Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 9th June 2010, 21:42   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Keeping with latest in eye glasses - vari-focals - so go with distance and near lights at the same time. Two pairs.

Hey

That is what "my eyes" wear . Did not know cars have the same facility available. Any pointers ??

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 21:53   #62
Senior - BHPian

Finally was able to get a response from Phil (he's been down with fever)..the pump and nozzles are back & fitted, could not go & look "her" up today !!

Balance parts (suspension etc) have come in & should be going in starting tomorrow :

Looking forward to having her back - this is really a vehicle that I miss driving

Updates shall follow !

Cheers
Old 16th June 2010, 21:08   #63
Senior - BHPian

Default Update on the Pajero

Reached the workshop a bit late to hear the engine idle (music to my ears).

Am told the engine note is nicer than it was & that there is no smoke emitting from the tail pipe even on hard driving. Which is how it should be. So seems the pump and nozzles needed re-calliberation.

An engine oil leak was detected to a failed oil seal, ordered new one, as have been belts & hoses, gear box mount bushes were cracking, new ones coming.

I found 2 of the 3 fan belts were showing fatigue, according to the mechanic, they could go on, but I chose to have them replaced, hence ordered.

Brakes seem fine, do not even need a brake pad replacement.

The front & rear suspension has been completely re-done, including 4 new shockers !

So looking forward for it to be put together & "enjoy" the ride with the new suspension.

The Hellas have still to come in. There are some other minor issues that need to be sorted. But mechanically she should be in the PINK of health...

So far - so good !!

Cheers
Old 17th June 2010, 17:18   #64
Senior - BHPian

Great Ricky!!
Looking forward to the updates and the pics.

BTW I know its too soon to give an opinion but how do you rate the maintenance costwise, trips to the workshop, niggles small and big, etc etc of the Pajero vis a vis the GV?
As I am on the lookout for one for myself in the distant future but currently torn between the two and cant seem to decide! But no hurry, I have all the time I need.
Thanks
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 21:16   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Great Ricky!!
Looking forward to the updates and the pics.

BTW I know its too soon to give an opinion but how do you rate the maintenance costwise, trips to the workshop, niggles small and big, etc etc of the Pajero vis a vis the GV?
As I am on the lookout for one for myself in the distant future but currently torn between the two and cant seem to decide! But no hurry, I have all the time I need.
Thanks

Hi

Well it is pre-mature for me to comment of the comparative maintaince. The Pajero was running stock suspension at 1.3L on the odo, so it did need a change. So it has got a brand new total suspension job, yet to get the vehicle so don't really know the bill.

As for trips to the workshop, neither of them like to go the workshop often, they do not need to really. Both are brilliantly engineered. I think the GV would turn out cheaper in the long run, Sudev's long term report on his GV says it all.

The other thing is that I have this "keeda" of keeping my cars in "perfect" shape be it mechanically or cosmetically, so I sometimes tend to spend on stuff that really does not need to done "just yet"

In case you are serious about the GV, someone I know wants to sell a 2007. PM me for details, if you want

Cheers
Old 20th June 2010, 10:34   #66
Senior - BHPian

Planning to add a Hella Comet 550 on the rear door, to work in tandem with reverse gear. Also plan on adding a 3rd stop light on the top of the rear windshield.

Sigh !! Can't wait to get the vehicle back, itching to get into the driver's seat !!!

Cheers
Old 26th June 2010, 18:05   #67
Senior - BHPian

Cool

U P D A T E

The Pajero is finally back !! With the following :-
# a brand new suspension front & back, shockers, ball joints, bushes, links
# new gearbox mount
# new engine mounts
# braking has improved noticeably (just cleaning)
# clutch action is better
# Hella 1000's on the front bumper
# Re-caliberated diesel pump & nozzles

The car is driving brilliantly. Has given up it's smoking habbit pulls cleanly, even absurd acceleration does not produce a plume of black smoke. The engine is crisp & smooth.

At the end of the day - well worth the wait. Thanks to Phil (speedsport) for the great job.

Will post some pics tommorow

Cheers
Old 27th June 2010, 17:21   #68
Senior - BHPian

Ok here are some pics, not the greatest I am afraid - but pics nonetheless !! :-) I was trying to capture the suspension without really lying down, hence only managed glimpses

And yes the Hella's are right there !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8-pajero-post-suspension-010.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8-pajero-post-suspension-009.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8-pajero-post-suspension-008.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8-pajero-post-suspension-006.jpg  

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 27th June 2010 at 17:23.
Old 27th June 2010, 17:52   #69
Senior - BHPian

Hey Ricky,
Hearty Congrats! on the purchase. One thing I would like to make into your notice is that, donot you think that the FIP gave-up much more early then it should? My TCIC is running perfectly on its original FIP(No overhaul) and the mighty engine has clocked 2Lac KMs.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 11:13   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Hey Ricky,
Hearty Congrats! on the purchase. One thing I would like to make into your notice is that, donot you think that the FIP gave-up much more early then it should? My TCIC is running perfectly on its original FIP(No overhaul) and the mighty engine has clocked 2Lac KMs.

Thanks - no the FIP did NOT give up at all. It was running well, but there were some instances of heavy black smoke, which I hate.

I therefore went in for re-caliberation of the system. She is now way better in power delivery & is totally smoke free.

Cheers
Old 2nd July 2010, 09:57   #71
Senior - BHPian

Default Pajero: Viable & Maintainable ?

Hi Ricky,
The Pajero, has been to me, like to the most of us, a vehicle of passion and respect. I m sure many of us can afford to buy a used one like the one you purchased and get it up to shape once. Also, since most of the aggregates haven't changed much over the years and the same model is being sold in India, the availability of spares and service should not be an issue as well. Please correct me if I m wrong here.

Going further, I believe it gives a decent mileage of around 10-11kmpl which is in line with most other SUVs even lower down the order.

My question is, how is the cost of the most commonly used spares compared to say, a Scorpio or a Safari and the service costs of the vehicle from your experience and do you think that the Pajero can be maintained by a person who can, for instance, maintain a Scorpio or a Safari as his daily drive? If not, what do you think would be the variance?
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 10:31   #72
Senior - BHPian

Talking Interesting questionaire !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Hi Ricky,
The Pajero, has been to me, like to the most of us, a vehicle of passion and respect. I m sure many of us can afford to buy a used one like the one you purchased and get it up to shape once. Also, since most of the aggregates haven't changed much over the years and the same model is being sold in India, the availability of spares and service should not be an issue as well. Please correct me if I m wrong here.

You are mostly right upto this point. Except one can get a brand new Safari for the price of a Pajero used for over 5 years.

Going further, I believe it gives a decent mileage of around 10-11kmpl which is in line with most other SUVs even lower down the order.

Mileage is around 7-9 kmpl have yet to see what mileage I am getting post the re-worked pump & injectors

My question is, how is the cost of the most commonly used spares compared to say, a Scorpio or a Safari and the service costs of the vehicle from your experience and do you think that the Pajero can be maintained by a person who can, for instance, maintain a Scorpio or a Safari as his daily drive? If not, what do you think would be the variance?

The parts of the Pajero are certainly more expensive than the Safari or Scorpio. For example the suspension overhaul cost 45k. What it costs for the Safari or Scorpio, I have no clue. I owned a Scorpio, but never got to a suspension overhaul.

Having said that the vehicle does not "demand" frequent visits to a workshop as it is built tough. Also the ride & handling is unparalleled

Cheers
Old 4th July 2010, 13:25   #73
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on getting her back after the suspension job.
BTW where did you get the work done, must be at an authorised workshop I am sure?
I will be watching your thread closely as I too would be taking the plunge of either the Pajero or a GV but would give it about 8-10 months before I decide on anything. So I would request you to please keep updating this thread with the minutest of details to help enthusiasts like me make a more informed decision.
thanks
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 15:05   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Congrats on getting her back after the suspension job.
BTW where did you get the work done, must be at an authorised workshop I am sure?
I will be watching your thread closely as I too would be taking the plunge of either the Pajero or a GV but would give it about 8-10 months before I decide on anything. So I would request you to please keep updating this thread with the minutest of details to help enthusiasts like me make a more informed decision.
thanks

Hi

I got the work done at "Speedsport" in Chattarpur. HM no longer has dealer in Gurgaon.

They are knowledgeable & are able to handle day to day repair & upkeep as well as major repairs. But you need patience as they are usually overloaded with work.

Cheers
Old 6th July 2010, 12:40   #75
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nice to see her back on the road. You made the right decisions; with older cars, preventive maintenance works best.

So, a Pajero & a W124...both timeless classics. What's next? A Jeep or a VW Beetle . I like your line of thought : would prefer to own a used Pajero + W124 any which day over a brand new 15 lakh (boring) car.

Time to take the Paj off-road and update with pictures then. Drive safe, Ricky.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote