Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 7th July 2012, 15:30   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!

Came back to your thread after a long time. Good to see lots of happenings going on with the Jeep. Hope to see the pics soon in its new avatar.
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 13:21   #62
AVR
BHPian

Thanks Kandisa and Discoverwild,

Aiming to have the Jeep put together by Mon/Tue as we leave for Mcube on Wednesday.

Here are a few pics of how things were till yesterday!

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-06072012544.jpg

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-07072012548.jpg

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-07072012550.jpg

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 14:31   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Hurry up aditya! Hurry up! MCUBE 2012 beckons!
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 11:10   #64
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Hurry up aditya! Hurry up! MCUBE 2012 beckons!
Lol yeah. The Emergency has been declared. Am not coming without it this year.

Btw, 'Cavity' looks good. Saw a pic on MGE page. Bring threads out from the Assembly Line will ya!
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 19:08   #65
AVR
BHPian

So the Jeep's been in the Garage for bodywork for most of this year! It came out of hiding for Mcube in a Just-in-time fashion and went back to the garage for the final bodywork and here are some pics of it from the few days it has been in this avatar!

Trip Report:
- Absolutely nerve-wracking to begin with as we had no idea when it would be ready...As you see my last post just a few days before Mcube!
- Starter motor behaved badly after being exposed to water I guess so had to be very careful with ensuring the engine doesn't shut off anytime
- Did every obstacle without being assisted/winched. And I drove it through all of them! Felt great. In fact, made most of the obstacles fairly easy. Love the 14B!

In chronological order >

The drive to Mcube started at 3AM on Thursday

Name:  DSC03369.JPG
Views: 1599
Size:  198.2 KB

Somewhere down the road, it rained well and it was lush green around us...

Name:  DSC03382.JPG
Views: 1580
Size:  109.5 KB

So then it was time to pose myself!

Name:  DSC03384.JPG
Views: 1592
Size:  179.7 KB

And then always appreciate a good rear-view when you see one!

Name:  DSC03389.JPG
Views: 1622
Size:  121.7 KB

When the road you choose is rocky to say the least!

Name:  DSC03398.JPG
Views: 1593
Size:  202.6 KB

And you find yourself in a hole (and you get out!)

Name:  DSC03400.JPG
Views: 1592
Size:  377.5 KB

and show everyone you've been there done that!

Name:  DSC03403.JPG
Views: 1597
Size:  157.8 KB

Before you head home again!

Name:  DSC03436.JPG
Views: 1624
Size:  174.2 KB

Posted a video uploaded by Fazal Bhai at the end of the post (Thank you again Fazal Bhai!)

The Jeep's come a long way today! Just compiled an evolutionary picture and boy it looks different (and better!)

The final look is yet to come, nobody knows when!

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 19:39   #66
Senior - BHPian

Very nice and apt report Adi. You vehicle sounds very sweet. The 14b engine that you have in it what gearbox is it mated too?
And what vehicle does this engine come in, originally?
Also I understand the starter motor problem that you must be facing. I used to face it a lot when I had my Mm550 especially after waterfording.
Here's a video link of my MM550 crossing the Kosi River near Corbett. After doing this crossing I had a very difficult time coming back 350Kms to Delhi with a faulty starter motor.
Just thought I'd share it here.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 08:29   #67
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev
Very nice and apt report Adi. You vehicle sounds very sweet. The 14b engine that you have in it what gearbox is it mated too?
And what vehicle does this engine come in, originally?
Also I understand the starter motor problem that you must be facing. I used to face it a lot when I had my Mm550 especially after waterfording.
Here's a video link of my MM550 crossing the Kosi River near Corbett. After doing this crossing I had a very difficult time coming back 350Kms to Delhi with a faulty starter motor.
Just thought I'd share it here.
Thanks Harjeev! The 14B is a 3.7L engine that came in the DCM Toyota truck and is mated here with the MM stock KMT90 gearbox. I also changed crown-pinion to 4.27. Needless to say that torque is phenomenal!

I personally don't like going into too much water because it almost always creates more issues when compared to the thrill it provides. In my case once we left Karjat at 230 pm we didn't stop the vehicle till 4am when we reached Ahmedabad lest we have starting issues! Took us quite long as we were quite tired and stopping now and then.
Old 21st August 2012, 08:54   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Thanks Harjeev! The 14B is a 3.7L engine that came in the DCM Toyota truck and is mated here with the MM stock KMT90 gearbox. I also changed crown-pinion to 4.27. Needless to say that torque is phenomenal!

I personally don't like going into too much water because it almost always creates more issues when compared to the thrill it provides. In my case once we left Karjat at 230 pm we didn't stop the vehicle till 4am when we reached Ahmedabad lest we have starting issues! Took us quite long as we were quite tired and stopping now and then.
Thanks Adi for he clarification. Your's is an MM540 so, if I'm not wrong, it should have come factory fitted in a 4.27 configuration. So you would have either increased it to 4.88 Standard in MM550 or 5.38 standard in the CJ3B?
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 13:14   #69
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Thanks Adi for he clarification. Your's is an MM540 so, if I'm not wrong, it should have come factory fitted in a 4.27 configuration. So you would have either increased it to 4.88 Standard in MM550 or 5.38 standard in the CJ3B?
Harjeev,

My stock 540 came with 4.88/KMT90/XDP4.90.

Early on after the transplant, I wasn't happy with highway cruising speeds so moved to 4.27. Its only at Mcube while talking to Allan that he pointed out that I was running a smaller diameter exhaust and the corresponding back pressure that may be a potential cause for bad highway cruising speeds.
Old 24th August 2012, 22:20   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Dear Harjeev - the very first MM540s with all drum brakes and with floor mounted brake and clutch pedals came with 5.38:1 (43/8) axle ratio. MM540s with disc brakes came with 4.88:1 (44/9) axle ratio. MM540s never came with 4.27:1 (47/11) axle ratio. Incidentally, the name of the product engineering head for these Kandivli manufactured vehicles during those days was Mr.Barasara. The name of the manufacturing head was Mr.O.B.Fernandes. I was the junior-most trainee in R&D. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 15:43   #71
BHPian

Hi Aditya,

14B looks interesting, would it be possible for you to post a pic of the Adapter plate and the before & after alteration done to the Oil sump. Also, since the 14B looks heavier (i presume, not sure though) what are the modifications you did to strengthen the chassis, axles etc to take the additional weight / torque ?

Edit :- This is what wikipedia says about the 14B engine - "The 14B is a 3.7 liter inline-four eight-valve OHV direct injection diesel engine.[2] Compression ratio is 18:1. Output is 98 hp (72 kW) at 3,400 rpm with 177 lbfts (240 Nm) of torque at 1,800 rpm"

My question to the gurus is "Are the standard jeep components ( C section chassis, KMT 90 transmission & stock axle and diff) rated to accept such power". I am curious because I am interested in this engine but I don't want to be a sitting duck in the middle of a trail with a broken axle.

Last edited by Sabareesh : 22nd November 2012 at 15:48.
Sabareesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:40   #72
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post
Hi Aditya,

14B looks interesting, would it be possible for you to post a pic of the Adapter plate and the before & after alteration done to the Oil sump. Also, since the 14B looks heavier (i presume, not sure though) what are the modifications you did to strengthen the chassis, axles etc to take the additional weight / torque ?
Hi Sabareesh,
Yes. The 14B is an interesting alternative. Once you drive this, it will be rather tough to drive a regular 550. Ask Tejas/Allan.
- Unfortunately I don't have a pic of the Adapter plate available and have put up most pics I had in this thread.
- The Oil sump needs to be modified where it would foul with the front prop-shaft as shown in the pics here (post cutting)

- The 14B is definitely heavier and you'll notice that my Jeep does sag at the front. Its also because I haven't ever got the leaf-springs re-cambered since I bought it in 2010 and not sure what happened before I bought it. I plan to do that soon and might add an additional leaf to decrease the sag.

- I am still running on the original 540 axles but that's more because I haven't found FC axles in my part of the world. The risk of failure is theoretically high with the current axles but they did survive Mcube without any drama. In fact, apart from the Starter, I didn't face any issues at Mcube. I think if one is careful with clutch release and avoid extremely jerky acceleration, its possible to avoid axles breaking like the matchsticks they are made out to be!

- After the 14B, I did strengthen the chassis right behind the transfer-case with a tubular bar with additional tubular supports at an angle. You can see this pic here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post
My question to the gurus is "Are the standard jeep components ( C section chassis, KMT 90 transmission & stock axle and diff) rated to accept such power". I am curious because I am interested in this engine but I don't want to be a sitting duck in the middle of a trail with a broken axle.
Will see if any of the Gurus answer this one but my 2 cents is that while a transplant is painful and risky, there have been a few 14B transplants in the past few years and almost every owner seems happy with them. In fact, most swear by them. Nevertheless, its critical to get the engine mounts, adapter plates and chassis strengthening sorted to avoid recurring issues. If you are willing to be experimental, not necessarily go-by-the-book and have the 'keeda', you should definitely give it a try. Especially because there are no guarantees that you won't be a sitting duck in the middle of a trail with a stock MM Jeep either.

Cheers,
Adi
Old 7th December 2012, 13:15   #73
AVR
BHPian

So I'll finally feel like the owner of my Jeep. Again. This is where it has reached as of now.

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-20121206-13.40.24.jpg

Few changes done since Mcube include:
1) Snorkel -
2) Front-facing seats

Open items:
1) General plus clutch and brake checkup
2) Soft-top - Design and getting it made
3) Utilities - Storage box, mobile holder, charging point,
4) Seat Cushions

Will be a Jeeper again. Soon.
AVR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 17:48   #74
Senior - BHPian

Why is the snorkel exit point so low down the body?
Looking good man. Nice color. How do you think that color will look on the Wagon?
jyobeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 18:02   #75
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
Why is the snorkel exit point so low down the body?
Looking good man. Nice color. How do you think that color will look on the Wagon?
The Filter itself was fitted a bit lower as the top of it wasn't allowing the bonnet to close properly. Moreover, I didn't want the bonnet-cut design.

Thanks John, but for the wagon, this color is too understated. Did you see the matt bottle green color that I posted on the thread? I loved that and can totally imagine the monster in that shade.

Afterthought: This has the hammertone finish so you could think about evaluating that. Looks way better than regular finish.

Last edited by AVR : 7th December 2012 at 18:05. Reason: Afterthought
AVR is offline   Reply With Quote