Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2010, 14:53   #106
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,490
Thanked: 6,768 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Have got an idea for the stepney. Mine's banging against everything in the rear - tow hook/rear tail light etc. Will implement and post pictures.

but you'll have to lose your rear seat. Make your in-laws sit on the tyre.
I have got a better idea, actually two. One move the stpney bracket and mount to center, so that it opens downards, move jerry can out. Second stuff the tire underneat the rear seat, Raju and me took the measurement yesterday and it fits!

And its my lab who is gonna enjoy the rear seat!

Venki PM your mobile number need to discuss some trial runs with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
Jaggu, Here are my thoughts/ points.
You are worried about your 25 year old CJ3B.
============
Since your Jeep is almost ready, now waiting for the OTR or a test report.
Am not at all worried JC and this is not the first time am getting into such a sweet mess. Why do you think i never even bothered to sit at the garage for this build? No point in pushing all the things in one shot.

Yup gearbox am getting feedbacks to retain the 3 speed, the last one i used was more than a decade back mated to an xdp engine. This one felt very different with my short experience with it, so i will let it grow on me for now.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th March 2010 at 14:54.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 15:02   #107
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,982
Thanked: 647 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I have got a better idea, actually two. One move the stpney bracket and mount to center, so that it opens downards, move jerry can out. Second stuff the tire underneat the rear seat, Raju and me took the measurement yesterday and it fits!

And its my lab who is gonna enjoy the rear seat!

Venki PM your mobile number need to discuss some trial runs with you.
Underseat is the best option. Away from prying eyes and hands too. It wont fit in the center (first move) it will hit the pintle hook at the bottom (like mine).

Ah, the lab deserves it. Will he or she sit quietly in or jump out? Discussion for another topic.

Number PM'ed
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 15:51   #108
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,490
Thanked: 6,768 Times
Default

Spindle hook can be managed with some amount of brain chewing, but yes under-seat seems to be the most logical move.

Lab is a he, sits quite inside the car, as long as he gets to drool outside Need to check the reaction inside a jeep and arrest the wanderer using a leash. Anyways he is a fast learner and i will have good biceps lifting him inside lol
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 16:53   #109
BHPian
 
raghu4222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 89
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Hi Jaggu, Congrats on the new ride, Neat buy i must says!!!
raghu4222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 17:32   #110
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,571 Times
Default

Dear Jaggu - please retain the 3 speed transmission. The gear shift is very smooth. For 4 speed adaptation, you will have to re-orient the propeller shaft as well as move the transmission mounting cross member. The clutch operating cross shaft position on the chassis will change. I would advise you not to do it.

Just start enjoying the Jeep you lucky fellow !.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 19:48   #111
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,490
Thanked: 6,768 Times
Default

Thank you DB sir

I have taken delivery and driven around 30 kms and boy oh boy, feeling is quite different with a hurricane petrol engine. The stare and attention is something else lol.

Filled up the tank and I need new float level packing or stop lighting ciggies! The gearbox and tranny is making all sorts of noise when I lift off the throttle, so will need attention. Need to get the side valve cover packing and then set the valve also. The side foot rest revealed some rust on the driver side floor, which requires a small replacement.

Right now planning to drive for 2-3 weeks and take notes for further work. This is going to be fun

This update from phone, rest once I reach home.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 20:13   #112
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,454 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Thank you DB sir

I have taken delivery and driven around 30 kms and boy oh boy, feeling is quite different with a hurricane petrol engine. The stare and attention is something else lol.

Filled up the tank and I need new float level packing or stop lighting ciggies! The gearbox and tranny is making all sorts of noise when I lift off the throttle, so will need attention. Need to get the side valve cover packing and then set the valve also. The side foot rest revealed some rust on the driver side floor, which requires a small replacement.

Right now planning to drive for 2-3 weeks and take notes for further work. This is going to be fun

This update from phone, rest once I reach home.
The jeep engine is a very simple machine,

1) Have a good 32 BIC Solex carb with 115 size jets
2) Use 140 grade gearbox and diffrential oil
3) 50W engine oil
4) Set the tappets properly
5) Change the engine and gearbox beddings
6) Change the points and condensor
7) Check the starter bendex, thats always the matter of worry in jeeps
8) All the 14 chassis bushes needs to be changed
9) A good muffler will keep the jeep silent and hold a good tuning.
10) Greasing is also important.

With all the above done, the engine noises what you mentioned will vanish.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 21:12   #113
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,982
Thanked: 647 Times
Default

The jeep was conspicuous by its absence in the garage today. I heard you literally kidnapped the jeep.

Old sober man when driving the swift. Frikken kiddo when on the jeep :P
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 21:49   #114
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 911 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
please retain the 3 speed transmission. The gear shift is very smooth.
I wholeheartedly agree. With the 5.38 this gearbox is a delight on the hurricane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
boy oh boy, feeling is quite different with a hurricane petrol engine.
Jaggu it gets better and better. As things get sorted out the engine is a delight in any condition. Love lugging it in very slow speeds, feels like an electric motor and on the highway it sings at 80. BTW 80 is the max when everything still feels right and not strained. I don't ever push it beyond 80 and honestly on Indian roads this is a very decent speed.

Quote:
The gearbox and tranny is making all sorts of noise when I lift off the throttle, so will need attention.
Mind you I have a brand new three speeder and I drove my mechanic crazy insisting the noises were from the diff he had just overhauled. I even bugged Mr. Dhabhar and UBS and eventually had to accept that this is a design issue and the gearbox likes to hum tunes!!

You get used to that whine and now I don't notice it

For oils I have stuck with the CJ3B spec recommendations. I use 90 for the gearbox/auxilary (you have a variety just for gears) and 90 diff oil (again just for diffs), both from Castrol. Seems to work fine. The gears shift like butter. In the engine I have Catrol GTX and its worked fine from when the engine was new. No issues

Jaggu Bangalore is a great place to drive around with the screen down. Do it in the evenings. I drove top down all the way from Bangalore to Kurnool.

A Jeep with a Hurricane is something special. A Jeep with a Hurricane and top down is a virtual delight. A Jeep with a Hurricance, top down, and screen down is something close to nirvana. You merge with the environment. I call it my four wheeled motorcycle in that guise

BTW I am such a big fan of the Hurricane now that I've been using it extensively that I've picked up a brand new block and head, crank, pistons, camshaft, and a whole load of other parts to eventually put together a brand new Hurricane !! This engine deserves to be in the engine hall of fame, if its not already !!

Last edited by DKG : 25th March 2010 at 21:53.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 23:54   #115
BHPian
 
hgnishanth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore / High SEAS
Posts: 186
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Congrats again Jaggu. She sure is a beauty. Waiting for a TD.

Cheers
nishanth
hgnishanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 00:34   #116
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,490
Thanked: 6,768 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
1) Have a good 32 BIC Solex carb with 115 size jets

Have 34 with 130, 32 i guess is Amby carb. Should be getting another brand new woriginaal 34 soon

2) Use 140 grade gearbox and diffrential oil
Done

3) 50W engine oil
Done

4) Set the tappets properly
Ones on top (intake right?) done, side cover packing needs to be procured before the ones on side (exhaust?) can be set. All help guidance for packing appreciated.

5) Change the engine and gearbox beddings
All except one was fine, replaced

6) Change the points and condensor
Done, trying to source the whole distributor assembly now

7) Check the starter bendex, thats always the matter of worry in jeeps
Yes this is planned

8) All the 14 chassis bushes needs to be changed
Checked and replaced the faulty ones

9) A good muffler will keep the jeep silent and hold a good tuning.
OE mufler, though i feel one of the joints have a minor leak, need to fix

10) Greasing is also important.
Done
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
The jeep was conspicuous by its absence in the garage today. I heard you literally kidnapped the jeep.

Old sober man when driving the swift. Frikken kiddo when on the jeep :P
Yeah and saw that you decided to drop yours back Take it out fast, need to get some more things done on mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Jaggu it gets better and better. As things get sorted out the engine is a delight in any condition.
=========
This engine deserves to be in the engine hall of fame, if its not already !!
I have a lil more to go to reach that stage, first of all i need to set that tappet sound straight. Hope its nothing major. Engine seems to be healthy, hope its just a loose tappet. Engine at idle is making tappet noise, sounds like one of them is acting up! If i rev her hard in gear, its absolute chaos, so i need to get it attended soon.

I think drive shafts, gearbox and transfer case also needs to be overhauled, no point in delaying it for long. Planning to call up the mech and plan things tomorrow itself so that i can book a slot for next week. As i mentioned earlier its very evident kdang kdang kdang if i ease the throttle a lil. If i completely cut it, its better. Not sounding healthy and thats of prime importance to me.

Whine is not an issue, i can live with it. But right now whine (if any) is overshadowed by mechanical clanks.

Will be calling you up tomorrow and will discuss further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnishanth View Post
Congrats again Jaggu. She sure is a beauty. Waiting for a TD.

Cheers
nishanth
I will get in touch tomorrow and yes you can check the jeep out anytime, mind you this one is 1/10 finished compared to yours.

Some snaps which i took in the evening. Oh yeah the right side tilt needs to be sorted, also DwArF is sitting tall. Rudra has decided that it has to be brought back to its stock height asap, even if it requires a completely new set of spring set.
Attached Thumbnails
Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-img_1013.jpg  

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-img_1014.jpg  

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-img_1015.jpg  

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-img_1018.jpg  

Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 01:03   #117
BHPian
 
star_aqua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 612
Thanked: 88 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I have a lil more to go to reach that stage, first of all i need to set that tappet sound straight. Hope its nothing major. Engine seems to be healthy, hope its just a loose tappet. Engine at idle is making tappet noise, sounds like one of them is acting up! If i rev her hard in gear, its absolute chaos, so i need to get it attended soon.

I think drive shafts, gearbox and transfer case also needs to be overhauled, no point in delaying it for long.
i drove once till savandhurga. what i had noticed was some noise in transmission and engine was smooth. it was as good as a new engine. the gearbox was completely overhauled. but the mech who worked on it had no much knowledge about JEEPs though he was restoring one GPW in his garage . I feel something he has missed while assembling the gearbox back. I suggest you to inspect the gearbox once.
star_aqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 08:44   #118
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 679 Times
Default

beautiful i must say, BTW why does it look taller? can the LH lashing ring (D ring) be corrected?

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 08:56   #119
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,571 Times
Default

Dear Pawan / Jaggu - the carburettor size is M34PBIC (not 32), the venturi size is 34/25 (not 22), the main jet size for sea level / normal operation is 140 and for high altitudes it is 125. I know as I used Hurricane 3 speed in the Himalayan Rally in 1983. I won the second national award.

Here are some pictures of MAR2840. The dacoit like person is me in the driver's seat. Unfortunately MAR2840 was 2WD because 4WD was not homologated at that time for various non-technical reasons.

Enjoy!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-scan0011.jpg  

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-scan0018.jpg  

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-scan0009.jpg  

Attached Images
  
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 10:03   #120
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,490
Thanked: 6,768 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
i drove once till savandhurga. what i had noticed was some noise in transmission and engine was smooth. it was as good as a new engine. the gearbox was completely overhauled. but the mech who worked on it had no much knowledge about JEEPs though he was restoring one GPW in his garage . I feel something he has missed while assembling the gearbox back. I suggest you to inspect the gearbox once.
Did some scanning in the morning, one cylinder is not firing proper at idle. So need to check that asap. I have a feeling tappet sound has some corelation to this. The bonnet clip on LT side is making one of the racket when it vibrates Otherwise yes the engine is smooth, say from 1000-2000 rpm she is purring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
beautiful i must say, BTW why does it look taller? can the LH lashing ring (D ring) be corrected?

Spike
Rudra says my vehicle is almost as tall as Spidey lol which is kinda true, the spring re-cambering plus the longer shackles are the culprit i guess. Will get it attended soon. Am thinking of buying a whole new set of springs both front a back, my mech commented that the quality is not that great these days, your thoughts please?

Am planning to remove those lash rings and attach proper tow set ups?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Pawan / Jaggu - the carburettor size is M34PBIC (not 32), the venturi size is 34/25 (not 22), the main jet size for sea level / normal operation is 140 and for high altitudes it is 125. I know as I used Hurricane 3 speed in the Himalayan Rally in 1983. I won the second national award.
Yes sir, its running 34 carb with 130 jets. As i mentioned earlier a friend is trying to source another brand new original carb. If so ill plonk in the new and clean and keep the current one as back up.

Immediate priority tasks:
- Fix fuel float packing leak
- Set the tappet and do a proper tune up
- Fit new set of bonnet clips!

Next months tasks:
- Gear box, transfer case and drive shafts overhaul
- Springs if i can source original sets

EDIT:Attn DB & Spike and other experts watching this. For this 85 model engine, what are the spettings you would recommend for.

Tappets (inlet and exhaust)?
Dwell angle, am getting 40 from CJ page?
Timing, again 5 deg from CJ page. Is it worth advancing/retarding for our kind of climate?

Last edited by Jaggu : 26th March 2010 at 10:08.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CJ3B Hurricane engine queries (engine oil etc.) sat 4x4 Technical 14 2nd January 2017 10:45
Its got a HURRICANE hustle under the hood! -Jeep Captain JeepCaptain 4x4 Vehicles 35 13th September 2010 13:10
Hurricane is "Gone" ... Long Live the Hurricane RAINMAKER 4x4 Vehicles 11 21st April 2010 09:28
Mechanical fuel pump for Hurricane Motor (CJ3B) diesel_maniac 4x4 Technical 14 19th April 2010 03:30
Starting problem on my CJ3B (Hurricane engine) harjeev 4x4 Technical 11 21st April 2009 15:00


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks