and my technician has done a pretty decent job and made it pretty efficient also. We will do this study with next phase, now its time for DwArF to run circles around _ _ _ _ in mud instead of garage's

Certain someone has to give me the tyres also!!! I seriously want to throw the NDMS away!
Continue bugging Viji for the tires! am sure he'd give in soon!
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 07:57   #582
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu ^^ first get approval from FM for a good set of tires then worry about brake mods.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 10:25   #583
Team-BHP Support

Yup that ^^ is the order of priority Spike. Tyres are a major handicap in this vehicle, after having driven with both NDMS and Trepadors. Trepadors are miles ahead on road safety and offroad performance, only issue is lesser turning radius coz the steering stopper has to be adjusted to prevent the rubber from touching the spring leafs.
Old 29th March 2011, 13:24   #584
BHPian

Jaggu, if and when you are upgrading your Jeep s tires, i need your old NDMS tires. I will pay for them.
Frankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 14:55   #585
Team-BHP Support

Ok will inform you also, but i have a feeling that someone already is in the Q. These are 6x16, please note.