Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 5th April 2011, 10:32   #601
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.

And he is back!

Painted the front differential also black, fixed a bonnet lock, some fine tuning, and a shorter accelerator pedal. DwArF is performing really well, superb power delivery and i guess the FE also seems to have improved a bit (will update the figure by the end of the week).

One thing that came up during chit chat over the weekend was the inclusion of a 4 speed gearbox upgrade when i start with disc brake etc. I understand it will need an adapter plate etc to fit the Hurricane engine. What is the recommendation of the guru's?

As far as vibration goes, its 95% of the times zero. Only at a very narrow band while deceleration (accelerator absolutely cut) there is a slight vibration. This i can live with and hopefully will reduce once i run in the new parts. But overall the jeep drives like a dream, a go kart as DKG calls it.

Gopal kept the idle so low that sometimes it becomes difficult to realize if the engine is running or not, esp in traffic. For now i have increased it to 600 RPM, it was at 400 and would still hold a lower RPMs. Forget half crank, just touch the starter and the long stroke engine wakes up. Gopal wanted me to demo this to Rudra

But first things first, hunt for a decent set of tyres!
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 10:41   #602
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Gopal wanted me to demo this to Rudra
And Gopal says it cannot be done in my ISUZU engine because of it's stroke difference.. ):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
And rims..
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 20:08   #603
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu - Congrats on the DwArF! Am glad it is no longer baking under the sun.

Touch crank and low idling - Thats my objective too! The way I used to crank my Jeep, another few hundred KM's and I would've had a twisted ignition key!

So I hope I will still see you @ Gopals over the weekend?
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 23:09   #604
BHPian

Quote:
And he is back!

Painted the front differential also black, fixed a bonnet lock, some fine tuning, and a shorter accelerator pedal. DwArF is performing really well, superb power delivery and i guess the FE also seems to have improved a bit (will update the figure by the end of the week).

One thing that came up during chit chat over the weekend was the inclusion of a 4 speed gearbox upgrade when i start with disc brake etc. I understand it will need an adapter plate etc to fit the Hurricane engine. What is the recommendation of the guru's?

As far as vibration goes, its 95% of the times zero. Only at a very narrow band while deceleration (accelerator absolutely cut) there is a slight vibration. This i can live with and hopefully will reduce once i run in the new parts. But overall the jeep drives like a dream, a go kart as DKG calls it.

Gopal kept the idle so low that sometimes it becomes difficult to realize if the engine is running or not, esp in traffic. For now i have increased it to 600 RPM, it was at 400 and would still hold a lower RPMs. Forget half crank, just touch the starter and the long stroke engine wakes up. Gopal wanted me to demo this to Rudra

Jaggu , i too thought of the 4 speed transmission kmt90 idea. Adapter plate is not an issue. It can be done , go for it.

Is your fire wall cut already? if not you need to chop the firewall for the bigger gearbox to fit. You would need to shorten the prop shafts too.

The hurricane would have awesome crawl ratio with the shorter 1st gear .

Since you are deep into it , why dont you upgrade to the isuzu MUA5 5 speed gearbox , identical ratios to the KMT 90 and also you get a 5th gear for cruising, we can do 100km all day long without straining the engine.

Low idle is good for onroad use and to show your friends how silent the engine is , but its a pain offroad especially while crawling , the engine goes off to often.

My isuzu used to start in half crank and dont ask me how cause i dont know

Last edited by Frankenstein : 5th April 2011 at 23:10.
Frankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 23:26   #605
Team-BHP Support

@Shubz: yes we will be around since the amby is in now

@Frankie: Firewall untouched. Isuzu gearbox mean i will have to replace the TC also, or is the existing TC can be fixed and where do i source this GB? Anyways this is still in very early planning phase now.
Old 5th April 2011, 23:51   #606
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu - GB etc - I have a couple of contacts in Bangalore. Not sure if they will have it ready in stock, but surely worth giving it a try. I will share their contact details when we meet next.
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 00:27   #607
BHPian

Jaggu , the isuzu comes with its own transfercase, it can be sourced, when you need just give a buzz.
Its a synchromesh too and the NVH is leagues ahead of the crappy old GB we use.
Isuzu GB has low ratio crawler gear set available online too.
Old 6th April 2011, 10:15   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
Jaggu , i too thought of the 4 speed transmission kmt90 idea. Adapter plate is not an issue. It can be done , go for it.
Hi Jaggu,

Why don't you try to get a Bell-Housing for F4-134 to KMT90 as used in the MM440.

Another cheaper option is to go in for the Low-Ratio T-90 used in CJ4 & FJ Trucks. This also eliminates the need for cutting the gearbox shield to fit the Gear Levers, since the transmission is pushed back by 1.5inches approx.

Post 1983c the "Diesel" Gear Box Shield & Firewall was adopted on all CJ models. Earlier they had a lower shield for the Petrol Engines and a Taller one for B275 engines.

IIRC Mr.MP Sreenivasan has fitted a KMT-90 on his CJ3B.

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by ex670c : 6th April 2011 at 10:29.
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 10:32   #609
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu why are you doing all this to your Jeep? A CJ3B is as close it can get to being perfect for the job. Why the need to alter it so much?

Honestly I find no need to alter my CJ3B, even the brakes are just fine. If I want something modern I'll just buy a Thar, which in any case I will when the a/c version comes out. But the CJ3B in its original form is a gem

Don't you think so?
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 11:43   #610
Team-BHP Support

First of all thank you gentlemen for answering to my questions.

Quote:
Jaggu , the isuzu comes with its own transfercase, it can be sourced, when you need just give a buzz.
Ok this would be option 2, for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Why don't you try to get a Bell-Housing for F4-134 to KMT90 as used in the MM440.
==============
Post 1983c the "Diesel" Gear Box Shield & Firewall was adopted on all CJ models. Earlier they had a lower shield for the Petrol Engines and a Taller one for B275 engines.
Thanks this is the first option. Arka one doubt though, so you mean since mine is a 1985 the shield will not be an issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Jaggu why are you doing all this to your Jeep? A CJ3B is as close it can get to being perfect for the job. Why the need to alter it so much?

Honestly I find no need to alter my CJ3B, even the brakes are just fine. If I want something modern I'll just buy a Thar, which in any case I will when the a/c version comes out. But the CJ3B in its original form is a gem

Don't you think so?
This is an attempt to modernize the CJ3B, very honestly these are "just" some ideas running in my head right now. And to be very honest the GB and brakes come into play or become an issue only when i hit the highway, esp with the Gypsy and 550 boys.

Basically i need a better cruising, right now with the short ratio and 3 speed GB engine peaks up too early on road. It still remains to be seen how this story is going to unfold, maybe a Jimny or Gypsy might just completely alter the plan. Thar no way @ 7.3 lakhs!
Old 6th April 2011, 12:00   #611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Since you are deep into it , why dont you upgrade to the isuzu MUA5 5 speed gearbox , identical ratios to the KMT 90 and also you get a 5th gear for cruising, ....
This is the most common Isuzu GB with TC available here in the scrap markets i guess? Never knew that the gear ratios are identical to the KMT90. Thanks for the information.

Quote:
...Isuzu GB has low ratio crawler gear set available online too.
Interesting, any links etc?
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 12:47   #612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks this is the first option. Arka one doubt though, so you mean since mine is a 1985 the shield will not be an issue?

This is an attempt to modernize the CJ3B, very honestly these are "just" some ideas running in my head right now. And to be very honest the GB and brakes come into play or become an issue only when i hit the highway, esp with the Gypsy and 550 boys.

Basically i need a better cruising, right now with the short ratio and 3 speed GB engine peaks up too early on road. It still remains to be seen how this story is going to unfold, maybe a Jimny or Gypsy might just completely alter the plan.
Hi Jaggu,

It is easier to improve cruising by putting taller tyres.

Also for brake system you can upgrade to the MM540 type TMC setup, and even change the drum brakes to the MM540 Type.

What are the cruising speeds you expect to maintain?

What are distances do you intend to travel on a regular basis?

somethings you can modernize are
i) Better Ignition System (Cables/Coil/Spark Plug)
ii) Air-Intake & Exhaust System
iii) Carburetor

But then considering the cost of the above, you can easily swap it to a XD3P+4speed.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Even my CJ3B is 1985 vintage and ran a B275 for a few weeks.
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 12:58   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post

What are the cruising speeds you expect to maintain?

What are distances do you intend to travel on a regular basis?
I agree with Arka and DKG. Why are you doing all these to your CJ3B? I believe you have driven DKG's Jeep, still you feel the need of a good cruising vehicle?

Spike

PS- Most of the time I see you piloting Khan, Viji or some others Jeep / Gypsy , then why this need?
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 14:27   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR

PS- Most of the time I see you piloting Khan, Viji or some others Jeep / Gypsy , then why this need?
LOL, nice observation spikey.
@jaggu: drive some diesel jeep for few days and hopefully you will appreciate Dwarf after that.
star_aqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 15:17   #615
BHPian

Quote:
First of all thank you gentlemen for answering to my questions.

Ok this would be option 2, for now.

Basically i need a better cruising, right now with the short ratio and 3 speed GB engine peaks up too early on road. It still remains to be seen how this story is going to unfold, maybe a Jimny or Gypsy might just completely alter the plan. Thar no way @ 7.3 lakhs!
Jaggu, 4 speed kmt 90 has the same final drive ratio of the 3 speed, so you wont be gaining any cruising speed, i.e the 4th gear of the 4 speed and the 3rd gear of the 3 speed are 1:1 ratio.

I am running the 540 drums and tandem master cylinder(TMC), they are superb on road , inclines and declines you have to stand on the brakes + they are useless in rains , i mean literally useless.

Taller tires will suck the low end grunt.

Your only option is the BA10 4wd GB or the Isuzu.

I dont think you can use a brake booster with the stock alternator.

Kandisa , yes thats the Gb available in scrap. I ll PM you the Tcase details.

To maintain good cruising speed you need wider 51" axles