Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 29th March 2011, 15:21   #586
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.

Jaggu - Does your front brake have a 1-cylinder or a 2-cylinder setup? Easy to check, just look at # of brake pipe/lines running around the REAR of your FRONT brake carrier plates. I am guessing 1 each.

Try two cyl plates- then you may avoid the need for a disc. Let me know if more info is required...
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 16:12   #587
Senior - BHPian

^^ Please add to prev post^^
---------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Santosh - if you feel that I have offended you in any way
Oh no Behram, just that I am no way close a expert and still learning a lot of new things...
---------------

Jaggu, see below pic, this is from pg.6. This is the rear setup, the front may be the same in your case, you can change the carrier plate to accomodate two cylinders and this will ensure the brake pads contact patch increase to 100%, (from the current, what 40%??, it cant be 50%)...

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-img_0997.jpg
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 17:55   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Jaggu - Does your front brake have a 1-cylinder or a 2-cylinder setup? Easy to check, just look at # of brake pipe/lines running around the REAR of your FRONT brake carrier plates. I am guessing 1 each.

Try two cyl plates- then you may avoid the need for a disc. Let me know if more info is required...

I am using the double wheel cylinder and double master cylinder setup in my Jeep. It is an over kill for the Jeep. A proper job with the existing smaller brakes setup is more than enough.

Disc brakes have an advantage in rains, drums are a pain to drive in rains, have to continuously tap the pedal to keep the drums dry .

Jaggu i have made a mistake by upgrading tires, now i want to get back to stock setup.
Frankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 19:56   #589
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Jaggu, see below pic, this is from pg.6. This is the rear setup, the front may be the same in your case, you can change the carrier plate to accomodate two cylinders and this will ensure the brake pads contact patch increase to 100%, (from the current, what 40%??, it cant be 50%)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
I am using the double wheel cylinder and double master cylinder setup in my Jeep. It is an over kill for the Jeep. A proper job with the existing smaller brakes setup is more than enough.
The whole point of disc brake is for below mentioned stuff. Otherwise am very happy with brakes, though lil hard compared to my car. It stops the tyres, only issue is the NDMS howls and starts skidding lol

Quote:
Disc brakes have an advantage in rains, drums are a pain to drive in rains, have to continuously tap the pedal to keep the drums dry .
Exactly why i would want disc's.

Quote:
Jaggu i have made a mistake by upgrading tires, now i want to get back to stock setup.
Which tyres do you have? you mean 7x16 or something else? I thought 7x16 are the best for 3B, atleast as per guru's??
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 20:17   #590
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - "double wheel cylinders" in drum brakes make both liners "leading" whereas a single wheel cylinder makes one liner leading and one liner trailing. Technically they are known as HLSS and HNSS brakes. HLSS will give slightly better performance as compared to HNSS.

Dear Jaggu - please be very very careful when you convert drums to discs. Discs will require booster and therefore suspended pedals with consequent changes. I have given some information in Fazalbhai's CJ3B thread. It wil also call for changing the steering knuckle as the KPI with discs is different (more). We will provide details shortly. PLEASE DO PROPERLY OR ELSE PLEASE DO NOT DO.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 20:21   #591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the rear setup, the front may be the same in your case, you can change the carrier plate to accomodate two cylinders
This is a simplex brake system. 2 wheel cylinder combination ^^ - is that a Duplex or Duo duplex type?

Quote:
and this will ensure the brake pads contact patch increase to 100%, (from the current, what 40%??, it cant be 50%)...
Santosh, I presume you are referring to the brake liners. Brake liners / shoes have a "effective shoe area". If you don't change the liner do you think there will be 100% contact? If yes, then for which liners?

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 20:45   #592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

You are talking about a twin leading vs a leading-trailing arrangement. Contact area remains the same for both. Leading shoes have self servo properties. And almost useless in reverse. (So rear wheels, on which handbrakes operate, are leading-trailing type.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 21:28   #593
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
PLEASE DO PROPERLY OR ELSE PLEASE DO NOT DO.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Long way to go before disc conversion happens and me and my mech knows about the complexity including booster and floating pedals and we left it after discussing the details. Next phase only after few months at the least i guess.

I was tempted for the double cylinder set up, but not really worth it for my petrol CJ3B
Old 29th March 2011, 21:47   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Dear all - "double wheel cylinders" in drum brakes make both liners "leading" whereas a single wheel cylinder makes one liner leading and one liner trailing. Technically they are known as HLSS and HNSS brakes. HLSS will give slightly better performance as compared to HNSS.

Dear Jaggu - please be very very careful when you convert drums to discs. Discs will require booster and therefore suspended pedals with consequent changes. I have given some information in Fazalbhai's CJ3B thread. It wil also call for changing the steering knuckle as the KPI with discs is different (more). We will provide details shortly. PLEASE DO PROPERLY OR ELSE PLEASE DO NOT DO.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Hi DB sir, a few of our Jeeps are using brake boosters with the drum setup.
There is no need to suspend the pedals if the booster from the tata 407 is used.
Frankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 22:30   #595
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is no need to suspend the pedals if the booster from the tata 407 is used.
Picture please.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 22:42   #596
Team-BHP Support

You know what Frank this is exactly what we also planned, same ol pedal with booster assist Thanks for the lead with exact part!
Old 29th March 2011, 22:50   #597
Senior - BHPian

And when are you taking the DwArF home?
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 00:45   #598
Team-BHP Support

Lil busy at work, tomorrow or day after i will pick him up.
Old 30th March 2011, 01:57   #599
Senior - BHPian

If it is on Thursday, please let me know around what time would you be visiting the garage. I will time my visit accordingly. Thanks Jaggu. And if it is tomorrow (since I cannot make it), would really appreciate if you could check if anything is happening with my Jeep.

Last edited by Shubz : 30th March 2011 at 02:04.
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 15:29   #600
Team-BHP Support

OT: ^^ Dont think it will happen today, tomorrow seems more likely. Will let you know when am coming over.