Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 2nd April 2010, 21:08   #1
BHPian

Default For the love of a friend.

The senior members on this forum will surely remember Abhimanyu Singh (Alfa Kilo) from Jaipur who passed away last August.

Abhimanyu was a friend who left a deep impression on me and everyone who had the pleasure of meeting and interacting with him.

He was the epitome of someone you would call a true jeep enthusiast and loved anything on 4 wheels and in the sky that had the capability of moving the soul.

He rebuilt a 1999 Army disposal jeep from the ground up in his Garage in Jaipur .

A lot of people claim they rebuilt a jeep from scratch, when in reality what they mostly did, was pay somebody to do it for them.

Abhimanyu built his jeep from the ground up with his own sweat and determination, axles, diffs, gearbox, transfer case, engine and even designed and built his own wiring harness - you name it, he did it all, late into the night poring over jeep manuals.

At the young age of 23 and at his first attempt, the outcome was a master piece of a True Genius.

Just before he passed away, we made a solo Jaipur-Ladakh-Jaipur roundtrip with him driving his jeep and me riding my bullet just ahead, we had a blast!

On the 31st of march 2010, I drove Alfa Kilo's jeep down 1300km from Jaipur to my home in Pune to do what me and his family know he would want, OTR in the monsoon!

His father has given me the honour of driving his jeep for a few months, and to finish a few things he was unable to complete.

I will post as I complete the unfinished things I know he wanted to do.

Abhimanyu singh - A 4x4 is born....

Last edited by motocamp : 2nd April 2010 at 21:27.
motocamp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 22:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

What a genius he was... too cruel way to go.

Looking fwd to see his creation back on TBHP. Its been a long time... He helped me a bit in deciding my CJ340.

RIP-A.S
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 23:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Its really a nice news to come across. Hope the unfinished things will be shaped up soon and we can get to see some more pics long time after that Ladakh tour in the jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocamp View Post
.....A lot of people claim they rebuilt a jeep from scratch, when in reality what they mostly did, was pay somebody to do it for them...
Very true. 1stly not all have the technical expertise and even if somebody has, its most unlikely to 've access to the proper garage who is ready to do things properly as instructed. Build up of a jeep by a thorough technical guy in his own workshop is something really rare over here. And he was definitely someone in that rare league.

Quote:
..Abhimanyu built his jeep from the ground up with his own sweat and determination, axles, diffs, gearbox, transfer case, engine and even designed and built his own wiring harness - you name it, he did it all, late into the night poring over jeep manuals.
All i can say is simply GREAT. The wiring & placement of the instrument clusters tucked up on upper portion, the roll cage, the fuel tank line up are some of the immediate visible differences in his jeep apart from the other technical modification.
Overall thats a great initiative taken by you and i do hope he will be remembered in the jeep community through his own creation.
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 23:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Please do post the details! I met him only once as he is related to mt. abu. and i know his Grandfather very well.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 07:41   #5
BHPian

Jobs to finish :

1.build custom tailgate with tyre and jerry can mount.
2.make flap with lock to cover the diesel tank filler cap which is located under the co driver seat.
3.make sealed battery box with acid vent and overflow outlet
4.Larger dia tyres as the diff ratios have been optimized for 31 incher's.
5.custom skid plate (the factory skid is badly damaged)

I will post pictures and deatils as i proceed.
motocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 08:10   #6
Team-BHP Support

What a great thread to come across early morning. I never met Alfa but have immense respect for him, his knowledge and willingness to share and help others.

Motocamp, like others, I will be keeping a close watch here and is a great way to pay tribute to a great jeeper & human being.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 00:24   #7
BHPian

Hi Kunal. thats really one great way to honor a friend completing all the jobs that he had left unfinished, Hats of to you man. Also with all due respects to Abhimanyu's family hats of to you too for keeping his creation alive, because its tough to keep something that reminds you of someone so dear who is not ever going to around ever.
Kunal please post some pics of the jeep.
whicked wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 10:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Default JEEPer

Hi Kunal,

I was looking forward to meeting Abhimanyu (Alfa_Kilo), in 2009.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 11:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Kunal,
Though I have not interacted with Alfa_kilo, his loss has touched me personally, as a fellow member and a good human being has left us.
If you can convey our condolence to his family please do so on behalf of members of T-BHP.
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 13:22   #10
BANNED

RIP to the young soul who was a true 4WD enthusiast.
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 13:25   #11
BHPian

Alfa_kilo's avatar had always fascinated me - A flying truck.
Had hoped to meet him sometime ... someplace.
may his soul rest in peace.
Warm regards and deepest condolences to the family

Motocamp - best wishes - needless to say if you need any help give a shout am sure there will be a long line of people (me included) there to help.
Gypsy-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 18:35   #12
BHPian

Hi Motocamp,

I never interacted directly with Ahimanyu but still remember him with great respect as he was from same batch of "restoring 550" with me , Satnam, Harjeev,Randeep and rest of the guys. See the below post(#66) by Harjeev in my thread...

Tarkesh
My jeep is standing atthe workshop and I wont be going there till sunday.
Why dont you PM Alfa Kilo, is is also doing up his 550 in Jaipur, I think, and is doing it himself. So he can immediately solve your query......

Pls convey my condolance to his family.

Tarkesh
Ricky_3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 20:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Yes still remember Alfa Kilo and his 550 build. As Tarkesh has pointed out it was boom time on t-bhp in terms of 550 build at that time.

Please pass on my deepest heartfelt condolences to his family.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote