Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2010, 10:39   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
pjbiju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)
Posts: 1,167
Thanked: 433 Times
Default

Vinod, bring it to Pune. I will give you covered parking.

And of course pick the Jeep up for your OTRs whenever you need it - there are quite a few guys from Pune who join the Pune-Mumbai OTRs. One of them can get the Jeep for you. No issues of rust etc. in Pune. Even I am planning to join these OTRs by tagging along with someone from Pune whenever possible and if someone would take me along. My own 4x4 is still a dream.

-Biju
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 12:59   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
joshguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,358
Thanked: 88 Times
Default

Oh Vinod,

You are moving to mumbai? So I wont have anybody near my house to tag along to OTRS ;-(

I suggest you wait for some time .Go to Mumbai find out the details then decide on the jeep.Till then you can leave the jeep at somebody's house in chennai.

BTW are you switching company or is it a transfer?
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 13:21   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 731
Thanked: 53 Times
Default

vinod,
sorry i missed this thread,
listen first of all dont sell your jeep come what may,
secondly mumbai is not very jeep friendly when it comes to a daily drive,
the heat, traffic and monsoons just dont make the ride pleasurable.
cops will definitely stop a TN registered JEEP at every naka bandi here,
if you have a tn license they will let you go without a problem, but the issue is that they will stop you.
registering the car here or even paying road tax can be an expensive affair maybe going into the 30 grand range or more.
if you plan to use here only on the weekends for otr's and if you have available parking space at where ever it is ull be staying then id vouvh for getting her down.
If you still plan to not, you can always drive one of my vehicles for the otr's till you get a feel of mumbai and then make your decision
all said and done,
the offroading community of western india welcomes you into this part of the country with wide smiles and even more happier hearts,
we are there for any kind of guidance or help you may need

Regards,
Allan
09833884020
xtreme power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 15:12   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
vinod_nookala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 410 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
I promise I will sell it back to you at the same price.

If not why don't you lease it to me?
Hey Bala, Thanks for your love and care for my Jeep. Will inform you about my decision in about a month or two. Will go and figure out the ground situation. So keep the cheaque ready just in case .

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Vinod, bring it to Pune. I will give you covered parking.

And of course pick the Jeep up for your OTRs whenever you need it - there are quite a few guys from Pune who join the Pune-Mumbai OTRs. One of them can get the Jeep for you. No issues of rust etc. in Pune. Even I am planning to join these OTRs by tagging along with someone from Pune whenever possible and if someone would take me along. My own 4x4 is still a dream.

-Biju
Hey Biju,
Pune is too far my friend!! A jeep is like a kid, too big a responsibility! Will surely send it to you if i dont find safer hands in mumbai:-))

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Oh Vinod,

You are moving to mumbai? So I wont have anybody near my house to tag along to OTRS ;-(

I suggest you wait for some time .Go to Mumbai find out the details then decide on the jeep.Till then you can leave the jeep at somebody's house in chennai.

BTW are you switching company or is it a transfer?
Iam changing my company. As you said i will not be in a hurry to sell jeep. Will go and decide. Till then i will park jeep at my place as it has sheltered parking. My dad will keep starting engine once in a while.


Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power View Post
vinod,
sorry i missed this thread,
listen first of all dont sell your jeep come what may,
secondly mumbai is not very jeep friendly when it comes to a daily drive,
the heat, traffic and monsoons just dont make the ride pleasurable.
cops will definitely stop a TN registered JEEP at every naka bandi here,
if you have a tn license they will let you go without a problem, but the issue is that they will stop you.
registering the car here or even paying road tax can be an expensive affair maybe going into the 30 grand range or more.
if you plan to use here only on the weekends for otr's and if you have available parking space at where ever it is ull be staying then id vouvh for getting her down.
If you still plan to not, you can always drive one of my vehicles for the otr's till you get a feel of mumbai and then make your decision
all said and done,
the offroading community of western india welcomes you into this part of the country with wide smiles and even more happier hearts,
we are there for any kind of guidance or help you may need

Regards,
Allan
09833884020

Allan dear,
Thanks for your supporting gesture and a warm welcome!! Even iam looking forward to join you guys who one thing in common- FUN!! Really waiting to have a wheel spin at magnificient western ghats. This place, iam dying to explore and with you guys it will be nothing short of fun!!

As you said iam getting all my papers intact, to satisfy those mumbai cops. I dont intend to change the registration as it is expensive affair. This is going to be just my weekend drive. So hopefully i can get away with it.

I will be jeep less in mumbai for about 4 months for now. If at all i decide to keep the jeep, i will transport it when i move my family along with shifting house. Will surely drive one of your creations till then as and when OTR happens. Thanks for the offer.
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 15:22   #20
BHPian
 
gsferrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 842
Thanked: 131 Times
Default

Don't change registration and DEFINITELY DO NOT get NOC because then you will have to get it cancelled and that is another headache.

I've been driving my TN registered Ikon around for close to 2 years now. I've been stopped but only for the sun film. Vehicle registration issue never came up. I don't believe cops care too much about "bahar ka gaddi" because they make no money out of it in any case. Plus there's just too many out-of-state vehicles in Mumbai for them to go around stopping everyone. Worst case you can do the "I only speak tamil" trick and hope and pray that the maamu isn't from good ol' TN

If you haven't picked a place to stay yet then why not somewhere more "peaceful" where parking may not be such a big issue? I think bigger complexes like Lodha, Hiranandani etc. have better parking. Also I prefer the Eastern suburbs to western suburbs. Hiranandani Estate on Ghodbunder road has PLENTY of space inside the complex and it is easier to get to the OTR venues from the Eastern side.

I cannot stand the Western "Suxpress" Highway!
gsferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 15:25   #21
BHPian
 
shivshanker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 307
Thanked: 85 Times
Default

simple,

Bring it to Bombay, sell it to me... rest assured .. you can drive it during the weekend OTR's for some time.

Cheers!
shivshanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 19:22   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Desmosedici's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,381
Thanked: 405 Times
Default

Hey Vinod,

Firstly, land in mumbai and check out the place where you will reside.

I stay at goregaon and there is enough space in my society to park a jeep, i can anytime state that its my second vehicle and request for an extra parking. Only the additional parking charges would need to be paid. So as a stop gap arrangement, you can do that.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 08:21   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
joshguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,358
Thanked: 88 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post


Iam changing my company. As you said i will not be in a hurry to sell jeep. Will go and decide. Till then i will park jeep at my place as it has sheltered parking. My dad will keep starting engine once in a while.

That's a good news. Congrats on your new job

Let me know if you need any help for starting the jeep once in a while
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 10:48   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
vinod_nookala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 410 Times
Default Cheers to the spirit of Jeeper's!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Don't change registration and DEFINITELY DO NOT get NOC because then you will have to get it cancelled and that is another headache.

I've been driving my TN registered Ikon around for close to 2 years now. I've been stopped but only for the sun film. Vehicle registration issue never came up. I don't believe cops care too much about "bahar ka gaddi" because they make no money out of it in any case. Plus there's just too many out-of-state vehicles in Mumbai for them to go around stopping everyone. Worst case you can do the "I only speak tamil" trick and hope and pray that the maamu isn't from good ol' TN.

If you haven't picked a place to stay yet then why not somewhere more "peaceful" where parking may not be such a big issue? I think bigger complexes like Lodha, Hiranandani etc. have better parking. Also I prefer the Eastern suburbs to western suburbs. Hiranandani Estate on Ghodbunder road has PLENTY of space inside the complex and it is easier to get to the OTR venues from the Eastern side.

I cannot stand the Western "Suxpress" Highway!
gsferrari,
Yeah i don't plan to change my registration, be it my car or jeep. When i flew to Mumbai i did my bit asking Taxi walas if they have seen Police stopping other state vehicles. Even he said " there are simply too many out of state vehicles to stop and check. They generally stop MUV's carrying people and leave you if all the papers are intact!" Wagon R is one of those family cars which are not stopped and checked unlike Indica's which have dubious distinction of owners running it for commercial use with white board.

Honestly i am not looking at staying in really upscale societies like Hiranandani. They are bloody expensive!! I wouldn't mind paying a fraction of that additional cost to a kind enough guy who would lend me a sheltered parking around Kandiveli (E).
I plan to look for a house in Thakur Complex. Any ides about parking issue in that complex?

I have no idea about Mumbai. But i need to stay near Kandiveli as my work place is near there. BTW how near is Eastern express highway from Kandiveli?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
simple,

Bring it to Bombay, sell it to me... rest assured .. you can drive it during the weekend OTR's for some time.

Cheers!
I am glad i found a buyer in Mumbai just in case i change my mind after bringing it to Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Hey Vinod,

Firstly, land in mumbai and check out the place where you will reside.

I stay at goregaon and there is enough space in my society to park a jeep, i can anytime state that its my second vehicle and request for an extra parking. Only the additional parking charges would need to be paid. So as a stop gap arrangement, you can do that.
How far is Goregaon from Kandiveli (E)? I plan to reside some where near for now as my work place is close by. If Goregaon is near then i will definitely take your help. Parking charges is not an issue! Will the parking be open or sheltered?

Thanks for the great help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
That's a good news. Congrats on your new job

Let me know if you need any help for starting the jeep once in a while
Yes Josh guy,
I would need help from you Jeeper's to occasionally start my jeep and take it for a spin while i am away. That will keep my Jeep in good health


Thank you guys for your outstanding support!! I honestly thought every one would say sell your jeep, but its the other way round! Helping nature is the true Jeeper's spirit, I am proud I am a part of you all!!

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 15th April 2010 at 10:51.
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 12:01   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,830
Thanked: 1,437 Times
Default

Kandivili...that gives me ideas. M&M by any chance??
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 12:18   #26
BHPian
 
gsferrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 842
Thanked: 131 Times
Default

n.dev - Good catch

Vinod - Eastern and Western highways run in parallel and then converge at Sion on one end and Dahisar at the other end. K.Vili is on the Western side and on weekdays it takes up to 45 minutes during peak hours to get from Thane to K-Vili.

You can also look for housing in Borivili.

Check out a map of mumbai for an idea of travel distances. Travel time on western express is anybody's guess and a real toss up. Hard to tell until you are already in the thick of the traffic.

I've heard of water shortage issues in summer and water-logging during the monsoons but this is something that can be said of ANY low-lying area in Mumbai.
gsferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 14:20   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
vinod_nookala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 410 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Kandivili...that gives me ideas. M&M by any chance??
Don't let the secret out

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
n.dev - Good catch

Vinod - Eastern and Western highways run in parallel and then converge at Sion on one end and Dahisar at the other end. K.Vili is on the Western side and on weekdays it takes up to 45 minutes during peak hours to get from Thane to K-Vili.

You can also look for housing in Borivili.

Check out a map of Mumbai for an idea of travel distances. Travel time on western express is anybody's guess and a real toss up. Hard to tell until you are already in the thick of the traffic.

I've heard of water shortage issues in summer and water-logging during the monsoons but this is something that can be said of ANY low-lying area in Mumbai.
Does Mumbai has any area specifically designated for IT companies? Wify is software engineer and would also like to reside at a place which is almost equidistant for both of us. She is yet to land a job in mumbai hence her location of work isn't fixed, but mine is fixed at Kandiveli east.

Keeping this in mind which place do you suggest is best for me to reside?

Also since you said off road spots in Mumbai are on Eastern express highway how easy or difficult would it be for me to join you guys in terms of traveling time?
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 14:58   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 731
Thanked: 53 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Don't let the secret out



Does Mumbai has any area specifically designated for IT companies? Wify is software engineer and would also like to reside at a place which is almost equidistant for both of us. She is yet to land a job in mumbai hence her location of work isn't fixed, but mine is fixed at Kandiveli east.

Keeping this in mind which place do you suggest is best for me to reside?

Also since you said off road spots in Mumbai are on Eastern express highway how easy or difficult would it be for me to join you guys in terms of traveling time?

regarding the wife,
malad i think would be most suitable for her seing her profession, or else lower parel but thats far fromwhere you plan to reside,
malad does have alot of it companies,

and another point,
stay in kandivali east itself, lots of places out there, ill show you around once your down,
and you know what, i can pull some strings to get you covered parking in your workplace itself, let me see.
just get your a** down soon, all shall be sorted
xtreme power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 15:03   #29
BHPian
 
gsferrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 842
Thanked: 131 Times
Default

Vinod - don't sweat it man. IT is spread out all over the place. Andheri, Mahape, Vashi, Thane...hard to pin it down. Andheri / Malad / Goregaon are also good places to stay.

Best places for you would be Borivali, Kandivali, Malad and worst case - Goregaon. You should be able to find some really nice places in Malad.

Good luck at M&M. They are very good customers of mine (Cisco)
gsferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 15:18   #30
BHPian
 
gsferrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 842
Thanked: 131 Times
Default

Also if Wifey needs help finding a job do let me know. Pass on her resume to me. Sending you a PM with my email ID.

I have good connections at many companies although I think Sparsh/IGS will be the best bet if you find a place in Malad.
gsferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bangalore - Ganeshgudi - which route should I take? rockyb Route / Travel Queries 29 4th June 2015 11:16
Should Skoda get Fabia sedan along with hatchback v12 The Indian Car Scene 14 17th August 2011 09:53
Uneven panel gaps on Hyundai i20. Should I take delivery? FlyingSpur Technical Stuff 57 6th December 2009 22:30
Bangalore to Rajampet - which of the 2 routes should I take? pkumar Route / Travel Queries 8 4th May 2009 18:23
Should I take the free MP3 player offered for a new Santro? arindambasu13 In-Car Entertainment 7 23rd January 2009 16:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks