Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 20th December 2013, 18:28   #301
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish.rpr View Post
Hi Ricky,

I picked up a used 2008 SFX Pajero. I hear some rattling sounds when I go over few pot holes at decent speed, and no sound when I go slowly. Can you please help me in diagnosing the problem. I am pretty happy with my Pajero. Would be even more delighted, if this issue is sorted out.

Thanking You
Satish

You just need to have the suspension bushes looked at, most likely it is replacement time. Also what jyobeb said makes sense to me
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 23:53   #302
Senior - BHPian

If the suspension or stablizer bushes are gone it will be not rattling but a bigger sound. More like a pronounced bing bing bing when you hit a pot hole or rough patch.

Mere rattling could come from silencer brackets gone loose or a bash plate loose, also from a bull bar if an external one is fitted and from the spare wheel mounting frame. Check these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Oh so this was what you were after. Congratulations.
I am sure we will get comparative analysis, both on and off the road, between Paj and GV soon.
Sudev you love your Grand Vitaras but this Pajero is a genuine tough built off roader. There is even a version where the suspension settings can be changed to soft, medium and sports.
It comes from rallyart legacy and these vehicles have won the Paris Dakar rally.

Except for excessive body roll these vehicles are solid.

A more suitable competitor for yout Grand Vitara and that too an XL7 with a 2500 V6 would be the Pajeros little rabbit brother, the Pajero iO.

I have driven a few rally versions of the 2007 Pajero as well tuned by Rallyart, for team BF Goodrich and they are very capable, I have done 6 ft jumps in them on the UmmAl Quwain rally track and the nitro charged shocks sustain these jumps and landings easily.

I am on the extreme left, my Tennis coach Mahfooz in the middle and friend Leander paes on the right. He had a match the next day, and I was worried about him but he insisted on doing all jumps with me on the gravel off road race track.

Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8-lee-006.jpg
In the other pic I am testing a Toyota Tundra with a Chevvy 8000 cc V12 engine and fitted with 48 inch nitro shockers. Managed to blow out two of these mammoth 8000 cc engines that day!

In the pic ready to go with navigator Megan Baruch. Just need to fit the steering wheel before I zoom off!

Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8-lee-007.jpg

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd December 2013 at 23:53. Reason: please read the note in your post, thanks
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013, 20:23   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ricky,

I picked up a used 2008 SFX Pajero. I hear some rattling sounds when I go over few pot holes at decent speed, and no sound when I go slowly. Can you please help me in diagnosing the problem. I am pretty happy with my Pajero. Would be even more delighted, if this issue is sorted out.

Thanking You
Satish
Hey Satish, how much did you pay for it? I am looking at a 2008 with 50k on the odo. The asking price is 10 lacs. Would be great to have an input on the pricing.
damanshaheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 09:49   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by damanshaheed View Post
Hey Satish, how much did you pay for it? I am looking at a 2008 with 50k on the odo. The asking price is 10 lacs. Would be great to have an input on the pricing.
10L for a 2008 Pajero (SFX / GLX ?) that has clocked only 50K seems reasonable. But I am not an expert on this. Please check the health of the engine. Have been hearing Pajero's odometer can be reversed (50K seems too less for 2008 Pajero - can agree if genuine.)

Last edited by khan_sultan : 24th December 2013 at 10:29. Reason: back to back posts. please use multiquote feature to quote & reply to multiple posts
satish.rpr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 10:34   #305
Senior - BHPian

1.2 lak hs is nothing for a Pajero. However it is also be a figure that requires Suspension overhaul in terms of bush kit replacement.
After market (good quality) bush kits should cost about 10K and are fairly easily available.
The labour including lathe work for hydraulic fitment of certain bushes should cost about 10k.
jyobeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 18:48   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
10L for a 2008 Pajero (SFX / GLX ?) that has clocked only 50K seems reasonable. But I am not an expert on this. Please check the health of the engine. Have been hearing Pajero's odometer can be reversed (50K seems too less for 2008 Pajero - can agree if genuine.)

My 2008 Pajero had done 45k on the odo when I sold it to a friend, there are some vehicles which are not used very extensively, so hopefully this is one of those rare ones

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 16:43   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
My 2008 Pajero had done 45k on the odo when I sold it to a friend, there are some vehicles which are not used very extensively, so hopefully this is one of those rare ones

Cheers
The odo is genuine as it belongs to a neighbour and have practically seen it from the day it has been bought and they also own two more cars. And it has never been taken offroad ever , never ever been slotted into 4x4 mode, any pointers in this regard.
damanshaheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 21:27   #308

Ran into a new problem today. Got the vehicle washed. I wanted to use the 4LLc to descend the ramp (it was steep) as I doubted the brakes with water entering the calipers. I engaged the 4LLc and all the green lights on super select indicator went off and the CD light started flashing. Even after changing to 2H the rear wheel lights are not on. When shifted to 4HLc or 4LLc the orange light (CD) keeps flashing even after driving for some distance. I feel mechanically the Xcase is working fine (engaging / disengaging 4w-2w). Any idea what could be wrong ?
satish.rpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 09:49   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Ran into a new problem today. Got the vehicle washed. I wanted to use the 4LLc to descend the ramp (it was steep) as I doubted the brakes with water entering the calipers. I engaged the 4LLc and all the green lights on super select indicator went off and the CD light started flashing. Even after changing to 2H the rear wheel lights are not on. When shifted to 4HLc or 4LLc the orange light (CD) keeps flashing even after driving for some distance. I feel mechanically the Xcase is working fine (engaging / disengaging 4w-2w). Any idea what could be wrong ?
Happened to me once last year when i engaged to 4H on the fly before hitting a slush area near gangotri and then switched back to 2H later. The green lights kept on blinking and it wont go. But i never had issues with blinking CD lights. My problem got rectified on its own after the car was switched off for sometime. Not sure what happened.
Similar thing happened with ABS lights - it was on after a session in d slush. Brakes and abs was working fine though. I washed the area on d brakes where the abs sensors are placed and it was fine after that.
I believe that in your case also if the gears are working fine it has to do something with d sensors.
debarshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 08:44   #310

True debarshim. Drove my Pajero for 40+ Kms and then the green lights turned on all by itself as though nothing was wrong. Had the same scenario with ABS too. ABS light was turned on while driving and turned off after sometime. Happy that nothing major has happened.
Old 7th January 2014, 18:24   #311
BHPian

@Satish & Debarshim: This is a common issue with Pajeros and occurs if 4WD is not used frequently. In most cases it is nothing to worry about as the 4 wheel drive is mechanical. Whatever mode(4LLc/N/4HLc/4H/4L) you select using the gearstick, you are in that mode eventhough the superselect lights tell you otherwise.

Below link has the issue and fix(s) documented very well.
http://4wd.blogeasy.com/article.view...ticleID=318776

I had a slightly different issue on my Pajero wherein my the top 2 lights would flash though I was in 2H. After trying out fixes mentioned in above link and in Australian Pajero Forums, I change the Solenoid switchable and the flashing lights problem went away. Cost me AU$130 from ebay.com.au
S@~+#0$# is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 17:20   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
@Satish & Debarshim: This is a common issue with Pajeros and occurs if 4WD is not used frequently. In most cases it is nothing to worry about as the 4 wheel drive is mechanical. Whatever mode(4LLc/N/4HLc/4H/4L) you select using the gearstick, you are in that mode eventhough the superselect lights tell you otherwise.

I had a slightly different issue on my Pajero wherein my the top 2 lights would flash though I was in 2H. After trying out fixes mentioned in above link and in Australian Pajero Forums, I change the Solenoid switchable and the flashing lights problem went away. Cost me AU$130 from ebay.com.au
Thanks for sharing the link. I did find out earlier that the Australian Pajero community has a lot of information and a lot of good Pajero accessories can be obtained from Australia. I will try out the fix.

Although I dont use the 4 wheel drive modes in the city, I do use it frequently enough to not cause issues in the last year. There is a easy solution that my mechanic has told me about the ABS light issue - just wash the sensors placed behind the discs and things are fine.
debarshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2014, 07:48   #313
BHPian

I have seen the ABS light a couple of times when I use 4WD. Turning the ignition off and on works for me. Also, I have not noticed any difference or loss in braking whilst driving as is.

Could you please share more details on locating the ABS Sensor located behind the wheel? How do we clean it? Just wipe it with a cloth?
S@~+#0$# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 11:58   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post

are you sure it is pure mechanical ? Some Pajero forums tell the super select system consists of a ECU located right behind the radio unit that control the vacuum solenoids. And the faulty sensors could feed wrong data to the ECU and as well as the lights.
Old 14th January 2014, 15:05   #315
BHPian

Quote:
are you sure it is pure mechanical ? Some Pajero forums tell the super select system consists of a ECU located right behind the radio unit that control the vacuum solenoids. And the faulty sensors could feed wrong data to the ECU and as well as the lights.
The system is not entirely mechanical. There is an ECU and yes it can fail. By default, the Pajero is a 4WD vehicle and depends on the vaccum system to convert to 2WD. There is a freewheeling clutch/actuator on the front diff that is controlled by vaccum solenoids. When the vehicle is started, the ECU senses and triggers one of the two color coded solenoids which activate/deactivate the freewheeling clutch on the front diff depending on 2H, 4H, 4LLc, 4HLc etc.

In the event of a failure, the system defaults to 4WD. Whatever gear you move the stick to, that is the gear you are in - ignore what the Super Select Indicator tells you as it is only interpreting what the broken sensor is telling it. So, one can always drive back home/service center in 4WD say 4LLc or 4HLc to get to the tarmac and 4H on tarmac.

I am no expert and have only owned a Pajero for little over 4 months but this is from my understanding of Australian Pajero Forums and what I experienced in my Pajero. I had this exact problem where I would be driving in 2H and suddenly I could hear a grinding noise coming from the front diff. The sound would go away if I slowed down. This problem was intermittent and would never occur when I am trying to show it to a mechanic or to the previous owner . It was quite worrying and I would just drive the Paj in 4H until the problem was resolved(fuel consumption would be up but only by half a kmpl). So, after reading, trying to understand the system and trying several suggestions, I attributed this to a weak solenoid that could not power the actuator for extended periods so the freewheeling clutch was trying to engage or disengage. I attributed the grinding sound to the actuator not being able to engage or disengage causing friction. Changing the solenoid switch fixed the issue. I can now drive in 2H forever and when in 4WD, the SuperSelect System reflects the correct info.
S@~+#0$# is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote