Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 30th April 2011, 23:10   #661
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster
looks like you have finally decided to part with DwAr.

please give him to offroad enthusiast*.

(*who knows the difference between cj3b & shorted 650 aka di classic , not the real classic)
Right now I have few enquiries but no confirmations. Am just wondering if it's really worth parting lol. I have received most funniest of queries to very serious replies and that itself is an experience by itself.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 21:02   #662
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Right now I have few enquiries but no confirmations. Am just wondering if it's really worth parting lol. I have received most funniest of queries to very serious replies and that itself is an experience by itself.
I am not at all aware of the situation that you are in thats making you think of giving it out.. But otherwise I would say -- It is not worth parting with it at all.
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 11:39   #663
Team-BHP Support

Went to the garage with Rudra to check out the Amby. I had a small hunch that the brakes were not working at their best, so asked the boy to check all wheels and lol behold front RT was completely jammed (cannot turn it with hand), LT side also kinda messed up. Funny part is the jeep was running without a fuzz with jammed brake system for last whatever 1000 kms lol. No heating up or nothing!

I was under the impression maybe the trepadors were causing the deceleration when accelerator is let off. Removed the drums and RT side pistons were completely corroded and needed hammering to get them out. LT side wheel bearing hub was filled with water. Anyways have asked to replace all the brake cylinders, do clean up and get the bearing seating cleared up (had some scars thanks to butchering by mechs over the decades) and put new pipe for the front two cylinders (rubber pipe was cracking up).

Should be touching 10 kmpl now, once the brakes are free'd up

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th May 2011 at 11:41.
Old 30th May 2011, 13:23   #664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..put new pipe for the front two cylinders (rubber pipe was cracking up).
Hope you are using copper pipes - they are the best
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 14:21   #665
Team-BHP Support

No this is for the connection between, wheel to the copper pipe. The flexi hose bit.
Old 30th May 2011, 16:31   #666
Senior - BHPian

Remember the tripod pic I put on FB over a month ago. (Bearing puller), get that if you want to save your bearing/shaft from the hammer/chisel of a mech.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 17:26   #667
Team-BHP Support

We used puller only, these damages were done ages back Santhosh. Just that nobody attended to it earlier, rather fix it.
Old 31st May 2011, 12:31   #668
Team-BHP Support

Trying out some live updates Rudra is visiting and this is what he saw when he entered the place. DwArF should be back home by evening.

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-dw.jpg
Old 2nd June 2011, 22:00   #669
Team-BHP Support

Busy busy busy! But yesterdays rains made me miss DwArF, poor he sitting outside. So i asked Gopal's boys to deliver him instead of waiting for me. The boy says that this jeep needs bigger brakes for this kind of power. I scratch my head and wonder if the brakes are not set right OR is it that the boy is not used to real jeeps?? I had to get back to office so did not bother to drive.

Evening got back and the doubt was too much to resist. So took him for a spin around HSR and i was well its not the brakes, actually it is. I raised my hand and whacked myself on the head! For not figuring this out.

The jeep was moving like crazy suddenly! The frigging brakes were actually zapping power, FE and what not. I think this was the case from the day 1 of my DwArF ownership! Now the pedals are also supple and bringing the jeep back down to stop in a more predictable manner.

Moral of the story check brakes atleast when you hoist the jeep for wash!

Future plan of action: Get new disc brake MM550 axles and add booster
Old 3rd July 2011, 23:16   #670
BHPian

Quote:

And still sell it? I was shocked to see her on the classifieds. I have read this thread a couple of times. There are many posts saved in my 4X4 Word doc for reference when I manage to get myself one.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th July 2011 at 15:57. Reason: fixed quotes for better readability
mashmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 08:33   #671
Senior - BHPian

Glad your jeep is back in action - Hope to witness it perform over this side of town
Old 4th July 2011, 09:13   #672
BANNED

Quote:

Moral of the story check brakes atleast when you hoist the jeep for wash!

Good to know the Jeep is back in action.

If you feel the braking is adequate, there is actually no need to add disc brake, Simple thing to do is add a Booster unit for the existing set-up.

The advantage by doing the booster work first. If the booster is giving your jeep a better braking, you'll save few "$$" for the disc brake units.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 4th July 2011 at 09:14.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 10:21   #673
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
And still sell it?
I dont know if i get the right price and buyer why not. Reason for selling is totally different personal priority. So passion has to take a back seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Good to know the Jeep is back in action.

If you feel the braking is adequate, there is actually no need to add disc brake, Simple thing to do is add a Booster unit for the existing set-up.
Disc brake need is for situations like water wading etc where drums take long to dry up and in an offroad scene offers much better scope. Nothing to do directly with braking efficiency per say.
Old 4th July 2011, 14:10   #674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Disc brake need is for situations like water wading etc where drums take long to dry up and in an offroad scene offers much better scope. Nothing to do directly with braking efficiency per say.

Jaggu: Even Disc brakes have the same problem if set up incorrectly.

First check & replace, yes, REPLACE the brake Master Cylinder, all wheel cyliinders, liners and try the brakes. IMO, the 3B petrol has adequate stopping power for the power it generates.

cheers
Old 4th July 2011, 17:46   #675
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Jaggu: Even Disc brakes have the same problem if set up incorrectly.
Hmm anything in specific? I thought they are as straight forward when it comes to setting up? Right now am not worried about setting part coz i have one reliable person who can do this for me. More worried about sourcing all the relevant parts and the $$$