Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 21st March 2010, 17:02   #91
BHPian

Jaggu,

Jeep's looking good!! Hope the weekend deadline works out. Let us know if you're doing any OTR sometime soon, would love to join in with Abhishek and his grey CJ if possible/permitted.

Cheers
Rahul
voodoochild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 11:34   #92
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Rahul, will be in touch with you. Redliners idea of having the tyre inside the vehicle is growing on me. Let me see if i can retain the rear bench and have the tire half under it or something. That will help me retain the space for my pet lab
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 16:13   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Does that include ring, connector etc or just the reflector unit? This is just the reflector units and autopals always worked well for me, right from my RX 100 days, ok am not sure if its 125 or 160 bt 100% sure its withing 200 bucks per piece.
Jaggu

Yeh it is the whole unit including the inner dome reflector and clear lens cover and bulbs, except for the chrome outer ring.

Quote:
Redliners idea of having the tyre inside the vehicle is growing on me. Let me see if i can retain the rear bench and have the tire half under it or something. That will help me retain the space for my pet lab
Any particular reason for not putting up the tire in the rear by pushing the jerry can to the side? I think it will look lot better in the rear. Has Sandeep also got a similar arrangement in the rear?

Cheers

Nishanth
hgnishanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 18:05   #94
Team-BHP Support

The reason why i dont want it on the side (like Sundeep's) is in an OTR side damage is very common, Sundeep already has damaged the mounts (during the annual OTR).

Ok bulb and bulb holders will be extra in my case, this is the dome reflector with lens (integrated unit).
Old 22nd March 2010, 19:55   #95
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu, sorry was out of town, am going to him tomorrow, to get your stuff.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 23:50   #96
Team-BHP Support

No issues Gogi, see if he has water pump/fan belt, some issues in getting one here. Ill take two, will call you tomorrow
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:04   #97
Team-BHP Support

Cool Almost there!

Boys and gals, the work has progressed well and the vehicle is almost ready.

Everything has been put back including the soft top, checked the oil pump and its working fine (big relief). Fuel lines have been changed to good quality heat resistant stuff and filter and pump mounted properly. Meanwhile with the idle time and electrical work, the battery had run down. Its been recharged as i type and tomorrow the final tappet setting, tuning etc will be done.

Have instructed the mech to do a looooooong trial run, get alignment checked as well as do all the fine tuning required based on the trial run feedback and get the vehicle serviced and greased.

All well then ill go to the garage day after afternoon, do a trial run and make the final tune up based on my preference and am ready to rock and roll.

This is just the start of my trouble and plan to do the remaining stuff, one step at a time, slow and steady. My deadline is to have a proper offroad ready vehicle at the end of 6 months to 1 year. Wish me luck.

Some pics of the jeep with hood on, please note that the rear and side steps have been removed.
Attached Images

Old 23rd March 2010, 22:06   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My deadline is to have a proper offroad ready vehicle at the end of 6 months to 1 year. Wish me luck.

Hi Jaggu

DOnt you think that 6 months is too long.Your jeep is already ready and all you need now is to sort out the small problems here and there.

All the Best !
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 22:12   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
DOnt you think that 6 months is too long.Your jeep is already ready and all you need now is to sort out the small problems here and there.
One modification at a time is always the safest method to whet/fine-tune that modification's effect.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 09:58   #100
BHPian

Jaggu
Congrats ... the jeep looked good when you started work on it
Now it looks better!!

Cheers
GB
Gypsy-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 10:04   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Boy View Post
Jaggu
Now it looks better!!
Slowly bro, slowly. It'll change substantially and gradually. Let it come out first.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 10:20   #102
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu,
Your vehicle looks clean and simple. A jeep is meant to be simple. Dont wait for it to eb perfect. After this take it off road, small issues will crop up and then it will get settled.

My jeep was operational from the day one i bought it. It went to garage for rectification of issues, upgrade and modifications. Keep the jeep running and it will run. Don't wait for that perfect day. It will never happen. If you are taking your vehicle day after tomorrow take it off road this Saturday or sunday!
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 12:05   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi Jaggu

All the Best !
Even i wish it would be faster, but this is a 25 year old vehicle, to set things to offroad standards of reliability, it will take time. 1 week or 1 year? i have no idea, hence estimated for the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
One modification at a time is always the safest method to whet/fine-tune that modification's effect.
Not much of modification, maybe gypsy wheels with tyres. FFRA, 4 speed gearbox is a wish list, but my mech said in petrol 4 speed will require some more work to plonk it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Boy View Post
Jaggu
Now it looks better!!

Cheers
GB
Thanks, its loosing cosmetic parts and are being stored safe in a box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Slowly bro, slowly. It'll change substantially and gradually. Let it come out first.
I know, old man always has the final say. So all yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Jaggu,
Your vehicle looks clean and simple. A jeep is meant to be simple. Dont wait for it to eb perfect. After this take it off road, small issues will crop up and then it will get settled.

My jeep was operational from the day one i bought it. It went to garage for rectification of issues, upgrade and modifications. Keep the jeep running and it will run. Don't wait for that perfect day. It will never happen. If you are taking your vehicle day after tomorrow take it off road this Saturday or sunday!
This is exactly my idea, simple, clean and reliable offroad vehicle which will be used atleast 2 days in a week.

Since this vehicle was not used regularly, i went through this initial clean up. Things should settle well now.

Trail/Testing is on the cards
Old 24th March 2010, 13:32   #104
Senior - BHPian

Have got an idea for the stepney. Mine's banging against everything in the rear - tow hook/rear tail light etc. Will implement and post pictures.

but you'll have to lose your rear seat. Make your in-laws sit on the tyre.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 14:04   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Even i wish it would be faster, but this is a 25 year old vehicle, to set things to offroad standards of reliability, it will take time. 1 week or 1 year? i have no idea, hence estimated for the worst.

Not much of modification, maybe gypsy wheels with tyres. FFRA, 4 speed gearbox is a wish list, but my mech said in petrol 4 speed will require some more work to plonk it in.
This is exactly my idea, simple, clean and reliable offroad vehicle which will be used atleast 2 days in a week.

Since this vehicle was not used regularly, i went through this initial clean up. Things should settle well now.

Trail/Testing is on the cards
Jaggu, Here are my thoughts/ points.
You are worried about your 25 year old CJ3B. I have a 44 year young CJ3B which is used offoad most of the time and never failed and its only an OK condition stock 3B with a B275 International Harvester Engine.
So forget about offroading reliability now. Jump in and go for an OTR with few other Jeeps and carry a strong tow cable. If somethings breaks tow it back. Simple!
We had to tow somebody's (broken) Jeep or Gypsy practically after every OTR sometimes even upto 140 km!! ( yes we go that far to do half day OTR)

Go for Gypsy wheels, but keep FFRA and GB swap for later stages. I suggest you stick to 3Speed T-90. Hurricane and T90 is a better combo than a Hurricane+KMT90. Experts correct me if am wrong.

Since your Jeep is almost ready, now waiting for the OTR or a test report.
JeepCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote