Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2010, 01:03   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
Blue Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Right here .
Posts: 1,630
Thanked: 328 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
...Xylo will come with 4wd variants...
For the Indian market as well? or just for the firangi markets ???
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 09:05   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 679 Times
Default

for the indian markets also, not sure of the time though
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 17:42   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
beejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Nilgiris
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

I saw a Jazzy colored Xylo being tested in the Mettupalyam ghats last week. The color was an eye sore. PINK. ON TEST, NASHIK stuck on the windscreen.
Was not able to click pictures. Lets see if I am able to spot it again.

Just for thoughts, the same was being tested of the road.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 18:03   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
Desmosedici's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,381
Thanked: 405 Times
Default

i wonder why MUL cant get their act together and give us a refined Gypsy with a few addons like AC and PS and better suspension. That would be an excellent vehicle.

Although the shape should remain the same as it exudes character.

Do we have any MUL guys in this forum?
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 18:06   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
beejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Nilgiris
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
i wonder why MUL cant get their act together and give us a refined Gypsy with a few addons like AC and PS and better suspension. That would be an excellent vehicle.

Although the shape should remain the same as it exudes character.

Do we have any MUL guys in this forum?
Its been 4 decades that the Gypsy been around now. I wish too.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 08:55   #36
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,487 Times
Default

Even I am not sure about the purpose of Xylo 4x4. Surely it is not meant for farm duty or offroading. So, this is meant for on-road driving in slushy roads?

In that case this vehicle can't be a part-time 4x4, or else there will be lots of cases of driveline damage caused by incorrect use of 4x4 mode on tarmac. Even Mahindra SA/mechanics are not familiar with proper 4WD usage let alone sales guys. That means Xlyo has to be full-time or on-demand 4WD where no expertise from the user is required.

That means we are talking about central differential with limited slip. The cheapest vehicle with central differential with limited slip is Grand Vitara at 17L ex-showroom price. And there isn't a single Indian car maker that makes a car with central differential with limited slip until now. The central differential with limited slip is a very expensive component, I am told that this component itself costs 6L on the GV. If the Xylo comes with central differential with limited slip, what will be the price tag? And who will buy it in that price tag.

Therefore, I am really confused about this one.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 09:39   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,982
Thanked: 647 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Even I am not sure about the purpose of Xylo 4x4. Surely it is not meant for farm duty or offroading. So, this is meant for on-road driving in slushy roads?

In that case this vehicle can't be a part-time 4x4, or else there will be lots of cases of driveline damage caused by incorrect use of 4x4 mode on tarmac. Even Mahindra SA/mechanics are not familiar with proper 4WD usage let alone sales guys. That means Xlyo has to be full-time or on-demand 4WD where no expertise from the user is required.

That means we are talking about central differential with limited slip. The cheapest vehicle with central differential with limited slip is Grand Vitara at 17L ex-showroom price. And there isn't a single Indian car maker that makes a car with central differential with limited slip until now. The central differential with limited slip is a very expensive component, I am told that this component itself costs 6L on the GV. If the Xylo comes with central differential with limited slip, what will be the price tag? And who will buy it in that price tag.

Therefore, I am really confused about this one.
Sharath, What set up does the Scorpio 4x4 come with?

And what stops M&M from putting in the same set-up for the Xylo?

Its going to be a simple borg/warner TC with the same 4x4 switch board lifted from the Scorpio.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 09:41   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,074
Thanked: 2,015 Times
Default

i dont really feel a xylo 4WD would be a hit. if at all somebody want a 4x4 from the mahindra stable, he would go for the scorpio.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 09:46   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
beejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Nilgiris
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

Its going to be a simple borg/warner TC with the same 4x4 switch board lifted from the Scorpio.
Yes, I read some place that its a Borg/Warner TC thats being used. The 4wd Xylo was even tested at a MGE event in Rajasthan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i dont really feel a xylo 4WD would be a hit. if at all somebody want a 4x4 from the mahindra stable, he would go for the scorpio.
Must be for export.
There are a few estate owners here who drive Scorpio 4x4 and would love a 4x4 Xylo. But this is a very limited market.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 10:01   #40
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,487 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Sharath, What set up does the Scorpio 4x4 come with?

And what stops M&M from putting in the same set-up for the Xylo?

Its going to be a simple borg/warner TC with the same 4x4 switch board lifted from the Scorpio.
The Scorpio has the part-time 4x4 system, which assumes that the driver knows when to use it. How many people actually buy Scorpio 4x4 outside of Team-BHP and JT? It is at least a SUV and can be used for moderate offroading.

If Xylo is a part-time 4WD, then I am don't know who they are targeting. A minivan with a part-time 4x4?
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 10:50   #41
BHPian
 
thalavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 389
Thanked: 62 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The Scorpio has the part-time 4x4 system, which assumes that the driver knows when to use it. How many people actually buy Scorpio 4x4 outside of Team-BHP and JT? It is at least a SUV and can be used for moderate offroading.

If Xylo is a part-time 4WD, then I am don't know who they are targeting. A minivan with a part-time 4x4?
Isnt' Tata Aria going to come with 4x4 as well? Or is it full time 4WD? May be M&M wants to have something similar by the time Aria comes out.
thalavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 12:55   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,982
Thanked: 647 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The Scorpio has the part-time 4x4 system, which assumes that the driver knows when to use it. How many people actually buy Scorpio 4x4 outside of Team-BHP and JT? It is at least a SUV and can be used for moderate offroading.

If Xylo is a part-time 4WD, then I am don't know who they are targeting. A minivan with a part-time 4x4?
Are you saying people who buy the Xylo dont know how to use 4wd and are probably less aware as compared to the Scorpio owners? I honestly think everyone needs education on 4WD unless they've been brought up on a staple diet of jeeps.

I have seen a few 4WD scorpio's and Safari's without the TBHP stickers on the road, if that is what it takes to find out if they are a part of this community or not.

I am just extremely happy that all such bigger cars are coming with 4WD as an option, and as the economies of scale increase, they will become as normal as ABS (which is almost a standard accessory now).

The Xylo has a LOT more space as compared to Scorpio. Anyone with more than 5 in their family and who plan to tackle reasonably undulated and untarred back water tracks will appreciate the Xylo. Its also a lot cheaper than the Scorpio.

I have heard that the Innova has taken on the himalayan terrain with aplomb. An expensive mini van with no 4wd. I think if the innova was launched with 4wd, the fortuner wouldnt have gotten too many takers. Considering most of these folks use these just for trail driving and not to take on rock climbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Isnt' Tata Aria going to come with 4x4 as well? Or is it full time 4WD? May be M&M wants to have something similar by the time Aria comes out.
Tata Aria is a whole different upper segment. I think it will launch above the 11/12 lakh category and compete directly with M&M's world SUV/W201.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 13:08   #43
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,487 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Are you saying people who buy the Xylo dont know how to use 4wd and are probably less aware as compared to the Scorpio owners? I honestly think everyone needs education on 4WD unless they've been brought up on a staple diet of jeeps.
Worldwide, pretty much every 4WD SUV/Pickup comes with center differential with LS. So it is very useful in occasional bad roads and snowy/icy conditions, you don't have to engage and disengage 4WD between good and bad roads. The typical SUV crowd won't do it anyway.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 14:54   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,240
Thanked: 225 Times
Default

I feel xylo is good in all wheel drive like any other modern SUVs. I do not see the purpose of 4 WD.
dwaraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 10:29   #45
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 448
Thanked: 32 Times
Default 4x4 xylo photos

I saw this 4x4 xylo on the Mumbai - Pune Expressway but am unable to upload the photos. Can someone help me upload these photos.
kiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spied: Mahindra Verito Compact Variant. EDIT : New PICS on Page 3 sidindica The Indian Car Scene 112 3rd June 2013 21:30
Mahindra Testing sub-4 meter XYLO. EDIT : Fresh PICS on Page 38 fx45 The Indian Car Scene 717 21st August 2012 22:17
Scoop pic: M&M XYLO Pickup on Test. EDIT : Detailed pictures on page 5 siddhu_engg24 Commercial Vehicles 89 28th January 2011 09:44
Hyundai i10 facelift EDIT: Pic on Page 7, Brochure on page 18 Simhi The Indian Car Scene 451 21st December 2010 16:05
Mahindra Ingenio -Officially announced as XYLO EDIT: Celebration Edition on Page 60 doctor The Indian Car Scene 895 11th January 2010 16:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:37.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks