Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 17th March 2012, 18:03   #271
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
Ricky, is it not possible to fit a autobox to your Pajero ?
The classifieds still show a 1996 Pajero with auto transmission (must be imported). I too am a Pajero fan, but the fact that i prefer my next diesel car to have an autobox is putting me off the Paj.
I am not sure at all. The whole tranny would You should go in for an AT if you want one

U P D A T E

I have added another Iconic brand to my stable...the Land Rover Freelander
Will put up pics once I have taken some !! So now I have the Legendary Pajero (for now) & the Iconic Land Rover....Elated to say the least !!

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012, 22:51   #272
BHPian

Nice v nice... look forward to the review... cheers
indianrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 12:57   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
I have added another Iconic brand to my stable...the Land Rover Freelander
Will put up pics once I have taken some !! So now I have the Legendary Pajero (for now) & the Iconic Land Rover....Elated to say the least !!
Your stable gets more and more interesting by the day. Is this a new acquisition or a pre-owned one?

Looking forward to your review and pics.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 16:34   #274
Senior - BHPian

Here are some pics of the Freelander.......Mileage 23,500 kms......minor scratches on rear & front bumper. 2nd service was done late January 2012.....tyres need to be changed (according to me), under normal circumstances would last atleast another 10k without a hiccup....

Great drive.....

Enjoy the pics

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8-dsc_1183.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8-dsc_1185.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8-dsc_1186.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 27th March 2012, 01:56   #275
BHPian

@ All TBHPians who own the Pajero, - Can you please help me understanding the Pajero ABS? Is the ABS light supposed to blink/flash on the Instrument panel whenever ABS operates? Well, so far I do not see any blinking ABS during all the occassions that I slammed emergency brakes- just to test the ABS.
However, at start up of ignition, the ABS does conduct a self check after the flasher goes off, which would infer that the ABS systems are ok.
Just for information, the brake pedal feedback during such braking is as if the brakes were grinding against the discs. There was no locking of wheels and the vehicle kind of gradually came to a halt in not so much of a hurry.
Compared to the Laura, this was a different brake feedback,- maybe different cars with ABS behave differently?

Second ,- does the vehicle kind of 'hum' during acceleration at cruising speeds? The humming is kind of similar to what the Ambassador sounds when it is speeding. Its a pretty smooth non- irritating hum which seems to synch with the engine speed. Just need to know if others experience this too. I don't experience it in my Safari.

Opinions are solicited. My Pajero is a 2007 GLX model. Thanks.

Last edited by R. Kotwal : 27th March 2012 at 01:58.
R. Kotwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 04:50   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Kotwal View Post
@ All TBHPians who own the Pajero, - Can you please help me understanding the Pajero ABS? Is the ABS light supposed to blink/flash on the Instrument panel whenever ABS operates? Well, so far I do not see any blinking ABS during all the occassions that I slammed emergency brakes- just to test the ABS.
However, at start up of ignition, the ABS does conduct a self check after the flasher goes off, which would infer that the ABS systems are ok.
Just for information, the brake pedal feedback during such braking is as if the brakes were grinding against the discs. There was no locking of wheels and the vehicle kind of gradually came to a halt in not so much of a hurry.
Compared to the Laura, this was a different brake feedback,- maybe different cars with ABS behave differently?

Second ,- does the vehicle kind of 'hum' during acceleration at cruising speeds? The humming is kind of similar to what the Ambassador sounds when it is speeding. Its a pretty smooth non- irritating hum which seems to synch with the engine speed. Just need to know if others experience this too. I don't experience it in my Safari.

That is just Perfect,AFAIK,ABS light is supposed to do a self check only,and not come on,even when the ABS kicks in under sudden braking,and yeah the grinding\pulsating feeling from the brake pedal is an indication of ABS kicking in.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 09:28   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
That is just Perfect,AFAIK,ABS light is supposed to do a self check only,and not come on,even when the ABS kicks in under sudden braking,and yeah the grinding\pulsating feeling from the brake pedal is an indication of ABS kicking in.
Thanks for the reply akshay4587, I appreciate it. And what is your take on the second point- humming during acceleration at speeds above 80 kmph? Thanks in advance mate
Old 27th March 2012, 15:25   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply akshay4587, I appreciate it. And what is your take on the second point- humming during acceleration at speeds above 80 kmph? Thanks in advance mate
I dont own a Pajero,hence my comment was limited to ABS only-whose behaviour is similar across vehicles.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 17:06   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:

What Akshay said about the ABS is correct. The ABS light should come on when you turn the ignition & should go off in a second or two after the engine fires up. grinding sounds abnormal, check your brake pads.

The humming above 80 could indicate a cross or differential issue.

Happy motoring
Old 28th March 2012, 14:36   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
grinding sounds abnormal, check your brake pads. The humming above 80 could indicate a cross or differential issue.

Happy motoring
Thanks mate, I apologise for the OT question, but your responses are greatly appreciated.
I just recently got a thorough check up of the vehicle done and changed all lubes, including that in the differentials. The brakes and brake callipers were checked too, and brake pads are ok, so that leaves the differential and gear alignment that needs to be ruled out. Will do that at the first opportunity.

Last edited by R. Kotwal : 28th March 2012 at 14:38.
Old 28th March 2012, 19:50   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks mate, I apologise for the OT question, but your responses are greatly appreciated.
I just recently got a thorough check up of the vehicle done and changed all lubes, including that in the differentials. The brakes and brake callipers were checked too, and brake pads are ok, so that leaves the differential and gear alignment that needs to be ruled out. Will do that at the first opportunity.
Ok here are the various types of "hum" I have faced

1. Rear differential hum will increase in both volume and pitch with increase in road speed.

2. Front differential noise will be there only if the 4x4 is engaged, and is similar to rear differential noise. If the noise is from front and the 4x4 is not engaged, check if the front hubs are dis engaging in 4x2 mode.

3. If the noise increases with engine RPM (and not road speed), it is the gear box.

4. If the noise is only during acceleration/deceleration and not while cruising, then it is either a loose axle or a worn differential.

In any case get it checked and repaired ASAP, as a worn piece in the transmission will ruin other components pretty fast.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 07:13   #282
BHPian

Ricky you never cease to amaze!!! Congrats on the LR Freelander!!! But where are the details?? Sorry for pushing you

I assume it is an AT this time.

Tyres do look puny on this beast; can go for one notch higher.

Waiting for more pics and reviews...
ssh1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 11:07   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Ricky you never cease to amaze!!! Congrats on the LR Freelander!!! But where are the details?? Sorry for pushing you

I assume it is an AT this time.

Tyres do look puny on this beast; can go for one notch higher.

Waiting for more pics and reviews...
There is a seperate thread in the Initial Test Drives & Ownership Reports Section

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 19:57   #284
BHPian

Quote:
@ All TBHPians who own the Pajero, - Just for information, the brake pedal feedback during such braking is as if the brakes were grinding against the discs. There was no locking of wheels and the vehicle kind of gradually came to a halt in not so much of a hurry.

I have a SFX model and not GLX, but I believe most of the components are the same.
The brake pedal feel is normal - does not feel like any grinding. My only issue with the Pajero brakes is - they are very soft. I owned a Jazz before and the brakes were very sharp - its just the opposite in the Pajero - So I am very careful while tailgating during city driving. As mentioned in the manual, the ABS does not engage at very low speeds - so you do have issues in bumper to bumper traffic at low speeds, the car does not wish to stop. But I did not experience any grinding experience that you are mentioning.

My vehicle does not hum during acceleration at cruising speed. I am not sure what humming sound you are talking about, but there is usual engine noise which is plentiful with the Pajero and I enjoy that. As usual with increasing speed, the RPM increases and so does the engine noise, but not that much to notice. My experience is, the car is very happy nice and stabe at 80-90kmph (rpm 2K) > 100 kmph (rpm 2.5K) > 110 kmph (rpm 2.7K) > 120kmph (rpm arnd 3K)... and so on. I have taken the car upto 150kmph without issues, but its clearly not comfortable at sustaining at that high speed for very long and you have to push the car to get to that speed. But no humming noise as such that you are mentioning.

Not sure, if I have answered your question, but thats my experience.
debarshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:11   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debarshim View Post
My vehicle does not hum during acceleration at cruising speed. I am not sure what humming sound you are talking about, but there is usual engine noise which is plentiful with the Pajero and I enjoy that.
Not sure, if I have answered your question, but thats my experience.
Well, if you havent heard a light hum during high speed acceleration (60kmph onwards) then your vehicle doesnt have any. Thats good!
And when I spoke about braking , I was purely speaking about ABS braking at higher speeds (when literally standing on the brake pedal), and the pedal feel forthcoming. The 'grinding' + pulsating feel of the brakes was in that context and not normal braking. Normal braking (when ABS is not engaged) is like you narrated. I had a Laura and it is nothing compared to the bite of that brake.

Coming back to the hum, well, I thought I must have it checked up, was advised correctly by fellow bhpians too. So, I had the car checked. I had prepared myself what I was going to ask the master mechanic to look into. This apparently preceeded hours of net research and youtube visuals as to the cause of the hum. I pretty much had come to the decision that the hum was at the rear differential. I had found out that the 'humming or 'whining' during acceleration which stopped as one lifted the foot off the accelerator at specific road speeds (not engine rpm) emanated from the differentials. It can be either the front or the rear differential. When it comes from the rear, it most likely is the rear differential. To put matters simply, there are a number of factors that can lead to such a hum, or whining.
1. They can result as a cause of the ring and pinion gears not being in sublime angular setting with respect to each other.
2. This setting can be disturbed by damage to the crush sleeve due to extra continuous payload, and excessive heat or insufficient or old lubricant.
3. Another cause is loss of factory pretension of the pinion adjustment .
4. And finally, ring and pinion bearing faliure.
5 Spider gear damage causes noise during turns.

Either one, or all of the above factors lead finally to the toasting of the differential!!

The master mechanic took the car out on a test drive, me accompanying. I planned not to jump the gun, and let him make out the sound if it was discernible to his trained ears. I just told him that there was some noise coming from the rear that I want checked. City traffic these days is such that you can barely crawl. It was at no open stretch on the road that we could go over 50kpmh, so the hum did not appear. He told me that he heard nothing. I insisted that we go to the highway , and that is where the light hum came back as we crossed 60kmph. I noticed that the mechanic was making an effort to sift through various sounds , and it was there that I helped him locate what I was talking about. The test drive ended soon enough.

I was informed that it was not a problem that forbode pending disaster. They said that there are many Pajeros, even new ones in their service that have this sound. The differential is set up the factory, and depends if its synched perfectly. The manufacturers do not advise to take apart the differential at the dealership level because very specialized tools , expertize and experience are required to set it up right. Sometimes even brand new Pajeros have this hum and that most of the owners dont mind ( maybe they dont know!!) So I was advised that I could have the differential replaced ( cost about 2 lacs) but it would be prudent to keep the differential till it really need a change. Sometimes these differentials take ages to destruct, and who knows it might last me till the time its time for a change!

So thats it. I plan to keep it. And I plan to observe the hum for 6 months. If the hum increases over time, then I know sooner or later the rear has to be replaced. If it remains the same (its a nice kind of a hum though!) then I am more that happy with it!!

And guys, here's a link to what I mean when I say that the rear differential hums ( please note that my Pajero's humming is not as loud as the one auduble in the video)

Cheers!